test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 243: "Sick and Spin!"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 243: "Sick and Spin!" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Lots of Star Trek gaming news and discussions as the crew talk through this week’s news from Star Trek Online (Console news: 1:04:03), Star Trek Timelines (1:13:09) plus Listener Feedback (1:26:00).

Our community questions this week are:
1. Do you find it helpful that Tribbles posts episode releases to all the social media groups and sites?
2. If you play Star Trek Timelines, what do you enjoy most about the game?
3. If you could add any mini game/queue to the Star Trek Online Winter event what would it be?

LLAP
Tribbles243.png

Comments

• memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Sorry for the confusion last week. I didn't specify the information I was looking for. I am a console player looking for some tips on the doffing system and Admiralty system introduced last week. These are poorly explained.. I love your show and have listened every week at work. Though I wish it included more tips for consoles players. Priority one ignores us.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    @memnoch
    That's a good Idea... we could devote a portion of Combat Log to these systems for console players. These Systems are not all that easily explained when starting and most PC users have played it so long they don't remember the confusion of starting the system way-back when.

Also a reminder to all.... There's no show this week due to the US Holiday. over half the crew will be on various "Away missions" :P​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    1.) Personally? For me I don't find it helpful. If I check the STO forums and don't see it up yet, then I just go to the Twitch archive. Twitch and the forum (with the link that leads to the Holosuite Media site) are all I really use.

3.) I agree with Timber Wolf. The gingerbread starships sound like a fun idea. I can picture something like being in a snowglobe, seeing Q's giant face outside as we amuse him with our gumdrop torpedo and peppermint array shenanigans. Another thing I'd like to see more of is some kind of game relating to ice skating. Remember that if you equip the Frozen Boots and turn them on while on the frozen lake, you will start to skate. Jumping will make you do tricks. I think it's a shame to not have some sort of mini game attached to it. Perhaps have some rings to jump through and goalposts to skate through. Sounds like it could be fun.

Hey, look at that. I was right about the sweaters. I'll definitely be collecting them.

Feedback

Phoenix Prize Pack

It's the infinity lockbox again but with event items. For the really rare stuff such as ships, I can definitely understand why they chose to do this; to the point where I'm actually glad they're bringing back this stuff. However, when I scrolled down to see things such as the V.S.S. Tanius admiralty card or Cochrane's Shotgun, I'm left scratching my head. I don't see why the smaller stuff needs to be tied to this box.
    • Players that participate in Primary Events (Summer/Winter/Anniversary) are awarded: Account-Bound Ship
    • Players that participate in Minor Events (Mirror Invasion/Crystalline Entity/Into The Breach) are awarded: Character-Bound item

I can't be the only one that sees something wrong with this.

If someone was there to participate in the primary events, you are rewarded with a pretty big account-bound prize. At the same time, if someone was there to participate in the minor events, you're rewarded with a small character-bound item. What I tend to hear is that it keeps players busy with the queue. I get that but I still play it on more than just my main for the dil, marks, and R&D material packs. My gripe is when I create a new alt and they don't have access to any of the event rewards my other characters have.

It's a very unsatisfying feeling when you make a new character (whether it's for Agents of Yesterday or a new character in general), realizing that you have access to all these cool account unlocked event ships you've worked for, act like "Hey, this is pretty sweet. Thanks a bunch, Cryptic!"... but then you remember you can't use something like the Crystalline Energy Torpedo.

I'm just slightly peeved is all. I'm glad that event ships are account-bound if you were originally there, but because I have to pay an unknown amount of dil and pray to the RNG Gods just so my newer alts can have the smaller rewards that my three faction mains already own even after I was there at those events...
    kRmhzRc.gif

The worst part about it is that these are single prize tokens. They're account bound, but they turn character-bound after you choose your prize. I may have softened up to the idea if unlocking anything below Ultra Rare quality meant that it was an automatic account unlock, but that isn't the case.

Having said all that, I'm still delighted that they did this. The purpose of this should be to give all players a chance to get old exclusive items without undermining those that already have them. To some extent, this now kills the whole "exclusivity" thing and it's this huge takeaway that makes me happy. It also might be a good dil sink. (Though I doubt that it'll be a huge game changer since this lasts only one week before it goes away and who knows when it will come back.) The only thing that bothers me is how they're essentially saying...

"Were you there when we gave away this really cool shiny ship during the anniversary? Great news! That means all your characters will have acess to it, even new characters you make in the future!"

"What's this? You were also there during the time when we gave away this cool Cochrane shotgun? Oh... Well we're not going to extend the same offer. Please understand."

Edit: I underestimated Phoenix Tech Upgrades. They're insanely good. My bitterness towards the box has been somewhat alleviated. As expected, the dil exchange is taking a hit. I'll be happy if it goes down to 200. I just hope this comes back. Hopefully I'll eat crow and the exchange won't rise back up to 400 by bringing the box back at appropriate times.

T6 Sovereign

For those that don't know, the Sovereign class is my favorite ship in Trek. I couldn't get my hands on one of the WizKids Viziers and I'm not going to cave to scalpers. So I'm going to be missing out on four things, the Vizier paintjob, having access to Command spec seating, the console it comes with, and the 3-piece battle cloak. Whether the 3-piece battle cloak (taking up 3 console slots) is even worth it or not is debatable. I wouldn't call myself a collector, but I do get everything there is to get when it comes to my absolute favorites; which isn't a whole lot. My favorites are only comprised of the Sovereign, Galaxy, Prometheus, and the Kelvin ships. This is the first time I'd be missing out on something in STO relating to my favorite ship. While it's nothing that greatly upsets me, I'm still left disappointed.

At least the T6 Sovereign wasn't completely exclusive. I still have my Archon. The Sovereign revamp by Jam Jamz was spectacular; I'm happily using it on mine. I was a bit confused when there was no mention of the model revamp on the Archon blog. It sort of appeared stealthily on Holodeck a few days before the Archon was announced. Anywho... Thank you kindly Jam Jamz for the work put into the remodel.

T6 Science ships for all factions

giphy.gif

Edit: Am I crazy or did they change the spec seating on the T6 Chel Boalg? I could've sworn that two days ago it was Lieutenant Commander Science/Temporal Operative. Today it says Lieutenant Commander Science/Intel. Am I remembering wrong or was this a typo fix?
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Good evening tribbles.

Have you recovered from your big feasts? Those last two weeks have been filled with quite a few things to talk about, so let's get started.

Community questions:

1.) Well, I usually check "@STO_Podcasts" or "@TribblesinXTC" to see if the remastered show has been published. But other people prefer other sites, so I understand why you post the release announcements to that many different communities.
    Now, whether it's worth the effort... I don't know. I don't have access to any of the necessary metrics. ;)
    Btw. when @sunseahl talked about twitter and facebook and how twitter is such an ego thing... well, I use neither, but from my perspective facebook seems much (MUCH) more like a "Look at me, look at me, LOOK! AT! ME!" kinda thing. So if I HAD to make a twitter/facebook/reddit/whathaveyou account, I would probably go for twitter, but we already established that I might be weird. ;)

2.) I will use my vast telepathic powers to make an answer appear in your mind! (And if you think that I'm still not playing Timelines then I really might have telepathic powers... O_o)

3.) That is a difficult question... I mean, I liked the floaters and powerboards on Risa, but some kind of power-snowboard thing would be too similar. Just like "build a snowman" would just be a variant of the sandcastle event.

RP blog... I forgot the name... "Tales from K-13 part two"?
    Once again a well-written blog. Even trying to "explain" one of my grievances with part 1. The whole "Starfleet would not just leave them to their own devices." So a relief ship was half an hour away from the station when things got hectic. That's nice. But doesn't change a thing.
    See, I replayed "A step between stars". With a klingon character. When I came across the USS Gold, I helped them by beaming over an engineering team. Because the mission would not progress otherwise. And the first blog clearly talked about Starfleet advisors and counselors trying to help the K-13 crew to get used to this new century, but NO mention of any engineering teams trying to get them started or supplies or spare shuttles or ANYTHING.
    So while I do appreciate the effort, I think it's in vain.
    But that was me talking about part one again. So this is part two and it talks about the klingon side of the story. Well, that's nice. Except for the fact that once again a klingon hides behind the word "honor" to justify his actions. And while there was some white-washing in the first blog when it came to the federation traitor, this time around the klingons cover it all up. Because that is... "honorable"?

Community manager:
    So we got a new community manager. Yay? See, when MidNite claimed that I was asking to not promote people until you find a suitable successor... I know that it doesn't work like that. That's why I never suggested it in the first place. Throughout the last couple of weeks... uhm... months... I have pointed out how this is incredibly poor timing. See all those other (bigger) MMOs out there? At least the ones I'm keeping like half an eye on? They manage to transition between community managers within days. I would even be willing to grant you a few weeks if you were unable to find a qualified candidate. This has been going on for MONTHS. Good luck to the new guy, but he could and SHOULD have been hired and fully trained by the time AoY launched.
    I would facepalm right there but I ran out of facepalms a while ago. *shrug*

WizKids:
    You know... I seem to remember something around the holiday season last year. Something about some charity and a website (*cough* groupees *cough*) that took "donations" and gave out limited supply codes for Star Trek Online ships as a... "thank you". And they were incapable of dealing with the demand (because who would have thought that highly discounted T6 ships were desireable?) and that was for charity. This time around it's a cross promotion (meaning there's money involved...) and yet the results are rather similar. Well, to be fair, there seems to be less communication from Cryptic/PW this time around.
    If only human beings were able to reflect upon their actions and LEARN from them...

T6 science ships:
    Well, @sunseahl , you better buy that ship (I don't even know whether it's any good) to show Cryptic that there is money to be made! But that reminds me...
    Who is this 3-pack aimed at? Could you (or another host) pitch this thing to me? I mean, why (except for aesthetics and basic lore consistency) should I buy this 3-pack instead of... let's say the 31st century 3-pack?

Phoenix prize pack:
    Uhm... I'm not sure what to say. I think I would appreciate it if there was some kind of "bad luck protection". I mean, you can downgrade your tokens, but I would like (not saying it would have been beneficial to Cryptic/PW, this is just MY opinion...) a way to upgrade tokens. Take... say... 10? 20? very rares and turn them into one ultra rare. Or something even more outrageously expensive if that was still considered "too cheap/too easy".
    But I'm fine with the idea itself and appreciate it.

T6 Chel Grett... uhm... Chel Boalg:
    I guess that means we're gonna get a T6 Plesh Brek raider next year. I'm fine with that.
    I assume you're gonna give us a "combat log" about this ship? If not, consider this a suggestion for your next combat log. Well, I guess there would be a T6 science vessel "combat log" before that, but you know what I mean.