test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enemies stronger in STFs?

giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
So I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I just want to make sure about this and that I'm not missing something. Are enemies stronger in STFs? I've built myself a nice little fleet of ships, each with they're own equipment and while I try to upgrade them as best I can, I have too many to try and get them all up to MKXIV Epic, the most I try for is MKXIII UR, with a few exceptions. However thats not the issue, is solo missions, or at least in missions that can be played solo, I do a fair amount of damage and have no problem taking out groups of ships on Advanced difficulty. However as soon as I go into an STF, even set to Normal, I still hardly do any damage. I've never parsed it, but from the numbers I see it simply seems like the enemies in STFs have a LOT more shields. Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I've never bothered to check, but in MMOs it's pretty standard for mobs in grouped instances to be more difficult
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    STFs are basically what you'd call dungeons, should you be playing a classic MMO like WoW. Which naturally mean, tougher NPCs.

Now and then, you will come across players that are capable of soloing STFs, of course, but they're primarily group challenges.
  • Options
    Ya I thought as much. I was checking because in most MMOs they let you know the enemy is stronger, either by changing the name slightly, showing you they have more health, giving them an elaborate portrait, etc. In STO there's nothing to tell you that the enemies have stronger shields.
    Stronger? They havn't been changed since the best expansion ever.
    Judging you measure usability of an item by it's quality, I'd take the risk to assume you are an inexperienced player and have no idea of the game mechanics. Hit the basic manuals to get your DPS up to date.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They occasionally change the effect of some of the Player powers and it gets translated to stronger NPCs.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    stee1max wrote: »
    Judging you measure usability of an item by it's quality, I'd take the risk to assume you are an inexperienced player and have no idea of the game mechanics. Hit the basic manuals to get your DPS up to date.

The question was whether they were stronger than mission play. Probably; though it can also be an effect of larger enemy numbers - advanced versions of queues definitely get boosted.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Quality DOES effect an item, but yes I know that the mods are more important. I just didn't feel like listing that I try to only use items with Acc, CritD, CritH on them. But more importantly my understanding of how good items are is irrelevant. I was making the point that going into a story mission I destroy ships a LOT faster than if I take that same ship with the same equipment into an STF.
    ltminns wrote: »
    They occasionally change the effect of some of the Player powers and it gets translated to stronger NPCs.

Not talking about powers, when I do regular story missions I can go in without activating any powers and tear battleships apart. When I go into a STF I cant even scratch them, even WITH powers.
    The question was whether they were stronger than mission play. Probably; though it can also be an effect of larger enemy numbers - advanced versions of queues definitely get boosted.

I know that, but I'm comparing group vs story missions of the same difficulty level.
    edited February 2017
    gilion wrote: »

Quality DOES effect an item, but yes I know that the mods are more important. I just didn't feel like listing that I try to only use items with Acc, CritD, CritH on them. But more importantly my understanding of how good items are is irrelevant. I was making the point that going into a story mission I destroy ships a LOT faster than if I take that same ship with the same equipment into an STF.
    [...]

Basically that shows what @stee1max said. The best mods for weapons as example are crtd/dmg and for crafted weapons pen in addition. Just paint your gear in a shiny gold doesnt mean that it is good. Its highly important to use the "correct" gear, a good layout for your Boff abilities and use them correctly.

But since you never parsed yourself, you dont really know how good your ship is. Maybe you should just parse an Infected Space Advanced and use a program like Combatlogreader to see raw numbers.

In case you want to improve yourself, your ship etc, you might wanna have a look at the guides/builds we published at sto-league.com.

If there are any questions feel free to ask me ingame ;)