test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why 40 and 1000?

I don't get why some of the events such as the winter event say you earn 40 vouchers per race and need 1000 for the prize. Why not just have 25 as the goal and you get 1 per race? It's not a huge issue but it seems unnecessary.
Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)

Comments

• Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Because it “looks” like you are making faster progress when going with 40x25 instead of 25x1.

It’s just an arbitrary decision they made as to the number of 8x10 glossies of Q they wanted to award.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Weird numbers since you can buy some w/ lobi in smaller amounts.
    If not for that, its stupid. Like the NFL quaterback rating maxing out at 158.3. Anyone who cared about math would have modifed that number to max out at 100.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Weird numbers since you can buy some w/ lobi in smaller amounts.
    If not for that, its stupid. Like the NFL quaterback rating maxing out at 158.3. Anyone who cared about math would have modifed that number to max out at 100.

Yeah excellent point.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    tirpider#8006 tirpider Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    My guess is it's the way marketers think suckers people think. "More number means better number."
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    They would make less money from people who want to buy their way past the grind if they used smaller numbers.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Lobi thing is funny. You buy small amounts of tokens which however are useless unless bought in stacks of 40. You can never lack less than 40 vouchers to complete the project unless you bought some during the run but those would be useless since younstill need 40 to complete a stack/substitute for one race. Some would say this is a scam xD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    Its because you can buy the ships at any time with lobi. Simple as that. If they said you need 25 tokens... and we are going to sell them in the lobi store for 40 lobi each. People would freak out realizing they are asking 1000 lobi for the event ship. By doing 1000... they can offer people 5 lobi cost chance boxes. Lots of people end up dishing out lobi near the end of the event cause real life gets in the way. Some just can't stand the race... so they just use lobi, the lobi chance boxes make cryptic actual money and that is why you can't just collect 25 tokens.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Actually, the number is high because they DON'T want you to just buy the ship out right with Lobi. They want you to PLAY the event. The Lobi option is there to make up for any shortfall a player might have at the end, because, it's the holidays and they realize that not everyone can/will play every day of the event or maybe even the minimum of 25 days.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Actually, the number is high because they DON'T want you to just buy the ship out right with Lobi. They want you to PLAY the event. The Lobi option is there to make up for any shortfall a player might have at the end, because, it's the holidays and they realize that not everyone can/will play every day of the event or maybe even the minimum of 25 days.

But the amount of vouchers you buy for "smaller" amounts of Lobi still don't make sense. You need 25 runs for the ship. If you invest Lobi you need to buy "small" packages of vouchers until you reach 40 or one run, otherwise it does nothing. You can't buy 30 vouchers with Lobi - well you can, but it's completely useless.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    angrytarg wrote: »

But the amount of vouchers you buy for "smaller" amounts of Lobi still don't make sense. You need 25 runs for the ship. If you invest Lobi you need to buy "small" packages of vouchers until you reach 40 or one run, otherwise it does nothing. You can't buy 30 vouchers with Lobi - well you can, but it's completely useless.​​

So, what you're saying is, it makes more sense to actually play the event. ;)

I'm just debunking the assertion that requiring 1000 vouchers is to generate revenue. As you've stated buying vouchers with Lobi won't even net you one run's worth of vouchers. It discourages trying to buy the ship out right, and encourages playing the event instead.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

So, what you're saying is, it makes more sense to actually play the event. ;)

I'm just debunking the assertion that requiring 1000 vouchers is to generate revenue. As you've stated buying vouchers with Lobi won't even net you one run's worth of vouchers. It discourages trying to buy the ship out right, and encourages playing the event instead.

It actually makes more sense to me to save as much Lobi as I can and alleviate the grind. Im here to play but not be a metrics padder.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Conspiracy theories ahoy...again. :disappointed:

It's 1,000 because that sounds cooler than 25. It's not some nefarious plot to scam people. Just, people like large numbers. Like pinball machines always give millions of points for everything with the last few zeroes being there permanently (in fact, some very old pinball machines had the last zeroes painted on so they could save money on score counter digits).

And sure, they could make the lobi pack larger (and proportionally more expensive), but this way it costs the same as the ornament pack. So what you always need more than one? The dilex lets you buy Zen one at a time, even though nothing costs 1 Zen. Is that also "funny," "a scam," "unnecessary," or whatever?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    My guess is it's the way marketers think suckers people think. "More number means better number."

I was looking up some things about another game I was playing recently (Nights of Azure), and ran across an old thread about the max level of the main character (10 in the main game, 11 in New Game+).

And yes, there were people complaining about such a low level cap. Including a guy who said straight out that having an 11 level cap would make him not buy the game. /epicfacepalm

(Which reminds me about the people who were begging for a higher level cap than 20 in Fallout 3. I pointed out that you could increase the cap to 100, and then divide everything by 5 - xp needed per level, skill/perk points gained per level, etc - and the game would be functionally identical except that you got to hear the levelup *ding* 80 more times. "Level cap" by itself is meaningless, it has to have some relation to the game's systems & formulas.)

So, yeah. There's a good number of folks out there who "care" about numbers in silly ways. There's psychology studies about it. (it gets even worse in retail - pricing, sales, etc)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I wouldn't buy a game with 11 level cap, either.

In fact other than STO, all the games I regularly play have level caps in the hundreds and some of them I don't think even have a cap (or they keep increasing it faster than I can hit it). Even if the levels don't actually do anything but a "ding" and a number on the screen, it's still an acknowledgement of my progress that is valuable to me in and of itself.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    bwleon7 wrote: »
    I don't get why some of the events such as the winter event say you earn 40 vouchers per race and need 1000 for the prize. Why not just have 25 as the goal and you get 1 per race? It's not a huge issue but it seems unnecessary.

No!!! Bigger is better!!!

It should be changed to 40 million vouchers for winning the race and 1 billion vouchers to claim the ship.

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    darakoss wrote: »
    It actually makes more sense to me to save as much Lobi as I can and alleviate the grind. Im here to play but not be a metrics padder.

Not really much of a grind. A two minute run 25 times? Unless your time is worth a lot of money (cause lobi ain't cheap) then most players will be better off doing the runs.

And unless you just REALLY have to have this ship this WW; you can finish it off next year with 2018 vouchers and just do a few extra runs next year.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Not really much of a grind. A two minute run 25 times? Unless your time is worth a lot of money (cause lobi ain't cheap) then most players will be better off doing the runs.

To be fair, not everyone can do the race in 2 minutes especially for players where this is the first time they are doing the Winter Event. I can do the race in 2 minutes no problem. But I also had a lot of practice especially back when the ships were bound to character so each of my characters had to do the race to earn the Winter Event Ship.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

And unless you just REALLY have to have this ship this WW; you can finish it off next year with 2018 vouchers and just do a few extra runs next year.

I just use my refined dil and start opening boxes before the event. I do see everyones point but I'm more invested in other games right now so I shave a days off of running a race for a ship.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!