test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help!! Lvl 55 and dying too fast.

m311m311 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
I'm dying super fast on ground especially on lvl 35 missions.
I have like tier XI gears, but barely any purple. This is normal mode. Is there anyway to reduce the damage?

I'm a tactician captain with no healing abilites.
Post edited by m311 on

Comments

• Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    You need to provide more information. What type of captain do you have? What are you using for ground boffs? What gear, weapons and kits are you using? Same question for your boffs?

Asking as I have a level 54 Tac Captain and no issues with ground. Using gear and weapons, blue and green between mark IX to XI. Tac, 2 Sci and Eng for boffs, using default kits they came with, just to see how difficult ground is without tweaking kits, etc. Not finding it difficult at all.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    On ground? There is a way to beef up your healing.

1 engineering boff (med gen/shield gen/mortar/mines)
    1 science (fill with healing abilities)
    2 tacs

Between the science and engineer you'll get extra healing outside of the hypos you carry. The engie with mines and mortars will blow lots of things up quick. That's how I blew through ground battles when leveling my last engineer. Works great for my tacs to.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    use traits and doffs onyou ground stuff also buy hypo spray for heal is really hard this days see someone die on ground missions add a sci boff to you away team a a eng boff
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    You need to provide more information. What type of captain do you have? What are you using for ground boffs? What gear, weapons and kits are you using? Same question for your boffs?

Asking as I have a level 54 Tac Captain and no issues with ground. Using gear and weapons, blue and green between mark IX to XI. Tac, 2 Sci and Eng for boffs, using default kits they came with, just to see how difficult ground is without tweaking kits, etc. Not finding it difficult at all.

I'm Tac captain. I got like 1 tac, two enginneer and a science
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Personally, I usually use 1 science officer on the ground (trained to be a doctor with Medical Tricorder and Vascular Regenerator), 1 engineer trained for both healing (shields and, via medical generator, hitpoints), some debuff (weapons malfunction) and a support drone (some extra firepower). As a tac officer, the remaining two spots I use for tactical officers with damage-increasing powers.

That's generally how I go on any of my captain's away teams: 2 tac, 1 engineer (turret & generators), 1 sci-doctor
    Though having a full crew of engineers with generators, 4 turrets, 4 minefields and 4 mortars can be quite fun.

• Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The game doesn't always scale well in terms of difficulty when you're a much higher level than the lower level missions you might play. There's a few in particular where it's noticeable. Having said that, you really shouldn't be having too much trouble. You don't need super gear or anything.

What about your traits? Have you picked traits that might boost hit points, resistances, shields etc if you're having trouble surviving? What about your skill tree. Have you done anything there? On this page, after the space stuff, they list a recommended ground allocation that lots of people use https://www.sto-league.com/skilltree-suggestion/

At 55 you should be getting your reps and spec trees going. Have you got any of those passive traits yet? Any active ones you can slot to help survivability? Gear is just a small part of the equation in this game. There are many, many passive boosts for survivability from traits, skill tree, rep traits, spec trees etc.

Having seen your other posts, I feel like you're leveling far too fast. Usually at this point people would have got some fleet gear like shields, armor, weapons etc which are better than just the standard stuff. I'd also recommend you work on getting the Omega set from the Omega rep. It's a good all round ground set and particularly useful for running the defera ground battlezone.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    If you are out-leveling your gear, have your Doffs do the Experimental Pistol/Rifle/Shield/etc missions. They occasionally will give you a sweet weapon/shield/armor for no cost. Or go find one of the story missions that gives a decent weapon. The rewards are of your level, so you can go back and replay them and get the higher Mk version of it. Or if you have EC, there are plenty of decent weapons/etc there that have the less sought after buffs for cheap.
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Here are a couple of suggestions for extra survivability and ground team strength.
    1. Get a full set of 4 Engineer bridge officers with Your Choice / Shield or Health Regenerator / Quantum or Photon Mortar / Turret Rank 3. This is the key to increasing your survival rate and strength by a significant amount.
    2. Give your BOFFs long range AOE weapons such as Split Rifles, Miniguns or the Romulan Plasma Wide Beam Rifle. This will reduce their amount of closing in on targets and getting themselves killed, and significant killing rate thanks to the AOE secondary firing mode.
    3. Either get yourself the Delta Expedition kit holder (CritH or CritD) or the Herald kit holder (with a specific energy type damage) and your choice of modifiers. Though I highly recommend going for Kit Performance primarily and then whatever you decide.

You can then get DOFFs to increase the amount of shield/health, mortars and turret fabrications that they may spawn. As for yourself, you can use whatever weapons you like and in particular if your team can handle themselves. But if you still need that you must contribute to your team, then any split rifle will help you. There is the Dyson Split rifle or the Romulan Wide Beam rifle. But even the Lobi Herald staff and the Jemhadar minigun will aid you greatly over single target weapons.

I hope this helped a little bit.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Double check to make sure you spent all your skill points.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Have you done any reputations? They give extremely good gear to level with.

Make sure the game hasn't played Trait Roulette (where everything is reset).

Go to your engineering DOFF screen to gamble on a good upgrade.

Slot your engineer BOFF with shield and healing totems.

Let your BOFFs handle some mobs. Don't try to get aggro on every mob.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I would say get 4 science BOffs and make them all healers. Tachyon Harmonic 1, Medical Tricorder 2, Vascular Regenerator 2, and Nanite Health Monitor 1. With four BOffs set up in this way, it should be almost impossible for you (or them) to die. The reason I would not recommend using 4 engineering BOffs is because the only way they can do decent healing is with generators, and some enemies in the later missions have area of effect insta-kill abilities that will kill your BOffs and their fabrications, then you.

As you gradually get better, by finding ways to keep yourself alive without assistance, you should switch one to an engineering BOff and another to a tactical BOff. This will help make you team more well rounded once you've figured things out.

Also, there is a tactical kit module which gives a half-decent health heal, called Rally Cry. I put that on all my tactical captains.

To reiterate some good points that others have mentioned above me:
    • Make sure you're doing your reputations, since they will give you some half-decent/decent/good weapons (depends on the reputation) for each daily/hourly project you start.
    • As someone mentioned, there are DOff missions that will craft weapons/shields/armor for essentially free. While they usually aren't the best (random modifiers), if you're having trouble gearing up your BOffs (or yourself), they can be a good temporary solution.
    • Make sure to slot traits that increase your maximum hit-points, give resists, etc. if that's what you're having trouble with.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    One other trick, use terrain to your advantage. If you have a room full of badies don't go charging in. Station the boffs outside with generators/mortars/mines at the ready and just shoot one guy in the room before ducking out to join your boffs. This way all the bad guys will bunch up at a corner/door for mines/mortars to hit the whole group better.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    1. Check to see if you allocated your captain points into your ground skills.
    2. Promote your Boffs to Commander if you have not done so.
    3a. If you do not have Mk XII armor or shields by now, then buy them from the Exchange. Rare quality will be good enough and pretty inexpensive.
    3b. If you free armor, then replay "The Core of the Matter" in the Yesterday's War story arc. The Neutronium-Laced Combat Armor Mk XII is pretty good.
    4. Buy Mk XII weapons from the Exchange if you do not have any. At level 55 you should have them though. Rare quality Mk XII weapons will be fine if you cannot afford very rare weapons.
    5. Train your Boffs with abilities that will help you stay alive or allows your team to do more damage.
    6. Make sure you use your kit modules during combat. What kits modules you should have depends on your captain's career.

It's all a matter of practice. Just get some good gear and play ground missions / story missions with ground combat.

On my secondary F2P only account, my max level tactical captain have no problems playing Brotherhood of the Sword Elite (BotSE) without much problems using the above mentioned Neutronium-Laced Combat Armor Mk XII (all of my Boff have this armor) and a very rare Plasma Split Beam Rifle Mk XII [CrtiD] [CrtH] [Dmg]. Granted, BotSE is not one of the more difficult elite STF missions, but enemies can hit hard.

My max level AoY Captain has not progressed very far into the story missions; only got as far as the Romulan Mystery. Otherwise, everyone would have the Na'kuhl Temporal Operative Armor and Temporal Operative Shield. They are rewards from "The Temporal Front" in the Future Proof mission. However, if you are having problems with ground combat, then this level 60 story mission will definitely be difficult for you because the Na'kuhl uses snipers. However, the armor and shield are the best free ones that the game offers. They actually rival some reputation armor and shields.

Kit's for a tactical captain depends on personal preference. There are a decent number of kit modules you can purchase from the Exchange, but they can be expensive. My AoY captain has the following kit modules:
    - Plasma Grenade XI
    - Battle Strategies XII
    - Micro Cryonic Warhead Mk XII - From the Winter Event
    - Overwatch Mk XIII
    - Mass Gravimetric Detonation - A universal kit module that any captain career can use. These generally sell for around 400k to 800k EC on the Exchange. Prices vary, I purchased mine for less than 100k EC. This causes AoE damage, but it takes 4 seconds before detonation starts so enemies can run out of the 3 random blast radius that spawns.

Rally Cry is a pretty good kit module for tactical captains who wants something that can heal them. All tactical captains should carry a decent supply of Large Hypos and Large Shield Charges. I also recommend purchasing a Tribble (ric) which gives +1.5% to damage and damage resistance for 1 hour. Or the more expensive Kelvin Timeline Tribble which does the same thing as the Tribble (ric), but with a 2% bonus. I remember when these sold for between 10k to 15k EC... not anymore. Good thing I bought them en mass for all my non-Klingon captains and all my non-Klingon Boffs in my primary and secondary STO accounts when they were cheap. Tribbles do not like Klingons (Fed or KDF factions) so they do not get buffed by Tribbles. The exceptions are Tribbles purchased from the C-Store and the Winter Tribble (bred during the Winter Event) and the Risian / Lohlunat Tribbles (bred on Risa for the Summer Event).
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Keep moving, and make sure you... exploit the exposes... Space out your BO's, and use Cover.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Double check to make sure you spent all your skill points.

^this
    also crouch, aim, make sure your sci boff have healing skills slotted and/or engi have a medical generator. Hell, use hypos too if you want.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    m311 wrote: »
    I have like tier XI gears, but barely any purple. This is normal mode. Is there anyway to reduce the damage?

Level 35, that puts you against Romulans (30-34) or Cardassians (35+).
    Romulans use plasma based weapons so a cheap armor from the exchange. Best option is either energy dampening or energy harness.

Cardassians use disruptor weapons, but the biggest problem is usually the grenades they throw. Make sure you avoid those.

A cheap personal shield from the exchange with [pla] or [dis] should suffice. If you can find a cheap one with [ene] on top of that you're solid.

Tactical characters hit like a truck, but usually have poor survival. Make sure you carry hypos, power cells and shield charges and have those ready for use.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Consumable/Non-food#Standard_ground_consumables
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    Keep moving, and make sure you... exploit the exposes...
    This can be as simple as giving your Boffs a mix of exploit and expose weapons.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    3b. If you free armor, then replay "The Core of the Matter" in the Yesterday's War story arc. The Neutronium-Laced Combat Armor Mk XII is pretty good.
    Two more that are really good are the Jemhadar armor from the 2800 FE series, and the RIN armor from Uneasy Allies.
    4. Buy Mk XII weapons from the Exchange if you do not have any. At level 55 you should have them though. Rare quality Mk XII weapons will be fine if you cannot afford very rare weapons.
    this isn't necessary if you have random junk weapons you got out of those boxes you get for filling rep projects.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    questerius wrote: »
    m311 wrote: »

Level 35, that puts you against Romulans (30-34) or Cardassians (35+).
    Romulans use plasma based weapons so a cheap armor from the exchange. Best option is either energy dampening or energy harness.

Cardassians use disruptor weapons, but the biggest problem is usually the grenades they throw. Make sure you avoid those.

A cheap personal shield from the exchange with [pla] or [dis] should suffice. If you can find a cheap one with [ene] on top of that you're solid.

Tactical characters hit like a truck, but usually have poor survival. Make sure you carry hypos, power cells and shield charges and have those ready for use.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Consumable/Non-food#Standard_ground_consumables

Thanks, that explains it more. I'm doing Cardassians and I'm surviving fine. But Romulan Mystery they do like over 100+ damage per shot on Normal. I can't even kill a single Romulan in groups of 3-4 without dying. I managed to finish Roman Mystery by dying a lot on certain missions.