test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is with the massive lack of content this year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    'Perception is 90% of the Law.' :) Seriously, math doesn't play into it that much. To me, it feels like several months ago that I did the last story-line mission; I bet the OP is coming at it from the same angle.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Cryptic has a quite a few wanted ads posted on their hiring page, no doubt in part because of the success of console port. I expect things will only get better from here.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    You obviously weren't around back in 2012.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,115 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Frankly it does not matter if you care about the consoles or not. Fact is that it is work that had to be done by the dev team which they did while still giving us more story missions & other content on PC than they did last year. The OP has no ground to stand on.

To play "Devil's Advocate": I don't care for good reasons why I don't get as much content as I want to. If I don't get new content in game, I'll be unhappy. Understanding why some (perceived) thing is happening isn't the same as being happy with it.

Luckily we got enough content. More than enough if you ask me. Still haven't been able to get all my old toons around to completing their Temporal War arc.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    The new lighting system and console import doesn't matter a lot in relation to new story content since those features are more UI and gameplay related rather than art assets, environment creation, and story development. It is not like Cryptic has to recreate a new ESD for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 versions of the game, but they would likely have to recreate unique animations and gameplay mechanics that are present in a specific mission.

It's still a massive technical feat even if the environment artists aren't front and center. But that's really beside the point for the OP. We are not in fact lacking "content" this year, so why quibble about the consoles?

I am quibbling about the excuse used that there is a "lack of content" due to the consoles and lighting. Even if Cryptic didn't do the console port and lighting this year, there still would be 14 missions which is more than last year. Although if you include revamps, then technically 2015 has more missions than 2016 since the OP missed the Cardassian Struggle Revamps. Of course, that is removing 13 missions and replacing it with 4 new missions. At least 2016 hasn't removed any missions unlike 2013, 2014, and 2015.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I am confused...isn't 14 greater than 11? Did they change how math works somehow? I mean really...what is going on here. I mean it really can't be that we have somebody that is so bloody stupid that they don't know that 14 is greater than 11 can it? Because obviously, we need to nuke t he department of education is this is the level of stupidity they are churning out.

Shh... It's magic. Come, sit down and watch. The OP is about to show us his yo-yo tricks again.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,892 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    'Perception is 90% of the Law.' :) Seriously, math doesn't play into it that much. To me, it feels like several months ago that I did the last story-line mission; I bet the OP is coming at it from the same angle.

Perception is also most easily fooled. :tongue:

We've had more new story content this year than last. If there's a serious "dry spell" (ie. us not getting another episode with the most recent Crystalline or Winter events, that's pretty much the timetable you're working with) it's surely an artifact of how the episodes have been packaged (ie. lumped together in AOY, so there's fewer to trail off with at the end of the year.) There's not much that can be done about that, because to lessen the "dry spell" feeling of this moment (focusing only on Cryptic's featured episodes) AOY would have needed to been paired down by at least one mission. That's counter to the forum refrain that, if it wasn't sufficient, then AOY needed more stuff to live up to LoR.

So we're basically at the point of arguing against expansions, just in airing a feeling. That's not to say that feeling is simply wrong (we haven't in fact had a mission for a little bit), but it's probably wisest to think about it with context in mind too. We're just in a different release pattern right now, there's nothing objectively wrong with that. :)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Luckily we got enough content. More than enough if you ask me. Still haven't been able to get all my old toons around to completing their Temporal War arc.
    Well...

I have not finished the Temporal War on my characters because I have not finished the Delta arc on most of them.

...then I have the Iconian War arc (ugh).

I recently had to replay several of the Breen missions to get the set. They were more enjoyable to me than the more recent content. Even "Cold Case" (where you have to system hop) seemed more fun than most of the Iconian Railroad...
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Now that we've cleared that there was not actually less content this year than last year, all I am left to say is:
    I prefer a regular content schedule (like monthly new content) over content in a few isolated drops.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I prefer a regular content schedule (like monthly new content) over content in a few isolated drops.

Maybe if the OP had said that this thread would have gone a different way.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah... 14 < 11... math of the future...

Having said that I can kinda glad this year that release of new content has been concentrated to a few months rather than slowly over the months as in 2015. That allowed me to focus on other things in real life.

Hopefully for next year though, content release will be on a more regular schedule. However, I do recall Captain Gecko stating that the release an episode per month back in 2015 was extremely hectic for the developers since it typically takes 6 weeks to develop and test each mission.
  • Options
    aurethilaurethil Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    And don't forget the klingon ice fishing ^_^
  • Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    didn't they recode the entire game for 2 other platforms?? that's right they did..
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,892 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    bergins wrote: »

Maybe if the OP had said that this thread would have gone a different way.

Probably not...
    1. The point is still using a heavily slanted definition of content (which we talked about.)
    2. The starting premise is factually incorrect (which we talked about.)
    3. I've already been talking about release frequency in my posts.

Anyone may prefer one thing or another, but for that to have any relevance to a group discussion there needs to be a point somewhere. Ie. maybe the game should do more of X and less of Y. But you know what's going to happen soon? More regularly spaced content, because the reason we had "a few isolated drops" is because of AGENTS OF YESTERDAY!

Remember, context is important.

What else needs to be said? Should we have no expansions at all? How is that fair to people who prefer larger content drops or the types of stories that can evolve from big releases? Others may prefer something else, but if that's all there is to discussion then there's nothing that can be done with it. The OP is still going to fizzle because the basic idea doesn't have a lot of weight behind it. Either the situation is completely fine or self correcting. "Content dry spells" are not an actionable problem.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    this has to be a joke right, with all of the events we have been having especially the temporal recruit event I am having a hard job keeping up with all the new missions that have come out this year, I haven't even finished the iconian story line with some of my characters and have yet to play future proof at all.

I guess it depends on how long you can play every day though I would class myself as a fairly high player after doing all the events, doff, admiralty other stuff I hardly have time to play many missions in the hour or two I get to play most days.
    unless I happen to have an occasional free day when I can spend a lot longer on sto its pretty hard to fit in story missions.
    I am still way behind with most of my temporal recruit stuff having only just played up to skirmish with him.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.