test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rp Instance for DS9

Hi Im a member of the Rp community in Star trek online and a few of me and my friend are wondering if its possible for the Sto team to implement a Rp instance to DS9 so we have our own space to rp and not interupt the whole map with our local rp chats. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    You can probably make a foundry map if you want that. There are plenty of spaces to RP at. Otherwise, roll the dice and pick a low population one. The thing is, that all instances are open to RP. Segregation of instances for "RP," sort of goes against "Star Trek" being inclusive.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Also how do you determine who is an RPer and who isn't? Who decides if they are or not?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also how do you determine who is an RPer and who isn't? Who decides if they are or not?

Well, if you come across someone who catches your eye, you can always ask. And those who have a drawn out bio of some sort, or have it put into their bio specifically that they're an RPer.
  • Options
    teflin1teflin1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User

ichaerus1 wrote: »
    You can probably make a foundry map if you want that. There are plenty of spaces to RP at. Otherwise, roll the dice and pick a low population one. The thing is, that all instances are open to RP. Segregation of instances for "RP," sort of goes against "Star Trek" being inclusive.

Well to answer both your questions Im not saying, Close the space off to be esclusivelly for rpers or identify them so they can enter it. My Idea is, to have the Space open to every one (Otherwise No new rpers could join unless they had to go trough some sort of listing trouble not what I want that sounds deadful) The idea is too have it Open too all but simply labeled Rp Instance #__, and possibly coded to be a instance that no one spawns in when hopping on DS9 but is always active ((I suppose a Always active Instance)). So to join it you'd have to switch map to this instance. because Instance #1 is always a pain to get in the idea is to create a easier open Instance for anyone who wishes to rp on DS9
  • Options
    teflin1 wrote: »

Well to answer both your questions Im not saying, Close the space off to be esclusivelly for rpers or identify them so they can enter it. My Idea is, to have the Space open to every one (Otherwise No new rpers could join unless they had to go trough some sort of listing trouble not what I want that sounds deadful) The idea is too have it Open too all but simply labeled Rp Instance #__, and possibly coded to be a instance that no one spawns in when hopping on DS9 but is always active ((I suppose a Always active Instance)). So to join it you'd have to switch map to this instance. because Instance #1 is always a pain to get in the idea is to create a easier open Instance for anyone who wishes to rp on DS9

Some people might see that as a doggie whistle to interlope into, for the sole purpose of disruption though. The times that I'm in RP mode(which are less frequent nowadays, as I'm focusing on upgrading my fleet, and generating the resources to do so), I go with what instance I land in. If people see that, and come over, awesome. If not, no worries. Or I plan out a location with players, and we meet there at a certain time, for a certain amount of time. Sometimes, I create a draw that gets people talking and doing stuff.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    I'm not a roleplayer so I may be wrong, but don't you folks generally use instance 1 as the roleplay instance?
  • Options
    I'm not a roleplayer so I may be wrong, but don't you folks generally use instance 1 as the roleplay instance?

A lot of lemmings do, yes. For some reason, they try to pile into instance 1 for the same old, same old, and if they can't, they aren't able to adapt much contingency, because the idea that there are other instances of Quark's, is alien to them. I've come across roleplayers who will whine that if RP isn't done at the bar for instance 1, that it doesn't count as "real RP," or they go there, to "see what happens next." And so a vicious, stagnant cycle continues.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Those people who insist that RP isn't RP unless it's done a certain way aren't worth RPing with to begin with. Anyone who can't be flexible enough to find another instance/adapt to whatever situation aren't worth the trouble. It's patently stupid to insist that RP (or anything else) be done a certain way or it isn't <insert activity here>.

Every instance is identical to every other instance, so what makes instance 1 so special?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    What I want to see is the removal of the huge NPC train which is overcrowding quarks so much I dont WANT to RP there.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    Those people who insist that RP isn't RP unless it's done a certain way aren't worth RPing with to begin with. Anyone who can't be flexible enough to find another instance/adapt to whatever situation aren't worth the trouble. It's patently stupid to insist that RP (or anything else) be done a certain way or it isn't <insert activity here>.

Every instance is identical to every other instance, so what makes instance 1 so special?

Instance 1 isn't as special as the regular denizens make it out to be. It has a few regulars who try to rule the roost and act hoity-toity, and the rest are either lazy, or toadies, or adverse to new concepts.
  • Options
    lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    An extended bio is by no means evidence of RP. Several of my toons have extensive bios but I don't know if anyone's ever bothered to read them. I do look at others' sometimes but most are boringly blank. :(

Well, if you come across someone who catches your eye, you can always ask. And those who have a drawn out bio of some sort, or have it put into their bio specifically that they're an RPer.

• Options
    An extended bio is by no means evidence of RP. Several of my toons have extensive bios but I don't know if anyone's ever bothered to read them. I do look at others' sometimes but most are boringly blank. :(

It's evidence of RP. But not necessarily "active status RP," or "interaction with others RP." If a character catches my attention, I send a PM to the player, asking permission to read the bio OOCly(it's impolite to stare for so long. :P ). And then move from there, to get to chatting with the player if possible. To see if they are interested in creating a co-op specific story arc together. It all depends on your approach to others.
  • Options
    teflin1teflin1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Well I am sorry I only considered asking because I thought it was a brillient idea, although maybe I should of though it out more. Thought it might help some peeps but I guess maybe this isnt a great idea as asking this looks like speical status call above things ((Not something I want honestly Guess I didnt realise)). Idk. I just thought it might help the community their. but considering this maybe i'll just let this idea go. Again sorry I dont believe my intention was to make it speical stutus for rpers to the rest of the game, Didnt really even think of that. So yeah.

• Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    it would be nice if there could be a high instance number always opne, like instance 21 for example. I don't know if that can be programmed though
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    gradii wrote: »
    What I want to see is the removal of the huge NPC train which is overcrowding quarks so much I dont WANT to RP there.

Your not the only one that wants the train removed. Reminds me of the Union Episode when Quarks Workers go on Strike. Including his Brother who ends up becoming the Grand Nagus at the end of the show. Point is Quark might not want to have people protesting in his bar so they should remove those npcs pace training around like a protest no need for them to be there. None what so ever.

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @ichaerus1 said:
    > lapprenticel wrote: »
    >
    > An extended bio is by no means evidence of RP. Several of my toons have extensive bios but I don't know if anyone's ever bothered to read them. I do look at others' sometimes but most are boringly blank. :(
    > ichaerus1 wrote: »
    >
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > Also how do you determine who is an RPer and who isn't? Who decides if they are or not?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, if you come across someone who catches your eye, you can always ask. And those who have a drawn out bio of some sort, or have it put into their bio specifically that they're an RPer.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's evidence of RP. But not necessarily "active status RP," or "interaction with others RP." If a character catches my attention, I send a PM to the player, asking permission to read the bio OOCly(it's impolite to stare for so long. :P ). And then move from there, to get to chatting with the player if possible. To see if they are interested in creating a co-op specific story arc together. It all depends on your approach to others.

I have written some extensive bios for my characters, but they aren't in game. I sometimes stick a small note in a boff's bio but that's about as far as it goes.

See I actually do RP, just not in video games, I RP with a table, books; polyhedral dice, a group of RL friends, and a massive supply of caffinated beverages. I also write material for the (out of print) DC Heroes RPG which is stored on writeups.org (one of the 2 or 3 online resources still around for DCH). So a person could be a RPer but all of the stuff you list here, except possibly actual conversation, won't give you that answer.

I know this may seem an odd message for me after the thread so far, my actual problem with RPers in this thread (& others) is the attitude that RP is somehow equally or more important than concerns of the game functioning or that extra expense should be taken to tailor the game to RPers to meet unrealistic demands (such as creating a "permanent RP instance").

It won't always give the answer fully, but it will give info. The final step, is to make contact with the other player. And like you, I do the RP w/ books, dice, table, and friends. Hell, I used to RP years ago with Legos and G.I. Joe, among other toys. Different methods, different mediums for roleplaying.