test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

K13 Past Blasts - not recommended

I reported this in the Support forum as a bug, but it may not be a bug. Regardless before you burn 166k+ dili you may want to see what it actually looks like. The East cabinet is fine, what I expected. The North cabinet is, umm, not fine.
IKhO5KI.png
wUuqr6d.png​​

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    Looks fine to me. If you're referring to the shadows on the disruptors... I think that would be from one of the grate things in the room.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I don't get it?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The lower cabinet all the models are grey. There is no color. To me it looks like 3d models with no textures. I can't think of any example in TOS where weapons were not bright or at least tinted.

I've already bought the extension. This is just informational for those considering doing the same. Here is some very interesting background regardless, fun just to see the original props and how even the Smithsonian was once fooled.​​
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    The lower cabinet all the models are grey. There is no color. To me it looks like 3d models with no textures. I can't think of any example in TOS where weapons were not bright or at least tinted.

I've already bought the extension. This is just informational for those considering doing the same. Here is some very interesting background regardless, fun just to see the original props and how even the Smithsonian was once fooled.​​

Those are klingon disruptor weapons, which were grey and silver in the TOS era. Google it and you'll see some examples.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Those are klingon disruptors, they're supposed to be grey.
  • Options
    Those are klingon disruptor weapons, which were grey and silver in the TOS era. Google it and you'll see some examples.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Not in TOS. Again please check this link: http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-go-out-on-limb-my-production.html

We see flat grey matte in some of the later movies. But in TOS not only were they more silver, they were actually chromed and in some cases tinted with a blood-red rust. In at least one episode they were chromed with a dull gold trim.

Anyway. I'm hardly a canon guy. I just watched the shows, I just wanted a display cabinet where I could see the displays instead of dull shadows.

If you want a display cabinet where the displays fade into the cabinet color, you'll be pleased.

At minimum maybe the cabinet color could be changed so we see the displays.​​
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Good thing about those optional nick knack projects being optional so you can put resources elsewhere till you have a surplus.

K-13 for all its temporal whoop whoops seems very small and in my opinion a little drab however i cannot complain about the option for more fleet marks in a day.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2016

The Klingon TOS ground disruptors have a shiny, silvery look to them. They've always been like that as they were a reward from one of the old story arc missions close to launch. But they were not dull grey weapons looking like textureless models.

Found the old mission, Night of the Comet, long before even LOR came out.

Canon-wise from the TV show itself, they were shiny.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Klingon_Disruptor_23rd_Century.jpg
    latest?cb=20051003125646&path-prefix=en

XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

The Klingon TOS ground disruptors have a shiny, silvery look to them. They've always been like that as they were a reward from one of the old story arc missions close to launch. But they were not dull grey weapons looking like textureless models.

Do consider lighting. That image is in sunlight. The rack is dimly lit even the parts that aren't covered by the honeycomb shadow.

The props could perhaps be a lighter shade of grey, but the difference isn't so great as to justify telling people not to build it.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Maybe some reflectance map is off??, maybe @tacofangs can take a look, could be the lighting or something, when he have more time, pretty bussy, from what i know :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User

Do consider lighting. That image is in sunlight. The rack is dimly lit even the parts that aren't covered by the honeycomb shadow.

The props could perhaps be a lighter shade of grey, but the difference isn't so great as to justify telling people not to build it.

I had these weapons for years- they matched the TOS photos- bright silver. It's not the lighting, Cryptic screwed them up.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    If you're paying 166,000 refined dilithium for one of these guns are they one shot one kill? Why do they warrant such ridiculous prices?
  • Options
    I didn't do that. I simply posted the images, suggested I don't recommend it. I didn't "tell" anyone anything. Showing information is what learning is all about.

If I know Cryptic they will clean it up. These folks care. I'm not one of the folks who claim otherwise. This is information you can use or ignore.​​
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    If you're paying 166,000 refined dilithium for one of these guns are they one shot one kill? Why do they warrant such ridiculous prices?

That's the cost of slotting the Project, silly. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    It is a decorative wall rack in the fleet holding. It is not a weapon.

And the cost is based on an assumed 25 people in the fleet chipping in at ~6,600each. Sadly most fleets don't have 25 people willing to chip in, so like two or three people pay the whole price.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

Nice article. I wish however they would have used the correct series name Genisis Climber Mospeada for the series that the model was from that was the source of the Ferengi pistol instead of the butcher job Robotech was.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »

Nice article. I wish however they would have used the correct series name Genisis Climber Mospeada for the series that the model was from that was the source of the Ferengi pistol instead of the butcher job Robotech was.
    You could send an email. I've done that in the past when I noticed things that needed fixed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    ssbn655 wrote: »

They wouldn't use a Japanese name for the English localized version. Over here it was part of the Robotech line, so it was Robotech. That's almost like saying they shouldn't call Optimus Prime anything other than his original Japanese name Convoy. Here in the states we know him As Optimus Prime. Likewise anyone growing up back then who watched Robotech would identify it as Robotech and not Mospeada.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Not in TOS. Again please check this link: http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-go-out-on-limb-my-production.html

We see flat grey matte in some of the later movies. But in TOS not only were they more silver, they were actually chromed and in some cases tinted with a blood-red rust. In at least one episode they were chromed with a dull gold trim.

Anyway. I'm hardly a canon guy. I just watched the shows, I just wanted a display cabinet where I could see the displays instead of dull shadows.

If you want a display cabinet where the displays fade into the cabinet color, you'll be pleased.

At minimum maybe the cabinet color could be changed so we see the displays.​​

You said that there wasn't any color, I was simply saying that Klingon weapons of the TOS era didn't have any color on them in any of the episodes, so besides the lack of silver - which I agree is lacking (though the weapons appear to have some shiny bits, they aren't that pronounced. Of course, they're in the dark, so it's hard to tell) - the weapons props are actually mostly accurate.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    The weapons definitely have their materials/textures. They just aren't very shiny, and the lighting is dark.

Here's a close up:
    31566602611_022e159398_b.jpg

And here's the material in our material editor, with exterior lighting:
    31566590401_a3acee4fd8_b.jpg
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Remember, these items have been sitting on that shelf for a very, VERY long time.

It's most likely that a lot of dust has built up and dulled the shine, not to mention that air alone tends to dull shiny surfaces after a couple hundred years or so.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    Remember, these items have been sitting on that shelf for a very, VERY long time.

It's most likely that a lot of dust has built up and dulled the shine, not to mention that air alone tends to dull shiny surfaces after a couple hundred years or so.

B)
    The other rack displays shiny colorful weapons.​​
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The weapons definitely have their materials/textures. They just aren't very shiny, and the lighting is dark.

Oh my. Aren't very shiny is not only an understatement- it's the wrong look for these weapons.

Since Lightning 2.0 I've come to believe tacofangs is a pod person and I wished we could get the real one back.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    tacofangs wrote: »

Oh my. Aren't very shiny is not only an understatement- it's the wrong look for these weapons.

Since Lightning 2.0 I've come to believe tacofangs is a pod person and I wished we could get the real one back.

Hey, hey, do not speak ill of Epic Taco MK XIV!!, i get the look was to create and old, kinda rusted texture, those weapons are retrofitted not new..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!