test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

@Thomas Marrone ~Ship Design

So, over the years we've seen many ships. Some have been brilliant, others not so much. The most recent T6 Multimission ships fall into the later category. Not only do they look boring, but they seem to simply be rehashes of the T5 Multimission ships. Why is it that you guys are providing replacements for already existing ships, rather than providing full upgrades for the T5 Multimission ships (Vesta) to a T6 version rather than T5-U?

Moreover, and to the point of this thread, is why aren't you guys listening to the players? Many of us want more diverse ships, not rehashes of previous ships. I know that I, at least, want to see greater customization of our ships. Rearranging of ship slots or the ability to add slots to existing ships as an upgrade. I'd also like to see more factions, more storylines, and the like (of course you aren't head of this section of development). When are we going to see the Borg Federation (freed Borg) as a playable faction?

Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    So, over the years we've seen many ships. Some have been brilliant, others not so much. The most recent T6 Multimission ships fall into the later category. Not only do they look boring, but they seem to simply be rehashes of the T5 Multimission ships. Why is it that you guys are providing replacements for already existing ships, rather than providing full upgrades for the T5 Multimission ships (Vesta) to a T6 version rather than T5-U?

Moreover, and to the point of this thread, is why aren't you guys listening to the players? Many of us want more diverse ships, not rehashes of previous ships. I know that I, at least, want to see greater customization of our ships. Rearranging of ship slots or the ability to add slots to existing ships as an upgrade. I'd also like to see more factions, more storylines, and the like (of course you aren't head of this section of development). When are we going to see the Borg Federation (freed Borg) as a playable faction?

1. Money needs to be made, 'tis why dilithium sinks are a thing.
    2. Ship roles make need for "rehashed" designs.
    3. Cardassians and Imp Romulans are probably going to be released as a f(r)action, sooner that Lib Borg are.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    They might look boring to you but people actually like them. I've used pieces of the T6 and T5 Vesta Classes to my own tastes personally.

As a product manager myself in mobile app development, I have a good sense of the constraints they are in related to business priorities by PWE and CBS plus theirs, the actual development time they have versus what they want, resources they need for that development time, and what their actual metrics show based on what players say they want versus what they actually do in game. I've seen this first hand with doctors who want everything in a messaging platform only to see in the metrics they just use 2 things on a daily basis.

Do I want to see the New Orleans Class personally? Yes... Will they build it though? Nope cuz it wouldn't make business sense to dump in the time, resources, and effort. People have been vocal about updating ships like the Vesta Class and the cannon hero ships so they prioritized it based on their production schedule/product roadmap/storyline arc. It also allowed them to go cross faction in many of the ship updates to T6.

So in conclusion:
    1) Ship designs are subjective
    2) What we want versus what we do in game speaks volumes
    3) It's still a business and they need to keep making $$$ if they want to keep the Star Trek license
    4) They really want to give us many things but don't have the time/business requirements/resource
    5) We need to keep pushing them to do better in the framework we have
  • Options
    lordrelentlesslordrelentless Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Ship designs are subjective, but rehashes are not interesting.
    What we want and do in game are not inherently separate things, and what others and I do is replay old episodes out of boredom with the lackluster end-game material.
    Yes, it is still a business, and when former long-time players quit, they lose money. Giving us what we want keeps us interested in the game, and if we're interested in the game we're more likely to spend money.
    They may "want" to give us many things, but they're not giving us what we want. If I want a hamburger, I don't go to the place giving away sushi.
    There are many things they need to do to fix this game (like the bugs that keep happening with each update). But if, and when, a framework isn't working, they need to enovate how they do things.

And what I'm asking for, like a Borg cube as a PC ship, or allowing us to add weapon slots or equipment slots, wouldn't take much effort. If they can add an entirely new R&D project track, and release rehashes, they can take pre-existing models, add the necessary equipment slots to it, and make it available for us to use. If they can add upgrades and new tiered stats to a rehashed set of ships, they can make it so we can upgrade older ships in a way that actually makes sense and makes them viable ships in end-game play.

Quit making excuses for their laziness.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2017

make a better design send it to cryptic maybe you find a job!
    (that means unless you can present a equal or better work ...)

most of my suggestions have been implemented (i am not saying, the team got the ideas from me but comen sense you know)

borg would be nice. when it is time. but i don't want the weak old borg. bring in the future heavy hitters

and why do they assimilate only human and klings in sto? palyable voth ,iconian ,tzenkethi ,reman ,8472 ... -borg's plz

latest?cb=20080430043440&path-prefix=en

• Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    Quit making excuses for their laziness.

You've never worked in software development I assume if you think it's easy to try to do QA/development/enhancements at the same time or in parallel order. It's not lazy...

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Ship designs are subjective, but rehashes are not interesting.

Even the claim that they are "rehashes" are subjective.

The T6 Vestas are of course variants and thus must stay compatible and somewhat similar to the TIer 5 version. But at the same time, we got some new feel for the nacelles, an option to get a sensor dome, and new styles for Vesta deflector that considerably diverge from the old Vesta style deflectors, and smaller saucers then the previous Vesta variants. There are also a new variety of pylons that enable completely new positions.
    Of course, there are design call backs to other Tier 6 ships, like some of the nacelle designs remind us of Guardian and the Flagships, and some of the deflectors clearly evoke the same design language as the Pathfinder. But that are pretty good features, since it creates a sense of continuity and consistency.

These variants leave a lot of new options to kitbash your ship, and altering the overall look and feel sometimes substantially compared to the original Vesta variants.

Post edited by mustrumridcully0 on
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordrelentlesslordrelentless Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Nothing yet stated disproves my points.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Nothing yet stated disproves my points.

What was your point again?

That they are not listening to players is questionable. People asked for T6 science vessels for the RR and KDF, and now they each got 4. People asked for a Tier 6 Vesta aswel, and they got it. People asked for more Gorin ships, and they got it.

For people that want completely new designs, they got that too, like with the Eclipse, Phantom or Scryler (and they got a lot of critique for that, claims that they wouldn't do classic designs anymore and those ships didn't look Trek or Federation or whatever).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    ... most T6s are "rehashes" ... because people want their favorite lower tier ships converted into T6s, and this almost always involves making a new variant.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    I have a different question for our esteemed ship designer, one which I believe is much more within his purview and power to answer:

Do you have any official dimensions for the new MMEs?

Some of us live for these things, and while it's possible to estimate by putting them up against the Vesta/Aventine (which has published, though soft-canon, stats) and eyeballing it, it would be fantastic to get the numbers directly from the person who built and rendered the models.