test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any predictions on the next recruitment event?

Comments

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    nikeix wrote: »
    3: Because that's what the shows are about.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Nike, if you don't understand the difference between a teevee show, and an MMO, there's no point in joining the discussion.

If you don't know the importance of understanding your license when working on a game based on a license, you don't get to keep working on them. Because you go out of business. Having written large swaths of the Stargate SG1 RPG and helping ride herd on the Farscape RPG, yeah, I think I may have some passing familiarity with adapting TV shows to games. Sci-fi settings, even ;). Covering non-standard perspectives is certainly a desirable bullet point, but there's a limit to how much time and energy you can sink into serving tertiary roles. But of course, resources seem infinite when you don't actually have to do any of the work.

You're welcome to grouse at me because you don't like it, but don't think you're convincing anyone I'm wrong. NO ONE who does this for a living would prioritize serving a fraction of the playerbase over producing the exact same types of content in a way that synchronizes with a show currently being broadcast. Sync'ing up with Discovery would be the dream shot for STO. Sure, a KDF mini-faction release on par with AoY would be a noble undertaking but there's not a snowballs' chance in Gre'thor they'd pursue that while the other possibility exists.
    It's no secret that I'm not sold on the notion of Discovery, but I can see a Discovery event, or a pack featuring ships, costumes, weapons etc, being released before a significantly Klingon/Romulan RE, for the reasons you mentioned. I'd rather not see it at all, and the day my Starfleet Klingon's appearance becomes defaulted to that of what we've seen in the trailers with no selection possible, would be the day I quit the game (but I don't think Cryptic would be so stupid as to force such a change on characters without it being a selectable option) but I can certainly see that Discovery (depending how well it's received) would be the most obvious subject to go for, in terms of adding something new. Not what I would personally like to see, but I can see why Cryptic would go for it, rather than KDF/Romulan REs.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Did they change all the Klingons to Kelvin Timeline appearance? No they did not, they made a costume pack so those who wanted to use that look could. That's the most that will happen with Discovery, a costume pack. Stop being needlessly dramatic.
    Needlessly dramatic? Did they not change the appearance of EVERYTHING from a nice matte texturing, where skin looked like skin, to a waxy, indented, texturing where skin looked like wet clay without the thumb-prints smoothed out and Ken-Doll hair appearance?

Tell me they didn't do that, and that the original setting can be restored (and how to do it, please) and I'll be less concerned about the idea of Klingons 'getting a makeover'. All the time stuff remains user selectable-options, then awesome, to each his own. But when these changes are unilaterally applied, that's taking away one of the game's key-strengths: Star Trek - Have it Your Way. I hear that when Romulan Embassy officers were first released, they didn't have faces due to some glitch. So it's more than possible for an intended addition to somehow become a permanent glitch. Tell me that that can't happen, and I'll stop being worried about the possibility :)

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Since everything I actually know about Discovery I saw in a two minute promo, I can't say what I'd think of a Discovery-based recruitment expansion. I'll know more next fall, I guess.

However, I believe that both CBS and STO will want to advertise for Discovery. I'm not sure how, in the next year or so, such content could be included without including spoilers for the series, aside, perhaps, for a ship or two.
    There is no chance at all that they will make all Klingons in the game look like the ones in Discovery (which there is nothing whatsoever wrong with anyway).
    I'm sure they never intended for Romulan Embassy boffs to be faceless either, but apparently, it happened ;) Now with regards the appearance of the Discovery Klingons, I actually don't have an issue with them. If they had cranial and facial hair, they wouldn't look so different to what we've gotten used to since WoK onwards. Except for those very wide four-nostrilled noses. I won't tell you how long I spent working on my VR Klingon fem's appearance, but she is cute AF, and one of the features which took the most work to get to look delicate (headcanoned as her actually being half-human) was her nose. If it was to be changed, to be Discovery-Style, it would throw off her entire appearance. Well, even more than Wax Look already has done.
    I don't know what the heck your talking about with the Ken doll comment, nothing in my game looks like that.
    Really? For example, originally hair textures looked like this (textured, but realistic):
    IMG_1447_zpsukr5dqfk.jpg

Now, they look like this (glossy, as if painted on):
    IMG_1449_zps4runigso.jpg

These following pictures, show what I mean by the shadowing on the skin:
    IMG_1448_zpspm5il4qk.png

IMG_1451_zpsjqpssyrp.png

Equally, look at Miral's cranial ridges. The setting for those, originally, looked shallow and subtle, but now, it looks harshly defined:
    IMG_1450_zpsb3wtvfmi.jpg

Before Escalation, all my toons appearances were like the first picture. After Escalation (the one time I was able to load the game) they all had the waxy/shadowed/intended appearance like the other pictures, and I'd really like to be able to restore the original setting :)

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Did they change all the Klingons to Kelvin Timeline appearance? No they did not, they made a costume pack so those who wanted to use that look could. That's the most that will happen with Discovery, a costume pack. Stop being needlessly dramatic.
    Needlessly dramatic? Did they not change the appearance of EVERYTHING from a nice matte texturing, where skin looked like skin, to a waxy, indented, texturing where skin looked like wet clay without the thumb-prints smoothed out and Ken-Doll hair appearance?
    No, they didn't. I can only assume you're having problems with your computer if something like that happens for you.
    warpangel wrote: »
    No, they didn't. I can only assume you're having problems with your computer if something like that happens for you.
    See my above post for examples found online :) Is that appearance setting not now the default?

• gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    I'm guessing another 6 months or so, maybe early 2018? I'm already planning ahead:
    Fed Caitian Engineer flying dreadnought cruisers, to eventually work up to the 23rd century prototype dreadnought.

I have not recovered from grinding my AoY toon. Hopefully nothing soon.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User

People have talked about and posted on the lighting quality issue on the forums and on reddit.

I dislike the wet/shiny/waxy look that changed for me since Season 13 went live.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
    > @silverlobes#2676 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > There is no chance at all that they will make all Klingons in the game look like the ones in Discovery (which there is nothing whatsoever wrong with anyway).
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm sure they never intended for Romulan Embassy boffs to be faceless either, but apparently, it happened ;) Now with regards the appearance of the Discovery Klingons, I actually don't have an issue with them. If they had cranial and facial hair, they wouldn't look so different to what we've gotten used to since WoK onwards. Except for those very wide four-nostrilled noses. I won't tell you how long I spent working on my VR Klingon fem's appearance, but she is cute AF, and one of the features which took the most work to get to look delicate (headcanoned as her actually being half-human) was her nose. If it was to be changed, to be Discovery-Style, it would throw off her entire appearance. Well, even more than Wax Look already has done.
    > I don't know what the heck your talking about with the Ken doll comment, nothing in my game looks like that.
    >
    >
    >
    > Really? For example, originally hair textures looked like this (textured, but realistic):
    >
    >
    > Now, they look like this (glossy, as if painted on):
    >
    >
    > These following pictures, show what I mean by the shadowing on the skin:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Equally, look at Miral's cranial ridges. The setting for those, originally, looked shallow and subtle, but now, it looks harshly defined:
    >
    >
    > Before Escalation, all my toons appearances were like the first picture. After Escalation (the one time I was able to load the game) they all had the waxy/shadowed/intended appearance like the other pictures, and I'd really like to be able to restore the original setting :)

Regarding the Discovery Klingons let me ask you this. Did you watch Braveheart? Did it bother you that none of the Scottish costumes were accurate to the period or worn correctly? If such inaccuracies about real historical people & events didn't bother you then why get worked up about changes to an entirely fictional subject?

Regarding the pictures, can't comment for a couple of reasons. 1 I don't see what you want me to see. 2 None of my characters have changed appearance in any way & I'm logged in every day.
    I've never seen Braveheart, so really can't comment on it specifics, but I would ask, if those inaccuracies were things which anyone watching and with a vague knowledge of history would recognize, or, were they the kind of things which only someone with an interest in that historical period would notice? As a comparison, I have seen Highlander and Rob Roy, and although I don't know anything about the time periods they were set in, I could accept them as presented :)

1. What do you mean by 'don't see'? Do you mean the images/links aren't working for you?
    2. Interesting. If you go into tailor, and put a female in the antares skirt option, what is the texture of the center panal look like for you? Does it look like black cotton, or more like something with a hexagonal pattern overlaid, like the repeating Starfleet arrowhead motif on the JJ movie uniform shirts?

PS As I Fear The Edit: I don't have an issue with how the Discovery Klingons look, I just don't want mai waifu to look like one :D

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    See my above post for examples found online :) Is that appearance setting not now the default?
    What appearance setting? I don't see anything different or unusual in those pictures. And there's certainly not any new appearance setting on my computer. Now, I do have to admit I haven't gone to take close-up screenshots of random NPCs faces to compare rubber forehead depth, but all my own toons look the same as they've always looked.

It'll take a whole lot more than a few random mugshots to explain the "waxy." Those pictures can't be properly compared, because they're of different characters in different locations with different lighting (and if you found them online instead of making them yourself, probably rendered with different computers and graphics settings as well). As for "shadowed," of course there is a shadow on the opposite side from the light source. Not every location is going to have lights in all directions.
    What appearance setting?
    At the risk of sounding obvious, the setting with which appearances and textures are rendered. Lighting 2.0 or whatever it was previously. The last comment on the linked reddit page, with emphasis added:
    You don't have to turn on SSAO to get rid of the transparency issue. Another workaround is to turn on both "Postprocessing" and "Cinematic focus (depth of field)".

I seriously doubt they will reverse the Season 13 graphics changes. They didn't even mention them in the patch notes; I don't think we were supposed to notice. My guess is that this was supposed to be a silent, behind-the-scenes code simplification. They're trying to simplify the graphics code by eliminating differences between how the game works with Lighting 2.0 turned on and how it works with Lighting 2.0 turned off. I noticed that they removed some options which didn't seem to do anything when Lighting 2.0 was turned on.
    I don't see anything different or unusual in those pictures. And there's certainly not any new appearance setting on my computer.

Now, I do have to admit I haven't gone to take close-up screenshots of random NPCs faces to compare rubber forehead depth, but all my own toons look the same as they've always looked.
    So the characters on your game, have always looked like the last three pictures (Alien Fem, Krin and Miral)? Because on the computer I was using, they only began to take on those lighting/texture qualities after Escalation was released (then it crashed, and wouldn't reload without crashing) and which the reddit poster, also mentions as being a change made in Season 13. Oh, those're found images, by the way, not ones I've taken personally. But that was the effect I was seeing on the faces of the boffs while having the inventory open.
    It'll take a whole lot more than a few random mugshots to explain the "waxy." Those pictures can't be properly compared, because they're of different characters in different locations with different lighting (and if you found them online instead of making them yourself, probably rendered with different computers and graphics settings as well). As for "shadowed," of course there is a shadow on the opposite side from the light source. Not every location is going to have lights in all directions.
    A whole lot more such as what? You seriously can't see the difference between the textures between the first picture, and the last three? As for the shadows, yes, there will be a shadow on the opposite side from the light source, I'm referring to the intensity of the absolute blackness of the shadow, and the shadowing under the eyebrows, the rim under the lower eye-lids, the point under the nose etc. In the first picture (the same as what my settings showed) the shadowing is more subtle, and the skin texture appears softer. In the last pictures, the shadows are harsh, and the skin texture appears almost waxy, with very prominent shadows and high-lights.

> @silverlobes#2676 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @silverlobes#2676 said:
    > > azrael605 wrote: »
    > >
    > > There is no chance at all that they will make all Klingons in the game look like the ones in Discovery (which there is nothing whatsoever wrong with anyway).
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I'm sure they never intended for Romulan Embassy boffs to be faceless either, but apparently, it happened ;) Now with regards the appearance of the Discovery Klingons, I actually don't have an issue with them. If they had cranial and facial hair, they wouldn't look so different to what we've gotten used to since WoK onwards. Except for those very wide four-nostrilled noses. I won't tell you how long I spent working on my VR Klingon fem's appearance, but she is cute AF, and one of the features which took the most work to get to look delicate (headcanoned as her actually being half-human) was her nose. If it was to be changed, to be Discovery-Style, it would throw off her entire appearance. Well, even more than Wax Look already has done.
    > > I don't know what the heck your talking about with the Ken doll comment, nothing in my game looks like that.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Really? For example, originally hair textures looked like this (textured, but realistic):
    > >
    > >
    > > Now, they look like this (glossy, as if painted on):
    > >
    > >
    > > These following pictures, show what I mean by the shadowing on the skin:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Equally, look at Miral's cranial ridges. The setting for those, originally, looked shallow and subtle, but now, it looks harshly defined:
    > >
    > >
    > > Before Escalation, all my toons appearances were like the first picture. After Escalation (the one time I was able to load the game) they all had the waxy/shadowed/intended appearance like the other pictures, and I'd really like to be able to restore the original setting :)
    >
    > Regarding the Discovery Klingons let me ask you this. Did you watch Braveheart? Did it bother you that none of the Scottish costumes were accurate to the period or worn correctly? If such inaccuracies about real historical people & events didn't bother you then why get worked up about changes to an entirely fictional subject?
    >
    > Regarding the pictures, can't comment for a couple of reasons. 1 I don't see what you want me to see. 2 None of my characters have changed appearance in any way & I'm logged in every day.
    >
    >
    >
    > I've never seen Braveheart, so really can't comment on it specifics, but I would ask, if those inaccuracies were things which anyone watching and with a vague knowledge of history would recognize, or, were they the kind of things which only someone with an interest in that historical period would notice? As a comparison, I have seen Highlander and Rob Roy, and although I don't know anything about the time periods they were set in, I could accept them as presented :)
    >
    > 1. What do you mean by 'don't see'? Do you mean the images/links aren't working for you?
    > 2. Interesting. If you go into tailor, and put a female in the antares skirt option, what is the texture of the center panal look like for you? Does it look like black cotton, or more like something with a hexagonal pattern overlaid, like the repeating Starfleet arrowhead motif on the JJ movie uniform shirts?

The most commonly pointed out inaccuracy in Braveheart is the Scottish costuming. They were literally wearing kilts centuries earlier than they actually did & they wore them backwards. Rob Roy tried really hard for accuracy, it needed a better story. Highlander, much as I love it, was never very accurate.
    As I'm not much of a history buff, I never really gave thought to the costume accuracy in Highlander, I just figured 'looks about right' from what I'd expect of the Scottish highland clans in The Past, but now you've said that about Braveheart, I'm almost tempted to check it out to see.
    By I don't see I mean I disagree with your assent of how the images look. The only issues I have had with the uniforms anytime recently was the transparent rank bug, which has now been fixed.
    Okay, so you don't see a difference in the nature of the shadowing on the faces of the first pic, and Krin? Compare the dark rim directly under Krin's lower eye lids, and how intense the shadowing is on her upper eye-lids, and equally the vividness of the highlighting on the ridges of her nose, the top of her upper-cheek, and her bottom lip. A much 'harsher' highlight compared to the toon in the first picture.

With regards the transparent rank bug, has that also fixed the bug with the transparency of hairstyles? For example, one of the female ponytails with quite messy bangs, is what I use on my Romulan Embassy boff. With the glitch, the transparent areas between the wisps of the bangs, also takes on the color of her hair, as does the entire area surrounding her ornate waist chain (I forget what the costume piece is called, but it's like a medalion/cameo on a chain) so I'm curious as to if fixing the rank bug has also fixed the issue with the hair :)

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    OOlXEYX.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    @azrael605 Please feel free to PM if you'd like to continue the discussion :)

A Discovery expansion should include the supposed Klingons we've seen in the trailer. The idea that this would retroactively change all Klingon characters to that model is a bit far fetched. We have TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons side by side and nobody sneezes.

Which brings up another issue: they might put Discovery Klingons in the C-store. Imagine how many players will plunk down the Zen to get them! DOffs, BOffs, and Playable Character Unlock.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    gamma quad with dominion cardassian expan? vorta, alpha jemhadar (sp) and cardi playable toons.
    brian334 wrote: »
    A Discovery expansion should include the supposed Klingons we've seen in the trailer. The idea that this would retroactively change all Klingon characters to that model is a bit far fetched. We have TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons side by side and nobody sneezes.

Which brings up another issue: they might put Discovery Klingons in the C-store. Imagine how many players will plunk down the Zen to get them! DOffs, BOffs, and Playable Character Unlock.
    And yet as mentioned, Romulan Embassy boffs had some no-face glitch. Some recent transparency glitch borked ranks, hair and accessories. My concern, is simply that adding a variable for Klingons (or Andorians for that matter, as I recall one of the Discovery pre-release teasers showing what looked like Andorian antennae) might inadvertently over-write the existing variables, creating a bug which may take a while to fix, like the MVAM console glitch, or the tailor glitch (whatever that was, I don't think I ever saw it, saw it, but have seen it mentioned) if it can be fixed at all.

I agree Discovery content is the way to go for the next major receuitment event, I just have concerns about what might happen upon implementation, because the code can do some strange things :D

tigeraries wrote: »
    gamma quad with dominion cardassian expan? vorta, alpha jemhadar (sp) and cardi playable toons.

I'm interested in your ideas about what we'd do there.