test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Random crash to desktop

ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
Hello everybody,

I am experiencing random crash to the desktop from STO.
The crash happen randomly during playing and it seems to not be triggered by any specific action.
The strange thing is that neither the launcher nor windows see the crash.
Anybody else experiencing this? It already happen to me 4 times in the last 2 days since the last patch.

Comments

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Yes. One time only, so far.

It was on a new character and I wanted to re-arrange the HUD and that green screen was up for a split second and then I was staring at my cat on my desktop.

I did not even get that error report pop up. The game was up one second and gone the next.

Oh, when I called up the launcher to start the program again... that knew it had crashed and asked if I wanted to verify files. But I did not bother...because the program really wasn't doing anything with the server at the time.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mutiliousmutilious Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Got this too randomly crashing, goes straight to desktop, All started after the last update.

• Options
    borkettaborketta Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Me to, since last update. Crashes back to Desktop.
  • Options
    baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 678 Arc User
    I've had this happen a few time now. The crashes happened when opening the tailor window, C-store, and when trying to arrange the Hud.
  • Options
    eufigenieeufigenie Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    3 times today, yesterday it was okay.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,543 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    When these crashes occur are you running the 32-bit client or the 64-bit client of STO?
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Try the workaround found in this thread
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1239774/game-stable-before-update-04-26-now-game-ctd-6-times-in-1-day

So far I have had a single CTD so I haven't tried it myself, although I did bookmark the thread in case it starts happening regularly.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    I just added to the post I linked but I'll simplify it here. After you log in and your "Ready" and "Engage" buttons are lit, your options will then show the box for 32-bit client.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    Give the thanks to @derflib, he/she originally posted the fix, I just passed it along.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    It happened to me but only once (so far)
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    In the middle of play, the game just vanishes....no error messages or warning....just vanishing.
    Happened three times in the past several days. Each time was with a KDF character...dunno if its particular to that.

Anyone else having this issue?

This happened a few years ago, before AoY came out.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,646 Arc User
    Nope, just finished a decently long gameplay session with no issues, played Fed, KDF, KDF-Rom and TOS-Fed. Have you tried 'Force Verify' in the Launcher to see if it can find any corrupt files?
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,200 Arc User
    I've had this issue a few random times after doing certain things.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,732 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    As a heads up we don't allow bug reporting in the GenDisc area. Reason being it prevents devs and appropriate staff from seeing the reports in a timely manor and getting them fixed faster. Please refer future reports to their appropriate section of the bug reporting support forums. With the obligatory statements out of the way I'll be moving this into the appropriate forum and merging it with the other thread.

Threads have now been merged since they deal with the same bug essentially.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    Doing the 32 bit thing as a precaution. So far ok.

Last time this happened was shortly prior to the release of Agents of Yesterday.
    Maybe something when adding a new expansion has something to do with it? o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Nope, just finished a decently long gameplay session with no issues, played Fed, KDF, KDF-Rom and TOS-Fed. Have you tried 'Force Verify' in the Launcher to see if it can find any corrupt files?

They each happened, for me in either KDF character creation or in first city, in the exchange building.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,408 Arc User
    Been crashing at least 4 times a day here. Anything from tailor, logging in, clicking on skills, bio pages, saving loadouts, anything really... They really targed something up...
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,871 Arc User
    I was crashing to desktop a while back whenever I changed maps. That has been fixed now but now I also experience more random crashes.

It happened when I opened one of the Delta recruit reward boxes you get upon reaching level 10, it just now happened when accessing the episode screen and it has happened when accessing the trait and reputation tabs.

It only hasn't happened when actually playing the game in a battlezone or queue - but accessing the above mentioned screens or reward boxes in any other instance has resulted in random crashes now and then.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.