test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forgive my ignorance...what's the deal with Kurland?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
I've been playing since the second anniversary/FTP, but I've never figured out why Kurland is so popular, or what is the joke with him? In "Midnight", when he said "Kurland here-" I saw on the forums how a lot of folks thought it was awesome. And then just today on a new thread someone referenced "another Kurland here moment". But I don't get it...did I miss something from the first two years?
anigif_enhanced-5103-1452814817-12_preview.gif

C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    I've been playing since the second anniversary/FTP, but I've never figured out why Kurland is so popular, or what is the joke with him? In "Midnight", when he said "Kurland here-" I saw on the forums how a lot of folks thought it was awesome. But I don't get it...did I miss something from the first two years?

He's basically a joke. Everyone found it annoyingly funny when he kept interrupting the player with dialogue boxes during the mission; Boldly they Rode.

"This is Kurland"
    "Kurland here, come in"

So as a little homage to this funny yet annoying character cryptic added a little voice over during Midnight. I thought it was pretty funny myself.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I've been playing since the second anniversary/FTP, but I've never figured out why Kurland is so popular, or what is the joke with him? In "Midnight", when he said "Kurland here-" I saw on the forums how a lot of folks thought it was awesome. But I don't get it...did I miss something from the first two years?

He's basically a joke. Everyone found it annoyingly funny when he kept interrupting the player with dialogue boxes during the mission; Boldly they Rode.

"This is Kurland"
    "Kurland here, come in"

So as a little homage to this funny yet annoying character cryptic added a little voice over during Midnight. I thought it was pretty funny myself.

Was this during a "2800" episode? It's been so long since I played those...

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

"This is Kurland"
    "Kurland here, come in"

Yeah it's now under the Cardassian struggle tab on the updated mission log.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options

"This is Kurland"
    "Kurland here, come in"

Yeah it's now under the Cardassian struggle tab on the updated mission log.

LOL I just realized you had already said "Boldly They Rode". Thanks! At least that gives me some context.

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    "Kurland here" is funny because it's all he ever says. :D
  • Options
    sparda100981sparda100981 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    And especially after he asks you to maintain radio silence during the mission (Boldy They Rode) as not to be detected by the Jem'Hadar, and then proceeds to hail you no less than 17 times during the first part of the mission with "Kurland Here" "This is Kurland" etc etc every few seconds lol
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Kurland's also the epitomy of incompetence. He lost DS9 to the Undine, the Mirror Universe and to the Dominion. And he let his first officer getting slaughtered while he fled the station to get to safety. And as has been mentioned he's probably the most annoying mission contact in the history of STO.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    And mostly because is here!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Everybody (secretly) loves Kurland. ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    +Wesley Crusher and Tovan
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    You know I played those missions a lot for the Jem H'addar set and I am up to replaying it because I am leveling some new alts. While the space walk is a little tedious Kurland is a relaxing factor. Ah, good old Kurland is here. Now, everything will go fine.
    He looks to me as the guy that is really not in control but doing his best. His wife has probably an affair. His kids do not well on school and now he has to deal with a thirty year old war. He, Karukan and the Vorta makes these mission classic.
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    +Wesley Crusher and Tovan

It's no secret.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I am hereby founding the "Kurland is an OK guy society". I like him. He may be in over his head, but aren't we all sometimes?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The character itself isn't supposed to be funny/annoying, but because of the way the dialog was handled and due to the laziness to even add full dialog to the character it ended up being annoying/funny.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I had no idea what the deal was with Kurland for the longest time. I happen to be running 64bit Realtek audio, which for most of this games like meant playing without sound. Never saw it in any patch notes but a while back they finally fixed it, I got to play with sound and "Boldly They Rode" just happened to be one of the missions my newest toon was at.

Running that mission once, with sound, anyone will understand what the deal is with Kurland :)
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Kurland could be the new scary supernatural serial killer of the new tens:

A group of Alliance officers are trapped on DS9 as someone or something is killing everybody onboard one by one. The last thing they hear before dying horribly is their combadge beeping and a "Kurland here".
    "He's always HERE!
    KURLAND
    Coming soon (tm) here"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    A little tidbit some might not know, Kurland is voiced by the dev, Jeremy "Borticus" Randall.
    It was recorded awhile ago, and I might be wrong, but I thing some acting requirement has changed since.
    He can't do new stuff without a membership or something, so cryptic ether leaves it as is or recasts him.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Probably the same union membership issue that forced Leius Selan into the back ranks?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Kurland is STO's Clippy.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Reddit quote:
    "Kurland Here" is an exciting new MMO from Cryptic Studios where you play as a Starfleet graduate stuck outside Deep Space Nine in the slowest space-walking suit ever, and must inch your way around the space station while a balding man with a bad comb-over radios to you every 3 seconds that he's watching and listening to you as your air runs out.

And that's after he calls for 'radio silence'.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    BTW voice acting. What do you think about Noye in the Future Proof series. He sounds like an actor in a TV show for very young persons. It is overacting and it is bad but in a way it becomes funny.

Gaul in the Delta series is great. Imo the best, together with Hakeev od course.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »
    BTW voice acting. What do you think about Noye in the Future Proof series. He sounds like an actor in a TV show for very young persons. It is overacting and it is bad but in a way it becomes funny.

Gaul in the Delta series is great. Imo the best, together with Hakeev od course.

There's quite a lot of overacting in STO. Admiral Quinn sounds more like a kid who's exploring a theme park for the first time than an old, experienced, battle-hardened Starfleet officer. The acting doesn't fit at all.

I like Gaul's, Hakeev's, Obisek's, Neelix' and Tuvok's voice overs. Those are fantastic.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    If you consider that Star Trek itself (TOS) starred the world's most over the top over actor, having over acting in the voice overs in STO seems quite fitting. Although having most of them reading their lines at about half the speed of a "real" conversation is way too much for me.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, Captain Tom Paris gives him a run for his money in 'Delta Flight' as you try to navigate those 33 or so rings. Constant interruptions if you don't make it through a ring in the allotted time. Those actually stop you if I remember correctly. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Let's us not forget the Voice Acting in What Lies Beneath. Best in the whole game.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Let's us not forget the Voice Acting in What Lies Beneath. Best in the whole game.

Tbh i liked mr bonnie-kin what cryptic should do is update it and ask tony todd to do the VA and channel a little of the candyman into it, that would make that mission superb.
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User

Tbh i liked mr bonnie-kin what cryptic should do is update it and ask tony todd to do the VA and channel a little of the candyman into it, that would make that mission superb.

"Bonnie-kin, Booooonie kiin"
    "Kurland here, stop using my pet name, we split up a long time ago"
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    luddimus wrote: »

"Bonnie-kin, Booooonie kiin"
    "Kurland here, stop using my pet name, we split up a long time ago"

ROFL!! you sir win the thread :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Well at at least we get to shoot "bonnie-kins" in the end, which is more than I can say of Kurland.