Install Arc
Options

Assessment on the Season 14

2»

Comments

• Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    The new holding is, what it was designed to be, the biggest 'dil sink' ever. It's 5 tiers not 3 so that it can suck the dilithium out of the game for two or three times longer - that's the only reason. This all, presumably, to counter how ridiculously easy Cryptic made it to 'max out' dilithium production with the Admiralty system (I think there's a reason it's called 'the nerf bat' not 'the nerf scalpel' they never seem to get it right).

The 'mini games' are the lowest form of entertainment Cryptic have ever designed, and show their commitment to wasting as much of the players time as possible, with the lowest rewards possible, and all for the least amount of development effort on their part. At least Candy Crush has 'well dones', flashy thingies and some sort of purpose to each level (and no I don't play it).

The rewards from the holding are designed to negate any possible 'power creep' by being predominantly defensive in nature. This is also reflected in the new Specialization, and the majority of new 'shinies' outside of a limited number of lock box items.

Whether you think Cryptics 2017 war on 'dps' is a good or bad thing is up to you, but if the activity in the 'dps channels' is anything to go by, a lot of people left after S13. Personally, I miss them.

The new queues are, again all time-gated, some of which so trivial, you can park-up, press space bar with on finger, while drinking your coffee and catching up on Facebook & emails, until the timer runs down - Job done - Next.

Everything Cryptic has done recently seem to resolve around making the players spend more time in the game for less rewards. They don't listen to players feedback (see what they did with the Mirror Invasion event - and, incidentally, the players response: 'MIA AFK' across the channels). They have the attitude that they know best and we should just gratefully accept everything they throw at us, completely fogetting that this is entertainment, it's a game; and when it ceases to be entertaining, people will just leave.

No, I don't want to leave. My fleets passing on the holding, and will probably benefit from the exchange rate if other fleets do do it. And I'm not bothered about the new naff, time gated missions, I still mostly play the ol' STFs (as do quite a few others fortunately).

What I'm sad about is that, this was another missed opportunity to do something interesting. I wish they would do something great so that I could tell all my 'long gone' mates that it was worth them comin back to the game.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    feiqa wrote: »
    2A-nBy2_-hXwYsLXuJcFMkt7ga_-IlNmfDx_eb51oqY.png?w=1024&s=43aea2b755c4efa22b637ee7a7ff26f9

Saucer looks okay.
    Primary hull is okay.
    Not a fan of the jet engine warp drives but I like the quad layout.
    But the neck. . . it looks both too tall and too far forward on the saucer.
    I hope this ship can use the regular Excelsior parts or skin. Other wise probably won't bother buying it.

i'm wondering if this is the upgraded/replacement version of that Kitbashed Typhoon Class.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing this ship from another angle.

But we already have a replacement for the Typhoon, it's called the Jupiter :) That one replaced the old Typhoon and the old Jupiter.

When we were voting for it, everyone agreed with the notion that the design that became the new Jupiter would be a great replacement for both ships, including @artan42 >:)

(Just seeing if we can get that age old discussion going again :p )

I don't recall that! The Typhoon's a battleship not a carrier. Though at least you didn't sugest I was suffering under the collective delusion that the Excelsior refits (or Command Cruisers) even remotly resemble the glorious Typhoon.

All hail the ireplaceable TYPHOON!
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    feiqa wrote: »
    2A-nBy2_-hXwYsLXuJcFMkt7ga_-IlNmfDx_eb51oqY.png?w=1024&s=43aea2b755c4efa22b637ee7a7ff26f9

Saucer looks okay.
    Primary hull is okay.
    Not a fan of the jet engine warp drives but I like the quad layout.
    But the neck. . . it looks both too tall and too far forward on the saucer.
    I hope this ship can use the regular Excelsior parts or skin. Other wise probably won't bother buying it.

i'm wondering if this is the upgraded/replacement version of that Kitbashed Typhoon Class.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing this ship from another angle.

But we already have a replacement for the Typhoon, it's called the Jupiter :) That one replaced the old Typhoon and the old Jupiter.

When we were voting for it, everyone agreed with the notion that the design that became the new Jupiter would be a great replacement for both ships, including @artan42 >:)

(Just seeing if we can get that age old discussion going again :p )

I don't recall that! The Typhoon's a battleship not a carrier. Though at least you didn't sugest I was suffering under the collective delusion that the Excelsior refits (or Command Cruisers) even remotly resemble the glorious Typhoon.

All hail the ireplaceable TYPHOON!

I knew I smelt a Typhoon argument ...

Cryptic ... Typhoon class please!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The new holding is, what it was designed to be, the biggest 'dil sink' ever. It's 5 tiers not 3 so that it can suck the dilithium out of the game for two or three times longer - that's the only reason. This all, presumably, to counter how ridiculously easy Cryptic made it to 'max out' dilithium production with the Admiralty system (I think there's a reason it's called 'the nerf bat' not 'the nerf scalpel' they never seem to get it right).

The 'mini games' are the lowest form of entertainment Cryptic have ever designed, and show their commitment to wasting as much of the players time as possible, with the lowest rewards possible, and all for the least amount of development effort on their part. At least Candy Crush has 'well dones', flashy thingies and some sort of purpose to each level (and no I don't play it).

The rewards from the holding are designed to negate any possible 'power creep' by being predominantly defensive in nature. This is also reflected in the new Specialization, and the majority of new 'shinies' outside of a limited number of lock box items.

Whether you think Cryptics 2017 war on 'dps' is a good or bad thing is up to you, but if the activity in the 'dps channels' is anything to go by, a lot of people left after S13. Personally, I miss them.

The new queues are, again all time-gated, some of which so trivial, you can park-up, press space bar with on finger, while drinking your coffee and catching up on Facebook & emails, until the timer runs down - Job done - Next.

Everything Cryptic has done recently seem to resolve around making the players spend more time in the game for less rewards. They don't listen to players feedback (see what they did with the Mirror Invasion event - and, incidentally, the players response: 'MIA AFK' across the channels). They have the attitude that they know best and we should just gratefully accept everything they throw at us, completely fogetting that this is entertainment, it's a game; and when it ceases to be entertaining, people will just leave.

No, I don't want to leave. My fleets passing on the holding, and will probably benefit from the exchange rate if other fleets do do it. And I'm not bothered about the new naff, time gated missions, I still mostly play the ol' STFs (as do quite a few others fortunately).

What I'm sad about is that, this was another missed opportunity to do something interesting. I wish they would do something great so that I could tell all my 'long gone' mates that it was worth them comin back to the game.

For the first time here. I'm mostly reserving my judgement of this season. I want to see more it if before I make any call here.

Though I will agree. The game is boring. It has been since they instituted fleets and the DPS race truly began.

I am currently overlooking that. As we have just started S14 and I see, 2 space STFs, 1 RA, 1 Battlezone, 1 Ground Stf, a new spec, the not so popular balance patch, and the new fleet holding that finish up S13 and start S14.

Now, that's normally more than we get with any season. If you look at all that, what do they really have left to do with S14? Just finish up the New Frontiers story arc, that's what.

Then we have to take in to account that the new spec and fleet gear is more Tank, and somewhat Healer, oriented. This is the main reason I'm reserving my judgement. I'm waiting to see what they do with this.

Everyone says they missed a great opportunity here.

But.. did they?

Or is this season the being of that missed opportunity?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    You do make sense. The amount of content is indeed alot. But somewhere along the lines, they're not delivering the fun they used to deliver.

What they really should do is add some rng drops related to the content. On the same lockbox principle. You have a random chance of getting a hefty reward and a certain reward besides (lobi for lockbox, dil+marks+elite marks for queues).

And ofc make the droppable reputation-related content (anything from the specific reputation's project) bind on equip. That totally helps the new players and new alt toons.

Just popped my mind.

Leave your cents or post the idea separately. I don't pretend any claims, just wanna see it implemented.