test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So who wants a zoo?

There are quite a few creatures in the game by now. Why not put a bunch in one place? Admittedly, there wouldn't be much more than an aesthetic purpose to it. But it also wouldn't take all that long to do. And it could be a pretty cool environment.
Maybe as a research project for a fleet?
A couple of dailies could be linked to the care of the creatures. Maybe.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Silly. This is not Farmville: Star Trek Edition.
  • Options
    latentredlatentred Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    But it COULD be. jk.
    Seriously though, it was a random thought I wanted some feedback on.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    I had a thought along these lines, but it played into Cryptic revamping Ship Interiors. Part of the idea was to have a life sciences lab on one of the decks, where all of your ground pets can be seen/stored. Sort of like a menagerie.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Grr, can't find a meme for it, but:

Colonel Sanders "Secure all animals in the zoo ..."
    Dark Helmet: "Give me that you petty excuse for an officer!"
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I want a zoo. On Romulus. And don't forget to place a couple of Klingons there, every Romulan zoo should have a pair ;)

a6992ac0fae31e368222c63c92a8a061.jpg
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Moo

There's already a zoo in the game. *points at everyone* See? The Collector would agree. Pay attention. ;)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    this would be a no, I believe that in the 23 century and hopefully much sooner animal rights will be such that keeping wild animals in captivity just so people could go and gawp at them would be a big no-no.
    especially in the era of holodecks where you could roam amongst wild animals in a virtual and safe setting while real wild animals roam free and undisturbed as they should.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The STO zoo is in your duty officer roster under Brig. Please don't feed my Andorians, they're going on to market later.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Welcome! And thank you for joining us for today's protest for Epohh Rights! Epohh have rights, too! ;)
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Wouldn't all those pets overflowing in one's bank and inventory tabs count as a zoo?

In a practical way, they could add like a mini zoo at Starfleet Academy, as the whales are already there.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    this would be a no, I believe that in the 23 century and hopefully much sooner animal rights will be such that keeping wild animals in captivity just so people could go and gawp at them would be a big no-no.
    especially in the era of holodecks where you could roam amongst wild animals in a virtual and safe setting while real wild animals roam free and undisturbed as they should.

Oh yeah? Tell that to the poor Nanovs in your Embassy.
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Welcome! And thank you for joining us for today's protest for Epohh Rights! Epohh have rights, too! ;)

#NanovLivesMatter
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    yuukageyuukage Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    might as well said, give us a private quarter where we can keep all our pets roam free. XD
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    Not a zoo, but a pet and tribble inventories could be actually nice
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    We already have a zoo. It's called Qo'nos. :tongue:
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    #Epohh

just because the devs add something to the game doesn't mean I have to agree with it to keep playing, if the devs add a zoo then they do but it doesn't mean I have to think its right for them to do so and it would be wrong IMO for me to request such an addition or agree with anyone who request such a thing, all I can do is state why I think it would be wrong.

I really don't see why the devs thought it would be a good idea to add Nanov to the embassy, if I want to see Nanov I will go to the Atlai and see them as they should be seen.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Well, not a zoo but I would like a place to keep all my pets in that they wouldn't fill my inventory/bank. And being able to see them all milling about in an actual map would be a cool bonus for collecting them.

So player housing with pet accommodation would be awesome.
  • Options
    #Epohh

just because the devs add something to the game doesn't mean I have to agree with it to keep playing, if the devs add a zoo then they do but it doesn't mean I have to think its right for them to do so and it would be wrong IMO for me to request such an addition or agree with anyone who request such a thing, all I can do is state why I think it would be wrong.

I really don't see why the devs thought it would be a good idea to add Nanov to the embassy, if I want to see Nanov I will go to the Atlai and see them as they should be seen.

Ok, I was only making a joke. Let's all just calm down. It's just a game. ;)
    warpangel wrote: »
    Well, not a zoo but I would like a place to keep all my pets in that they wouldn't fill my inventory/bank. And being able to see them all milling about in an actual map would be a cool bonus for collecting them.

So player housing with pet accommodation would be awesome.

See my suggestion above. :)
    coolbatman wrote: »
    i know, have the 'zoo' placed in a re-vamped memory alpha map.....it would give taco something to do and would be a good excuse to bring back memory alpha

You think @tacofangs doesn'ts have enough to do?!? LOL ;)
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    We already have a zoo. It's called Qo'nos. :tongue:

This is incorrect. Besides, we do not need another zoo. We already have TWO zoos in this game. They are:
    ESD w/Zone Chat
    Drozana Station.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Why not something like mass effect's codex but for all the wildlife you encounter? or pets you unlock from the Lobi Store/Risa/New Romulus etc.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Foundry, we have a lot of critters (some pets included). I'll see what I can do to work a zoo in somewhere (maybe SSF3-2).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited February 2017

I agree with you on most of your statement with one big exception. It is a sad fact that in many of the larger zoos the only remaining examples of some species exsist. This is directly due to man's destruction of thier natural enviornment. These zoos unfortuantly are the only means to ensure those species continued viability and a chance for a future reintroduction into the wild. I feel the preserves or zoo of this type will be around in the age of Trek for those exact reasons. Consider the case of Romulus put forth in the game. The entire planet was destroyed and perhaps the only surviving creatures from Romulus are in "zoos".
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Cute stuff and science?
    fixing fences and chasing escaped animals?

what is not to like about this idea? it would be a great distraction from the bleak days of the militarised starfleet we are.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Check the Foundry for a mission called Romulan zoo. I dont know if it transferred from the old ESD to the ESD of today but It might have.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Oh I forgot the current zoo:

ESD ZONE
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Well the mice, who are hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings, wouldn't allow it. I don't believe the dolphins would either. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well the mice, who are hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings, wouldn't allow it. I don't believe the dolphins would either. :)

LkLpmbv.gif
    ExtxpTp.jpg