test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why did they kill the Red Alerts?

So why did they kill the Red Alerts in sector space? They were great for lvling, and were fun to play. Now they reward almost nothing and no bonus XP from them and you have to que for one...
1e3sni150tar.jpg

Comments

• Options
    letsfadeawayletsfadeaway Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Only sensible reasons I can think of is that it had something to do with how the consoles deal with queues or that the "now fighting at level X" was making that stuff too easy.
    Of course maybe the numbers showed that people were getting masteries too fast or some other nonsense reasons statistics and numbers coughed up.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Because apparently almost everything has be 'queue to participate'.

Well, for better or worse, this does solve the problem of being the only one in a Red Alert.
    While this was most likely not a problem for many veteran players, it did pose a problem for newbies.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    questerius wrote: »

Well, for better or worse, this does solve the problem of being the only one in a Red Alert.
    While this was most likely not a problem for many veteran players, it did pose a problem for newbies.
    Well, it did pose a problem for newbies just once: They enter, they get trashed, they leave, they come back once they have reached a proper level.

I don't remember if it was a Red Alert, but I do remember an instance back when the Crystalline Entity was using its old model and appearing on the map, where I entered it and didn't even get time for the warp-in cutscene to finish before I was blown up to pieces.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The problem with red alerts?
    Because there was no forced teams, the first high-DPS player to show up got all the goodies. The rest got a little xp, 10 marks, and a 30 min cooldown,

I was that player quite often, and once I realized how this works, always felt bad about it. Esp in Borg RA, where people almost never teamed and it was possible to kill 3 spawns by yourself while the rest just finished one.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,277 Arc User
    nebfab wrote: »
    Because there was no forced teams, the first high-DPS player to show up got all the goodies. The rest got a little xp, 10 marks, and a 30 min cooldown,

I was that player quite often, and once I realized how this works, always felt bad about it. Esp in Borg RA, where people almost never teamed and it was possible to kill 3 spawns by yourself while the rest just finished one.

i still kill 1-2 before the others bring the rest
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Borg now gives more of the reduced XP than the Tholian reduced XP (used to be the other way around). The Temporal Marauders disappeared completely. The Tholian recently was changed to make the reward a complete Mark choice selection instead of either Fleet, Romulan, or Nakura. It now also awards a Normal Queue R&D Pack.

Of course all these changes have been made without a word from Cryptic.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nixie50 wrote: »

But now the entire team gets the xp. At least if I understand xp mechanic correctly.
  • Options
    Yes they do all get it as they are teamed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

As opposed to the new rules, when no high-DPS players show up and the clueless newbies whine they can't finish it at all. Great job, Cryptic.

Hint for newbies: The alerts suck now, go play ISA or CCA.
    nixie50 wrote: »

But now the entire team gets the xp. At least if I understand xp mechanic correctly.

Without the XP boost effect, nobody cares.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    becasue.... they can :P
  • Options
    You haven't been into these Red Alerts recently I take it? They are ending faster than before, so I don't believe that the high DPSers are avoiding them. They do them and get out quick.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    You haven't been into these Red Alerts recently I take it? They are ending faster than before, so I don't believe that the high DPSers are avoiding them. They do them and get out quick.
    No, I don't wait in line for unrewarding filler queues. I have seen people complaining here that the alerts are populated by weak players who can't finish it.

If high DPSers are playing them again, I have no idea why.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Without the XP boost effect, nobody cares.

That's a completely different problem. And something I'd support.

As for whether or not there are high-DPs players queueing... It depends. In my experience, nobody's there on weekends, not even newbies, but at certain times on weekdays the odds of getting a decent team are actually quite good.

And, of course, after all the talk (not by you, but there are people) about how newbies don't belong in ISA, partly because of what it used to be, and partly because DPS leagues use it as a benchmark, good luck attracting genuine newbs to it. Although in fact it's easier than Tholian alert in many ways.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    questerius wrote: »

And joining in just before unimatrix is destroyed. Open joining works for something like a battlezone or event zone which continually cycles, but for a single mission it's free license for chaos theory to mess things up.

Hint for newbies: The alerts suck now, go play ISA or CCA.
    Hint for newbies: don't listen to this person. Going into ISA or CCA without any clue what to do can be a frustrating experience (also to your team in the case of ISA). "Veterans" will recommend these only because they maximize rewards per unit time, though this is contingent on first having adequate builds and the wherewithal to participate effectively. In fact though these queues both have unusual mechanics which you will have to learn in addition to gameplay mechanics at the end-game level. They are not good starting grounds.

Alerts, Solonae zones, and normal PVE queues are much better ways to ease into end-game STO.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    If anything has "killed" Red Alerts, it's power creep. Truly high DPS players carve through it so quickly as to remove essentially any challenge, especially from the Borg one. Now-a-days it's just a "queue and get some marks in five minutes". I've had a few times where the cigar ship was dead before I could even get my ship turned around and into firing range.

Actually had a Borg Red Alert earlier this week that didn't have any insane DPSers in it, and it was an absolute BLAST! We ended up winning with literally one second left, and I spent all of it feeling like I was pulling out all stops to help us overcome the Borg. It was everything I remember the Borg RA being back when it was first introduced.

As to how to "fix" this... not sure you really can. It'd almost certainly require a dramatic change to high-end DPS, but doing so would absolutely risk angering long time players who have worked long and hard so they can faceroll Borg cubes like they're 8472 in a Voyager episode. Personally I'd really love to see DPS "soft-capped", overall lowering it across the board but leaving today's top ships still the top damaging ships. Awesome gear and skills will still put you above the "soft" cap, but getting higher and higher DPS gets harder and harder, with more and more incremental gains, the higher you push above it. Best damagers are still the best damagers, but with it harder to just slice through everything we'd once again have a need for a least a little emphasis on other ship builds. Science vessel debuffs and heals, Cruisers tanking shots, all of that could actually maybe serve a purpose to help win rather than becoming relegated well behind the "just kill everything faster" approach we have.

But I don't know how you'd actually introduce such a "soft cap", and it'd still run into the issue of player alienation. So guess I'll just keep being happy with my easy rewards and hoping to still find the rare RA where we actually have to work to succeed.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    boachev wrote: »
    As to how to "fix" this... not sure you really can. It'd almost certainly require a dramatic change to high-end DPS.

There is a self-adjusting factor though. Without high rewards there isn't much incentive (besides "oh, shiny red button! *click*") for high-end DPS people to enter lower-tier events. That's not a universal block but it mitigates the damage someone who can do on their own (they don't show up as frequently).

Cryptic might even take that a step further by creating a handicap difficulty setting that scales with some measure of your DPS output. Select it and your damage scales way down with a significant reward bonus to incentivize and compensate (XP boost, dilithium or EC per kill, ect.). Like what we have now with difficulty settings, but universally applicable and more relevant to those who've graduated their equipment up from random loot. It might also come with a small public icon for bragging rights' sake.

Naturally, not everyone would opt in, but the point is just to decrease the overall number of high-end DPS players entering into low-tier events to the point where it really doesn't matter. A hard block or universal rebalance would have implementation problems, but voluntary adjustments could get STO into near enough the right shape without alienating (they just have to be sufficiently incentivised so they have a population-level impact.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User
    The choice of marks combined with a daily bonus is nothing to sneeze at so the rewards aren't that bad.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    As to how to "fix" this... not sure you really can. It'd almost certainly require a dramatic change to high-end DPS.

There is a self-adjusting factor though. Without high rewards there isn't much incentive (besides "oh, shiny red button! *click*") for high-end DPS people to enter lower-tier events. That's not a universal block but it mitigates the damage someone who can do on their own (they don't show up as frequently).

Cryptic might even take that a step further by creating a handicap difficulty setting that scales with some measure of your DPS output. Select it and your damage scales way down with a significant reward bonus to incentivize and compensate (XP boost, dilithium or EC per kill, ect.). Like what we have now with difficulty settings, but universally applicable and more relevant to those who've graduated their equipment up from random loot. It might also come with a small public icon for bragging rights' sake.

Naturally, not everyone would opt in, but the point is just to decrease the overall number of high-end DPS players entering into low-tier events to the point where it really doesn't matter. A hard block or universal rebalance would have implementation problems, but voluntary adjustments could get STO into near enough the right shape without alienating (they just have to be sufficiently incentivised so they have a population-level impact.)

Huh... I actually really like that. Introduce the "soft cap" as an optional incentive, make the incentive nice and balanced...

Mull it over, Cryptic.
  • Options
    If anything has "killed" Red Alerts, it's power creep. Truly high DPS players carve through it so quickly as to remove essentially any challenge, especially from the Borg one. Now-a-days it's just a "queue and get some marks in five minutes". I've had a few times where the cigar ship was dead before I could even get my ship turned around and into firing range.

Except "queue and get some marks in five minutes" is not actually any good. Because CCA will get you more in far less time.

Alerts were just fine as long as they were open instances. Nothing in a queue will beat CCA.

Or maybe I should say alerts were just fine before the sector revamp. Everything done to them since has made them gradually worse and worse until now they're useless.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Except "queue and get some marks in five minutes" is not actually any good. Because CCA will get you more in far less time.

Alerts were just fine as long as they were open instances. Nothing in a queue will beat CCA.

Or maybe I should say alerts were just fine before the sector revamp. Everything done to them since has made them gradually worse and worse until now they're useless.

CCA gives choice of two marks...borg RA gives choice of ALL marks...and the first run gives you DOUBLE daily bonus (borg and your choice). Combine that with a CCA run, Tholian RA and a the acamar patrol and you can have 5 daily mark bonus done in under 15 min. With almost 4k dil to boot. Combine that with the rep dil reward and you almost have you daily dil limit before you even touch the admiralty and doff system. If you can't make use of these new RA system...you ain't thinking hard enough.
    I never go out of my way to chase daily bonuses. I have better things to do. Marks are totally bleh reward anyway. Such a hassle converting them into useful dil might as well not bother.
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    No, I don't wait in line for unrewarding filler queues. I have seen people complaining here that the alerts are populated by weak players who can't finish it.

If high DPSers are playing them again, I have no idea why.

Okay, you've seen people complaining.

I've played dozens of RAs the last couple of months. In that time I've had:
    • 2-3 challenging runs
    • 1 failure (Tholians, they were ontop of our spawn and I was the only person with the sense to immediately pop my defenses, get to a distance, then start fighting them without the entire fleet on my head).
    • Dozens and dozens of Red Alerts where at least one, frequently more, players join who can melt a Borg cube in five seconds, trivializing any and all challenge.

Higher DPS players are absolutely queuing up for RAs and knocking them out with incredible speed and ease. It's almost exclusively been my experience with RAs recently. And while it's hard to tell what percentage of people actually playing in RAs are influencing this outcome, it's *at least* at a minimum of 20%-40% of players queuing up for em'. In reality, it's probably higher.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User

I like how they work now.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    What I don't understand is why all the Cubes and Spheres, etc. Warp out and leave the Unimaxtrix on its own (with its spawns).

Shouldn't they at least make some effort to help protect it. Would they run away if it was a Command Diamond with the Queen on board?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tPc6qaEQ600
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    If this is all because of the complaint that you can't gain super-quick points for starship mastery, and now have to actually do a bit more playing of the game in order to get your mastery levels... go sit in the corner and cry.
    (Argala-Farn-Borg Battlefield will get you 5 tiers of mastery in a couple of hours)

The Red Alerts are actually played quite often by many people. Now, maybe the ultra high dps people don't play them much, but who cares? I can go into a Borg RA and either clear out two groups by myself before the Unimatrix spawns or occasionally watch someone do it faster. The same goes for Tholian RAs, either way they're quick, and easy, and the choice of marks is very nice. The Tholian RA is a nice way to get a Fleet Mark daily bonus.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    It's dead Jim! No sign of life here. It's as if something sucked the life out of them. A being, a creature of some sort.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I don't like the idea of the change, but in practice, the Borg one pops almost immediately (within a minute anyway) and the Tholian one within 5.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    They didn't kill anything. This was a good change.

Perhaps they could remove the restriction that you need five players though. That's something that could be done for many queues also.