test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D-printing STO ships

Eucl3D originally announced 3D-printing of your ships would be available from within STO in November. It's December now and still no announcement of that coming online. Did that get cancelled, or has there been any other news on that front since then?

Comments

• boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Been eagerly awaiting an update on this.

Hopefully if things didn't work out here then they'll push forward with someone else in the future. I was really excited when I first saw this, and I have a hard time believing it wouldn't be a great money maker for all parties involved.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    No doubt they mucked it up. This company is not very good.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016
    I don't think the issue is with cryptic or the printing company, most likely an issue with licensing from CBS for merchandise. Currently the Cryptic license provides support for software not consumer merchandise. :s

Well its based on 3D model's of ships in game from TV/Movies, hopefully merchandising arrangements with CBS/Paramount are finalized, perhaps a licensing fee per ship's printed based on copyright owner.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    I don't think the issue is with cryptic or the printing company, most likely an issue with licensing from CBS for merchandise. Currently the Cryptic license provides support for software not consumer merchandise. :s

If that's true, then this could be a situation where they made the announcement before securing all the necessary licenses ... which is an absolutely terrible idea, but also wouldn't surprise me tbh
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Or they got everything set up and the company went bankrupt afterwards or left with the money they got from the agreement. That's not the first time something similar happened for STO. Before Cryptic, it happened to Perpetual.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I dunno, it seems to me that if the deal fell through they would've updated their website and removed the STO link. Whatever the case is, I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't end up happening. Custom ships is something I've wanted since launch.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    The Eucl3D STO web page is still up, it just doesn't have a launch date on it anymore. That tells me they're still planning to launch but don't know when yet. (As mentioned above, if the deal fell through they probably would have either removed the page completely, or just abandoned it so it would still show a November launch date.)
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2016

If that's true, then this could be a situation where they made the announcement before securing all the necessary licenses ... which is an absolutely terrible idea, but also wouldn't surprise me tbh

This is Cryptic, who are widely known for shooting themselves in the foot with a shotgun.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    Much want this.
    Wish Cryptic would at least give an update on where this is at.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • chewmagnachewmagna Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I worked in the 3d printing field for a year (co-owned a company), and I can say with some confidence that this may never actually happen. Aside from the licensing issues (very costly), it just isn't feasible to mass produce things via printing due to the cost and time involved. It makes much more sense to mold and cast instead. For one offs, prototyping, and hobbyists, printing is great. But once you decide you want to sell something, and a lot of it, the margin for profit absolutely plummets to the point of actually losing money, unless you charge obscene prices.

You'd almost be better off buying a cheap printer and learning how to do it yourself. There are even guides out there that show you how to pull a mesh from a game, convert it, and print it. You just can't sell it because licensing stuff. Another option is you can design it yourself (you'd have to learn to 3d model because you can't use protected property) and have a site like shapeways print it for you. But depending on the size and complexity of the model, and what finish or material you want it printed with, you're still better off buying your own printer.

I plugged one of my designers into their site one time just to see the pricing, and depending on what settings I picked I could easily jack the price into the thousands of dollars. For something I can hide in my hand.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Pure speculation on my part. But I think they may be having technical issues with all the ship skins we have at our disposal, and all the kitbashes.
    Could be causing them more headaches then they anticipated.

I'm not sure licensing is the issue.. could be, but at this point I'm thinking its more of a technical issue.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Would they really do that ? Put out a press release without talking to their contacts a CBS ?
    That would be a strange way to conduct business. I suppose it's a possibility though.. One would think they know better, then to get too far ahead of themselves..

I mean, it's almost asking to be sued.. or at the very least a cease and desist order.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    If licensing is the issue, it may even be the CBS/Paramount divide rearing its ugly head once again, now that Kelvin Timeline ships are playable.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    The models they show on the website are pretty rough.
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I don't think the issue is with cryptic or the printing company, most likely an issue with licensing from CBS for merchandise. Currently the Cryptic license provides support for software not consumer merchandise.

If CBS milks the most out of this effort then the prices for these models are going to sky rocket to unobtainable levels. Why because that's CBS and they've become rotten to the core. All they see is $, $$, $$$ and more $$$$. They've gone so far from Gene Roddenberry's original vision I don't see Star Trek anymore... All I see is a politically correct, money grabber.
    The models they show on the website are pretty rough.

That's par for the course when it comes to printing. With FFF printers (the most common type, a.k.a. filament printers) the only way to increase the detail would be to increase the scale of the models, or use a very low layer height with a super small nozzle (which would make the price skyrocket due to the increased print time). Or go with SLA/DLP/resin printers, which would also dramatically increase the price due to the cost of the printers, materials, and post processing. Then there's stuff like the Mcor printers that actually glue layers of pre-colored paper together to make your object, but those printers are pricey! They make incredible prints though.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I would think the hold up pivots on the twin facts~

A ) they're got serious issues with the 'tree ring' pattern the process was leaving in the saucers sections because they're not grinding out any kind of beveling between the layers or polishing them in any way before painting - to the point they're now deliberately fuzzing their images to hide the issue.

B ) after the announcement the vast majority of posters here proudly announced they'd never pay anything close to enough to make the process worth pursuing. This audience is a dry well not worth servicing when it comes to physical collectibles... or tries very hard to appear that way.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Why because that's CBS and they've become rotten to the core. All they see is $, $$, $$$ and more $$$$. They've gone so far from Gene Roddenberry's original vision I don't see Star Trek anymore...

Actually, in a bitter twist of irony, seeking '$, $$, $$$ and more $$$$' is following Gene Roddenberry's original vision to the letter.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Hope it comes out ok, I'd like to get me a model of the Risan Luxury. ^_^
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    nikeix wrote: »
    I would think the hold up pivots on the twin facts~

A ) they're got serious issues with the 'tree ring' pattern the process was leaving in the saucers sections because they're not grinding out any kind of beveling between the layers or polishing them in any way before painting - to the point they're now deliberately fuzzing their images to hide the issue.

B ) after the announcement the vast majority of posters here proudly announced they'd never pay anything close to enough to make the process worth pursuing. This audience is a dry well not worth servicing when it comes to physical collectibles... or tries very hard to appear that way.

That "tree ring" pattern is just something that comes with the territory of printing. The only way around it is to print at ultra high quality, 0.1mm layer height or lower (which as said before, vastly increases the print time, which in turn would drive the prices through the roof), or print in a material like ABS that allows sanding or smoothing with acetone vapor or some of the gimmick products out there. Most prints are done using PLA, which is easy to print with and can be easily used in cheaper printers, but allows for almost no post processing as it can't be easily sanded and smoothing products don't work on it.

In order to get a good print that most people would be satisfied with, it would have to be done in ABS, which requires a more expensive printer (needs a heated bed, and preferably an enclosed print area unless you really know what you're doing), and after that every print would require hours upon hours of post processing (support removal, sanding, more sanding, more sanding, painting, sealing). It all falls back to what I said earlier, it would be far more efficient and cost effective to just mold and cast. Printing for profit just isn't very profitable unless you have very gullible customers with really deep pockets.

The whole thing sounds like someone had a neat and cool idea, but really had no idea what it entails. It makes sense though, the way printers are marketed they make it sound like it's so easy. Just hit print, and presto, cool things happen. That just isn't how it works. There's a LOT of work involved, and that's after you spend days, weeks, or months learning how to use the damn things.
    I'm going to remain optimistic. World of Warcraft has offered a similar service for years now, and while Blizzard has a helluva lot more financial muscle than Cryptic, they also have a much, much wider scope of what to print (every piece of armor, weapon, race, gender, physical characteristics, and poses in all combinations).

So it's definitely doable. I think, if anything, if there's a delay it's simply because Eucl3D is figuring out how to meet all of their demands.

And I hope they do, I'd absolutely love to have a model of the USS Novosibirsk on display, and as a Cryptic-created Nimbus class vessel it's not like I have any substitute options. It's not a vessel I can just buy any old Star Trek model of and re-paint, she currently only exists within the digital world of STO.
    The World of Warcraft observation ties to my second point: the audience being served. WOW has 10 times the audience or more. All of them involved in a PAID game with a strong sense of financial commitment to their characters already in place. Plus a cultural identity that takes pride in the fact there are so many of them you have to work your way through a raffle just to be considered for a print order. In that crowd the cold financial reality your individualized statuette is gonna set you back $150 or more doesn't instantly cause heads to go all asplodey.

There's also the issue that humanoid characters are comparatively complex and mostly vertically aligned things - both of which hide the tree ring'ing of the cutting process while the broad smooth hulls of Fed designs are just about perfect for showcasing the problem.

I do hope they get it sorted out. I'd like an Eclipse and Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer and I'm trying to go in eyes open about both the issues and the costs.
  • pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    So eucl3D printing company is closing. I guess no ships for us. Was so looking forward to getting some of my ships.

https://eucl3d.com/
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    :'(
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    pappy02u wrote: »
    So eucl3D printing company is closing. I guess no ships for us. Was so looking forward to getting some of my ships.

welll thats disappointing.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    If the demand really exists, someone will move to sweep that money off the table and into their pockets.
    pappy02u wrote: »

Damn.

Cryptic, I really and truly hope you guys are already looking for other people who can deliver this service.

Just... damn.
This discussion has been closed.