test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? The Ferengi Admiralty

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I played until I got a Dabo. The 500 really is small change when you already have 1.5 million from the Ferengi Admiralty Campaign.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    That's true. I'm still trying to collect all of the Dabo accolades.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Change the reward to Lobi instead of GPL and I'll be interested in this Admiralty system.

I resent the Ferengi so much, I have been ignoring their Admiralty for that reason only. :#
    It would take a really significant reward to motivate me to advance this progression.

I honestly don't know what rewards they could add to the GPL store to make acquiring it worthwhile.
    The first thought that came to mind is new playable species unlocks, mostly because Cryptic isn't implementing any!
    However, on a more practical level, I'd like the Photonic Entertainer DOFFs to be added to the GPL store, as the Hamlet assignment is continually failing to complete my collection (Green, Blue, Purple in both Orion and Vulcan).
    At least twice now, it's given me a completely unusable KDF doff. Loot trolling at it's finest. ;)
    ltminns wrote: »
    You know, it's too bad we can't just deploy the GPL Party Nullifier all around in locations.
    I've certainly been getting my value from that item, every time someone uses the Party Ball near me.
    The latest place was in the entrance room to the Arena of Sompek.
    It's fun to negate the effect when they use it! :D

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    You know, it's too bad we can't just deploy the GPL Party Nullifier all around in locations.
    I've certainly been getting my value from that item, every time someone uses the Party Ball near me.
    The latest place was in the entrance room to the Arena of Sompek.
    It's fun to negate the effect when they use it! :D
    Joke's on you, they probably had the risan doff that makes it give a buff to everyone who dances with it. >:)
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    Oh look, more GPL. Just what I always wanted.

Yeah, I'm with everyone else. The missions are okay, but GPL is so useless right now that the only real thing that makes the Ferengi system stand out doesn't count for much. Maybe if we could get emotes with it? Tribbles? Convert it to Zen a-la the dilithium exchange? Just something.

This also plants a tiny niggling thought in the back of my brain that if/when a fourth faction is implemented it will be the Ferengi. I do not like this thought, because I can see it working and I don't want to play a money-grubbing hobgoblin lusting after shiny things and oomox.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
    terloki wrote: »
    This also plants a tiny niggling thought in the back of my brain that if/when a fourth faction is implemented it will be the Ferengi. I do not like this thought, because I don't want to play a money-grubbing snubgoblin lusting after shiny things.

I agree with you, I find this an displeasing thought.
    If they ever implement this faction, it will be completely ignored by me.

I know for a fact if I play a faction that is written with a cultural outlook I disapprove of, I hate every minute&second of gameplay.
    Because the dialogue is always geared towards emphasizing those elements via story and I don't want to experience a faction where deceit and money grubbing is the default behavior.

Also, I just read the synopsis for Inside Man.
    It gave me even more reason to despise the Ferengi.
    Recap version, they were going to murder the entire crew of Voyager and were thwarted by two Starfleet Officers.
    Starfleet itself had become aware of the situation, since they committed resources to assist in the foiling of the plot.

And the Ferengi in question were not punished for plotting mass murder of a Starfleet crew.
    If I'd been Starfleet Security, I've have sent a ship or three after them with orders to bring them back to face life imprisonment.
    And if they resist being arrested, well.....
    Shoot to kill.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I dunno about that. I'm pretty sure Janeway sent a message to Starfleet command at the earliest opportunity about it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    > @tilarta said:
    > terloki wrote: »
    >
    > This also plants a tiny niggling thought in the back of my brain that if/when a fourth faction is implemented it will be the Ferengi. I do not like this thought, because I don't want to play a money-grubbing snubgoblin lusting after shiny things.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree with you, I find this an displeasing thought.
    > If they ever implement this faction, it will be completely ignored by me.
    >
    > I know for a fact if I play a faction that is written with a cultural outlook I disapprove of, I hate every minute&second of gameplay.
    > Because the dialogue is always geared towards emphasizing those elements via story and I don't want to experience a faction where deceit and money grubbing is the default behavior.
    >
    > Also, I just read the synopsis for Inside Man.
    > It gave me even more reason to despise the Ferengi.
    > Recap version, they were going to murder the entire crew of Voyager and were thwarted by two Starfleet Officers.
    > Starfleet itself had become aware of the situation, since they committed resources to assist in the foiling of the plot.
    >
    > And the Ferengi in question were not punished for plotting mass murder of a Starfleet crew.
    > If I'd been Starfleet Security, I've have sent a ship or three after them with orders to bring them back to face life imprisonment.
    > And if they resist being arrested, well.....
    > Shoot to kill.

Wow, so much ferengi hate, I guess you also must hate klingons, borg, romulans and every other species that wants to attack the federation
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Playing as a Ferengi has some good benefits:

+10 Perception
    .25 Flank Damage Reduction
    +10% Exploit Damage
    20% energy credit/gold-pressed latinum store discount
    +.33 Resistance to Toxic and Radiation
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    Today Endeavor was 25k Anti-proton damage. I thought I'd have to switch out the Ship Weapons on the Character I was playing after I did the Daily Sompek. Then I realized I was using the Advanced Temporal Defense Dual Chroniton Pistols so I could pick that up in the Timed Sompek.

We started, and after a minute a couple said they only wanted to go to Round 5. We got to 5 and two were down. I had reached 19k damage and the other two went down and stayed down. I held out a bit longer with a whole flock of Tzen'kethi, but eventually went down. I wasn't going to rez them just so I could get to 25k damage.

Fortunately, I was on Kobali Prime so I transported out and killed a few Vaadwaur. That got me to the 25k. Seemed that I got more damage quicker on Kobali Prime than against the tougher opponents in Sompek.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    @captainkenny1
    Yes, I hate Klingons.
    Basically, there are only four Trek species I loathe, the others never bothered me.

With Ferengi and Klingons, the reason I resent them is they represent cultural values that don't belong in Star Trek's current era.
    And under their rules of conduct, any crime, no matter what it is is acceptable as long as it is in line with those values (Honor+Glory of Battle and Money based Greed respectively).

I comprehend that conflict is always going to be part of STO.
    Each story arc ends with a new enemy being introduced.
    For example, the Iconians ended their war, but in the process, a Krenim got annoyed and recruited the Na'kuhl to start a new conflict.
    And then the Tzen'kethi showed up because they resent the Lukari experimenting with Protomatter Terraforming.

So it's always the motivations of the species involved that determines my opinion of them, not the fact that they are attacking an enemy.
    The Na'kuhl's characteristic is selfishness, they only care about being in power and won't accept that they aren't in control (making the rules). That may earn them the 5th spot on my list if they take it too far. At the moment, I'm just rating them as an annoyance.

• terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I don't hate Ferengi per se, I just don't want to be put in that role because I know I wouldn't like it. I can work with a Klingon by emphasizing honor and fairness over glory and bloodshed. But the "default" Ferengi mindset is just so cartoonish and diametrically opposed to me that I don't see myself pulling it off or enjoying it, and that's kind of the point of playing a game.

Part of it is probably just how unbelievably hard everything Ferengi past the first few appearances on TNG have gone to make them as cut-throat greedy as possible. Every other major race seems to look at their subject from multiple angles, but almost everything Ferengi related may as well end with "get it? Because they're greedy! Lol!"
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    ^^ Sounds fair enough :)
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    It sounds fair enough because it is. I presume we all have our cultural and ethic compasses around us. There's some slight deviations or even polar opposites we'd like to play with but never would subscribe to as a person (e. g. blowing up Megaton in Fallout 3), just because it may seem like fun trying it out. And then there are things we don't like to do for these reasons. Maybe they hit a certain spot we don't like. Maybe we are more ethically grounded even within fiction so we don't want to blow up Megaton. Point is: it's not for me.

I always consider it a little annoying though when games kind of force you to "try something out you wouldn't do" by offering too major a reward. An accolade is fine - I probably wouldn't want to have it anyway. The infinity+1 armor should be hidden somewhere else, behind some less ambiguous stuff.

That being said, I personally think that "playing as the ultra capitalistic Ferengi within the Star Trek universe" qualifies for a really ambiguous situation. Just because they are too much of a parody and caricature. Never took them seriously, again personally.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    Well you asked for it.

It's basically a copy-paste with a few words changed here and there. That's IT.

All of the campaigns are exactly the same, EXACTLY the same. The wording is slightly different between them but otherwise... what is the goddamn point of adding another campaign that is EXACTLY the same as the other ones.

And it awards useless GPL on top of that -- why? Are you planning on expanding the GPL store? There have been several chances to do so right along but nothing comes of it.

The main reward for finishing the campaign is more raw dilith. MORE raw dilth that I can't use because of the refining cap. I have so much raw dilth now that I can't process it fast enough. I do not need MORE of it. If I want to buy something using dilth, it is easier to spend money on Zen and convert that into refined dilth than it is to eek out what I need at 8K a day.

Here's how we can improve things for the next campaign...

1) Reward something useful like refined dilth, rather than raw. Or better yet some kind of daily refinery limit increase up to a cap.

2) Come up with some new text/mission flavor. Have a contest on the forum to create new/interesting mission text or cherry pick from the foundry for ideas. Don't just change the wording and throw it up.

3) Make the end reward unique from the other campaigns so there is a reason to play it. We have skill points. We have dilth. We have tech upgrades. How about a fleet module or ship upgrade token? Maybe a unique hanger pet or a unique novelty starship. Or some kind of unique warp-core/shield/weapon/console/deflector multi-part set to encourage replay.

Honestly though this isn't what the powers want to hear, they want to hear that this is Just Great(tm) and the best thing ever, so they can justify pasting another one in on the next update... rather than spend time and effort making something new.

I mean really... HOW long has it been since we've had any new content injected into the DOFF system or R&D systems? :expressionless:
    That's Just Great©®™ :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    xyquarze wrote: »
    And then there are things we don't like to do for these reasons. Maybe they hit a certain spot we don't like. Maybe we are more ethically grounded even within fiction so we don't want to blow up Megaton (Fallout 3 town). Point is: it's not for me.

I too made the choice to disarm instead of detonate.
    Mostly because a) they gave me a free house (for my player home) and b) if Megaton is removed, the alternative choice is to move to a gated community with an ambigiously evil landlord.

As for Fallout New Vegas, I chose the NCR because Caesar's Legion isn't a nice organization to belong to.
    In Fallout 4, I chose the Minutemen because I trust them to be impartial. They won't antagonize the other two "good" factions unless given a reason.
    The Railroad and BoS would willingly obliterate each other just for the reason of having no enemies.
    The Institute is up to no good, so I wasn't going to side with them.

So given that I only make decisions as I would in real life, being a Ferengi is not something I would try, even to experience their factional storyline.
    I'd just be reminded every minute of how much I resent their cultural values.
    I dunno about that. I'm pretty sure Janeway sent a message to Starfleet command at the earliest opportunity about it.

I saw the episode I was referencing.
    Turns out Janeway didn't need to send a message, they were already aware of the situation.
    With the Pathfinder Project Team, Admiral Paris and the starship Carolina were all observing the Ferengi.
    The final scene with the Ferengi is a bit objectionable in my opinion, they get all sad that they failed to get their prize.
    It's like the script writers were trying to make us feel sympathethic to the Ferengi for failing, even though their plot was premeditated mass murder.
    If it was me, I'd have thrown in a scene with the Carolina disabling every system of the Ferengi ship with weapons fire and then telling the Ferengi they've already been sentenced to life imprisonment in a Starfleet stockade.
    Deanna implies this decision can be made without a trial, since she threatens to put Leosa in an mental asylum for the rest of her life if she doesn't co-operate.

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    They honestly need to add a few new reward's to the GPL store... but I think people have asked for that for sometime.
    0zxlclk.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    themarie wrote: »
    1) Reward something useful like refined dilth, rather than raw. Or better yet some kind of daily refinery limit increase up to a cap.

Nope. That'd be the end of the dil market as we knew it, zen wouldn't be needed to get dil anymore, money flow would severely be affected.

If you're one of the (I guess not so many in game) people already overflowing with unrefined dil, I can easily see how this is not helpful for you. However, instead of Cryptic changing rewards to accomodate you, I'd say that you can just stop playing this particular part of the game if it is for rewards only in your eyes and not fun. Unless you're banking on the long shot that something of real value will one day be obtainable with your stack of GPL. Just enjoy that there's a time sink you can ignore so you can focus on what you like in playing this game instead of only going through the motions just to get some reward.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    It's boring, Nothing new to do, just the same old, same old point and click interface, we get Dilithium for competing the system so ok nice, but GPL? Totally worthless! I read above that you're planning to add items to the GPL store, all I can say is. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!
    edited September 2017
    Found two other uses for GPL. The New Romulus Reputation Projects to 'hire' a Reman or Romulan Embassy Entourage has a 15k GPL cost requirement.

Now you can hire the entire Embassy. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Gives a lot of GPL, for which there is almost nothing to spend it on...
    Oh yeah, I know but I was pointing out items outside the GPL Store that takes GPL. I believe these are the only two items that are. I have never bought them or any consumable personnel detachment.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    I recently blew some GPL on a holographic Gekli. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • dolfanar#1514 dolfanar Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Couple suggestions:

1) Move the MACO and WOK uniforms from the dil store to the GPL store with a 1:1 cost in GPL. Seriously 1.2mil dil for a vest? GPL makes way more sense.

2) move the vanity pets from the Lobi store to the GPL store ay a 1:10000 conversion.

3) move the boosts from the c-store to the GPL store at a 1:1000 conversion.

There. Done. GPL and therefore ferengi admiralty matters without breaking the game, economy or revenue streams too much...
    Well it looks like we may not be getting much extra stuff to spend GPL on. Today's Tribble Patch Notes indicate that they are reducing the GPL rewards from the Ferengi Admiralty by 80% and making it up with an equivalent amount of EC.

Guess they really want to increase inflation.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    It's good implementation for dilithium farming. Since, you know, it's just a copy of the Klingon Admiralty, just with GPL as a reward.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    Because Dilithium makes our ships go.
    Well, unless you have a Romulan vessel. :p

But seriously, I don't get it either.

And since we're querying the forms of currency, has energy credits ever been referenced in official Trek canon?