test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Literary Challenge 35 Discussion Thread

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited May 2017 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial Literary Challenge #35: "Rhyme Directive".

As usual, be honest and polite.
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• Options
    F*cking forum ate the thread. @ambassadorkael#6946, would you please either fix or remove the stupid thread filter.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Okay, since the forum is being sh*tty as usual, the prompts were "Prime Directive", "Welcome to the Epsilon Fringe", and "Showtime" (the latter two are on page one of the suggestion thread).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Nice prompts. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Not sure what's been with the filtering software - interesting prompts!
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    > @antonine3258 said:
    > Not sure what's been with the filtering software - interesting prompts!

Probably the number of links is tripping the spam filter. The entry list is getting a little unwieldy anyway, maybe I should just link to ULC 30 and up and instruct people to click that one for the earlier entries.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited May 2017
    "Shortest War Ever"

Cast:
    • Crew of USS Bajor:
      • Captain Kanril Eleya, commanding officer: Jennifer Hale
      • Commander Tesjha Phohl, first officer and tactical officer: Claudia Black
      • Commander Birail Riyannis, chief science officer: Ursula Abbott
      • Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra, operations officer: Adam Baldwin
      • Lieutenant Dul'krah, Clan Korekh, chief of security: Idris Elba
      • Lieutenant (JG) Arak Esplin, communications officer: Robyn Kramer
      • Lieutenant Commander Quataris sh'Thash, chief of cultural anthropology: Angela Gots
      • Cryptologic Technician, Second Class Martin Karlsson: A.J. Buckley
    • Volante (23 Librae II)*, Confederation of Samar/Alliance for Global Unity:
      • Va'kreht, Secretary-General of the Alliance for Global Unity: Carmine Giovinazzo
      • Kar'tan, Secretary of Intelligence Affairs: Sonequa Martin-Green
      • General Ter'graf, Royal Samarian Army: Brian Blessed
      • Royal Lord Admiral Rek'nar, Royal Samarian Army: Tony Todd
    • Admiral Eric Ayokunle Velasquez Castillo, Starfleet Command: Miguel A. Nunez

* IRL 23 Librae has a couple of planets, but the one in the habitable zone is a hot Jupiter. I invented a Class M second planet for this story.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Nifty, starsword; sort of curiousif there's a part 3, there's so many consequences either way, and the button's already been pushed.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    Nifty, starsword; sort of curiousif there's a part 3, there's so many consequences either way, and the button's already been pushed.

Technically it would just be a part two: I wrote it as one story but split it due to the character​ limit. But no, I didn't have one planned initially because I figured that just about everything in terms of pro-con arguments was covered here (though at the end of the day, I freely admit Eleya made mostly an emotional decision about what she felt she could live with). But you're the second person to suggest that (I crossposted this on AlternateHistory.com). The basic problem is, obviously there's going to be hell to pay, both on-planet and off, but I'm not sure what form it would take or how to write it while avoiding strawmen. On-planet, I'd probably want to just revisit the Sabek every so often, but for the offworld consequences...
    See, the issue is the basic conclusion is dictated by a story I wrote a couple months ago: Eleya gets off and the Sabek are eventually​ admitted into the Federation, per the story from Eleya's great-granddaughter's POV. But because I didn't feel comfortable with what usually happens in the shows where a big PD violation is pretty much passed over and they move on to the next episode, we get her at least facing a board. What the other guy suggested was the board, likely becoming a full court-martial, turns into a big, politicized showdown between the "explorers, not soldiers" faction(s) in Starfleet, and the "soldiers and protectors first, then explorers" grouping typified by Eleya, ending with a big reevaluation of how the PD is supposed to work. Which kind of ties into the whole redshirt/blueshirt rivalry I've alluded to repeatedly.

Trouble is, I worry about taking a high concept like that and completely flubbing the execution. Still, I can see a bit of an opening scene in my head:
    I reach into my desk and toss something to Tess. She catches it and her eyes widen at the square of silver. "My last official act, before Admiral Rader gets here. I'm field-promoting you to the rank of acting captain, effective immediately."

She shakes her head and puts it back on my desk. "Respectfully, Captain, I can't accept this. Look, the board'll rule in your favor--"

"I can't take that chance, my friend." I stroke the bulkhead, one last time. "And I'm not the captain anymore. You are."

Tess's lips tighten, but she picks the pip back up and affixes it to her collar, then affixes me with a piercing grey-eyed glare. "I'm taking this with a promise, Eleya. I'll be keeping center chair warm for you, so you had damn well better come back."
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    damzelltrilldamzelltrill Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    Ish... as there is no discussion thread that I can find for earlier prompts, I wish to say writing a good The Kobayashi Maru story is harder then I thought.
    A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
    "Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
  • Options
    > @damzelltrill said:
    > Ish... as there is no discussion thread that I can find for earlier prompts, I wish to say writing a good The Kobayashi Maru story is harder then I thought.

You could use the most recent redux thread if you want.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    damzelltrilldamzelltrill Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    plan to Star.

-head shake- I think my idea is nuts; I put the cadet in command of the Maru. but like my temporal said to the instructor; I already did a no win for real.
    A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
    "Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    hawku001x wrote: »
    This tweet from yesterday is kind of like the first prompt.

I think my feelings here are pretty well-known. I generally think of the Prime Directive in two cases that depend on whether the planetary population (a better term to use than "species" or "culture" given the application) in question is warp-capable. And the correct course of action requires critical thinking, not blind dogmatism (*cough* Janeway *cough* Archer *cough cough, reaches for Robitussin*).
    • If prewarp, refer to the TOS version of the PD, as conceived by Gene L. Coon: do not interfere with the natural development of a viable pre-warp population. Your default is to observe and document: do not be seen, do not make contact in any way, and by God do not tamper with their governance ("Patterns of Force"). But if the population is provably facing imminent extinction, you have a moral obligation to prevent it.
    • If warp-capable, things get complicated. Here more than anything else I view the PD as a safeguard against imperialism. You can make contact, negotiate, trade, but do not take military action unless all other avenues for resolving a conflict have been exhausted, and do not get involved in internal affairs unless one or more conditions are true: your intervention is requested by one or more parties, there are humanitarian concerns, or the events present an imminent, provable danger to the security of the Federation or its allies.

For an example of a good way and place to break the Prime Directive, see the Klingon Civil War in TNG. Picard receives a request to intervene on Gowron's side, but there's a few problems: even if Picard intervened as Arbiter of Succession, he's still a Starfleet officer and would need authorization from up the chain of command, and given Klingon psychology, any intervention by the Federation could be taken to mean that Gowron obviously is too weak to win on his own, and therefore is too weak to rule the Empire. So even with the request, the stability of the Federation's biggest neighbor and closest ally means they probably shouldn't. But then we learn the Romulans did intervene because realpolitik, so Picard chooses to counteract them. The Federation gets to look good to outsiders for defending its allies, while looking good to its citizens for not getting directly involved in the Klingons' internal affairs, and meanwhile the odds are evened for Gowron. Everybody wins... except for Duras, he kinda gets it in the shorts since obviously if he needed Romulan help he's too weak to rule the Empire. :tongue:

On the other hand, there's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges", where Admiral Ross and Section 31 orchestrate the frame-up of a friendly Romulan senator for treason. Sure, improving the position of their intelligence mole helps Federation security but it's done based on something that might happen: Senator Cretak possibly changing her mind and trying to pull the Romulans out of the alliance, not something that is actually going to happen. This is one where you do follow the Prime Directive: the danger is there as a possibility (the Romulans leaving the alliance probably means the Alpha Quadrant is lost), but it is not an imminent probability (even if she wanted to, Cretak cannot get them out of the war all by her lonesome: the Romulan government is a representative democracy, after a fashion, and the revenge motive is quite a strong one for the Romulans).

The issue more than anything else in my story:
    Eleya didn't intervene through nonlethal means to stop a natural disaster, she launched an orbital bombardment and airstrikes to block a self-inflicted nuclear holocaust. And besides the Prime Directive, she fired on assets of neutral (to the Federation) powers without orders or imminent threat to her ship. A bridge too far, as it were.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Sounds good to me. Critical thinking is key. I guess, by your first point, Kirk from Into Darkness did the right thing by trying to save the Nibiru, and Starfleet is in the wrong for allowing civilizations to die.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Critical thinking is key. I guess, by your first point, Kirk from Into Darkness did the right thing by trying to save the Nibiru, and Starfleet is in the wrong for allowing civilizations to die.
    Ehhh.

The issue with Nibiru, to my mind, isn't so much that Kirk broke the Prime Directive to save the species. If it was just that, he probably would've just been chewed out and sent back to work. The real problem to me is that A, Kirk let his ship be seen due to incompetence (WTF are you doing parking your ship underwater? If the transporter can get into the volcano from directly overhead, then just beam the ice machine in from orbit and go home), and then B, lied about it in his report, poorly.

(Of course, this is entirely separate from the absurd notion that the volcanic eruption would kill off the entire species -- the volcano shown plain isn't big enough to cause that kind of damage, compared to the Yellowstone supervolcano that is believed to have nearly killed off humanity in its infancy -- but then nobody ever accused J.J. Abrams of having a good sense of scale. And if that village is the entire species, then the species probably is probably well on its way to extinction due to inbreeding anyway.)
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Ok, so does anyone else want to post the ULC today? Because otherwise it'll have to wait until this evening when I get home.

EDIT: Make that tomorrow evening.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Kathryn having dinner with friends and they are sharing fun stories ... or are they?

Whew! Gads I did not enjoy writing this one, but I did ... does that make sense? Anything with the PD is challenging even if it's reasonably straight forward to me.

The setting has been used before, but it helps keep the piece short. I hope you enjoy!

---
    Cast For Crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Matthew Calgar - Conleth Hill
    Grannon Trex - Orlando Jones
    Tracy Maxwell Kent - Monica Belluci
  • Options
    Kathryn having dinner with friends and they are sharing fun stories ... or are they?

Whew! Gads I did not enjoy writing this one, but I did ... does that make sense? Anything with the PD is challenging even if it's reasonably straight forward to me.

The setting has been used before, but it helps keep the piece short. I hope you enjoy!

---
    Cast For Crew:

I really enjoyed that, Scarlet, it was an interesting solution and not one my typical style of character would have thought of. It probably satisfies the Coon variation of the Prime Directive, too: they're pre-warp but not viable (given how they're about to wipe each other out), and Kathryn intervened covertly.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

---
    Cast For Crew:

I don't think anyone would argue that as a covert intervention; I'm wondering about a what-if for a timeline where the Vulcans intervened in World War 3 on Earth and what might result with the humans (probably being junior partners to the Andorians, is my snap assumption)

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Thank you for reading!

@starswordc - Coon's version is how I have always interpreted the PD without further thought. My entry was heavily influenced by your discission above and it helped create the scenario.

Which leads to antonine's question, which I (hopefully expertly) dodged by suggesting Kathryn's failure to stop a catastrophe resulted in her beating feet from the system to avoid issues with the PD. Clearly, she is still affected by the aftermath of her decision. I think her choice was based on emotions the Vulcans would not have been prejudiced to. Still, the what-if would be interesting to explore by brighter minds than me ^_^
  • Options
    Thank you for reading!

@starswordc - Coon's version is how I have always interpreted the PD without further thought. My entry was heavily influenced by your discission above and it helped create the scenario.

Which leads to antonine's question, which I (hopefully expertly) dodged by suggesting Kathryn's failure to stop a catastrophe resulted in her beating feet from the system to avoid issues with the PD. Clearly, she is still affected by the aftermath of her decision. I think her choice was based on emotions the Vulcans would not have been prejudiced to. Still, the what-if would be interesting to explore by brighter minds than me ^_^

Oh, definitely affected, just as a well handled 'hidden' intervention would be the best in the Vulcan blend of logic and compassion, even if it doesn't work, but it inspired my thoughts on the other direction

• Options
    xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    May I join this one? I've a story planned for my main character.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
  • Options
    xungnguyen wrote: »
    May I join this one? I've a story planned for my main character.

Go ahead, literary challenge threads are open forever.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png