test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Refit of the Galaxy Class, Need Help with texturing though....

laythroslaythros Member Posts: 5 Arc User
I am looking for someone to help me out in texturing my 3d model. (PS I am just learning the 3d modeling thing).

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

If you would like to help please send me a PM

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    Not sure about the split neck part of the design
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,464 Community Moderator

I think I can see why the OP did the split neck, as at least two other Cryptic designs have them, the Odyssey and the Avenger.

The main thing I'm hanging up on is how chunky the secondary hull and saucer are. I know this might just be a rough draft WIP model, and it is a good start. For just learning 3d Modeling, that's a pretty good attempt. I've got some experience with 3D modeling when I was in High School and I know organic shapes can be a hassle. Manipulating control points and such. x.x
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      rattler2 wrote: »

I think I can see why the OP did the split neck, as at least two other Cryptic designs have them, the Odyssey and the Avenger.

The main thing I'm hanging up on is how chunky the secondary hull and saucer are. I know this might just be a rough draft WIP model, and it is a good start. For just learning 3d Modeling, that's a pretty good attempt. I've got some experience with 3D modeling when I was in High School and I know organic shapes can be a hassle. Manipulating control points and such. x.x

I tend to look at things in terms of practicality, that twin neck looks like a structural weakness though the theory behind it sounds good. Swings and Roundabouts in effect
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • laythroslaythros Member Posts: 5 Arc User
        Mostly this is just for a learning experience. Yes I tired my hand at the split hull due to the cryptic designs in the Odyssey and Avenger, and mostly t see if I could do it and make it look decent. Mostly the lines are all there as I was experimenting out with creases and shape edges to see how and what I can do to make curves and straight parts.
      • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
        I can't help with the texturing, so sorry there. If you are interested in my opinions, though... I love the low profile and the dimensions feel right (not top heavy like the real Galaxy, and the nacelles are decent where those were puny). The wide secondary hull reads a little odd, I'd almost call it "busty." The area on the back of the saucer could be a problem; it almost looks like a shuttle bay right now. If so the ship feels a lot smaller than a normal Galaxy class. If it's an impulse engine, and the small area on the aft of the secondary hull is the shuttle bay, no problem with size, although it's still a big engine. I like the neck, it's interesting without feeling non-functional, like the Oberth strut problem.
        It's a nice looking basic design, I'm no good on rendering sorry
        NMXb2ph.png
          It was to be a massive shuttle fighter type bay is why I was going that big, where the point at the aft was the tradition Galaxy Photon launcher. The Secondary hull being "busty" was an attempt to make a different shape to the hull so it didn't look to stock.

But feed back is always welcome, as I learning people perspective is part of learning also.
          Where are the Impulse housings going to go on the secondary hulls?
          NMXb2ph.png
          • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
            I got a bunch of generic textures on models I use.

When you are done, will the model be available for all to use? I'd REALLY love a crack at rendering it when done. :3
            dvZq2Aj.jpg
            Yes, I will make it available to anyone that works on it for use for whatever they want.
          • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
            laythros wrote: »
            Yes, I will make it available to anyone that works on it for use for whatever they want.

I wanna crack at it :D
            dvZq2Aj.jpg