test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you use your favorite ship?

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The Tal Shiar adapted destroyer was the ship that brought me back to the game after almost 5 years and I happily fly it (with all Sphere Builder weapons right now... it shifts around). But I'm also looking forward to a T6 version soon - one more seat and upgraded shrapnel missiles, woohoo!
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    My beliefs kind of align with yours in some respects. I use the B'rel, and Vor'cha on my kdf character, and the D'Deridex on my RR character. I enjoy the canon designs and for the most part shun the majority of the Cryptic designs. In some cases they have some decent looking ships. I do like the Command Cruisers on the fed and romulan side for instance.

As for losing the license I don't actively hope for that. I enjoy this game and play it and don't really want it to go away.

I really enjoyed this game for quite some time. Delta Rising brought an end to this. I guess I'm now what's called a terrorist. I use the product, but if someone asks me for my opinion on STO, they won't hear anything good from me.

Usually I say: If you are a Trek fan, stay away from STO. If you enjoy asia grinders with generic space ships you may get happy with STO.

Immersion is dead in STO. Most games I played usually have some places or minigames I miss after I stopped playing. Places to meet with ingame friends or just for relaxing after a hard days work.

New Romulus came close to it. The ambient sounds and some of the non-violent repeatable quests are nice. But that endless Epooh tagging spam ...

And then: T6 item reset, time travel BS and stupid T6/Kelvin Connies. :/ I invested a lot of time in my chars so I won't stop playing STO completely, but a BIG item reset (an other game companie getting the license) would be my prefered solution.

Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    I own all of my favourite ships in STO, but oddly as the OP mentioned not my favourite hero ships from the shows, mainly for stat reasons I guess, though I was looking at the T6 fleet Galaxy and wondering earlier...
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I very much use the ships I like best no matter the stats as long as it's T5 or better.

I must cruise in style, and there's nothing I've encountered that can't be handled in any ship I fly. It may not be the in-game 'best', but that's not why I play.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I see 23c skins most of the time... almost never see the pancake-prise skins

I saw one of those ship the other day in a DoD run that was called "USS Pancake with syrup" lol
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    (with all Sphere Builder weapons right now... it shifts around).
    That's normal for Sphere Builders tech.

Because they shift around...

As in shifting around dimensions...

... Sorry, I'll take the airlock.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I see 23c skins most of the time... almost never see the pancake-prise skins

I saw one of those ship the other day in a DoD run that was called "USS Pancake with syrup" lol

My Fleet Eclipse used to be named U.S.S. Pancake of DOOM
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    That's normal for Sphere Builders tech.

((snicker)) True. The ship is a testbed for Antiproton technologies. I've run it vanilla AP, Herald AP, and now Sphere Builder AP. That way I only need one set of Spire consoles.

Still, the ongoing revamp of older lock box T5s should mean a number of people are going to see a favorite ship upgraded soon-ish. Though I don't see as many Undine ships flying around these days as I would have hoped.

• Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Yes, I do use my favorite ships, when I'm not levelling others for the trait.

My favorite ship is one I get to know through the game. I can't pinpoint it on stats, it's just the feel "that build is fun". Haven't had a "pre game favorite", and while I'd love me some 23rd c ships, I don't even know whether I would use them that much if they didn't feel right - but then they would also stop being my favorites.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    The beauty of STO is that one can take from it so many ways to play a Starship Captain. They accomodate every type of
    play style, ship design, and command choice.

I pilot the ships that have the looks I like (TOS/TMP Federation fan), all other factors are secondary. :)
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    As has been well documented on these forums, I love the look of the Risian Corvette. I also think very highly of it's capabilities in combat. Great looking and handling little beast it is.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I use my all Fav my ship because I know how to play the game, and can turn anyT5-fleet T6 ship in this game into a murder bot 1000

Except for TMP Connie casue one it's hard and expense to get, and also they NEED TO REPAINT IT!!!

Also Repaint the Excelsior WHY hasn't this happened already
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

2) Not really. You can make ANYTHING in this game melt anything normal...even T1 ships. So honestly, if you can't make your favorite ship viable...the issue isn't the game...it's you. Get better.

I can agree that stats of a ship is easily overcome by a good solid build to make up for the bad stats, the deal breaker for me is boff seating if a ships seating is junk i avoid it, look at the orion marauder talk about bad boff seating theres not much i can do with it because of the boff seating , but hey it was free during one of the giveaways a while back.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    As much as I love the Excelsior class, the Resolute is one of the few T6 cruisers I don't own.

Why? Because I absolutely hate it's layout and consider it a total waste of Zen. Could I be competitive in it? of course.. but the issue always comes up when I have extra Zen that there is always something that's just a better use of that Zen.

Luckily, one of my other favorite ships is the Vengeance which happens to be awesome. I also really like the Odyssey class and my kit bash Arbiter, so I'm good there. On Romulans it's even easier because I also highly favor the Mogai and the T6 Morrigu is one of the best ships in the game.

I really do wish the Excelsior wasn't such a steaming pile of space garbage. If they even changed one of those Engineering stations to a Universal I would buy it in an instant.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    1: In the past, I chose based on my visual preference but I quickly learned to ditch that habit. Nowadays, I either go for pure performance on some characters and a healthy mix of performance, visuals, and theme.

2: As I slowly discovered how to actually set up a ship. I quickly became bothered with how pathetic the T5 Galaxy is. The Galaxy being my favorite ship and T5 being the top end at the time. Like I said above, I moved away from this mentality and went more for performance.

Also, the T6 versions of canon ships are much more flexible than their T5 counterparts. So the T6 canon ship layouts (that suck) don't bother me all that much.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Also, the T6 versions of canon ships are much more flexible than their T5 counterparts. So the T6 canon ship layouts (that suck) don't bother me all that much.

I agree with the exception of the Resolute (T6 Excelsior.) I swear they tried as hard as they could to make that ship absolutely suck. :(
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

I agree with the exception of the Resolute (T6 Excelsior.) I swear they tried as hard as they could to make that ship absolutely suck. :(
    The Resolute got the worst treatment with the lack of a universal boff seat and the engineering heavy emphasis. Luckily for me, I wouldn't have chosen any other ship if I had to choose one that would get the shaft.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I've got almost all my ships I've ever wanted. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the Breen line(missed each event, except this one, and didn't pull any of the Breen ships from the phoenix packs I bought), or the Olean/Olaen insectoid carrier. Don't have any of the Tholian ships yet either. But I do have my fleet Duvqu', and the Negh'var versions, all running Qudaj variant looks. Those, and a kitbashed Bortasqu', are my favorite designs.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I don't seem to ever have time for my main to fly my favorite ship, the Fleet Yamato. Never really cared for the looks of the Galaxy, but somehow that extra nacelle helps out in my mind, plus all the bells and whistles from the previous Galaxy versions just make it an entertaining ship to fly. Anyways, I have the whole ship set up with epic gear (except for those darned non-upgradeable hangar pets!?!) and I keep on getting other projects to work up. Right now, it's a Bulwark and a JHAS from the Phoenix Boxes. Before that, the WizKids promo ship, before that... And of course, next it'll be the QWW ship. Oh, and I never did finish running up the mastery on the Summer Space Trout. I think I want to try that trait, so I better get going on that soon...

So yeah, I have the ship ready, despite the sub-optional seating and stats, but it just sits in my roster, looking lonely...

I just shed a tear, excuse me for a moment...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    I fly one of my favorites, the Regent. I could care less about stats, as long as it's functionally survivable without extreme levels of uber gear. If I can fly PvE without Min/maxing my DPS and stand a relative chance of completing the mission without dying, then I'm satisfied with the stats.

All of my favorites seem to be the 2410 skin variant of the iconic hero ships: close enough to give me the nostalgia of those vessels, but different enough to make it new and remind me that it's 3 decades after Nemesis, with LOTS of new technological advancements.

Constitution (Refit) > Excalibur (the exception to the rule: I like 2409 skin better than 2410/Exeter skin)
    Ambassador > Guardian
    Galaxy > Venture
    Defiant > Valiant
    Intrepid > Bellerophon
    Sovereign > Regent

In my head, I try to visualize that all Fed ships have the 2410 paint job and that Starfleet isn't using 30-150 yo ships on a regular day-to-day basis. But, that's just me...
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    I fly my favourite, regardless of stats and how her stats have changed over the years. My flagship on my first toon, and my flagship overall. T6 (now) Sovereign Class USS Zuikaku :).
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    No I do not use my favorite ship. I keep that one in Dry Dock. So nothing bad ever happens to it. I use the ship I do not like most of all. Because that one deserves to be blown up and shot at.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    a) Both.

b) Yes, it does.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    1. Yes, I love my T6 Galaxy Dreadnought, thanks to the scene from 'All Good things'. The only time I am not flying it on my main, is when I am getting ship traits, but I will always return to my Galaxy X.

2. The only thing that bothers me about her, is the boff layout and her not being Intel. I would prefer the boff layout of the Paladin and Intel seating, but these a minor niggles.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Do I use my favorite ship? nope. After hunting for years, I still haven't found one I prefer yet, but it'll probably be something small and fast, with the potential to fall into Assault ship or Fighter catagories without actually being either of those. I'd use the fighters more, but they tend to go 'boom' too easily. It's when I use a decent ship that everyone else looks like they are fighting with cotton balls. It becomes very obvious how a good layout on the right ship affects gameplay. Still, even though the ship I use is good, it's not my favorite, just the most functional. STO kinda missed the mark on the types of ships I have an interest in in Star Trek. Defiant is close, but not quite.

Besides, one thing that has always bother the hell out of me with Defiant and DS9, is if that ship is so small and constantly undergoing upgrades - why aren't they using the old parts to make additional Defiant-class ships for the stupid space station? I mean, come on! You don't put ONE ship on a spacestation in the middle of a war zone hoping the Fleet will be nearby when you know it won't be. Common Sense laws just went right out the friggin window when they did that. and if they could manufacture the parts for one ship, then I know a Ferengi who was smart enough to set up shop with mass-production for DS9.

Rule of thumb: We are Humans. Humans want power. More ships = more power. *grunt*
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Do I use my favorite ship? nope. After hunting for years, I still haven't found one I prefer yet, but it'll probably be something small and fast, with the potential to fall into Assault ship or Fighter catagories without actually being either of those. I'd use the fighters more, but they tend to go 'boom' too easily.

tried the risan vette? hyper nimble and puts out a mean hurt
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I can agree that stats of a ship is easily overcome by a good solid build to make up for the bad stats, the deal breaker for me is boff seating if a ships seating is junk i avoid it, look at the orion marauder talk about bad boff seating theres not much i can do with it because of the boff seating , but hey it was free during one of the giveaways a while back.

Oh yes, I remember I was happy about the giveaway, because I didn't really have a ship for my Orion engineer (she was using the Kobali cruiser). Tried to make it work. Even got me the T5-U. Didn't help, can't make 'em seats work.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    xyquarze wrote: »

Oh yes, I remember I was happy about the giveaway, because I didn't really have a ship for my Orion engineer (she was using the Kobali cruiser). Tried to make it work. Even got me the T5-U. Didn't help, can't make 'em seats work.

its hard to love the tumorship... its just meh in SO many ways
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Do I use my favorite ship? nope. After hunting for years, I still haven't found one I prefer yet, but it'll probably be something small and fast, with the potential to fall into Assault ship or Fighter catagories without actually being either of those. I'd use the fighters more, but they tend to go 'boom' too easily.

tried the risan vette? hyper nimble and puts out a mean hurt

nope and wishing I had it. If it came out during the Summer event the last two years, I missed it. Last year due to focusing on TOS toon like an ijit, and the year before life got in the way.

Haven't checked to see if any are floating around, or even if they could be.