test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feet & stances: MANY more ankles broken than fixed after 14.5 update

duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
edited April 2018 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Re. this patch note: Resolved an issue which was causing idle animation of the feet to not animate as intended.

Result: thoughtful stance+animations appears more natural, but Swagger, Standard, Gruff, Creature, Twitchy, and Brawler appear to be broken (twitchy critically so). The update has created many more issues than it addressed. Examples:

Standard (male)
DZ4uewhX4AAoeKN.jpg

Standard (female)
DZ4x04SWsAEM8xR.jpg

Swagger (male)
DZ4vWrqX4AU67PC.jpg

Swagger (female)
DZ4x04vWsAEANUD.jpg

Brawler (male)
DZ4zqb6X0AAjA-h.jpg

Creature (male)
DZ4zZVrWAAU3K_u.jpg

Twitchy (female) - FUBAR, this stretches character limbs and distorts the entire body. This boff's proportions appear normal with other animations.
DZ41KLXW0AULtgr.jpg

Thoughtful, Relaxed, Stern, Seductive, Cute, and Feminine do not appear to have been badly affected. Recommendation: please revert changes, address the intended fix (thoughtful female?) another time. A lot has gone wrong.
Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    I have the same issue, the Twitchy stance is 100% broken now. Even the mouth is open.. fix this cryptic or give any life signal that you aknolage this issue.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @cerritourug said:
    > (....) aknolage (...)

Ö.ö

Also agree.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @cerritourug said:
    > (....) aknolage (...)

Ö.ö

Also agree.

Well, sorry for bad english but the point was clear.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Would like to suggest "Anklocalypse" as the operative term to refer to this/these bug(s). :tongue:

PS. one more example of Standard (just in case Crpytic is shrugging about whether or not this one's a problem). This picture is straight-on to the right foot. Shin angle: not possible without dislocation. This really isn't comfortable to look at (I felt nauseated taking the screenshot) and it's *standard.*

T2e3boX.jpg

I'm only logging in today on a "relaxed" character to complete the First Contact daily. I can't work around this issue or stomach through the unpleasant sensations across all toons and crews; including Foundry missions once that comes back online. Any word from Cryptic would be most appreciated, it would really help to know that this isn't going to be a long term thing.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    To be honest, after they destroyed the twitchy, is the only thing I notice.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    To be honest, after they destroyed the twitchy, is the only thing I notice.

For me it's one of those "can't unsee" things. With live animations and character models I'm familiar with, my brain makes the connection that there's breaking or dislocation in unnatural articulion of the ankle joints. Ergo, nausea even with standard and a flat colored boot. I see the angles aren't possible for typical human anatomy (when planted, shin and foot face in the same direction. It's the leg that rotates via the hip joint. You can only rotate the ankle itself, via articulation of the fibula and tibia, once weight has been taken off the foot), though it is hard to miss brawler dislocating the entire foot by about an inch to the right.

Can't help it, just very unsettling and it does interfere with my ability to play STO (and regardless, it's very much the opposite of the stated intent of the patch notes.)
  • Options
    starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    Would like to suggest "Anklocalypse" as the operative term to refer to this/these bug(s). :tongue:

I will second this motion.

This issue is a little unsettling to me whenever I enter the tailor. :/
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Update from today's patch: twitchy female is fixed. Big thanks to Cryptic for that. However, the other identified problem stances still have about the same issues (if anything was changed regarding them, it's hard to tell if the tweaks were simply minor.) Here's a couple screenshots of how things look today:

Brawler male
    DbK03uIXUAAzcOH.jpg
    Creature male
    DbK03uOWkAA70_l.jpg

There's still unusual foot placement and odd torsion about the ankle. This is easiest to detect on Section 31 (provides consistent visual reference points) though anything that indicates the direction of the shin should still indicate that there's some unusual angles at play (ex. Kobali, Discovery, Voth, ect.)

Overall, changing boots on certain characters/boffs masks what's currently off sufficiently that we/I can probably live with it. However, I think we're still a little worse off than prior to 14.5. But, there's progress so Yay! to that. Some animations appear more fluid but the increased motion in some cases (ex. Standard) highlights limitations in the STO character skeleton (ie. that feet don't move but the angle of the legs does). A few more spot fixes could be worth investigating. For example:
    1. The angle of the right leg [character POV] versus right foot for "Standard," it still looks ~10 degrees off (in the tailor) at the resting point of the animation cycle (not looking to the left or right).
    2. Look into just what's going on with the right foot of the male intel boot [white one above]? It's displaced to the right while using (male) brawler, creature, stern, thoughtful, and twitchy. Female intel and male intel boot under any other animations are not affected.
    3. The contortions of the male "Creature" ankles (above, red Section 31 boot with what looks like an extra joint inside) as compared to female "Creature" (which is totally okay!)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on