Does PWE/Cryptic now strike Youtube channels? Edit: Channel restored

2»

Comments

• Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    starkaos wrote: »
    Were you given any information as to the nature of the "violation?"

This is almost certainly a false positive. Recently YouTube has started cracking down on unsavory content, but they identify that content using new and imperfect algorithms. The whole creator community is in turmoil.

You can probably appeal and have your channel reinstated. You may find this subreddit a good place to learn more.

Unsavory content is too subjective of a term and can be heavily abused by those who determine what unsavory content is. A new and imperfect algorithm is an easy excuse to make for someone intentionally silencing some creator.

Unsavory content is my description, not theirs. Their definitions are more specific (but still pretty broad). Stuff like bullying (some channels were built entirely around hunting down other channels and bullying them for their content), real-life violence, honest-to-God actual hate speech, etc. Nothing I've seen suggests Google is trying to deliberately censor people. They're just cowtowing to advertisers who don't want to be associated with channels like the one discussed here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM
    (Be warned, this is some pretty disturbing stuff). Advertising is in large part about forming subconscious associations between a product and the thing you're watching that you enjoy. What executive would want their product to be associated in people's minds with parents abusing their children?

Plus, if you'll scroll through the posts on the subreddit I posted, you'll find that while many people have reported having videos demonetized for one thing or another, they are nearly always reinstated on an appeal and manual review, even if they don't actually fulfill the requirements to receive a manual review. That's consistent with a crappy new algorithm, not censorship.

I'm a YouTuber too, and I've been watching this pretty closely. It's clear that it's an economic matter, not a censorship one. YouTube is handling it in the same clumsy, half-baked way they handle everything, but it's not some conspiracy to silence right-wing views.

Anyway, appeal the shutdown, OP. I'm pretty confident you'll succeed.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    hrci2907 wrote: »
    Maybe its possible, but why now, i havent been online ingame or uploaded videos for well over a year
    That's just it... If something has been up for that long it's usually an angry "fan" that's the cause of it getting taken down. And youtube probably hasn't added a check in their AI to look to see if all the reports come from the same source. So it seems most likely that someone has been methodically reporting you for violating content guidelines. Something similar happened to my Twitter account. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    Just to let you know, Youtube got back to me, and they have restored my channel. Thank you all for the support!
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Just to let you know, Youtube got back to me, and they have restored my channel. Thank you all for the support!

That's good news!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

Yea!! :) I watch a lot of vids on You Tube to study STO. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Good to know their customer support actually does something reliably, unlike ahem, some other we know of ;)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Very Good! Something good came out of it despite all the trouble. I'm sure there will be people eager to see more videos from you in the future and give a second opinion on something.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    this is good to hear. Maybe change the name of thread again?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg