test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not making players able to play a Vorta in "Victory is Life" is a big mistake

13»

Comments

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    In case people didn't read it: Odo enhanced the new Vorta with better eyesight, taste, and the ability to carry a music tune and appreciation for art.

Is that official or a theoretical proposal for how a playable Vorta might be implemented?

I was vaguely wondering why we didn't see more Gamma Quadrant species offered, like Karemma, Dosi, etc for the Dominion faction as playable species.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    tilarta wrote: »
    In case people didn't read it: Odo enhanced the new Vorta with better eyesight, taste, and the ability to carry a music tune and appreciation for art.

Is that official or a theoretical proposal for how a playable Vorta might be implemented?

I was vaguely wondering why we didn't see more Gamma Quadrant species offered, like Karemma, Dosi, etc for the Dominion faction as playable species.

Theoretical (Unless I missed something)

That said, agreed. Especially the Karemma, considering the Devs apparently took the time to update the species so they look more like they do in the show (based on the refugees on DS9)

I also wouldn't have minded seeing some of the Dominion's allied species joining the fight, the Breen most of all (Seriously, they haven't done TRIBBLE since their Feature Episode arc, and the DS9 Expansion would be a *perfect* excuse to bring them out of the cooler, pun intended).
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    > @tilarta said:
    > terranempire#7881 wrote: »
    >
    > In case people didn't read it: Odo enhanced the new Vorta with better eyesight, taste, and the ability to carry a music tune and appreciation for art.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Is that official or a theoretical proposal for how a playable Vorta might be implemented?
    >
    > I was vaguely wondering why we didn't see more Gamma Quadrant species offered, like Karemma, Dosi, etc for the Dominion faction as playable species.

Proposal, sorry. I should have worded that more carefully. It was referring to making a Vorta exclusive pack upgrade version of the Vanguard Jem'Hadar . None of the previous DS9 era Vorta have these feats. Weyoun mentions them and wishes he could do some of these things. But if Odo does it for the bloodthirsty Jem'Hadar I don't see why he wouldn't help improve the quality of life like Vorta/Weyoun.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Then, I will wait on the Devs to make Vortas or Alien Gen before i bother with Victory is Life.

I got plenty of Delta Recruits to keep me company. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Then, I will wait on the Devs to make Vortas or Alien Gen before i bother with Victory is Life.

I got plenty of Delta Recruits to keep me company. :)

You could always try it first... then delete it. but yeah... I too would rather wait for Alien/Vorta. I have too many slots as it is and on top of that I want a least one cardi. Damn I really have too many toons. I have this problem in Star Wars as well.

Sure is going to be a long wait for playable Vorta. Counting the days already.

Misato-Katsuragi-Is-Bored-Browsing-The-Internet-On-Evangelion-Anime.gif​​
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    edited May 2018
    You could always try it first... then delete it. but yeah... I too would rather wait for Alien/Vorta. I have too many slots as it is and on top of that I want a least one cardi. Damn I really have too many toons. I have this problem in Star Wars as well.

Sure is going to be a long wait for playable Vorta. Counting the days already.​​

Definitely making a Cardassian...I like them. I have 2 character slots available....I may make a Fed aligned one along with the KDF Aligned. :)

(Thanks to the dudes in the thread spewing Cardassian/Klingon hate last week or so....see Terry Pratchett quote in siggy)

Which means: Vorta is going to have to wait for more slots, anyways.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited May 2018
    As much as it pains me to make another fed aligned character I'll be going fed. Mainly because I think my Cardassian would have a hard time working alongside the KDF. You know with the whole colony slaughter/neck bone necklace thing and the war. Not sure about Dominion though. Don't know who to side with.

If Roms had their own third faction I'd probably have them side with them for both Cardassian/Dom.​​
    As much as it pains me to make another fed aligned character I'll be going fed. Mainly because I think my Cardassian would have a hard time working alongside the KDF. You know with the whole colony slaughter/neck bone necklace thing and the war. Not sure about Dominion though. Don't know who to side with.

If Roms had their own third faction I'd probably have them side with them for both Cardassian/Dom.​​

I have no idea about that bone necklace thing. No one I asked remembers anything like it.
    I wonder if they are just thinking it is too gross to share with me.

edited May 2018
    I found it. One General Leskit... http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Leskit

LOL! They are getting upset about one General taking trophies of victory in battle???

What do people think happens in wars with close combat?
    What do they think happen to minds of men in such battles? It is never pretty.
    Matter of fact, you don't even have to be in a battle to see something you can't unsee.

I am making my Cardassian on the KDF side.

I am, also, adding Soldiers of the Empire Season 5 Episode 21
    To my list of shows to catch before Victory is Life hits.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Soldiers_of_the_Empire_(episode)

edited May 2018
    > @where2r1 said:
    > I found it. One General Leskit... http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Leskit
    >
    > LOL! They are getting upset about one General taking trophies of victory in battle???
    >
    > What do people think happens in wars with close combat?
    > What do they think happen to minds of men in such battles? It is never pretty.
    > Matter of fact, you don't even have to be in a battle to see something you can't unsee.
    >
    > I am making my Cardassian on the KDF side.
    >
    > I am, also, adding Soldiers of the Empire Season 5 Episode 21
    > To my list of shows to catch before Victory is Life hits.
    >
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Soldiers_of_the_Empire_(episode)

Lol. Sure. But that was gruesome... I thought that was messed up until I saw Discovery Ep with Captain's body/skull getting eaten by zealot Klingons (if you can call those potatoes Klingons) with her own badge as tooth pick... And don't Cardassians take the whole dead body thing with outsiders seriously? Maybe it was just Dukat lying as usual. Regardless I don't want my Cardassian going on about honour it just doesn't fit for me. But being enemy with the feds in early missions does seem tempting. Plus that Bajoran Lt. says "Let's teach those dirty cardies a lesson" lol damn racist. Oh that is a great episode. Ds9 has lot of good ones.
    edited May 2018
    I watched the Episode.

First thing: Leskit is an TRIBBLE. I would have shot him dead for lipping off the way he did. I wouldn't want people like him in my battalion much less on my crew.

Trophies is trophies...people collect all sorts of horrid things. Hunters of all ilk have questionable practices....including digging up bones of the dead, treasures and artifacts from the long gone (civilizations, if you want to make it sound nicer).

In battle, the kindest thing to expect from an enemy is a swift death.
    At least, Leskit gave them that....and the Cardies went down fighting for their people.

Leskit has bad taste....but he did not set out to kill Cardassians to collect their bones (or heads for mounting on a wall, or sell to museums for profit).

edited May 2018
    But would you want to work with groups like that in battle? Say bunch TRIBBLE off your mother and sister's heads off and used bits of them to make a necklace. Maybe some like Garek wouldn't mind as Cardassians did pretty horrible things during the war and teamed up with genocide happy conquers like the Dominion and they got their karma. Still I probably go with the side that did less damage and helped rebuild the crumbling mess afterwards. That would be the feds. Resistance is futile O_[°]
    edited May 2018
    I said: I wouldn't want him in my Battalion much less my crew. LOL!
    War, unfortunately, is not TV.

Do I want him (and people like him) on my side in a battle...yes.
    They are nuts, but you have to be...to get it done.
    Practically, every Marine and Special Ops I have met is nuts.

The Jem'hadar (possibly the Romulans) is more likely to have no qualms about killing people unable to defend themselves, the old, the weak and children. They have no discretion, no remorse. Just orders. They are programmed to follow them....and kill or die trying. They are about as close to a "Killing Machine" you could have, without being robots.

The Vorta even admitted in "Call to Arms"....without Ketracel White to keep them in check, the Jem'hadar would be animals, killing everyone around them. Eventually, turn on themselves to kill each other.

The Klingons with their idea that battles be equal fights or it is not worthy? Nah. Besides, Leskit says he took them from the Cardies he killed in battle and praised them for being worthy opponents. At least the Cardies were worthy warriors...or it is not worth bragging about.

The Founders one mistake when they created the Jem'hadar....
    The Founders accelerated the Jem'hadar's ability to learn.

I think that is what is going to bite them in the TRIBBLE in the end.

I said: I wouldn't want him in my Battalion much less my crew. LOL!
    War, unfortunately, is not TV.

Do I want him (and people like him) on my side in a battle...yes.
    They are nuts, but you have to be...to get it done.
    Practically, every Marine and Special Ops I have met is nuts.

The Jem'hadar (possibly the Romulans) is more likely to have no qualms about killing people unable to defend themselves, the old, the weak and children. They have no discretion, no remorse. Just orders. They are programmed to follow them....and kill or die trying. They are about as close to a "Killing Machine" you could have, without being robots.

The Vorta even admitted in "Call to Arms"....without Ketracel White to keep them in check, the Jem'hadar would be animals, killing everyone around them. Eventually, turn on themselves to kill each other.

The Klingons with their idea that battles be equal fights or it is not worthy? Nah. Besides, Leskit says he took them from the Cardies he killed in battle and praised them for being worthy opponents. At least the Cardies were worthy warriors...or it is not worth bragging about.

Ok you convinced me. I might change my mind and side with the KDF. But then I won't be able to do my arrogant stride walk on Sol Earth Spackdock with my Cardassian (and possibly Vorta if they ever get implemented) and flaunt my superiority at them.

M28RbxF.gif

And don't forget the smell! Tal Shiar: "What's that stench? It must be the Klingons!"​​

I think that is what is going to bite them in the **** in the end.

Perhaps, but they still have unwavering belief that they are their gods and loyalty instinct built into them. Given enough time they might make up their own minds as they age. But still really strong instinct. Hard to fight something like your own genetics.​​
    Hee hee hee....that sounds like fun! Lets get all the Cardassians together and strut around ESD and First City. LOL!

• filip1117filip1117 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    They are being such sticklers for what Vortas were on the TV show.....
    Did they forget about this on Jem'hadar???

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/To_the_Death_(episode)
    They are bred in "birthing chambers" (and for that reason, their species has no females) and their growth cycle is such that they reach maturity and are ready to fight within three days;

They do not sleep, eat, or engage in any kind of recreational activity; and

Because of the frequency with which they are deployed in battle, their lifespans are extremely short; no Jem'Hadar has ever reached the age of thirty, and those that reach age twenty are considered "Honored Elders"; Virak'kara himself is only eight, and appears stunned when Dax casually mentions that she's over three hundred.

All they do is fight. They don't have sexual relations. No relaxing. And they die. They must get their ration of Ketracel White every week.

And yet, through the powers of storytelling....
    The Devs can transform Jem'hadar into a stable, long lived, guy you want to party with on Risa. But Vortas are written off as "useless".

Thankfully, the Vorta haven't been written off, and I believe the Devs mentioned in today's stream that they, along with Changelings (sadly), are on the "Things we want to do" list.

I personally wouldn't mind Vorta, as long as they come with the appropriate ups and downs of being a Vorta.

For ground, they could have (slight) penalties to perception and weapon accuracy, but have super high toxin/radiation resistance (possibly even Immunity) and optional Telepathy/Telekinesis.

For space, they could get a space-based "Teamwork" trait of sorts (Could increase damage/accuracy for self and nearby allies), and a slight cooldown reduction for Bridge Officer powers. Also as a little passive side bonus, they could gain maybe 5% increased Diplomacy XP from duty officer missions and the like.

The Vorta aren't really fighters, but when they do take to the field, it's usually when they're commanding a starship in space combat. Hence, while the Jem'Hadar have traits that make them stronger in ground combat, the Vorta would have stuff that gives them an edge in space combat.

Why the "(sadly)" for changelings? I understand not everyone wants to play them, but as long as they balance them properly, more options for players is always a good thing.

I think that is what is going to bite them in the **** in the end.

Perhaps, but they still have unwavering belief that they are their gods and loyalty instinct built into them. Given enough time they might make up their own minds as they age. But still really strong instinct. Hard to fight something like your own genetics.​​

Vorta tend to be on the receiving end of misfortune whenever a Jem'Hadar "wises up" (as Weyoun can attest), since the Jem'Hadar *are* bred to be loyal to the Founders, much more so than the Vorta. Despite that, there are outright renegades (like the Jem'Hadar who took control of that Iconian Gateway in "To The Death")

Also, that's a pretty accurate assumption regarding age and independent thought as, to quote Memory Beta, "Starfleet analysis of the Jem'Hadar revealed that as they aged they tended to become less violent and more thoughtful and disciplined, even starting to question the status-quo of "the order of things".".
    @MGoblin256

Goran'Agar is all the proof we need that a Jem'Hadar does have potential to change who they are when freed from a dependence on Ketracel White.
    He had a genetic anomaly, his body automatically manufactures the White he needs to survive, freeing him from needing an external source of it.

When his supply ran out and he gave it up, given enough time, he started to question everything he previously thought as unshakeable, even doubting if the Founders were what they claimed to be.
    He even showed signs of changing to be more compassionate and tolerant.

Which makes me wonder if the external Ketracel White has something added to it to ensure obedience, something that keeps Jem'Hadar passive and loyal.
    Which could explain why they become violent when they have none to use, they're basically experiencing the natural response to medical withdrawal, unreasoning rage and pain.

Then we have Ikat'ika, who despite being a loyal soldier, chose to spare Worf's life, even though he knew all it would achieve was that they would be executed together.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    You know what I think of playable Vorta not being a feature in this add-on. No Vorta ... No Play. Lots of players will be very disappointed when they see the character creation window and then ONLY Jham'Hadar and nothing else (not even Alien or Liberated Borg). Also, what I hoped to see for a new faction (yeah, half-faction) is a distinctive homeworld, be it the Founder's homeworld or Cardassia Prime ... that is another huge opportunity missed to give the game a new massive social zone to play with.

I know, DS9 Revamp and Gamma Sector (including reputation and battles and level progression to 65) are worth to call it a "Season", but for an "Expansion", I really expected more, sorry that I have to say this as a Bug Hunter (part of the team). But as a true Vorta, I have to express my opinion about the Dominion expansion and without the Vorta as a playable species and without aliens and also without a distinctive social zone (Cardassia, Omarion Nebula, whatever), it's not even half a faction anymore.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
    I do comprehend how not getting your desired playable species can cause one not to want to play in a faction.

I am hoping that if enough players request Vorta as a playable species, Cryptic will be motivated to actually make it happen.

Let's be honest, there aren't enough options when it comes to playable species for Dominion, so even one more would be significant.

tilarta wrote: »
    I do comprehend how not getting your desired playable species can cause one not to want to play in a faction.

I am hoping that if enough players request Vorta as a playable species, Cryptic will be motivated to actually make it happen.

Let's be honest, there aren't enough options when it comes to playable species for Dominion, so even one more would be significant.

Problem is: it already exists as an option in the Tailor. One CAN "Alien Gen" a Vorta captain in the KDF, Fed, and Rom faction....just can not do it on the Dominion.

Just like, you can "Alien Gen" a Jem'Hadar, and, I believe, Cardassian and Reman and Romulan....all in the Tailor.

My Fleet Leader (KDF) has such a crew. Vorta Captain with an entire BOFF crew of Jem'hadar....all from the tailor.

Of course, they do not have the "proper" costumes. That would be a nice change when they add the Jem'hadar and Cardassians. Access to the entire "look".

• pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Not only do I want the option of a playable Vorta captain, but I want the option of purchasing male or female Vorta bridge officers. If Odo's Vanguard fleet is so committed to changing the way the Dominion hierarchy works (like having a Jem'Hadar first in direct command of a ship rather than the Vorta) then I want the option of having Vorta bridge officers work under me.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    The DS9 Luckbox will at least give you a chance to get a Holoboff Loriss or Weyoun. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    That would be cool to play a vorta, and have a bunch of jem’hadar under you. You can choose your first, and give them the white when you feel like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    I'll just pretend I am the Vorta.
    No, not merely using one, BEING one who has a little camera drone following the First and making him do what I want via real-time communications.

There, issue solved.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I'll just pretend I am the Vorta.
    No, not merely using one, BEING one who has a little camera drone following the First and making him do what I want via real-time communications.

There, issue solved.

I was thinking of getting Holo-Weyoun to serve as my Jem’Hadar’s advisor/XO, that way I have a Vorta on my bridge in some capacity
    @MGoblin256