test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some maps in STO cause extreme low framerates - [Potential Solution]

altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
For a long time now, I have been trying to resolve a low framerate problem on a handful of maps. These include Risa Resort, New Romulus, Starbase 24 Fleet Action, and Badlands. These have been unplayable, with framerates as low as 9FPS. No amount of graphics settings tweaking, driver re-installs etc would fix it. Lowering settings would not improve it by even 1FPS. CPU and GPU use were under 50%, usually only 20% or less. This issue pre-dates the lighting 2.0 update too.

It appears to affect many GFX cards on many different systems, from what I can find on a trawl through Google. It seems that some combinations of CPU/GFX/Motherboard cause a problem with the way the GFX drivers, DirectX and/or STO interpret the system clock. Why this only happens on some maps, I do not know.

The solution, for me, was the following:

1) Disable HPET (High Performance Event Timer) in your BIOS.
2) Disable the HPET service in Windows for good measure (do not do this part if you do not have the BIOS option!)
3) Open an admin command prompt, and do the following:
i) "bcdedit /enum" - look toward the end of the results for any of these: "useplatformclock", "tscsyncpolicy" and "disabledynamictick"
ii) If you are having the same issue as me, you will likely see one or more of those. You can remove them to hopefully solve the problem.
iii)
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
bcdedit /deletevalue tscsyncpolicy
bcdedit /deletevalue disabledynamictick

iv) Do "bcdedit /enum" to check it all worked.
5) Reboot.

Note: Do check that other more modern games are not adversely affected. It is safe to start from step 3 if you can't or don't want to mess with BIOS.

To put the values back use "bcdedit /setvalue [name] true".

Hope that helps someone!
tnl3Zwx.png

Comments

• dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Typically this isn't required if you installed a motherboard and installed an OS along with it as it should already be set. If you've upgraded motherboards without changing the OS you may need to do this. Or if someone else installed either and or you just don't know you can always check it. If you're fine don't worry about it though.

Win 10 doesn't use HPET nor does Win XP sp2 or older. Just an fyi so people don't mess up their comp or waste their time. You might also want to list after 1) step 2 must be done if you do step 1. I made the mistake of doing one without doing the other and messed up my win 7 system. Thankfully it was an easy fix. Some people will claim it does nothing and others will praise it. When I had 1 off and 1 on it immediately caused stuttering in games. Didn't notice any fps issues except for the bad stuttering. I was fine before this but wanted to test it as I do computer gaming support. So I had to see for myself and sure enough it does make a difference.

Also if it was already enabled in the bios and most are and you installed an OS between xp sp2 and win 8.1 along with that motherboard then it's already enabled in the OS if that motherboard had it enabled. Part of the initial install of the OS will check this. If you use win 10 or win xp sp2 or older you can either have hpet enabled or disabled in the bios as it will make no difference to the OS. Win 10 uses a different timing system (updated TSC possibly?) and win xp sp2 and older use the old TSC.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    None of the steps will mess anything up in the way you make out. Doing 1) and not 2) has no terrible effect on Windows. You clearly did something else if you "messed up" your Win 7 system.

Anyway, you've missed the point entirely - it wasn't a post about the advantages or disadvantages of HPET being on or off. It was a quick guide to fixing a very specific issue where HPET had been forced on for Windows (by whatever means - cause is not relevant), causing different clock results to be returned depending on how it is queried (Usually one of two methods). This means one part of the system, let's say the NVidia drivers/GFX card, reading a system clock of 3.8MHz while another, say the audio drivers or DirectX, reading one at 14MHz (the HPET frequency). So they get horribly out of sync, which means high latency and excessive interrupts - leading to the judder problem.
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    I didn't miss your point at all and stand by what I posted.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
    Just a quick update to this thread: I have now had 2 users contact me to say this worked for them. If you have unresolved framerate issues in STO, give this a go.
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • smithdecksmithdeck Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Doesn't fix my issues
    smithdeck wrote: »
    Doesn't fix my issues

Thanks for that :wink:
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I'm affected by the low FPS on specific maps bug but HPET settings are not available in my bios settings. My system is running win 10 (7 installed originally) and was originally built from an HPE-410f (radeon R7 200 series now). I assume my motherboard just doesn't have it. Naturally then, none of the bcdedit items are listed either.

Rather than the specific cause of the slowdown (which tracks with certain kinds of vegetation. Ex. the grasses on Regulus which can be toggled on/off. The bug also started with or shortly after season 10) what you might have found is a general performance boost for your system. Now, the hit from whatever is going on isn't significant enough to have a big impact. I've found this to be the case from the lighting 2.0 update. It runs better on my system, so the Risa/New Rom slowdowns are only noticeable now. Ditto for a swap to an SSD (I was bottlenecked by my old HDD, replacing it most notably improved Risa because that's where I'm on a performance threshold.)

Incidentally, if Cryptic is still investigating this problem...a less technical stop-gap fix could just be to tag grass on Risa and New Romulus as a high detail object (like it is on Regulus). Then affected players might have some control over the slowdown, ie. turning that setting off, assuming it's the same trigger. Unaffected players (on lower end systems) would just be looking at a slight art change.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I'm affected by the low FPS on specific maps bug but HPET settings are not available in my bios settings. My system is running win 10 (7 installed originally) and was originally built from an HPE-410f (radeon R7 200 series now). I assume my motherboard just doesn't have it. Naturally then, none of the bcdedit items are listed either.

Rather than the specific cause of the slowdown (which tracks with certain kinds of vegetation. Ex. the grasses on Regulus which can be toggled on/off. The bug also started with or shortly after season 10) what you might have found is a general performance boost for your system. Now, the hit from whatever is going on isn't significant enough to have a big impact. I've found this to be the case from the lighting 2.0 update. It runs better on my system, so the Risa/New Rom slowdowns are only noticeable now. Ditto for a swap to an SSD (I was bottlenecked by my old HDD, replacing it most notably improved Risa because that's where I'm on a performance threshold.)

Incidentally, if Cryptic is still investigating this problem...a less technical stop-gap fix could just be to tag grass on Risa and New Romulus as a high detail object (like it is on Regulus). Then affected players might have some control over the slowdown, ie. turning that setting off, assuming it's the same trigger. Unaffected players (on lower end systems) would just be looking at a slight art change.

You are correct - the problem with HPET is excessive interrupts. In normal use it's not even noticeable, and usually you might only notice it in real-time audio applications. I agree that STO is doing something a bit odd, and it is linked to just one or two effects and objects. If we take Risa as an example - the problem is worse when looking in toward the island, but also significantly worse during "night", even though we no longer see night, it's still there - something from the day/night cycle causes a significant problem and it doesn't increase GPU use when it happens - the framerate just drops. I didn't get into details before, as the fix makes it at least playable for people with the problem.

It could be something other that HPET too - a bad driver for example. Get hold of "LatencyMon" - it can show you which drivers are causing excessive ISRs. Common ones are motherboard SMB driver and USB driver.

tnl3Zwx.png
    edited May 2017
    altran3301 wrote: »

It could be something other that HPET too - a bad driver for example. Get hold of "LatencyMon" - it can show you which drivers are causing excessive ISRs. Common ones are motherboard SMB driver and USB driver.

Thanks, I ran latencymon. USBPORT.SYS is coming up as a problem. I looked around online and tried a few things people reported as fixing their problem (disabling specific system devices using the driver, unplugging usb devices). No joy. HDAudBus.sys, ndis.sys, and storport.sys also register a high number of ISR's.

Update: here's another test result (along the lines of flinging stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks) In running a more advanced troubleshooting method (performance log in windows dev toolkit) I've found that ntoskrnl.exe is the ISR/DCP leader above the .sys entries. It's a core process, so I don't know if it's worth investigating over USB issues.

Update 2: I'm starting to think that this could be a motherboard software/hardware issue.

Update 3: I've manually reinstalled all drivers with a plausible or reported connection to usbport/storport issues. I also reinstalled windows for the hell of it. Usbport and storport still come up as having ISR's and DCP's. That said it's often not enough to trigger a red flag in the performance monitor. There also isn't a noticeable increase when I run STO. So I am doubting whether latency fixes are at all relevant to the Risa slowdowns, except as a general performance improvement on badly affected systems that make STO's odd FPS issues less or totally irrelevant depending on where those builds are.

The connection ATM seems empirical and the latency on my system doesn't seem to correspond to the magnitude of latency problems posted around the net or to the once severe (now mild on my end, thanks to various upgrades+updates) Risa FPS slowdowns....unless it's a binary problem, where any amount of system latency causes a specific type of vegetation (ex. Risa/Regulus/New Romulus grass) to kill the framerate in STO.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Have you tried using alternative drivers? By that, I mean instead of the vendor (eg ASUS), the chipset manufacturer drivers? It's an annoying thing to track down - and the high ISR count on the system process can still be caused by something else. I'd start with the USB drivers, then the mainboard chipset (SMB).

There is something wrong on the STO end, but it shouldn't be unplayable if other maps are ok.
    tnl3Zwx.png
    edited May 2017
    Have you tried using alternative drivers? By that, I mean instead of the vendor (eg ASUS), the chipset manufacturer drivers? It's an annoying thing to track down - and the high ISR count on the system process can still be caused by something else. I'd start with the USB drivers, then the mainboard chipset (SMB).

There is something wrong on the STO end, but it shouldn't be unplayable if other maps are ok.

I tried that with the SATA control drivers, I'll investigate the chipset and USB. Basically, it's a question now whether or not my ISR/DPC count is high. After disabling unnecessary audio drivers/devices I'm consistently in the green now for the Latencymon test results (down to USBport, ndis.sys, and storport.sys, lower frequency) . I'll pursue the issue further but it might just be the interaction of system components (I can only work with available drivers). The full solution on this one bug then would be to build a new PC on the assumption that the next hardware set won't have a weird interaction with Risa/New Romulus/Regulus vegetation introduced in season 10 (which isn't very practical ATM.)
    I tried that with the SATA control drivers, I'll investigate the chipset and USB. Basically, it's a question now whether or not my ISR/DPC count is high. After disabling unnecessary audio drivers/devices I'm consistently in the green now for the Latencymon test results (down to USBport, ndis.sys, and storport.sys, lower frequency) . I'll pursue the issue further but it might just be the interaction of system components (I can only work with available drivers). The full solution on this one bug then would be to build a new PC on the assumption that the next hardware set won't have a weird interaction with Risa/New Romulus/Regulus vegetation introduced in season 10 (which isn't very practical ATM.)

Ok, so now it's in the green with some devices disabled, has the framerate improved at all?

It's worth using "/fpsgraph 1" in-game so you can see how many purple spikes there are in the graph - it should be none, but one or two every now and then is normal.

I agree, building a new PC is NOT a solution. :-)
    tnl3Zwx.png
    edited May 2017

Ok, so now it's in the green with some devices disabled, has the framerate improved at all?

Nope, not at all. The improvement in latencymod results has not procuded any visible change in the game. There's the FPS graph spike every now and then, occasionally associated with loading a new asset (ex. ship warping in at ESD). But that's all normal. At this point I'm taking the latency issue was a sign that my system hardware doesn't get along as best as system hardware could. I'm pretty confident now that there is nothing more I can do with device/driver manipulation, besides down-right crazy experimentation with odd, incompatible driver choices (which is far more likely to cause things to break.)

It might explain why it's always undershot a little with STO but then again any number of hardware-specific bugs might do that too (which STO has variously added/subtracted over the years). Basically, the amount of latency I have now is probably "normal" for my system. The FPS issue with certain types of ground vegetation (ie. the grass) is a problem separate problem (since it was added only with Season 10.) Improving performance can get around it (which is the solution I've found) and maybe improving latency helps disproportionately to, say, just increasing processing power (which might explain your results and a small improvement when I moved to an SSD last year).

So, for affected users it might be something to look at. But some of us will still have to wait for a Cryptic-side fix (or an eventual PC upgrade) for a total solution.
  • archsorcererxarchsorcererx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I have used the method used in the opening post to fix my FPS problems in this game. I went from 10 fps on Risa to 50 so I can confirm that it does indeed work. Although everybody's issue might be different.
  • kovabombkovabomb Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I have been encountering Framerate issues as well. After some time of usage, I've discovered some consistency in the problem, at least for me.

For those interested, my machine’s specs are as follows:
    Dell Inspiron N4110
    Intel® Core i3-2330M CPU @2.20GHz
    8.00 GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7
    Running with system-standard hardware

Now, this is how a typical session goes for me:
    I load up the game and things are running normally and smoothly. I run through my daily DOFF, Admiralty, and Dilithium activities on my five characters with no issues, the process taking around 30-40 minutes. It’s around this time that things start to happen. The framerate drops significantly and all of a sudden, the drop being more pronounced if I'm on certain maps like ESD. This has also happened on PvE maps and I’ve noticed that the framerate drop is at its worst whenever enemies or large numbers of NPCs enter my field of vision. If I “look away” and focus the camera in a place without any enemies, the framerate improves but doesn’t completely recover. Then, when I look back at the enemy, the framerate falls again.

When this has happened, I quit the game, load it back up, and return to my main character. With this restart, the framerate has returned to normal and I’m able to play on any map with no ill effects. That is, until I’ve been playing for some time, then the issue returns.

It’s as if the game is “gumming its self up” over time. It starts out fine, but slowly builds up until the framerate goes kaput all at once.
    kovabomb wrote: »
    When this has happened, I quit the game, load it back up, and return to my main character. With this restart, the framerate has returned to normal and I’m able to play on any map with no ill effects. That is, until I’ve been playing for some time, then the issue returns.

That sounds like an overheating issue really, given the time element. It's probably worth cleaning up the cooling fan and heat dissipation fins inside, and perhaps replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Laptops are particularly good at storing dust, especially in a home. The thermal paste also degrades over time, and doesn't conduct heat as well as when new.

If you can't do it yourself, most PC/laptop repair people can do it for you and it should not be very expensive. Only attempt it yourself if you know what you're doing - the internals on that particular laptop are not as simple as some (fan removal is ok, but removing the mainboard and replacing thermal paste is not quite so straightforward).

It's possible you don't notice an issue outside of STO. The code for STO is not exactly efficient, and it certainly makes my desktop PC run a little hotter than most other games - even more modern ones. You could test whether it is overheating by running the graphics stress-test built into the GPU-Z information tool (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/ the ? icon about halfway down on the right of the program's window). Run it for a while and see if the framerate drops. This tool should also show you the GPU temperature on the sensors tab, which you can monitor during the test.

Worth a try.
    tnl3Zwx.png
    That sounds like an overheating issue really, given the time element.

I've had overheating issues with older laptops, but the one I have now has been able to run STO for years without a hitch. Perhaps not at full graphics, but I've not had any trouble like this until now. This issue began the day Season 13 went live, and it was even more pronounced that first day before the follow-up patch. It's gotten better over the weeks, but it's not been fixed. If it truly was an issue with my laptop overheating, this would have come up when they made their graphical overhauls or when they phased out the lesser graphics systems. Such was not the case. Furthermore, I don't think simply quitting the game and immediately loading it back up would alleviate a overheating issue like I have been able to do.

Something else that I failed to mention in my post before: when the framerate drop strikes and persists, a gameclient crash almost invariably follows. It was for that reason that I took to restarting my game.
    I still say it's worth checking. It may well not have shown up with the lighting 2.0 update, but that was some time ago now. As I said, the thermal paste degrades over time and dust builds up. Perhaps the latest update is just pushing it a little harder, and you're now noticing the issue? Is this not worth at least ruling out? That's not a new laptop after all.
    tnl3Zwx.png
    You have valid arguments, but after running the test you recommended, cleaning out my fans, and a host of other things, the problem still persists. I let the test run for about as long as I play before encountering the issue, and my system was still fine. I can continue to tinker, but I really do think it’s more than just my system. Yes, it’s not as powerful as others, but I’ve not had this framerate issue on this machine until the launch of Season 13, and it’s only in STO that I experience it.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    Including your system specs usually makes troubleshooting a lot easier. At the very least, it offers the dev team a scenario to possibly investigate.
    Well, today's patch did not fix the framerate and associated gameclient crash.
  • binarylogicbinarylogic Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I just complimented OP's fix and Risa went from a slideshow back to full performance.
  • kernowfredkernowfred Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just wanted to say the OP's fix also just helped Risa go from 6 fps to 60 fps. Guess I'd broke summit before. Even got another external program working too.

Cheers
    edited June 2017
    One extra symptom I'll throw into here: I also have big FPS drops when many overlapping nebula assets are in view (such as those one can place in the Foundry.) Could be related (ie. system struggles to render many overlapping 2D planes, ex. the huge amount of grass in the volcano crater on Risa, where my FPS drop is sharpest).
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • monkeyknigmonkeyknig Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I'm flabbergasted, it actually worked.

FYI: The option may be listed as High Precision Timer depending on your motherboard. It's the same thing, and disabling it improved my performance across the game.
  • adamspire#9038 adamspire Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    (flame/troll/necro post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,858 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    (redacted material removed) - darkbladejk

Altran3301 is not a Cryptic employee. Also, you just necroed this post since it is not a bug report.

Edit: I accidentally necroed it as well. This needs to be closed.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    (redacted material removed) - darkbladejk

Not to mention this post is like 4 1/2 years old. Nice necro.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,804 Community Moderator
    wow, I could see this flame strike from orbit. (white lantern ring blast to zombie post) /closed
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.