test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Skip All" button

2»

Comments

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    STO is a SP game which can be played simultaneously, either cooperatively or competetively, with multiple online players.

All of STO's missions are written from the PoV of your individual captain being the one who saves the day, just like any Single Player RPG. Even in end game content where groups of players must cooperate to win, the storyline plays as if your captain were the important member of the group.

For those of you who complain about linear storylines and being forced to perform acts your character would never undertake: go write a mission in Foundry which embodies your concept of a good Star Trek Online episode. It ain't as easy as it looks on TV kids.

So, the real question is, has Cryptic created a solution for those who want to bypass certain missions within a story arc? Yes: start mission, exit mission, play the next one. Has Cryptic created a solution for those who wish to play endgame content without playing early game content? Again, yes. Just open your wallet and grab that bank card. Either way, have fun. It's a Single Player game designed for you personally, after all.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Consider it the small fee the game asks to you as a very reasonable compensation. Many other games don't even give you that opportunity.

"So, you want to skip the work the devs did because of reasons? That's very fine, we have a button for that, you'll just have to do a very quick mission to activate each arc and then click the skip button of each mission you wanna skip, nothing serious.
    What's that? That still isn't enough? Spending 3 minutes, the most of it spent to travel in sector space, to complete the mission, then keep clicking the existing skip buttons is still too annoying? You want a "skip all" button... Sorry, but like everything, there are limits to what you can take before someone tells you "how about you give a little, first?". Consider it the limit here."

If you read what I was asking for, It'd be dependant on becoming level 60, so I've certainly replayed a good share of the existing content on a new character to get there; never mind having played it ad nauseum on plenty of other characters. Also, what you are describing is broken; at least for me. It never seems to work this way for very long until I hit another one of those delightful "chunks." As for me giving, I have been playing this game for YEARS now, AND spent a fair amount of $$ supporting it. This is not entitlement (which you seem to be attempting to re-frame it as), but merely a suggestion which will hopefully improve the game.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Question: Why, on planet earth, would i want to replay ANY STO mission?

Unless you want to emphasize the "I" - in that case nobody can tell you - because some may consider some of the missions more fun to play than the 7,614th ISA or the 11,901st CCA?
    If you read what I was asking for, It'd be dependant on becoming level 60, so I've certainly replayed a good share of the existing content on a new character to get there

Unless you're like me and usually reach lvl 60 before playing any mission past the "get your trade ship call" one. That means on a Fed toon I haven't played more than one mission past tutorial. (I'll play them later though).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • bartimaeus#4158 bartimaeus Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, what did i tell you. Galaxy's NATO. If we can't buy it, bomb it. The sad thing is that STO goes to such extends to make us swallow it and accept it, producing "xenophobic" enemies (because xenophoby simply "happens") who just can't see how great and progressive and kind and good the Federation is. But someone in their camp is. It's just that the current leader does not. And he is evil. Very evil. And xenophobic. A lot. So, make him blatantly evil, to maniac levels, just enough to justify intervention to get rid of him and set up someone who will be... friendly and "open-minded" and will, pretty much, surrender to the good and venerable Federation.

But, if we remove all this, and look STO's story arc precisely as it is, we will see that the Federation and Starfleet have been involved in more attrocities and imperialism than any other state in the galaxy, and that includes the Dominion. Let's see what we have so far.

1) The Federation, a so-called egalitarian society, where everyone strives to better himself, a society where everyone provides according to his capabilities, and everyone receives according to his needs, and all that. Where peace and cooperation rules. Or so they say.
    2) The Klingon Empire, a... well... feudal state of the galaxy, with at least 3 social classes, exploitation and war-mongering.

The story goes like this:

1) The aforementioned Federation allows Ferengi businessmen to freely appropriate modes of production, conduct commercial production and extract surplus value, in a state that "supposedly" surpassed such barbarism.
    2) The Federation was quick to set up a Romulan protectorate, having a Federation puppet as head of state and recognized it as the only legitimate Romulan state on the galaxy. And then split it 50-50 with their "mortal enemy", the Klingon Empire.
    3) Federation's Section31 played kingmaker on Nimbus III, destroying a local Orion operation, plus a Romulan installation, and set up their own business there (unless someone thinks Hassan was something between Yakuza, Triad and the Russian mod, and those Nimbus III dwellers were poor and beautiful souls wishing to live free of fear.... yeah.... riiiiiight).
    ---on top of that, we learn that Starfleet officers got bribes, but ok... no biggie, apparently. Though, any other uniformed service that mildly respects itself would have court martialled that person.
    4) Blatantly thwarted any effort to undo the Hobus incident and (hopefully) bring Romulus back. Nope. The Romulans deserve to perish, and those "Republican" are now good employees.
    5) Allowed and supported Reman rebels to own WMDs. Nuff said.
    6) Disrupted and destroyed every possible research on Borg technology, regardless whether Starfleet does research on Borg.
    7) Began a war with the Voth, on account of Omega particles. Because if the Federation cannot control something, it must be destroyed. And, for Jefram Cochrane's sake, do not let ANYONE else control it. We dont want them to conduct any successful research and use it against us now, eh?
    8) Now, after the Undine and the Voth, the Federation is allied with its exact opposite. The Klingon Empire. Peaceful explorers together with war-mongering conquerors. Why? Here is why.
    9) This... tripartite alliance, leads a coalition of: Desecrators (Kobali), Scavenging Pirates (Kazon), Capitalists (Hierarchy), Mercenaries (Hazari), Hippies (Talaxians), Fascists (Benthans) to fight something like Klingons, only in the Delta Quadrant: The Vaadwaur, who more or less, are trying to survive. To this, they also instigate a movement, which the Federation hails as "revolution", which overthrows the current regime and sets up one friendly towards the Federation's interests.
    10) Decide a genocide upon the Iconian people, only to stop it at the last moment and end the war, regardless of the millions (if not billions) of lives lost.
    11) Bully half the galaxy into signing a "temporal agreement" much like the temporal prime directive, which is like the normal prime directive, which nobody really figured out what it is and what it means and Starfleet throws out the airlock every time it doesn't fit it's goals. And then, label everyone who disagrees a terrorist and hunt them down to extermination.

And i fear for what will happen with Lukari and Kentari.
    » show previous quotes

What's a blue/white bad guy?
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    keep in mind most of the "wars" in sto aren't really much of anything. and thats pretty much how starfleet work they devour territory under the banner of exporation and peaceful cooperation til the hit someone big enough to kick them in the teeth. than fight a war tell they get a treaty that give them enough territory. and when whoever the run into that can't kick em in the teeth. well how do you think federation space got to be so large.

Yeah, what did i tell you. Galaxy's NATO. If we can't buy it, bomb it. The sad thing is that STO goes to such extends to make us swallow it and accept it, producing "xenophobic" enemies (because xenophoby simply "happens") who just can't see how great and progressive and kind and good the Federation is. But someone in their camp is. It's just that the current leader does not. And he is evil. Very evil. And xenophobic. A lot. So, make him blatantly evil, to maniac levels, just enough to justify intervention to get rid of him and set up someone who will be... friendly and "open-minded" and will, pretty much, surrender to the good and venerable Federation.

But, if we remove all this, and look STO's story arc precisely as it is, we will see that the Federation and Starfleet have been involved in more attrocities and imperialism than any other state in the galaxy, and that includes the Dominion. Let's see what we have so far.

1) The Federation, a so-called egalitarian society, where everyone strives to better himself, a society where everyone provides according to his capabilities, and everyone receives according to his needs, and all that. Where peace and cooperation rules. Or so they say.
    2) The Klingon Empire, a... well... feudal state of the galaxy, with at least 3 social classes, exploitation and war-mongering.

1) The aforementioned Federation allows Ferengi businessmen to freely appropriate modes of production, conduct commercial production and extract surplus value, in a state that "supposedly" surpassed such barbarism.
    2) The Federation was quick to set up a Romulan protectorate, having a Federation puppet as head of state and recognized it as the only legitimate Romulan state on the galaxy. And then split it 50-50 with their "mortal enemy", the Klingon Empire.
    3) Federation's Section31 played kingmaker on Nimbus III, destroying a local Orion operation, plus a Romulan installation, and set up their own business there (unless someone thinks Hassan was something between Yakuza, Triad and the Russian mod, and those Nimbus III dwellers were poor and beautiful souls wishing to live free of fear.... yeah.... riiiiiight).
    ---on top of that, we learn that Starfleet officers got bribes, but ok... no biggie, apparently. Though, any other uniformed service that mildly respects itself would have court martialled that person.
    4) Blatantly thwarted any effort to undo the Hobus incident and (hopefully) bring Romulus back. Nope. The Romulans deserve to perish, and those "Republican" are now good employees.
    6) Disrupted and destroyed every possible research on Borg technology, regardless whether Starfleet does research on Borg.
    7) Began a war with the Voth, on account of Omega particles. Because if the Federation cannot control something, it must be destroyed. And, for Jefram Cochrane's sake, do not let ANYONE else control it. We dont want them to conduct any successful research and use it against us now, eh?
    8) Now, after the Undine and the Voth, the Federation is allied with its exact opposite. The Klingon Empire. Peaceful explorers together with war-mongering conquerors. Why? Here is why.
    9) This... tripartite alliance, leads a coalition of: Desecrators (Kobali), Scavenging Pirates (Kazon), Capitalists (Hierarchy), Mercenaries (Hazari), Hippies (Talaxians), Fascists (Benthans) to fight something like Klingons, only in the Delta Quadrant: The Vaadwaur, who more or less, are trying to survive. To this, they also instigate a movement, which the Federation hails as "revolution", which overthrows the current regime and sets up one friendly towards the Federation's interests.
    10) Decide a genocide upon the Iconian people, only to stop it at the last moment and end the war, regardless of the millions (if not billions) of lives lost.
    11) Bully half the galaxy into signing a "temporal agreement" much like the temporal prime directive, which is like the normal prime directive, which nobody really figured out what it is and what it means and Starfleet throws out the airlock every time it doesn't fit it's goals. And then, label everyone who disagrees a terrorist and hunt them down to extermination.

I've said it before if magic ever wants to do a white/blue bad guy group starfleet would be a great thing to base it on.

short version: card game magic the gathering divides everything to 5 colors(White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green), each being a elemental and philosophy alingment. white being light, law and order. blue being water, logic and reason. ignoring the rest. none of these are by definition good or evil. in case of a blue/whte it means very big on knowledge and doing what the rules say. i.e. if the rules say don't do X, you don't do X even if people die because it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    keep in mind most of the "wars" in sto aren't really much of anything. and thats pretty much how starfleet work they devour territory under the banner of exporation and peaceful cooperation til the hit someone big enough to kick them in the teeth. than fight a war tell they get a treaty that give them enough territory. and when whoever the run into that can't kick em in the teeth. well how do you think federation space got to be so large.

I've said it before if magic ever wants to do a white/blue bad guy group starfleet would be a great thing to base it on.

short version: card game magic the gathering divides everything to 5 colors(White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green), each being a elemental and philosophy alingment. white being light, law and order. blue being water, logic and reason. ignoring the rest. none of these are by definition good or evil. in case of a blue/whte it means very big on knowledge and doing what the rules say. i.e. if the rules say don't do X, you don't do X even if people die because it.

Ooooookay. That kinda makes sense.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Can I have the I win button that automatically kills all npc's within 100 km of my ship?
    Tza0PEl.png
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Can I have the I win button that automatically kills all npc's within 100 km of my ship?

FAW is out, or hadn't you heard?
    One can ascribe to beliefs he does not perfectly follow and not be a hypocrite. The Federation Ideal is loftier than its practice, but this gives them room to grow and goals to which they can aspire.

Look at the Borg, for example. Their stated goal is to seek perfection via assimilation of everything. Is this goal or the means used to achieve it ever subject to critical analysis? Is there ever in the Borg collective mind a doubt about the means they use, or of the actual potential of successfully achieving their goals? Meanwhile the Federation spends a great deal of time agonizing over the results of their Prime Directive.

It is not the destination, but the journey that counts. A life filled with the certainty that one has done right is a life unexamined. You go from A to B without traversing the intervening space. It's like reading the first and last chapter of a novel then assuming nothing happened in between.

The Prime Directive is a high ideal, and as such it is flawed. Refinement of that ideal comes from mistakes made and vigorous debate about its results. In time both the ideal and how it is implemented change, hopefully into more effective practices. As such, both the Federation and NATO have made mistakes. Hopefully they can learn from from their mistakes and evolve.

The Borg cannot do this because they perfectly adhere to their doctrine. They are not hypocrites, but I'm betting the average sophont would prefer a little less assurance on their part that their current method of imposing order on chaos is the best.
    Did you seriously, just right now, justify NATO?

Are you high?

The Federation is agonizing? The only thing the Federation is agonizing over is how to keep the rest of major powers in disadvantage. None of what you wrote appears on STO. There is no "prime directive" or whatever it was supposed to mean. The Federation does not "learn from mistakes". They defeat and enforce and set up little puppets friendly to them until they can annex. Doing the same thing all the time is not "learning from mistake", it's M.O. Simple as that.

Are you high?

The Federation is agonizing? The only thing the Federation is agonizing over is how to keep the rest of major powers in disadvantage. None of what you wrote appears on STO. There is no "prime directive" or whatever it was supposed to mean. The Federation does not "learn from mistakes". They defeat and enforce and set up little puppets friendly to them until they can annex. Doing the same thing all the time is not "learning from mistake", it's M.O. Simple as that.

Are you high?

You assert what you present as truth, then personally berate and belittle someone with whom you disagree, only to ultimately repeat an authorative but undemonstrated assertation. Your underlying assumption is the only evidence you have to support your accusation, and your accusation is your only evidence which supports your underlying assumption.

Neither of which brings us insight into my thesis that while the Prime Directive has evolved and has been abused during the run of Trek, it remains a lofty goal toward which the Federation aspires, not a chain of crimes to burden us eternally in the afterlife.
    Yeah, whatever.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    KzQzuL7.png

Ef5wR90.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    KzQzuL7.png

Ef5wR90.png

...are these images on topic?
    Tza0PEl.png