test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crashes and gives DXGI_Device_Removed Error

kevinmarf87kevinmarf87 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited February 2017 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Since the October graphics update I have been unable to play more than a few minutes without the game crashing and getting a Direct 3D Fatal Error (DXGI_Device_Removed)
I'm using an HP Pavillion g6 Laptop
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics (Pentium), Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter RAM (1,414,602,752) bytes
Installed Drivers igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (8.15.10.2993, 11.74 MB (12,312,928 bytes), 2/19/2013 1:44 PM)
Any suggestions? Support just says to reinstall and check settings, which I have done and settings are at the lowest. I don't have resources to get a new computer and love this game.

Thanks
Post edited by kevinmarf87 on

Comments

• Options
    thecrusher#6644 thecrusher Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    The problem is actually your graphics hardware and the fact that you're using a laptop.

Here are the recommended settings for your hardware that is very basic and will NOT properly support lighting 2.0 without overheating your system, and causing serious graphics lag and CPU overruns because "Ambient Occlusion" is the feature required and used by Lighting 2.0 that is a High Graphic's Bandwidth graphic's engine requiring a minimum of 2GB's of unshared Video Memory to operate smoothly. Laptop manufacturers often embellish the memory specifications by not clearly listing the different types of memory, how much of each different type of memory there is present on the system, and also how much of that memory is shared.

For example;

You may be able to go into your BIOS and increase the amount of graphics memory, but...

1 - Let's says you've 4G/B's RAM on your laptop....

2 - Let's say the BIOS Default for Graphics Memory is 32M/B (this is an average default setting....

3 - Under the Default settings your actual memory count would be;

RAM = (Following is non-metric, scientific measurement using 8 byte standard formula)
    4,063,232M/B ( a.k.a. per ISO Unix Metric ,3,968M/B or 3.96GB RAM per rounding)

Graphics Memory = 32M/B taken from the initial total RAM count of 4,096,000M/B or 4G/B RAM
    (Above is non-metric, scientific measurement using 8 byte standard formula)

I hope the above information helps you understand computer memory more, and assists you in purchasing a newer laptop that can operate STO much more smoothly for you. I would suggest getting a CTO (Custom to Order) system from one of the major manufacturers that has an integrated nVidia Graphics Chipset that is not interpreted by the major Operating Systems as using shared memory.

Unfortunately, these types of misunderstandings of how to list memory are prevalent in the computer industry at this time because many of those that write the ads and specs are not actual tech writers with any engineering background, but are rather marketing and sales persons that have no training in computer products whatsoever, and to make matters worse, are often not well trained or versed in Western Languages such as English, Spanish, French, etc. ; thusly causing even more challenges in writing effective general specification listings because of the significant language barriers many of the cultures that are often used for outsourcing suffer through to everyone's mutual inconvenience. In short, more training for those writing ads, specs, etc, must be provided in the industry in general in order for anyone to be qualified to write general specs for advertising purposes, and some engineering knowledge is a basic requirement for anyone writing any documentation within the computer industry to ensure information is properly represented with the appropriate level of detail to communicate effectively.

Please note; I'm NOT going to provide any support for your system in order to do things like modify your BIOS, and for that I suggest you contact your system manufacturer's support; however I'm happy to provide you with recommended in-game settings that should alleviate most of the sluggishness you're experiencing with graphics.

Now onto some of those in-game settings that should help you get your game moving much more smoothly;

A; DISPLAY TAB:

1 - Go to your Display Tab in settings... I've included a screen shot so you can find it easily, but it's Google Drive, and not going to display on the forum itself, but you can always open the link in a separate tab...

drive.google.com/file/d/0B05TdGxIiMi9ODRxX2Y4MlE2LTQ/view

2 - First select MSAA 2x and click "Apply"

B; GRAPHICS TAB:

3 - In your Graphics Tab look for Lighting 2.0, and select "Off"

Again I've included a screen shot for you;

drive.google.com/file/d/0B05TdGxIiMi9Q0w0QUFVSFZaR3M/view

4 - Click "Apply" and then "OK"

5 - Restart the game.

C; DISPLAY TAB:

1 - Go back to your Display Tab and make sure DirectX 10 of lower is selected for your hardware.

2 - Click "Apply" and then "OK"

3 - Restart the game.

NOTE; If DirectX 10 proves to give any error messages or your system still runs slowly during the running of STO, then proceed to
    repeat the above steps in "C; DISPLAY TAB:" but instead selecting DirectX 9.

Hope this info helps and that something was also learned that can be passed onto others as well. :D
    Regards,

- Lifetime Gamer
  • Options
    unicron573unicron573 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    i am having the exact same issue. I play on a laptop but i have actual video cards in mine. I have managed to get it stable somewhat using dx9. Dx11 does the above error and after being logged in for just a min or two. March 1st you guys are removing dx9 from being used and im afraid I wont be able to play anymore unless a solution can be found. following is the specs for my laptop. Maybe somebody can help me get Dx11 to work right please. I forgot to mention system is fully updated with all current drivers and updates.

Lenovo Y510p

Windows 10 (64-bit) 15.6" Glossy Wedge 1920 x 1080 2.2 GHz i7-4702MQ Processor Dual NVidia GT 750M (2GB GDDR5 for each) 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD (5400 RPM) + 24GB SSD Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 Bluetooth 4.0 Dimensions: 14.75" x 9.68" x 1" Weight: 6.37lbs. 6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
    Post edited by unicron573 on
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,797 Arc User
    The issue isn't necessarily related to laptops as I used to have this issue on my desktop. Depending on your graphics hardware, some options should be changed to try and help minimize or stop the issue. The issue from my experience, is a coding issue on Cryptic/PWE's part. However, if your laptop does have an Intel GPU paired with something like a Radeon or GeForce card. You can disable the Intel GPU in the Device Manager before playing games. This will require a reboot to be done correctly unless you know the more powerful GPU you want to be using is the one currently in use.

Check the following options in your game settings and see if changing them help. First, reset all graphics settings to their defaults. Then set up everything how you normally would with the exception of the following.

Shadows: Reduce to Low
    Reduced File Streaming: Set to On
    Limit CPU usage when inactive: Set of Off
  • Options
    peqleghpeqlegh Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    DXGI_Device_Removed error - you actually need to lengthen out the TDR time out. Changing a registry setting usually solves this. I was having ton's of problems with that happening whenever I tried to play in DX11 mode when I first got STO.

The issue is Windows is expecting the GPU respond to a request in a certain amount of time. If the GPU fails to respond within the defined time 5 times, it then resets the entire graphics system (hence it removes then restores the display device) terminating whatever application is using the GPU (in this case, DirectX, which also terminates STO). Windows thinks the system is unstable and going to BSOD on the user - so it does this reset in an attempt to resolve GPU instability.

The fix, with regedit, goto: H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Graphics Drivers

Create a new entry called TdrDelay either as a dword (32bit Windows) or qword (64bit Windows)

Start with a value of 3 (Windows defaults to a value of 2). You may need to increase this number one at a time until it stops (3 solved it for me). It should solve the issue and you won't have to change any graphics setting, delete files, etc, etc.

There is another option, and that is to disable TDR entirely (TdrLevel as dword or qword and set the value to 0), but that may not be the best option.
    Post edited by peqlegh on
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    peqlegh wrote: »
    DXGI_Device_Removed error - you actually need to lengthen out the TDR time out. Changing a registry setting usually solves this. I was having ton's of problems with that happening whenever I tried to play in DX11 mode when I first got STO.

The issue is Windows is expecting the GPU respond to a request in a certain amount of time. If the GPU fails to respond within the defined time 5 times, it then resets the entire graphics system (hence it removes then restores the display device) terminating whatever application is using the GPU (in this case, DirectX, which also terminates STO). Windows thinks the system is unstable and going to BSOD on the user - so it does this reset in an attempt to resolve GPU instability.

The fix, with regedit, goto: H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Graphics Drivers

Create a new entry called TdrDelay either as a dword (32bit Windows) or qword (64bit Windows)

Start with a value of 3 (Windows defaults to a value of 2). You may need to increase this number one at a time until it stops (3 solved it for me). It should solve the issue and you won't have to change any graphics setting, delete files, etc, etc.

There is another option, and that is to disable TDR entirely (TdrLevel as dword or qword and set the value to 0), but that may not be the best option.

This advice might work, and I hope it does, however on my system all it did was create a different "crash" (Device has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware).

The fix that finally worked for me was first running a program called Display Driver Uninstaller (it's free and a quick google search will get you the latest version) to completely remove all traces of my current drivers. Next, just because, I ran CCleaner (again, google to get latest version....also free) and cleaned my registry.

After that, I then installed the latest drivers for my video card. I was not able to turn on lighting 2.0 at all without a crash within 2-10 minutes, (if it didn't crash on loading), and needing graphics turned down even without lighting 2.0 or I'd crash in anywhere from 5-30 minutes. I have now (so far) played for up to two hours straight with lighting 2.0 on and graphics maxed with no problems at all, knock on wood.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention, I have an Acer laptop also running the Intel HD graphics. I went with the latest drivers directly from Intel (Beta at that). I didn't save the link where I found them but they are version 20.19.15.4539 dated 10/14/2016
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png