test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NoP Public Service

wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
Logged in tonight to see the NoP channel engaged in political debate, instead of the usual STO communications. I don't have a problem with some off-topic discussions, but it was so prevalent tonight that most of the on-topic comms were being drowned out by the off-topic stuff. IE, abortion, stem cell research, Trump, etc.

I respect the NoP channel, for what it represents. I'm still online, and it's not ending. I asked if there was a mod online, and the one person who responded saying that he was a mod, said, and I quote: Why don't you direct it to the complaint department? The shortcut is Alt-F4.

I haven't seen it this bad in a long time, but I'm ready to quit it at this point if it continues. I know this is not what NoP stands for, so I hope something is done about this. NoP has been, for me, a haven of helpful members of the community who respects the game.

Comments

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Don't worry. Trump will make the nop public service channel great again.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You will get this in any chat on any MMO right now. I just logged off from Elder Scrolls Online, same thing.

All chat is dead unless you want to argue politics, why would noop be any different? I have everything but my fleet chat filtered out, I'm not expecting it to get any better anytime soon.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited November 2016

You may not be able to escape all of this political stuff, but you can survive it. My suggestion is to surrender to it, but don't join in, or you will get trapped. After you surrender, then choose to bend in that wind. There will be others like you, and you will find them, and you will be able to get STO topics back in fashion by simply focusing on them and ignoring the rest.

It messes up game play, and it will take time to go away, but you can weather it! As you weather it, you will find new friends along the way, who think like you do, and by focusing on the game and ignoring the rest, you will attract others who feel like you do. Other people who respect the game the same way. ;)

Qapla!

Mabye nabreeki will like this better? ;)
    Post edited by admiralkogar on
  • chewmagnachewmagna Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I keep public chat turned off in all games these days. I haven't seen anything but politics, people bickering at each other, and general hatred in public chat for YEARS. It's not like the old days, chat about the game being played is exceedingly rare now no matter what game it is. So for me almost all MMO's are essentially single player games because I have zero tolerance for the idiots that fill the chat channels.
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    What are you ready to quit? The game or the channel? Regardless of which, I personally find it funny that people have to voice "them quitting" as if they had a significant presence and importance to STO and its gaming community.

Whichever it is, I don't think you should let it get to you and in particular if you are ready to quit the game over a channel. As for quitting the channel itself, it has its uses when you need it. I would suggest filtering the different channels and only enable them until you really need to use them... unless you want to read all that wall of text all the time while playing, which I cannot understand why people would want to do.

Sometimes it is easier to just live with things and "tolerate things as they are" rather than attempt to change the world to fit one's owns needs. It usually just ends up making you bitter and discontent with life (work, school, family etc.).. in particular work. It is usually just better to do your own thing and run your own race, so to say.
    @nabreeki

Thank you for your more official response. ;)

Edited my previous one and am moving on now,

Qapla!
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Just to clarify I suspended the "no-politics" rule so people could work through their post-election feelings with the provision that people at least try to keep things civil (which they have).
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    @wired2thenet, I'd say just drop NoP from your chat channels. I dropped it months ago and haven't regretted it.

Don't get me wrong, I've always believed the concept is a great idea, but in practice it is just another channel where nothing really important happens. (Last several times I've tried to use the channel for what its meant for, my requests fell on deaf ears. Ah well.)

I'd also suggest hiding [Zone] and [Local] from your chat window as well, nothing of any value pops up in those channels either, and trolling/religious/political discussions/arguments are common there as well. :/
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I've always believed the concept is a great idea, but in practice it is just another channel where nothing really important happens. (Last several times I've tried to use the channel for what its meant for, my requests fell on deaf ears. Ah well.)

Depending on what you're asking for (and when) things can take a while. Usually a clear, concise request for whatever factional, tiered holding is needed will get responded to at some point but they can get drowned out in some of the general chat that occurs.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    When there is something that I don't want to see, I turn my face away from it.

An important skill many people on the internet unfortunately lack.
  • umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Starting a drama thread on the forums is in bad taste in general. If you want to get something done, contact someone in Starfleet Dental or Nerds of Prey. If you want to draw attention to yourself and invite more ridicule this is a good step in that direction.

you seem to be very emotionally triggered by this thread. your friend gave some good advice:

if this thread is causing you so much trauma, you may simply want to not look at it. or find a safe space.

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Madness I say! You need to power your laser and falcon punch it head on, applying intensity directly to the forehead!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    @nabreeki

I hope living treasure has a 1 in his handle. Have not seen him in awhile.
    ltminns wrote: »
    Like this

I can't tell you how much I love what you just did! :)

Qapla!
  • wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    The political debate concerns me only because I haven't seen this in NoP before (except in rare and very brief moments). Maybe it's simply because I took a hiatus from STO recently, and the recent election has exacerbated the problem. I'm okay with that, so long as it doesn't continue. I appreciate NoP for what it offers, and though it seems I'm complaining (and I am), on some levels I'm not. Again, NoP offers a service that public chats (et al) don't offer, and I'm happy to contribute to those services. What I experienced the other night was just concerning, because -- as I said -- NoP is a channel I can count on, as many players do.

Plus, I can understand where the NoP mods stand. It's a hard place when concerning who to silence and who to not. I run a public (business) forum, and I have a hard time making that decision myself.

My biggest concern is that this was one of my sanctums away from the norms of what everyone can agree on is a toxic public chat. NoP was a haven, well-driven, and free from the BS of public chat for the most part (and most of us self-regulated the chat). You guys have always done well with this channel, and much more than just about everyone else who has tried to do the same. That's why I signed up in the first place, years ago. You guys have maintained a certain level of professionalism that, to put it frankly, astounds me. I was just disappointed this particular day.

Tonight was a lot better. Political debate was non-existent. Maybe I just logged in at the wrong time after my hiatus (and I should have taken that into account). If so, my apologies to NoP. I really do appreciate what you provide for us players. I really do love you guys, and hope you continue in your endeavors, and continue to provide us with a very well organized channel.
  • alkafelczeralkafelczer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    "lol is just elections, get over it" -butts, 1933, Germany
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Logged in tonight to see the NoP channel engaged in political debate, instead of the usual STO communications. I don't have a problem with some off-topic discussions, but it was so prevalent tonight that most of the on-topic comms were being drowned out by the off-topic stuff. IE, abortion, stem cell research, Trump, etc.

I respect the NoP channel, for what it represents. I'm still online, and it's not ending. I asked if there was a mod online, and the one person who responded saying that he was a mod, said, and I quote: Why don't you direct it to the complaint department? The shortcut is Alt-F4.

I haven't seen it this bad in a long time, but I'm ready to quit it at this point if it continues. I know this is not what NoP stands for, so I hope something is done about this. NoP has been, for me, a haven of helpful members of the community who respects the game.

Hey thanks for the laugh. If you have public chats on your a glutten for negativity and mindless drivel from keyboard warrior trolls living in Mommies basement. So really get a hint turn the chat off and relax and enjoy life instead of eltting those trolls work you into a frenzy.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Edit: Wanted NOP to know I regularly use NOP public and respect it's founders and what it represents as it is an immensely helpul resource for the community.

I think the OP could have worded it better. However, he is right. The channel's purpose is to serve the public and this is impossible to accomplish with a bunch of clowns who literally will not stop mud slinging political nonsense for hours at a time. How can people ask game mechanics questions, request fleet holding invites, ask random gameplay questions, etc when they are immediately drowned out by these guys?

I had this same issue a 2-3 days ago on NoP public because they were talking non-stop. There were about 2 instigators spewing most of the polical bs. I eventually had to ignore them since no mods appeared. NOP, they are giving you a bad name so I would politely suggest you deal with these "wonderful" human beings.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Some people take politics far too seriously.
    /channel_join grind
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2016
    NoP has gone Zone chat ... I'd like to invite everyone to the TSC (The Science Channel) not the exact same focus as NoP, but we can sure help you out if you need... tell your friends and those getting frustrated with the recent NoP route...

/channel_join The Science Channel

6tviTDx.png