test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tholians playable race

How about having Tholians joining in on the fight as playable race ? in their EV suits an all, would not be all that hard to do as they are in the game in both forms and have full animation also.
weapons and all in EV can just be hided and u shoot from a gun point on the EV suit.

Comments

• vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Tholians are xenophobic and basically hate anyone who isnt them.

No way they would be playable because they would never work with the other factions.

So what? Voth hate non-Voth and yet you can get a Voth BOFF. This is Sci-Fi, once you wave the magic story wand anything you want can happen.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    tholians?

no. just... no.
    You can actually get some Tholian Doffs. No Boffs, or toons.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    A Tholian Bridge Officer would be interesting, but one of the limitations in playable races is customization. How do I customize my Tholian character so it looks different from anyone else? Or how do I put my Tholian in a thong or the Tholian equivalent of a swimsuit to participate in the Summer Event?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    stormbrige wrote: »
    How about having Tholians joining in on the fight as playable race ? in their EV suits an all, would not be all that hard to do as they are in the game in both forms and have full animation also.
    weapons and all in EV can just be hided and u shoot from a gun point on the EV suit.

Full animations appropriate to an NPC mob, not a player character (which has a much wider array of tasks to perform. For example: ziplining.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    /slightly off-topic: seeing 'Tholians' and '(storm)bridge' on the same page, how's about they give us the extended Tholian bridge?! (The mission one, with corridors and extra rooms)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    /slightly off-topic: seeing 'Tholians' and '(storm)bridge' on the same page, how's about they give us the extended Tholian bridge?! (The mission one, with corridors and extra rooms)
    Because it just consists in copy-pastes of the two same room and corridor with just a few consoles added?

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Because it just consists in copy-pastes of the two same room and corridor with just a few consoles added?

Better than what we currently have. My character had to stop using the Tholian ship due to the lack of space to get anything done on the bridge. The bridge was full of beds with a few showers, toilets, and replicators.

If it's that simple, all the more reason to give it to us. :)

Seriously, Tacofangs has always said they only consider adding bridges already used in existing missions. This is one.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited December 2016
    I think when it comes to Tholians, we are forgetting that even a small leak from their atmosphere can kill humanoids. You'd have to keep them in Quarantine somewhere on the ship that only they could go. but there is still the issue of possible leakage getting into the air system.
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    They can't survive in our space without environmental suits. Sorry, but the risk to a Tholian would be too great to have them in a cooler, oxygen-based KDF or UFP setting.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I have nothing against the Tholians, but they'd be a pretty complicated race to bring in as playable and there's so many other races that are more practical that are also very deserving of the status just as much, if not more so, than Tholians.

Cardassians, Hirogen, Voth... even the Deferi. Krenim, Ocampa.

I wouldn't personally be opposed to playable Tholians. Honestly, I'm depressed about how few new playable races we've gotten since launch and I'm of the mentality that "the more the merrier". One of the great things about Cryptic games is the wide range of characters you can make.

But it's probably, at least in part, a business decision. Remember when Rigellians were a race you had to pay Zen to play as? I actually spent Zen because I think Rigellians look awesome (though I never actually got around to making my captain...), but now they're free and you still don't see damn near any Rigellian players. I think since September I've seen a grand total of two (though one was even female, so MAD props to that player! About as unique of a character as you'll see among players).

With that said, I can't imagine Cardassians, Hirogen, and Voth would find themselves in the same territory as Saurians, Rigellians, Benzites, Pakleds, and other rarely played races. Cardassians are a race in Trek lore that hold a similar place to Romulans and Klingons, Hirogen are what you get when you cross The Shredder, a gila monster, and the alien from Predator (and are also one of Voyager's most iconic races), and the Voth are freaking DINOSAURS. All three would see relatively decent popularity for non-Humans, and if making them a Zen purchase was necessary to make them economically viable? I really have a hard time believing they'd do significantly worse than the various space cats.
    I doubt we'll ever get the option to play as a Tholian.

However, I am a bit surprised we've never been offered a unique Tholian BOFF, especially since so many of the unique BOFFs they've released have no option for customization (thereby making it easier/less work for them to give us one).
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Or how do I put my Tholian in a thong or the Tholian equivalent of a swimsuit to participate in the Summer Event?

i-tried-killing.jpg
  • ryghanryghan Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Personally, I'd rather have them fix what we already have before adding anything new (to break too ;-P)....
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'd love to have a Tholian Bridge Officer so I could have it wander around on my Tarantula bridge :).
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'd love to have a Tholian Bridge Officer so I could have it wander around on my Tarantula bridge :).

Especially if he could walk up the walls and on the ceiling, and stand at the consoles there. Yas, yas, and more yas.
    edited December 2016
    Tholians are supposed to be ALIEN to the humanoid mindset. Something that can't have a conversation with another race easily (or at all) due to the inability of it having any meaningful point of reference, like the average Joe trying to talk to someone who thinks in mathematics instead of words (there are real humans like this). Something like the Tholian issue was discussed by Spock and Kirk. This was also thrown out the window with Next Generation and even more so with Enterprise. I know they were in Voyager at some point, but can't recall the incident off-hand. Point is, they are supposed to be incompatible with Humanoids in every sense of the word - not just a human in a funny suit. There was another race that was even more alien than the Tholians and looked like a garbage bag at the controls of its' barely lit helm, but I can't think of it. Those focused on a treaty as absolute, but don't know the episode and not going to try to look it up.

like trying to understand Gree: "Black Bisector must harmonize with stationaries to avoid mobiles in order to find green parallel before white vertices becomes red perpendicular." But you can actually understand Gree after a while. Tholians? not even close without the translator, which is often wrong.

Only issue is that in the 31st cent. they have a Tholian ambassador talking to the character. *throws up hands*

(edited where it said Spoke and Kirk instead of Spock and Kirk)
    Post edited by wendysue53 on
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Only issue is that in the 31st cent. they have a Tholian ambassador talking to the character. *throws up hands*

It's because they are apparently really good at temporal mechanics AND they don't want people messing up the history of the Tholian species. They are there merely out of self-preservation and little more.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Full animations appropriate to an NPC mob, not a player character (which has a much wider array of tasks to perform. For example: ziplining.)

More examples: all dance animations (for Risa/Nimbus). Ducking. Saluting. Integrating NPCs as playable is a more difficult task in details. Even for ships - just because there exists a mob version for it doesn't mean making it playable would be a cakewalk.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Playable tholian never gonna happen, for all of the reasons already stated by others. Aside from the in-universe reasons, it boils down to animations costumes and gear visuals that will never, ever work correctly for tholians without massive code changes.

Tholians as bridge officers are only slightly less problematical. You could pretty much keep their appearance locked as tholians in standard tholian environmental suits. But there would still be the issues with gear visuals. Things like, how would frost boots work on a tholian? What does it look like when they're holding a bat'leth? At this point in the game the list is endless.

Not to mention pathing issues... It's difficult enough to get humanoid BOFFs through some of those maps. Tholians have a larger "footprint" than humanoid characters do.

I get the desire to play something really different, but tholians simply won't work without extensive work by the Devs that would ultimately not pay off. We'll have better luck focusing on the humanoid races that make sense.

Cardassians, for example. They're a major faction in canon and in the game and appear in multiple missions throughout the episode progression. I have no strong desire to play one, but others do. They'd be a slam dunk for the Devs, who could make a fair bit of profit selling cardassian-style uniforms and cardassian ships, and the Romulan Republic alliance system would work just as well for them. They only lack a solid story reason to include them and any future Gamma Quadrant expansion would take care of that.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Playable tholian never gonna happen, for all of the reasons already stated by others. Aside from the in-universe reasons, it boils down to animations costumes and gear visuals that will never, ever work correctly for tholians without massive code changes.

Tholians as bridge officers are only slightly less problematical. You could pretty much keep their appearance locked as tholians in standard tholian environmental suits. But there would still be the issues with gear visuals. Things like, how would frost boots work on a tholian? What does it look like when they're holding a bat'leth? At this point in the game the list is endless.

Not to mention pathing issues... It's difficult enough to get humanoid BOFFs through some of those maps. Tholians have a larger "footprint" than humanoid characters do.

I get the desire to play something really different, but tholians simply won't work without extensive work by the Devs that would ultimately not pay off. We'll have better luck focusing on the humanoid races that make sense.

Cardassians, for example. They're a major faction in canon and in the game and appear in multiple missions throughout the episode progression. I have no strong desire to play one, but others do. They'd be a slam dunk for the Devs, who could make a fair bit of profit selling cardassian-style uniforms and cardassian ships, and the Romulan Republic alliance system would work just as well for them. They only lack a solid story reason to include them and any future Gamma Quadrant expansion would take care of that.
    fluffymoof wrote: »

It's because they are apparently really good at temporal mechanics AND they don't want people messing up the history of the Tholian species. They are there merely out of self-preservation and little more.

Yep.
    and
    Yep.
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Not going to happen because 2 obvious reasons everyone else seems to have forgotten about:

1. Devs have stated that players will be able to play a bad guy faction. While not all out villians, the Tholians are clearly used as antagonists over 90% of the time. Pretty sure that puts them in the bad guy criteria for that.

2. Every single Tholian ship, including their fighter, is either a lockbox, lobi or promo ship. I doubt Cryptic would change that. That also includes the only canon design, the Mesh Weaver. If people get the ability to be a certain race, then obviously they are gonna want the whole shebang including the ships. I would be pretty upset if I (as a new player) would find out that all those ships (sans the blue lockbox ones) cost a fortune.

So yeah, not gonna happen I'm afraid.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
    Tholians are supposed to be ALIEN to the humanoid mindset. Something that can't have a conversation with another race easily (or at all) due to the inability of it having any meaningful point of reference, like the average Joe trying to talk to someone who thinks in mathematics instead of words (there are real humans like this). Something like the Tholian issue was discussed by Spock and Kirk. This was also thrown out the window with Next Generation and even more so with Enterprise. I know they were in Voyager at some point, but can't recall the incident off-hand. Point is, they are supposed to be incompatible with Humanoids in every sense of the word - not just a human in a funny suit.

^^ Well said!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited December 2016

Because in four centuries nobody could possibly figure out how to speak to them civilly and open diplomatic ties?

Seems a little pessimistic for talking about Star Trek, don'tcha think?

"Showing up for the meeting even though you HATE everyone there." Is pretty much the definition of diplomacy :D.
    edited December 2016
    nikeix wrote: »

Because in four centuries nobody could possibly figure out how to speak to them civilly and open diplomatic ties?

Seems a little pessimistic for talking about Star Trek, don'tcha think?

Exactly Nikeix.

I am always fascinated with the incredible lack of open-mindedness, creativity, or just plain raw intelligence displayed by so many so-called science fiction fans.

Honestly, no one is interested in someone else's two-dimensional thinking excuse for why they want something they personally dislike excluded from the game so that other's with a different view will have their potential enjoyment diminished. For example, if I can keep my mouth shut while everyone enjoys their Galaxy Class ships and their DS9 & Voyager-centric storylines, you can do the same when I'm enjoying TOS, TMP, Kelvin and Tholian stuff.

From a story-writing standpoint, you can justify anything you want to happen. If TNG's magic wand story resolutions via technobabble didn't teach you that, I doubt anything will.
    Post edited by vampeiyre on