test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another giveaway mishandled

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    Since we are in the midst of another giveaway as we speak, I give Cryptic a pass on this. However, it is still pure speculation as to whether this was "random" or not. No one knows what kind of metrics they may have used. Are they Arc users? Do they spend money on a variety of PWE games? etc.

As far as "whiners, cry babies" blah, blah...I think it is understandable for some players to feel unappreciated or disenfranchised by this giveaway.

the only things I can say for sure as a receiver of this gift is I am a lifer though I have never spent any other money on the game, I play most days for various lengths of time sometimes hours sometimes a few minutes, I am an arc user and I am fairly vocal on the forum, I don't consider myself a white knight for cryptic although I will defend them if I think they are being criticised unfairly but I will also say if I think they are being unfair or making a mistake.
    the only other thing as has been mentioned is I have selected to receive emails of news/offers from cryptic/pw.
    I am sure most of the others who received this would have very different things to say about themselves as I don't believe there was any one thing that made a difference between getting this gift or not.

at the end of the day we get a lot of freebies throughout the year and most players that have been playing for any length of time probably have more ships and other stuff then they can ever use anyway especially if you are like me and have been playing for some years, all we can do is just be grateful for what we do get and just chalk it up to bad luck if we miss out.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    discojer wrote: »
    This is why in school, teachers would always say "Did you bring enough for everyone in the class?"

Because it generates ill feelings in people left out. While you'd think adults would feel this less than children, it still is a bit annoying to see someone else get something cool for free and you don't.

Then you have not left chilhood behind and joined being an actual adult. I would suggest that you grow up, but I find that people raised in today's everyone is special environment to be utterly incapable of doing that...as the OP proved so aptly.

Okay argument to come but first to be clear. Did not get email. Mild disappointment. But would not have used he ship anyway. It was the spec points that had me checking my email. And congratulations on those that did get one. I hope you enjoy both ship and points.

As to the not grown up issue and everyone being in the special snowflake feeling. This last Christmas we got in several items from vendors all addressed to the two salesmen. So those two men had a buffet table of cookies and candies while the folks they kept asking for special favors from had nothing. These are not kids here. One is in his fifties and the other pushing seventy. And it did generate ill feelings. Especially when the Christmas bonuses came around and the two salesmen and the UPS driver, FedEx drivers and trash collector got notice. But not the service or warehouse departments. They just had to hand out those bonuses for the off site boss.

But hey if that is nothing to be bothered by. Answer this. Do you care what you make an hour? Or that it is half what someone doing the same job as you makes?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    You remind me of this mother at my daughters school. Once a year they have a "Night In" where you can go to the school and they have different activities for the kids to do in all the classrooms and stuff. There are also door prizes. This one lady got really really upset that she did not win a door prize. She felt like everyone should have gotten one or no one should have gotten any at all. Really stupid. If you feel like you got a big "you suck" cause you didn't get something, maybe these types of games are not for you.
  • Options
    stee1maxstee1max Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Cryptic's best at being competent and supporting their customers.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    jerryspock wrote: »
    Like the Nagus before it: the Soverign give-away occured to what appears to be random people, with no explanation.

It's like it's custom-designed to lower morale.

There have been some "5 lucky winner" giveaways, and there are "show up and everyone gets"; but give aways like the one they did yesterday (and the Nagus before it) are, well, bad. Not to the people who recieve to be sure, but to the rest of us for whom it feels like a big "you suck" (not to mention people who purchased it with Zen).

Fix this guys. If you are giving away the ship, then give away the ship. Don't do these unnanouced secret "to some people".

PS. Feel free to placate me by sending me a code (Nagus would be even better). Lord knows you have gotten enough of my money that keeping my moral up is likely a good choice.

It wasnt mishandled it was random it was more about luck then anything.

Remember the gold-plated ferengi ship? now that was the definition of mishandled.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    This is why in school, teachers would always say "Did you bring enough for everyone in the class?"

Because it generates ill feelings in people left out. While you'd think adults would feel this less than children, it still is a bit annoying to see someone else get something cool for free and you don't.

Then you have not left chilhood behind and joined being an actual adult. I would suggest that you grow up, but I find that people raised in today's everyone is special environment to be utterly incapable of doing that...as the OP proved so aptly.

Okay argument to come but first to be clear. Did not get email. Mild disappointment. But would not have used he ship anyway. It was the spec points that had me checking my email. And congratulations on those that did get one. I hope you enjoy both ship and points.

As to the not grown up issue and everyone being in the special snowflake feeling. This last Christmas we got in several items from vendors all addressed to the two salesmen. So those two men had a buffet table of cookies and candies while the folks they kept asking for special favors from had nothing. These are not kids here. One is in his fifties and the other pushing seventy. And it did generate ill feelings. Especially when the Christmas bonuses came around and the two salesmen and the UPS driver, FedEx drivers and trash collector got notice. But not the service or warehouse departments. They just had to hand out those bonuses for the off site boss.

But hey if that is nothing to be bothered by. Answer this. Do you care what you make an hour? Or that it is half what someone doing the same job as you makes?

Seriously? How can you possibly think you have made any sort of valid point by comparing real life situations, wages etc that can have a real impact on ones life, with a video game that you play for entertainment purposes... really?
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »

Seriously? How can you possibly think you have made any sort of valid point by comparing real life situations, wages etc that can have a real impact on ones life, with a video game that you play for entertainment purposes... really?

Some take thier MMOs seriously , to each their own and if taking an MMO seriously makes them happy , then who am i to judge :)
  • Options

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

In the real world scenario, you are there to do a job and get paid. If someone else is taking credit for your work by constantly asking for special favors and then taking all the credit when the job gets done, that's a serious problem. It should either be brought up to HR or you should find another job where they treat people fairly, maybe at your current companies competition if you don't have some sort of non-compete clause. However, that's not what this situation is like at all. This is more like if there was an office party with door prizes and only a handful of people got one. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Some take thier MMOs seriously , to each their own and if taking an MMO seriously makes them happy , then who am i to judge :)

True enough. But this just gets so tiring cause it happens every damn time. Doesn't even have to be this type of promotion, people whined about the Leeta Groupies one as well. Constant whining about how they didn't get some toy. It's just crazy.
  • Options

Then those people need to take a deep breath and stop it. If they don't want to that's fine too, and I will not judge them. I will tell them no one wants to hear their TRIBBLE though.
  • Options

My valid point is the only answer anyone gives for any sign of disappointment is that they should grow up and stop feeling entitled. I have read speculation and mention of minor disappointment on here of not winning a nice give away. But any that feel that way are wrong? And Yes I hear the exact same attitude irl. It was a nice giveaway. Those that got it great. Those that didn't, darn, oh well.

• Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    stop complaining it was a GIFT lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Thanks for the free ships...
    I dont want to be...

65944694.jpg
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    give this thread a rest, most players have already got more value from the giveaways this week then what was in that promotion and you will also get an awesome looking ship in the anniversary event.
    if you didn't get the email it was probably just bad luck, maybe you will be more lucky next time.

• Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    FYI, people who complain about other people "whining" are also whining. Generally with less reason.

People who tell other people to get over it who never get over it themselves.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    No tang at all.
  • Options
    FYI, people who complain about other people "whining" are also whining. Generally with less reason.

by that principle everyone who posts on this forum is whining as well as yourself.

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Would it be a bad time to tell everyone I got the ship, opened it on every toon, got the adm card, and then dry docked the ship?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    galwaytazalangalwaytazalan Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Notice how you get your bills, late notices, and missed chances always on time in your e-mail but never the good stuff :)

Don't worry those who have missed out, I haven't got any through the mail. Well if you discount the QT Mk II special torpedo early when the game launched. The Khan outfit they now give out if you go through the ARC sign-in for the game. I have the disc still that allows me to skip the ARC install (I don't need yet another DRM client/portal - and one where I only play one of the games).

I started with pre-order, didn't want to be a beta tester, and left the game as a paid member (when there was no free to play) 200+ days launch. Came back when it was free to play. So who knows what marks you as winning these e-mail giveaways, maybe the same random luck generator when it comes to getting the good stuff in lockboxes/r&d packs (which in my case means I am well S out of Luck.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

So by extension, people (like yourself) who are whining about other people who are whining about people whining are even worse right?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    No not a bad time at all. You did the same with the Temporal Light Cruiser, but the first time you mentioned that in the Forums you said you deleted it after you got the Admiralty Card. Shock effect I suppose. Later it was just Drydocked.

I already had that Ship, I bought it when it first released so no big deal. As far as the 10 Levels/Spec Points, I picked up 29 today with this Giveaway and the FE. Well actually 27, as my Temporal Recruit has been converting to Dilithium since October.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited January 2017

So by extension, people (like yourself) who are whining about other people who are whining about people whining are even worse right?

we could keep this going to infinity and beyond, lets just settle on if people aren't whining about something their whining about people whining about something and leave it at that.

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    For me, it was 'mishandled' only in the overall sense of me disliking this type of promo, and the discord it seeds. However, I am omly prepared to allot so much time and energy being upset about it: it's bad for the soul. In short, I have moved on. I suggest you do the same, OP. and just enjoy the anniversary!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2017

Nope, unless you're prepared to be one stage worse (or, as a four-year-old would say, no, you are,infinity!).

Just pointing out that everything said by the complainers about complaining (who are legion) could be said about themselves, as they seem to be terminally unaware.

P.S. If you want to keep arguing pointlessly, I could point out that OP is actually complaining about a thing that happened related to the game that affected players, however little, whereas you are complaining about posts on a forum that you knew, before you read, you did not want to read.

Then again, this is the internet. Pointless arguing is the second most common thing here.
  • Options
    So...basically you have a 50 and 70 year old kid working at your place and that is proof that you shouldn't grow up and accept the results of a RANDOM giveaway because?!? As for payment for services rendered...if you think your service is worth more, than DEMAND more. If they refuse, go to where you think you get what your service is worth. Course if you value your service too high, nobody will pay for it...but that is how this whole economic system works. Yes, the salesmen are worth more than you working as a warehouse shlepper because they generate more money for the company than you do AND their skillset isn't something ANYONE can do well. Same deal with the delivery drivers. And trash collectors...well anyone can technically do that...but NOBODY does it because it's gross. If you want their money, man up and collect some stinky **** garbage every day instead of moving boxes around a warehouse. Basically grow up. No really.

I am going to correct you on the no one else can do their job nor has their skillset. As I as a lowly warehouse shlepper am the company IT person and have to show them how to use the sales system once a week at minimum. And the 50's service manager has to fill in for them when they take time off. Noting that any sales he makes go to them an not to him. The person with the virtually irreplaceable skills are the service manager. Who walks people through repairs on the phone while scheduling others elsewhere. And the shipper when no one else could figure out how to turn on the computers. (Last part is ridiculous I thought the job was doable by an untrained monkey till they failed at it.)
    My point was I hear the "Stop complaining and feeling entitled." Argument to often and in too many places. Guess what after this post I am off to work. I am glad I have a job at all right now. But that argument has gotten stale and is approaching Godwin's law status at this point.

• Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017

True enough. But this just gets so tiring cause it happens every damn time. Doesn't even have to be this type of promotion, people whined about the Leeta Groupies one as well. Constant whining about how they didn't get some toy. It's just crazy.

dumb question, but wasn't the Leeta thing during a New York Event and you actually had to GO to the New York Event and talk to them to get it? Or something like that? (Obviously, I don't have it, since I didn't go.) :p
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    Would it be a bad time to tell everyone I got the ship, opened it on every toon, got the adm card, and then dry docked the ship?

Say whatever you want. *takes the shush money*
This discussion has been closed.