test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crashes on Risa

HI, I have had no pronlems playing STO on my Windows installation on my mac for several months, Now that Risa event has opened, I keep crashing while flying the Flying high mission to get the ship. Idk, what is wrong. The game crashes and I can't login to that charatcer again since it get stuck on loading the map. Any other character is fine. Any idea what is wrong?

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They made some changes to stop people from crashing on Risa in yesterday's patch. It could be whatever change they made did not sit well with the Mac hardware.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    :/ damn it.. risa was just fine and now i cant do anything without crashes
    edited June 2017
    Is it a holiday in US today? Support haven't responded today. I still have this issue that when I crash on Risa (which I apprently do a lot all the sudden), i can't load my character when I re-log. Any idea what could cause a crash and why I can't re-enter to the map with the character that I crashed with and why it get stuck on loadinG map at 94% ish mark?
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Is it a holiday in US today? Support haven't responded today. I still have this issue that when I crash on Risa (which I apprently do a lot all the sudden), i can't load my character when I re-log. Any idea what could cause a crash and why I can't re-enter to the map with the character that I crashed with and why it get stuck on loadinG map at 94% ish mark?

In your message to support did you mention that you are using a windows installation on a Mac?​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Have you tried to do force verify when you launch STO? Looking in the support sub-forum there are no recent threads created regarding crashes on Risa. At worse, you may need to attempt a full re-installation of the game.
    bloodyriz wrote: »

In your message to support did you mention that you are using a windows installation on a Mac?​​

Yes I did mention this but they don't seem to be able to help me. I am trying to reinstall STO now via their advice but its not patching, I am kind of feeling frusterated. If a friend logon to that character I can't load after a crash, it seems fine? So, there is something on my end .. some corrupt files maybe that is preventing me to load the map after a crash?

I could have played some mission and ignore Risa, but I want that Risa ship.. but if I cant do daily runs becuase of crashing... ?

There is no way to move your toon if you crash and can't load the map u where on, .. this is something also I don't understand. If i crash, I can't load my character back to the map? Why does it get stuck?

What did they do to cause this, I was on risa before the event and I experienced no crash?
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Have you tried to do force verify when you launch STO? Looking in the support sub-forum there are no recent threads created regarding crashes on Risa. At worse, you may need to attempt a full re-installation of the game.

I tried verifying... did not help. Yeah I am re-installing.. taking forever becuase the patching isnt always active, ..

Thinking about it, last time i copied the downloaded files from a steam installation i had becuase i was having problem downloading 14 gb via arc. Maybe this is casuing my instabilities?
    bloodyriz wrote: »

In your message to support did you mention that you are using a windows installation on a Mac?

Yes I did mention this but they don't seem to be able to help me. I am trying to reinstall STO now via their advice but its not patching, I am kind of feeling frusterated. If a friend logon to that character I can't load after a crash, it seems fine? So, there is something on my end .. some corrupt files maybe that is preventing me to load the map after a crash?

I could have played some mission and ignore Risa, but I want that Risa ship.. but if I cant do daily runs becuase of crashing... ?

There is no way to move your toon if you crash and can't load the map u where on, .. this is something also I don't understand. If i crash, I can't load my character back to the map? Why does it get stuck?

What did they do to cause this, I was on risa before the event and I experienced no crash?

Honestly, I am surprised their response wasn't "Buy a PC" since Mac is no longer supported at all. As for why it happened, my bet is that when the event started there was something in one of it's events that your computer didn't like.​​
    signature.png
    Îs there some drivers i can install? or something that would help?
    edited June 2017
    Sorry the only thing that might work would be a full uninstall and reinstall of STO on your windows install. BTW which version of Windows do you have on that Mac?​​
    signature.png
    edited June 2017
    @BLOODYRIZ

Re-install didn't help the crashing on Risa. It's funny that I don't seem to be crashing on the other maps.

I have windows 10.
    @BLOODYRIZ

Re-install didn't help the crashing on Risa. It's funny that I don't seem to be crashing on the other maps.

I have windows 10.

Honestly, I suspect it is something in the translation from Windows to Mac and then back. Alot of us were crashing on Risa prior to the event going live, but the patch putting the event live fixed it for (at least those who were talking about the crashes) us pure PC folk.​​
    signature.png
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    If all else fails, disable post-process in display settings. I think the gates in Flying high mission are using some kind of tricky gfx solution.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    edited June 2017
    > @bernatk said:
    > If all else fails, disable post-process in display settings. I think the gates in Flying high mission are using some kind of tricky gfx solution.

How do I do that?

Support will not help since I have a mac. Sadly this won't encourage me to buy a Windows.

I guess i should be happy I can play the rest of the game without crashing for the most part. Just that Risa is my favourite event. :/ haven't even got a chance to test new activity.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    > @bernatk said:
    > If all else fails, disable post-process in display settings. I think the gates in Flying high mission are using some kind of tricky gfx solution.

How do I do that?

Support will not help since I have a mac. Sadly this won't encourage me to buy a Windows.

I guess i should be happy I can play the rest of the game without crashing for the most part. Just that Risa is my favourite event. :/ haven't even got a chance to test new activity.

On character choice screen there is "Options" buton on lower right side of screen.
    Choose then "Graphics" tab, and then you can fidlle with it, like for example:
    You can turn off "Lighting 2.0", "Postprocessing", lower "Visual FX Quality", "World detail distance" and "Terrain detail distance"
    to get lower graphics and beter performance or/and compatibility

I think, you can get to "Graphics" tab in Options in game too

Edit:
    Also, recently, my STO client started crashing, when i'm running in background Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, so check what are you running in background...