test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else letdown by the new expansion?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    sounds like some people should not play MMO's if they care that much about max gear.
  • Options
    hdoggyhdoggy Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    It'd be nice if we would have gotten MkXVI+. Canon had MkXVI in the TNG movies.
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I may not be enthusiastic about a few elements presented so far for Victory Is Life, but I don't feel let down about it.

We all will value whether or not this expansion offers enough we could like & enjoy then decide to purchase it or not.

I also don't think all the details are out yet regarding this expansion.

The voice talent for the characters I think Cryptic has done a tremendous job on with my only concern being will there be enough quality opportunity for all of that voice talent.

I still think most of the novelty items: the exp. boosts (even with the recent increase) the paltry upgrades & the (6) titles galore in the package are mostly "fluff", but the compliment of ships offered is decent I guess.

I'm still wondering how there will be a tie-in to the Summer Event via purchasable item(s).

For me, the two biggest omissions are the absence of a Vorta playable character & a Dominion "bug" ship included in the package. I don't feel let down about it, I do wish they were included, but that will simply weigh in on my decision to purchase the package.

The most prolific reason why I'm not let down is that since the expansion isn't released yet I haven't played it.

• Options
    w00qw00q Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Did not have the time to check all six (6) pages of this forum thread before posting (sorry):

==> I will votie with my wallet here; I refuse to buy any T6 ships (or upcoming T7 ships for that matter) that prevents character-wide ship unlock, until Cryptic forces you to play that ship to T6 Ship Mastery Unlock.
    ==> So what is next, each and every upcoming T7 ships have T7 Ship Master Unlock before character-wide ship unlock takes effect?

This T6 Jem'Hadar ship lock-out from all characters applies to these proposed ships:

a) T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Raider

b) T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser

c) T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Warship

Source:
    www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10881114-announcing-two-new-discount-packs-for-victory-is-life%21
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm a little less optimistic. Without a significant increase in NPC difficulty/hitpoints, I don't think Cryptic will assume enough incentive for peeps to upgrade again. But we'll see it first, like you say.
    ^^^
    To be fair, if you just want to be able to complete the majority of content that exists now, there's ZERO incentive to upgrade past MkXII gear. The players doing the max upgrades aren't doing it because of the PvE content. They're doing it because their DPS epeen MUST be the best (or their PvP epeen must tower uber alles.)

There's really no PvE Content (well perhaps Battle of Korfez) that rweally requires max gear, or decent knowledge of combat mechanics in the game. It's all DPS ladder related, or someone with OCD/self need to see every item geared on their ship/PC and MkXIV (soon MkXV) 'Gold' status (with what is commonly consider the best Combat boosts attached (IE {Dmg], [Pen], [CritD], [CritH], etc.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    By the goddess, they added a Phoenix box event! :) I am now more-or-less Summer ready. Got 1,200 Phoenix Upgrades and 1,200 Tech boosts (no quality boosts needed). I still won't be able to upgrade everything with that, but it should carry me a good deal along the way.

Now all we need is an Upgrade Weekend, after the Expansion.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    I'd rather have the upgrade weekend happen before the expansion because it will cost more to get things epic due to the mark 15 TP increase. Depending on the item, it costs around 9 extra phoenix upgrades per item to go from ultra rare to epic at mk 15 compared to mk 14. And 9 x 2,300 dil (average dil cost of phoenix upgrade based on opening several thousand packs) is an extra 20,700 dil per item.
  • Options
    I'd rather have the upgrade weekend happen before the expansion because it will cost more to get things epic due to the mark 15 TP increase. Depending on the item, it costs around 9 extra phoenix upgrades per item to go from ultra rare to epic at mk 15 compared to mk 14. And 9 x 2,300 dil (average dil cost of phoenix upgrade based on opening several thousand packs) is an extra 20,700 dil per item.

True that. But doing so before the Expansion means no one with all-Epic gear can benefit from the event.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    The upgrade weekend needs to happen both before and after so I can get my gear epic and then put it to mark 15. It likely will happen soon after the expansion which is only a month away now.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    I wouldn't say let down per se , as I think the Dominion expansion is looking exciting as it is something new to STO, I just wish it included the Cardassian as well with an intricate tutorial and plot, with Cardassian costumes, hair styles, and ships.

Though the Jemy expansion does bring some Cardy vessels, their design is a huge let down. They steer away from the true Cardassian designs, and there are so much reference materials out there and Cryptic choosed to ignore those designs. Heck; games like Star Trek Invasion had some really cool Cardassian designs, yet none were used. What we have are triangles, fugly flying triangles.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    > @stark2k said:
    > I wouldn't say let down per se , as I think the Dominion expansion is looking exciting as it is something new to STO, I just wish it included the Cardassian as well with an intricate tutorial and plot, with Cardassian costumes, hair styles, and ships.
    >
    > Though the Jemy expansion does bring some Cardy vessels, their design is a huge let down. They steer away from the true Cardassian designs, and there are so much reference materials out there and Cryptic choosed to ignore those designs. Heck; games like Star Trek Invasion had some really cool Cardassian designs, yet none were used. What we have are triangles, fugly flying triangles.

I love the design of the Cardassian Intel ships, they all look influenced by the Keldon and Galor Cruisers.

Looking at their pictures I have a feeling they and the Keldon and Galor Cruisers will be able to share parts.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Caught a preview video of the BZ stuff and it pretty much confirmed my suspicions that it would be indeed a glorified patrols thing.

Joining one looked like you had to wait for a form group timer instead of just joining as you might for the DSE's. Potentially means that you are forced to wait and also forced into pugging. Not to mention the umpteen loading screens going in and back.
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    With all of the concern about "having" to upgrade gear from MK-XIV to MK-XV, I'm curious how much of this happened when DR came out and players "had" to upgrade from MK-XII to MK-XIV. I suppose one consolation is that we're having to upgrade by only one mark level this time.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    cross821 wrote: »
    sounds like some people should not play MMO's if they care that much about max gear.

Very true and the sooner they realize this is how they play your mind so you really need to have all the latest shinnies and best of the best gear... they truly see a sucker who is willing to spend a lifetime of resources/money/time grinding unnecessary stuff to bloat someone else's coffers.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    With all of the concern about "having" to upgrade gear from MK-XIV to MK-XV, I'm curious how much of this happened when DR came out and players "had" to upgrade from MK-XII to MK-XIV. I suppose one consolation is that we're having to upgrade by only one mark level this time.

When DR came out, it was pure carnage. :) Now - in this thread, at least - it seems nobody minds the new upgrading, but me. Of course, with ca 300 pieces of Epic gear, I have *reason* to mind.

I heard a rumor, though, that upgrading from Mk XIV to Mk XV will NOT double the Upgrade XP requirements! Like from 160K for a space weapon (iirc), to 320K; but that the step from Mk XIV to XV will be the same as the step from Mk XIII to Mk XIV: aka, 'just' 160K. If true, that would literally cut my concerns in half.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    saipan2saipan2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    upgrade to XV sounds fun, glad i only play 1 toon
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Caught a preview video of the BZ stuff and it pretty much confirmed my suspicions that it would be indeed a glorified patrols thing.

Joining one looked like you had to wait for a form group timer instead of just joining as you might for the DSE's. Potentially means that you are forced to wait and also forced into pugging. Not to mention the umpteen loading screens going in and back.

Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. The new Battlezone was what I was hoping to be the repeatable content that would keep me playing past the handful of announced missions, but having to warp out, Sector travel over to another zone, and then queue again is not that great of an idea. It addresses certain issues that Battlezones did have (like everyone traveling to the same zone, leaving some completely alone to have to be rushed back to in order to save,) but this 'fix' did so by adding extra steps which prevents a lot of the fun of Battlezones, where you can just drop in at any time and have a somewhat smooth transition from one phase to another. I hate loading screens and waiting for queues to pop. Though, these at least are supposed to pop even if you're the only one queued after a certain amount of time.

Official stream on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfviIsZnIGc
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    >

The designs from Star Trek Invasion are not owned by CBS and are not available for Cryptic to use in any way.

Agreed, but they are only samples, Cryptic can make their own unique designs similar to the ones from invasion, not exact but similar as there are more creative designs out there other from that particular game. Heck I would settle for anotehr design competition.

StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Speaking of expansion,.. how many toons can u have on an account?
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. The new Battlezone was what I was hoping to be the repeatable content that would keep me playing past the handful of announced missions, but having to warp out, Sector travel over to another zone, and then queue again is not that great of an idea. It addresses certain issues that Battlezones did have (like everyone traveling to the same zone, leaving some completely alone to have to be rushed back to in order to save,) but this 'fix' did so by adding extra steps which prevents a lot of the fun of Battlezones, where you can just drop in at any time and have a somewhat smooth transition from one phase to another. I hate loading screens and waiting for queues to pop. Though, these at least are supposed to pop even if you're the only one queued after a certain amount of time.

Official stream on it:

I was really hoping that they'd had a chat with the neverwinter team on how to do a campaign with associated zones because those are actually pretty well done and don't feel repetitive despite the way that its pretty much all the classic "kill 10 rats" style tasks. STO team seem to be unwilling to get out of the rut of queue's that folk will probably abandon due to time/reward, churning out ships and lockboxes then scrape together whatevers left after va fees for making content.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

Official stream on it:

I was really hoping that they'd had a chat with the neverwinter team on how to do a campaign with associated zones because those are actually pretty well done and don't feel repetitive despite the way that its pretty much all the classic "kill 10 rats" style tasks. STO team seem to be unwilling to get out of the rut of queue's that folk will probably abandon due to time/reward, churning out ships and lockboxes then scrape together whatevers left after va fees for making content.

From that vid it looks like they just recycled older queues for the new zone. Meh.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Speaking of expansion,.. how many toons can u have on an account?

At present: 54
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch