test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tier 6 Multimission Ships...are they NOT considered Science vessels?

Just ran the mirror event with my first of several characters. Romulan, in one of the appropriate faction Multimission ships. Couldn't help but notice that I was very SLOW to close the spatial rifts. I thought science ships were supposed to be able to close them faster. So despite all the science Boff stations, secondary deflector and sensor lock ability, are these NOT science ships? Or is this a bug with the event?

Comments

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    considering all the bugs in the game, it very well could be a bug. Or at the very least an oversight.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Historically my fed vesta has been quicker than non-sci ships.
  • Options
    accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    No. They are warbirds. The DD does powerup the relays any faster either. Basically we are boned...but it's okay because we are OP and can kill everything in seconds anyways.

LOL! Don't I wish. My toon isn't exactly at endgame, so I'm not exactly dishing out the punishment just yet. I just ran the event with one of my Fed characters, also in a Multi-mission explorer. I closed the rifts MUCH faster this time around.
  • Options
    Sci dread doing rifts quickly this year.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    My tier 6 Engineering Multi-mission for my Sci skipper had zero problems.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    > @talonxv said:
    > My tier 6 Engineering Multi-mission for my Sci skipper had zero problems.

Neither did my two Fed Science captains, also in the multi mission ships. It would seem that the issue is limited to the Romulan ship of the same class. As someone pointed out, because it's a WARBIRD, it's not considered a true science ship for the sake of this event.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The game has a very poor track record of telling players what actually counts as what, so I'm not at all surprised there's another instance of it.

It would be stupid if the romulan ships wouldn't count as "cruisers" or "science vessels" just because they're romulan (all romulan ships have "warbird" in the name), but who knows.
  • Options
    I thought that the sci ship designation applies to a ship with a secondary deflector, which then grants said ship subsystems targetting and sensor analysis. Sci variants of other classes don't get the secondary deflector and may or may not get one of the other two benefits.
  • Options
    > @postinggum said:
    > I thought that the sci ship designation applies to a ship with a secondary deflector, which then grants said ship subsystems targetting and sensor analysis. Sci variants of other classes don't get the secondary deflector and may or may not get one of the other two benefits.

I thought so too. This one has ALL of that. Secondary deflector, subsystem targeting, sensor lock. But it just doesn't close those rifts as fast as my Fed ships. And I'm not so sure about the OP part...I mean my Rom can hold her own in combat, but my Fed science ships, similarly equipped, would run circles around my Rom
  • Options
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > postinggum wrote: »
    >
    > I thought that the sci ship designation applies to a ship with a secondary deflector, which then grants said ship subsystems targetting and sensor analysis. Sci variants of other classes don't get the secondary deflector and may or may not get one of the other two benefits.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The 4 romulan sci ships have all those. However they are still classified as warbirds...not sci ships. It has to do with how the zen shop consoles are limited to romulan ships. You also forgot cmd sci boff slot as well. But yeah, rommies get a bit borked on these things.
    > accordvtec77 wrote: »
    >
    > I thought so too. This one has ALL of that. Secondary deflector, subsystem targeting, sensor lock. But it just doesn't close those rifts as fast as my Fed ships. And I'm not so sure about the OP part...I mean my Rom can hold her own in combat, but my Fed science ships, similarly equipped, would run circles around my Rom
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Learn to use battle cloak. With infiltrator, superior infiltrator, you have a 20 something second APA basically after each cloak. It's not about sustained DPS, it's about burst things to death in a couple seconds. Oh and you need good power management. That's the other hard part. That and needing some SRO...which gets pricey.

I could've rephrased my statement that my character seems weak. She's not. To be honest I'm not done fully building that character yet. I know what she'll be capable of combat-wise when she IS finished. But as far as this event goes, I guess I'm one of those that likes to be useful. A science Captain can close the rifts faster, which I can't do. I'll get over it.
  • Options
    > @kabutotokugawa said:
    > I'll test the Mirror event tonight with my Vesta and see how it goes.
    > You have me curious to see if this is a bug, or just an oversight.

It works fine with the Vesta. My two Fed science captains fly the Vesta. No problems closing the rifts quickly with those others.
  • Options
    > @kabutotokugawa said:
    > accordvtec77 wrote: »
    >
    > > @kabutotokugawa said:
    > > I'll test the Mirror event tonight with my Vesta and see how it goes.
    > > You have me curious to see if this is a bug, or just an oversight.
    >
    > It works fine with the Vesta. My two Fed science captains fly the Vesta. No problems closing the rifts quickly with those others.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh, I see, so is it just T-6 versions?

Specifically it's the Tier 6 Romulan variants that are problematic. I can't speak for the KDF variants, as I don't have one to test out.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Do Carriers count as science ships as far as the rifts are concerned?
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Do Carriers count as science ships as far as the rifts are concerned?

I imagine that would depend on if the carrier is completely science oriented (secondary deflector slot and all that jazz)
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I think my Romulan KT carrier closes portals faster.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I didn't notice any difference between closing rifts and activating power stations with my Jupiter carrier.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    Just ran the mirror event with my first of several characters. Romulan, in one of the appropriate faction Multimission ships. Couldn't help but notice that I was very SLOW to close the spatial rifts. I thought science ships were supposed to be able to close them faster. So despite all the science Boff stations, secondary deflector and sensor lock ability, are these NOT science ships? Or is this a bug with the event?

The career field of the captain affects what tasks occur faster. Engineers can reset the power stations faster and Science Captains can close anomalies faster. Tactical just have the inherent ability to "PEW...PEW...." It doesn't matter what type of ship your captain is in for the event.
  • Options
    avaerisavaeris Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    > @sentinel64 said:

> The career field of the captain affects what tasks occur faster. Engineers can reset the power stations faster and Science Captains can close anomalies faster. Tactical just have the inherent ability to "PEW...PEW...." It doesn't matter what type of ship your captain is in for the event.

This is incorrect. The ship type is what controls the ability to close rifts and activate the power stations. Captain class has nothing to do with it.

The dyson sci destroyer works well for roms closing rifts, regardless of whether I'm on my tac engi or sci.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Multimission warbirds definitely aren't recognized as sci ships, despite being sci ships. Think I've tried 2 variants now. Must be an oversight to be fixed if not soon then before next year's event.

Haven't tried their Gorn counterparts yet.

Sci carriers aren't science ships. They're carriers with a secondary science focus. My T'Laru does not close rifts any faster, nor should it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    What we need is a Science Carrier that launches Science Shuttles that do their own Science Magic.

As Commander Kor once said 'It would have been glorious'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Deltas and/or Runabouts?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Those are good but let's go all out and get ones that can throw out Tykens I or GW I at Elite Level, use exotic Torps, etc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns