test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Using the Ignore function

When you search, there seems to be a lot of variability in what folks seem to think it does. What specifically does it do?

- Block incoming chat?
- Prevent teaming - including pug STFs? If I queue, will I NOT be placed in one with someone I've blocked?
- Does the other person get notified?
- What if you Ignore someone in your own fleet? Does it create some crazy conflict, given how much of the social stuff is tied to fleets?
- Is there a maximum number of blocked players?

Obviously, if there is some place where this is clearly outlined, am happy to go read for myself. But, if there is, I'm clearly not searching for the right terms to find it.

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    I think you cannot form a team with someone who is ignored/has you on ignore. At least, I ran into that issue on Defera once.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's sketchy at best though.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone post something in Zone, I click on them and add to ignore and get an error that I am already ignoring them.

I constantly see stuff from people I have ignored. I'm not fully convinced that Ignore works at all.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I actually haven't had that issue. But I regularily run into "half conversations" (and in Risa during summer it will be very visible again) making me realize I blocked the correct player. (Although sometimes somebody blocked apparently said something game wise)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Most of my block list consists of gold spammers, with a few I've ignored because they're obnoxious enough for me to put them on ignore. Those types are very few. I'd say about 99% of my ignore list is gold spammers.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    echatty wrote: »
    Most of my block list consists of gold spammers, with a few I've ignored because they're obnoxious enough for me to put them on ignore. Those types are very few. I'd say about 99% of my ignore list is gold spammers.

Same. And all the gold sellers were via in game e-mail. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

Same. And all the gold sellers were via in game e-mail. lol

Yes. I haven't seen gold sellers in chat for the longest time, but I still get ingame emails with it. Instant report/ignore.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Yup. If any use chat, they probably use Zone Chat in ESD. And I typically leave Zone Chat in my "Zone Trollin" tab in case I want to venture in there for a good laugh or I feel like seeing if a new player needs some advice.

Usually its just a good laugh or some aggrivation at the subject being talked about. Got some really cancerous individuals that pop up in Zone who just love stirring the pot so to speak.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    I think you cannot form a team with someone who is ignored/has you on ignore. At least, I ran into that issue on Defera once.
    I recently was on a team for the defera hards with somebody that had me on ignore. A third party was team lead and took care of the inviting so this would be a different situation than yours where a party on ignore can't even see team invites to accept them.
    I'd say about 99% of my ignore list is gold spammers.
    Myself as well. Don't think I've ever put anybody on ignore except gold spammers tbh.

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

I have not observed that, I've had at least one case where I reported and blocked somebody for AFKing an "Azure Nebula Rescue" and still got teamed with him later (both were pugs). I know it's been proposed multiple times, though.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I'm not talking about getting randomly thrown together in a pug through the queues. I'm talking about inviting someone to team, putting together a premade team. Apparently it's possible if a third party actually forms the team, but if you or the ignored/ignoring person try teaming together directly, it won't work. As I said, that was my experience on Defera, but that's also been awhile ago.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User

Exactly the same for me, people tend to be nice in this community!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

I've never heard of this. [Citation required]
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    I stated right there and then again that it was my personal experience. I experienced this particular phenomenon. This was the explanation given by a system notification when I was unable to team with a particular individual on Defera. I don't know what other sort of citation you want. :confused:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    r0m#7631 wrote: »

Well... ESD Zone Chat can be rather cancerous at times.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    r0m#7631 wrote: »

Well... ESD Zone Chat can be rather cancerous at times.

For the most part, yes.

And Risa during the SE.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I stated right there and then again that it was my personal experience. I experienced this particular phenomenon. This was the explanation given by a system notification when I was unable to team with a particular individual on Defera. I don't know what other sort of citation you want. :confused:

I think we're at cross-purposes here. :) If by 'forming a team' you meant inviting ppl manually, to be in your team, then yes, it makes sense for that not to work when you have someone on ignore. But when you were talking about 'forming a team', I thought you meant you can't be queued with someone on your ignore list, to form a team. The latter -- whilst often suggested by ppl -- has never been implemented.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited May 2018

gold spammers and the idiots that invite you to join thier fleet 20 times even though you keep hitting NO
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I think we're at cross-purposes here. :) If by 'forming a team' you meant inviting ppl manually, to be in your team, then yes, it makes sense for that not to work when you have someone on ignore. But when you were talking about 'forming a team', I thought you meant you can't be queued with someone on your ignore list, to form a team. The latter -- whilst often suggested by ppl -- has never been implemented.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Manually forming a team. :) I know that ignore doesn't keep you from being auto-teamed in the queue system.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    One thing people need to know is if you try to pm someone who has pm's set to friends only it will appear as if they are ignoring you when they aren't.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Even chat in sector space took a nose dive when certain election came along and its maintained the depth it sank to.

Normally I clear an online games every few months but the purge for STO in on hiatus.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Sadly, with summer coming chat will get worse with the kids out fo school
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    mecaldarmecaldar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I have the usual spam/gold sellers/any one that brings real world issues into the game and rant about it because they must show every one their true way is the right way to live. And the usual nut cases that should never be aloud to be on a chat but some how have enough brain power to type. Oh and lets not for get the political stuff that seems to be popping up of late. Yea thank god there is no limit or else I be force to pick who to block.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    When you search, there seems to be a lot of variability in what folks seem to think it does. What specifically does it do?

- Block incoming chat?
    - Prevent teaming - including pug STFs? If I queue, will I NOT be placed in one with someone I've blocked?
    - Does the other person get notified?
    - What if you Ignore someone in your own fleet? Does it create some crazy conflict, given how much of the social stuff is tied to fleets?
    - Is there a maximum number of blocked players?

Obviously, if there is some place where this is clearly outlined, am happy to go read for myself. But, if there is, I'm clearly not searching for the right terms to find it.

none of that matters much when someone has dozens of accounts and they can spam you endlessly even when you think you blocked them. the ignore feature is useless and i never seen it any different.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    It's sketchy at best though.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone post something in Zone, I click on them and add to ignore and get an error that I am already ignoring them.

I constantly see stuff from people I have ignored. I'm not fully convinced that Ignore works at all.

I agree as well. Just a few days I was teamed in Mirror event with someone whom I put on ignore. Putting people into ignore makes you feel better but at times is not a fool proof process and might fail as some put it here as well.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif