test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Retrain Token for Zen? Too much, or appropriate?

baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
I honestly would like to see what the Forum Community thinks about this issue. I'd say it should be free, for a simple reason: As you can change your ship with only a few clicks, it should be as easy to optimize your build to fit the ship you use. As I see it, a player is pretty much locked to the ship(class) and weapon types (energy/kinetic) because of the skill tree. Therefore it should be easier to change the skill tree to be able to swap ships (or weapons) more conveniently without gimping oneself.
Go pro or go home

Retrain Token for Zen? Too much, or appropriate? 28 votes

Buying Retrain Tokens for Zen is alright.
10%
meimeitoomainadamainx 3 votes
Dilithium should be the currency to retrain your Captain.
28%
hippiejonrepetitiveepicseaofsorrowsgilionkermanistickybladelocutusofcactusraahziel 8 votes
Ratrain Tokens should be bought with EC
35%
coldnapalmlegendarylycan#5411mattjohnsonvatera117doe#7909kyle223catqjuniorhillard1959tyler002alphagorcorelogik 10 votes
Retraining your Captain should cost nothing.
17%
tunebreakerpeterconnorfirstalcyoneserenebaudlwarpangel 5 votes
I don't care/know.
7%
where2r1storules 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    For min-maxer the way how reskill works is a pain. It pains even twice as you not only have to pay for it, you even have to reset every single point as well. Traits disappear right along with a reskill and have to be reset. If I decide to reskill a toon (and some of mine I have reskilled 2 dozen times already the past 5 years) I’m literally blocked from playing for 30 minutes until everything is set right and double checked.

The obstacles an mmopg player faces to progress his characters should come out of the content the game offers and not out of such modalities. The fact that cryptic relies on them speaks for itself.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    A modest Dilithium cost seems fair to me. It's a currency that's valued but not overly difficult for anyone to attain.

As it sits right now, you can re-spec for Dilithum but you have to convert it to zen and the current cost to re-spec is around 30k Dilithium which is simply too high.

Most people that want to respec just simply want to move a couple points around, they aren't looking to do it over and over again. People have implied that this system would allow everyone to be a 'jack of all trades,' but I still don't see it. You're still limited to the abilities offered to your class and respec requires you to redo all your points and your traits.. it's not something I would want to do multiple times a day.

I think 2-4k Dilithium is a fair price to respec a character. Just my opinion.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The skill tree should work just like traits, specializations and everything else in the game. Changeable at will except during missions.
  • Options
    raahzielraahziel Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    300 zen seems a bit much. I say that as someome who doesnt mind spending a bit of money on this game. I believe you get one free retrain but honestly there is a good chance you have already used it or perhaps things have changed a lot by the time you have a good grasp on the game.
    At the start you are just clicking what ever sounds good without any sense of what you are doing. Perffectly normal but being stuck in place with a 300 zen barrier is a little much. First few should be a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Most games either allow you to retrain for free in social zones (basically outside missions, instances and combat) or charge you with an amount of ingame currency. The model here is quite expensive and in my case never used, only because my builds are never that specific and because I hoarded all the free respecs from subscribing and all. EC sink ftw.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I don't care/know.
    Didn't we already have this poll a week ago?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I think it might be a nice gesture to give one free (or EC) respec per character per game update then allow you to use the standard zen respec if you need any beyond that.
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I think you should be able to buy a respec with either Zen or Dil. Some people might say one or the other or both is redundant because of the Dil exchange, but I dont think that something like a respec should have a fluctuating price tag. 200 zen and whatever the avg Dil cost of that would be fair. I also think it should be reworked so you dont have to refund all your points every time. I dont believe it should be free however. It would be nice ya, but I agree with the devs that you're choices in skills need to be meaningful, something you take time to consider, not something you can change on a whim. I also believe it'll never happen because I have a feeling CBS will say it doesnt make sense for a seasoned tactical officer to suddenly forget years of training, and decide he wants a more science focus.

And for everyone complaining about how often skills change, that idk what to do. MAYBE give everyone a free respec every time there is a MAJOR change, but every time one skill gets updated? Everyone would just wait a few weeks for an update whether they have effected skills or not.
    Personally, I like the way City of Heroes did it, with the Respec Trials. They were a set of missions for a team that once completed granted a Respec (retrain) token.

Now, with how STO works, I think this type of setup would be perfectly viable, except have it capable of being solo'd due to how there may simply be times when you can't get a team together for it. Not everyone is going to want to respec at the same time. Not to mention that sometimes a build is messed up so badly that a player may not want to force their horrid build on others, hence the reason for needing a respec.

Create a mission that could be accessed on the players ship and is run on the ship's holodeck. The mission would simulate some type of training scenario, possibly with random enemies, on ground and in space. And shoot, this could even be a way to bring in "old" characters, ships and/or locations from the various series since this would be on the holodeck.

Once the mission is completed the player could then choose from a list of rewards, with a retrain token being one of them. Maybe some Dil, or Rep marks, or even a couple pieces of random, level appropriate Rare gear (one ground piece, one space piece). Limit the missions replayability for the retrain if it's something the Devs would want. Maybe a 20 hour timer for the same reward?

It doesn't need to be a quick mission, but it would have to be at least somewhat easy since it could be run by a player who is in desperate need of the retrain. Perhaps make it something comparable to "Surface Tension" so that it will require time to complete.

Anyway, that's how I would do it.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    a
    qjunior wrote: »
    Most games either allow you to retrain for free in social zones (basically outside missions, instances and combat) or charge you with an amount of ingame currency. The model here is quite expensive and in my case never used, only because my builds are never that specific and because I hoarded all the free respecs from subscribing and all. EC sink ftw.
    Indeed, I too have never used any of the "free" respecs that have gone by...because if you only get a limited number of them, they aren't really free.

This game is way too easy for paid respecs. After the revamp wiped everything, I didn't even bother filling up most of my alts skilltrees at all for a long time. In fact I'm not sure if I've still got some toon with unassigned points today.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    I think retrains should cost EC. We need more EC sinks anyway. This would be a great way to introduce one.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    like to be consistent how I spend my resources as I am a methodical person. I don't have rules of acquisition that guide my decisions but do have two primary reasons why I would rather purchase these with dil instead of zen.
    1: I don't buy consumables from the c-store (aka anything in the boosts tab).
    2: I use dilithium to increase my captains damage via upgrades. A re-spec token is similar in that way.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    we need EC sinks - BADLY​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    @baddmoonrizin Wasn't there already a large topic like this?! Maybe a merge is in order.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    we need EC sinks - BADLY​​

Not badly. Fleet Project require quite a bit of EC too, these days.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Didn't we already have this poll a week ago?

wasn't a poll...although the title said so (little weird), it was in response to that post that I actually started this poll, to see what the forum community thinks about it in numbers.

Although I opted for no cost, anything better than the current system would be better. 300 Zen is simply too much...5 retrains for 300 Zen, yes, but one, no thx.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    @baddmoonrizin Wasn't there already a large topic like this?! Maybe a merge is in order.

@meimeitoo Yes, there was (still is) a lengthy thread on this topic, but this one is a poll. Merging would destroy the polling data.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch