test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sovereign v D'deridex class.

I've just began the Cirini Prime mission trying to defeat the D'deridex class ship that's blocking the opening the wall that surrounding the planet. I assume one of the answers lets you pass without confrontation, I happen to select the (LIE) option, well began a long battle trying to defeat the ship. I'm using my Sovereign class ship, it has MK8-10 of shields, weapons, engines, warp core the whole lot. But for some reason I just can't get the D'deridex class shields down enough before I get destroyed and that tracker beam is annoying. Its the same story for the Dyson Sphere part as well. Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I need to go to space dock and buy the best things I can get for my ship?

Comments

• gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    The problem I had had with D'deridex's in the past was that they drain your shields then launch a full spread of torpedoes. Presumably that's still true today. If you are using beam weaponry, Beam: Fire at Will is your friend in this case, or in the case of cannons, Scatter Volley. These will (hopefully) destroy most the torp's and give you time to whittle away at it. It seems the AI only uses that combination at or near the beginning of a fight, so should you survive that, you're laughing. Your own torpedo spread can also shoot down incoming torp's.

That said, a trip to the dock and the exchange to see if you can pick up any improved gear on the cheap is always good advice - Though I had precious little luck last time I looked, the only semi-decently priced gear was common/uncommon (white/green) quality, with anything beyond going for an arm and a leg.
  • ft464ft464 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    gonalius wrote: »
    The problem I had had with D'deridex's in the past was that they drain your shields then launch a full spread of torpedoes. Presumably that's still true today. If you are using beam weaponry, Beam: Fire at Will is your friend in this case, or in the case of cannons, Scatter Volley. These will (hopefully) destroy most the torp's and give you time to whittle away at it. It seems the AI only uses that combination at or near the beginning of a fight, so should you survive that, you're laughing. Your own torpedo spread can also shoot down incoming torp's.

That said, a trip to the dock and the exchange to see if you can pick up any improved gear on the cheap is always good advice - Though I had precious little luck last time I looked, the only semi-decently priced gear was common/uncommon (white/green) quality, with anything beyond going for an arm and a leg.

Everything on the ship is set to automatic, so it'll take effect when the ship hits a certain point, because that worked when I took on the Romulan/Borg assimilated ships, assumed it would work on a normal Romulan ship. Yeah it still does that, fires all its weapons, I get ripped apart, my shields drop and I'm defenceless my weapons will only last so long, plus can't get away on full impulse either. Fire at Will has saved me a few times so not too sure why its deciding to now not play along now, got cannons installed as well, they work well.

I do make trips to and from space dock when I can, exchange stuff I don't need (including any low mk equipment) but the prices are expensive.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The best way to defeat the warbird is to stay more than 5km away from it and attack from the sides or behind.

The problem might not be so much in the way of gear, but maybe what abilities your bridge officers have. Does your Science bridge officer have Polarize Hull and Hazzard Emitters? Those two abilities alone will be a great benefit for this battle. Polarize Hull to negate the tractor beams and the Emitters to remove the plasma burn if you do get hit by their torpedoes.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    I think this may be more of a general set up & handling issue here.
    First of all, don't mix beams & cannons, especially not on a ship that has barely any tactical boff slots. Conflicting firing arcs, no common boff powers, lackluster turn rate for cannons, etc. A great set up (efficient & cheap) for lower story stuff would be 3 beams and a photon/quantum torp per side. With that you can braodside and throw in a torp every now and then.
    Speaking of braodsiding, let's talk tactics. The easy way to kill a D'D is staying at one of it's sides. They turn terribly and can't hit you with their HY torp salvos if you aren't directly in front or behind them and their tractor beams also have an easy counter, Polarize Hull which gives complete immunity to that stuff and can be slotted in your ensign sci slot.
    Aside from that keep using "emergency power to weapons (2 or 3)" and "fire at will" together and the D'D will be gone before you know it.
    All very helpful tips I shall take it onboard do the upgrades to the ship and with luck these tips will help. Would it better to stick with just beams and remove the cannons for a ship such as this. I do find sticking to their broadsides does take the shields down so I think it is just sorting the weapon systems out and training my bridge officers with the necessary items.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    It would be best to remove the cannons period. Cannons do not get buffed by Beam BOff abilities. In general it would be best for a ship to have one or the other. Never both. Also, if at all possible, have your energy weapons all one type such as Phaser or Disruptor. Don't mix damage types if you can afford it. That way you can maximize the damage output by getting damage specific tac consoles like a Phaser Relay.

It is ok to have a torpedo or two as well. For a cruiser I would recommend one torp front and one torp aft if you want a balanced set up. As a veteran casual Cruiser Captain, I'm familiar with setting up decent cruisers.

D'Deridex warbirds can be nasty with their habit of grabbing you and dropping 3 Heavy Plasmas. As mentioned above, Polarize Hull will help break you free, and staying beyond 5km will prevent the D'D from even being able to grab you.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    It would be best to remove the cannons period. Cannons do not get buffed by Beam BOff abilities. In general it would be best for a ship to have one or the other. Never both. Also, if at all possible, have your energy weapons all one type such as Phaser or Disruptor. Don't mix damage types if you can afford it. That way you can maximize the damage output by getting damage specific tac consoles like a Phaser Relay.

It is ok to have a torpedo or two as well. For a cruiser I would recommend one torp front and one torp aft if you want a balanced set up. As a veteran casual Cruiser Captain, I'm familiar with setting up decent cruisers.

D'Deridex warbirds can be nasty with their habit of grabbing you and dropping 3 Heavy Plasmas. As mentioned above, Polarize Hull will help break you free, and staying beyond 5km will prevent the D'D from even being able to grab you.

So what I'll need to do is give my ship a full set of phaser strips, (ones I can afford), at the moment it has two sets of mk9 or 10 I believe along the forward section, with one to cover the aft as well as some mk8 torpedo launchers for good measure. and theres a cannon thrown in there to but that can go as well as the mine launcher. Just need to work out how to use these training manuals I've collected to train my bridge officers to improve the ship overall.

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    you may find mkXII green beam arrays to be cheaper than the mkIX if you have the level to mount them.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    ft464 wrote: »
    Just need to work out how to use these training manuals I've collected to train my bridge officers to improve the ship overall.
    I'm not sure if you play on PC or Console so I'll answer both.

PC: You choose which Bridge officer you want to improve, go to the Skills tab and any ability you have a training manual will show up as trainable.

Console: It is a little bit more hidden. You have to go to the Bridge officer stations were you seated your officers on the ship (or Away Team if you are changing ground abilities). Select one of their abilities and a long drop menu should appear for that rank. Most will be grayed out but any abilities you have a manual for will be highlighted green.

sstosig2.png
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Oh god, Romulan ships.

"Here's TEN HEAVY DAMAGE TORPEDOES! Hope you survive!"

I seriously counted them one time. It was ten. The horror lives on...
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    Oh god, Romulan ships.

"Here's TEN HEAVY DAMAGE TORPEDOES! Hope you survive!"

Ive managed 12 once with my hyper torpedo launcher
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Those bloody torpedoes are one of the reasons I always aim to get a ship that can slot Gravity Well, BFAW or CV. Romulans raise plasma torps? I raise them a GW, I hail them and when they answer, I flip them the double bird. They don't get it, but I don't care.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    Oh god, Romulan ships.

"Here's TEN HEAVY DAMAGE TORPEDOES! Hope you survive die!"

FTFY
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    The D'deridex is pretty scary early on with those tractor beams and high yield torpedoes.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    before they revamped the Romulan story arc there was a mission where one would decloak within 5km just to guarantee that you'd get tractored, and torpedoed....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    An old favorite Romulan annoyance is when on ground missions you'd run into groups with 2-3 medics. They rez each other before you can kill em all. They'd even comeback from being vaporized! :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    Use knocks on the medics. Rez powers have a limited range and if they're too far away from each other they can't do it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Use knocks on the medics. Rez powers have a limited range and if they're too far away from each other they can't do it.

I'll just target anything with Medic in the name first. In the real world, this would get me called to the Hague for a war crimes trial. :)
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    Nah, if they shoot at you they don't count. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    null

Gonna need to run that by me one more time, I'm playing on console. Not exactly following what you're saying.
    Who were you quoting?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    walligig wrote: »
    ft464 wrote: »
    Just need to work out how to use these training manuals I've collected to train my bridge officers to improve the ship overall.
    I'm not sure if you play on PC or Console so I'll answer both.

PC: You choose which Bridge officer you want to improve, go to the Skills tab and any ability you have a training manual will show up as trainable.

Console: It is a little bit more hidden. You have to go to the Bridge officer stations were you seated your officers on the ship (or Away Team if you are changing ground abilities). Select one of their abilities and a long drop menu should appear for that rank. Most will be grayed out but any abilities you have a manual for will be highlighted green.

Gonna have to run that by me again, can't seem to find the option that allows me to use the training manuals.
  • eric5014#7761 eric5014 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    From the main menu select "Skills", then "Crew Stations" then "Starship Stations" (or "Away Team" for ground skills) then use the direction pad to go to the skill slot for the skill you want to train, hit "X" (on PS4) and a list will appear showing all the available skills for that rank, including those you already have and those you can train right away.

For example, "Polarize Hull I" will be listed in the first rank slot (Ensign rank for Feds) for a Science officer. You might have to look around a bit until you get used to which skills will be in which slot. When you get to the right place it should say something like "Training Manual Available" right below the name of the skill.

Good luck with that D'deridex, that thing tore me apart too before I hunted down some online help. "Polarize Hull" and "Hazard Team" set to automatic did the trick for me.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    The D'deridex is pretty scary early on with those tractor beams and high yield torpedoes.

Use the d'deridex with the assimilated set the assimilaed tractor plus hyper torps is vicious especially as an alpha strike out of cloak.
    valoreah wrote: »
    Romulan D'deridex warbirds are weak if you attack them from behind. Maneuver your ship in behind them before coming into combat range, then stay there once the fight begins. They cannot spam you with tractor beams and such then.

Normally true however if someone is packing nukara web mines and the breen trans cluster torp staying behind it is not smart, best way to fight a d'deridex is using speed and agility because they are slow but powerfull, and make sure you got a way to keep it decloaked because in the hands of a competent captain they will use the battle cloak as part of the weaponry because of the damage buff after decloaking.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    Romulan D'deridex warbirds are weak if you attack them from behind. Maneuver your ship in behind them before coming into combat range, then stay there once the fight begins. They cannot spam you with tractor beams and such then.

Normally true however if someone is packing nukara web mines and the breen trans cluster torp staying behind it is not smart, best way to fight a d'deridex is using speed and agility because they are slow but powerfull, and make sure you got a way to keep it decloaked because in the hands of a competent captain they will use the battle cloak as part of the weaponry because of the damage buff after decloaking.

We're talking about the NPC ship. Not a player.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

We're talking about the NPC ship. Not a player.

in my defense i have the flu so my reading capacity is ascewed :)