test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need Better Controls for Starship Power Settings

STO could use better starship Power Management GUI. It's difficult to set the proper power setting. I have to keep fiddling with the mouse. It wasn't too much of an issue for me before they nerfed the Plasmonic Leech.

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Base Power levels are pretty much set and forget since they are not easy to change mid-combat (other than the 4 presets). Pretty sure Cryptic didn't intend for players to move 5 points here and there during combat. Use batteries and etc. for needed spikes.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    You could just do the oh so boring Aux to Batt build. Then your power levels are all over 100 all the time anyway!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'd like to see a slight UI change where each of the 4 columns you have for power level has a + at the top and a - at the bottom. Then you can increase/decrease the level by one point per click or still use the slider for more drastic changes.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    You could just do the oh so boring Aux to Batt build. Then your power levels are all over 100 all the time anyway!

Except for aux, of course. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It is hit and miss with Cryptic, putting +/- arrows at the end of sliders. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Emergency Power to Auxiliary and an Aux Battery ought to fix that issue.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »

Regular Aux batt won't cut it. I've tried in the Ol' Aux2Batt Wing Fleet Phantom.
    :tongue:

Think a regular Aux batt brings it up to like 50 Aux.
    Large Aux Battery might do the trick.. maybe. I'll have to try that tonight. Thankfully we can now craft those suckers.

Or you could Double up on OSS.. But since OP is switching ships all the time, that's probably not a viable option (except in a handful of cases).

Energy Siphon can be an underrated skill for this purpose.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    There are consoles also that help spike things, such as Enhanced Induction Coils. Also, Red Matter Capacitor is another tool that can be used.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Nothing is ever going to be fixed or changed so don't waste your time posting. Seriously, we have been asking for simple fixes for years and nothing ever gets done. They certainly won't listen to any ideas even if they make sense.
  • Options
    jslyn wrote: »

No, they don't. The aux lockout after A2B can't be bypassed. Trust me, I tried. :) Emergency Power to Auxiliary and an Aux Battery do work, but you'll only get the aux spike *after* the lockout.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    taehsong wrote: »
    I got Red Matter Capacitor on all my toons, thanks to the Phoenix Prize Pack event. Plasmonic Leech was the best item in the game for extra power/damage when used with AMP, though.
    MACO shield and Plasmonic Leech stack now. I use the two of them on my space magic/cannon wielding Tal'shiar Adapted Destroyer. Red Matter is ok except for the 3 min c/d.

• Options
    alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    taehsong wrote: »
    I need more precise power setting control. I had to keep adjusting it for different ships till I could get it to near where I wanted it. I switch out ships a lot and change equipment which effect power settings (some items have power bonuses: aux, weapon, shield, engine) and you have to tweak it to get power settings to 75+. I used to be able to get all power settings to 75+ so I could get 13.2% All Damage Bonus from AMP mod on warp cores using the Plasmonic Leech. Now I have to fine tune the Power Settings to just get 9.9% All Damage Bonus.

Just a bit of nitpick on my part, [Amp] says "+% All Damage", which is what we call a Cat1/SetA buff, not +% Bonus All Damage, which would be a Cat2/SetB buff. The implications of it being a Cat1 means its not really worth trying to adjust power levels to always try and get 4 stacks, as apposed to having a maxed system with the rest dumped into Aux / Engines / Weapons.
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    No, they don't. The aux lockout after A2B can't be bypassed. Trust me, I tried. :) Emergency Power to Auxiliary and an Aux Battery do work, but you'll only get the aux spike *after* the lockout.
    There's no "Aux Lockout" on Aux2batt. What Aux2batt DOES is that, every time you push butan, you get a target drain of your current Aux Power - 5 (leaving you with 5 aux), and this power is applied to the rest of your stuff. If you gain more Aux afterwards, it will work.

The problem? Aux2batt pulses every 10 seconds, all the other sources of Aux-replenishment have much longer cycles.

I'm going to piggy back here, you are absolutely correct A2B has no Aux Power lockout.

What happens is that A2B takes all the aux in the subsystem then 'shunts' it to the other three. If a power / ability / source of aux power was applied to the subsytem before A2B was used, then it will also be taken. If a power / ability / source of aux power was applied to the subsytem after A2B was used, this will then be applied to the reduced aux power (usually 5)

If the power added to the system wears off before A2B ends and restores power to the Aux system, then the system will deduct that power from the aux setting when it applies. If the bonus was +15, and A2B sets aux to 5, then the system will try to aim for -10, which means it will drop the Aux system offline.
  • Options
    There's no "Aux Lockout" on Aux2batt. What Aux2batt DOES is that, every time you push butan, you get a target drain of your current Aux Power - 5 (leaving you with 5 aux), and this power is applied to the rest of your stuff. If you gain more Aux afterwards, it will work.

The problem? Aux2batt pulses every 10 seconds, all the other sources of Aux-replenishment have much longer cycles.

I don't care what you call it, but your aux won't get back up the moment you try and restore it thru a battery or whatever means. The cause of the lockout is irrelevant; what matters that there's a period you can't replenish aux at all, whatever you try. I call that a lockout.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

I don't care what you call it, but your aux won't get back up the moment you try and restore it thru a battery or whatever means. The cause of the lockout is irrelevant; what matters that there's a period you can't replenish aux at all, whatever you try. I call that a lockout.

You sure? I press aux2bat, my aux power drops to 4, then I press EP2A, my aux power comes to 34.
    I'm probably one of the most vehement opponents of aux2bat and would never suggest anyone to use it, but nevertheless, you can nudge your aux power up a bit even during aux2bat's duration.
  • Options

You sure? I press aux2bat, my aux power drops to 4, then I press EP2A, my aux power comes to 34.
    I'm probably one of the most vehement opponents of aux2bat and would never suggest anyone to use it, but nevertheless, you can nudge your aux power up a bit even during aux2bat's duration.

That has never happened to me. :) I press A2B (which I don't use any more after S13, btw), and nothing happens at all: only delayed (which is to say, you get the aux power boost eventually, but not immediately). But maybe, while pulsing to the other subsystem, it only looks like you're getting nothing. I shall examine this more closely.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

That has never happened to me. :) I press A2B (which I don't use any more after S13, btw), and nothing happens at all: only delayed (which is to say, you get the aux power boost eventually, but not immediately). But maybe, while pulsing to the other subsystem, it only looks like you're getting nothing. I shall examine this more closely.

Here's a video of me using A2B, followed by EPtA1, EPSPT3, Large Aux Battery, and RMC. You can see the only reason Aux Doesn't jump up immediately is in the Case of EPSPT3; wherein the Power follows the rules of EPS.

(This was mostly because I had to confirm my own ideas on how this works, since I also haven't used A2B for some time.)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I used to(prior to DR) run a Mogai build that had 2 A2B and cycled between EptW and EPtS. IIRC I had 2 technician doffs for the recharge reduction, and some combination of the doffs for EptX cd reduction and the chance for bonus power when using EptX.

The bonus power doffs worked rather well. It's not a huge boost but enough to use Hazard emitters.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    alcaatraz wrote: »

Here's a video of me using A2B, followed by EPtA1, EPSPT3, Large Aux Battery, and RMC. You can see the only reason Aux Doesn't jump up immediately is in the Case of EPSPT3; wherein the Power follows the rules of EPS.

(This was mostly because I had to confirm my own ideas on how this works, since I also haven't used A2B for some time.)

Thanks for that instructive video. :) I clearly stand corrected.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Added +/- buttons on power levels would be useful, but I'd also like to have a second row of power level presets, for more fine adjustments.

Of course the added UI will further rob FPS, but maybe it won't if these extras can be hidden for those who don't use them or need them on certain ships.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    heh, custom power level presets would be a nice feature.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    heh, custom power level presets would be a nice feature.

You can currently have a maximum of 4 different, totally customized power level presets. Not enough?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Leach was always massively overrated and it was never neccessary. I've never found any need for it in over 6 years playing.

Was never *needed* no...but it is something I really prefer to use on my Romulan ships...even now...losing 40 power does hurt.