Install Arc
Options

Shield drain

2»

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    To add to Odin's advice on escapes, all of the teleports also work. This covers the romulan singularity jump, the Picard maneuver console, the command power aggro grab+teleport whose name I forget, etc.

Evasive maneuvers is actually an unreliable escape. Attack pattern omega is usually the best response to any enemy control power.
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    To add to Odin's advice on escapes, all of the teleports also work. This covers the romulan singularity jump, the Picard maneuver console, the command power aggro grab+teleport whose name I forget, etc.

Evasive maneuvers is actually an unreliable escape. Attack pattern omega is usually the best response to any enemy control power.

Yeah ... about that... Evasive Manuvers is almost always the best I have to get out of the way with. I only have a couple of toons who can Teleport at this time.

Something to work on I suppose ;)

Qapla!
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Omega is only available to higher level Tactical ships (and a few oddballs with Lt.Cdr tactical seats).

And?!? There were other options listed...right? Seriously, you are going to say that there is no escaping a GW because ONE of the options given is one that is available to more than half the endgame ships.

And while gavin says evasive is unreliable...it really isn't. It is if you are a terrible pilot and click it and the flail about uselessly like I see sometimes...but point it straight and click at the apex of the pull of the GW and you will escape 100% of the time on anything an NPC makes. A player's with 400+ control on the other hand...not so much.

I have to say that Evasive manuevers works well enough for me most of the time. I am prone to put doffs on active to help with the cooldown. I may occasionally be one of those 'flail about' guys mentioned above, but in that case I am likely trying to put my cannons in a better spot ASAP !

I was using Evasive a lot against the Nahkuhl and I actually think it works better against them, than the few times I had the teleport available, since you have to jump on those opportunities to counterattack when you get them. Evasive can let you be closer for the retaliation if you do it right. 'Omega' is good, so when I have both I am very happy. I just don't have Omega on everyone. ;)

Qapla!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Omega is only available to higher level Tactical ships (and a few oddballs with Lt.Cdr tactical seats).

If by 'a few oddballs' you mean 90% of the T6 ships available, then sure. If anything, the oddballs are the ships that can't slot Omega.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The best thing you can do when the Borg somehow strip your shields?

YOU RIDE IT OUT.

They can't do anything to you anyways. In PVP if someone stripped your shields away, there was valid cause for panic and immediate actions to do, because a lot of pain was about to hit you in quick sequence. In PVE, the NPCs are so TRIBBLE, slow, dumb, and ineffective, you just ride it out.

Like how we do in California when there's a big earthquake. "Oh, look, it's an earthquake!"

In STO:

"Oh look, the Borg stripped my shields! How quaint!"
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The best thing you can do when the Borg somehow strip your shields?

YOU RIDE IT OUT.

They can't do anything to you anyways. In PVP if someone stripped your shields away, there was valid cause for panic and immediate actions to do, because a lot of pain was about to hit you in quick sequence. In PVE, the NPCs are so ****, slow, dumb, and ineffective, you just ride it out.

Like how we do in California when there's a big earthquake. "Oh, look, it's an earthquake!"

In STO:

"Oh look, the Borg stripped my shields! How quaint!"
    Precisely...

OP: So the Borg strip your shields... Whoop-de-do... That's why you should install hull armor in engineering consoles, and have a science BOFF whos ensign capability is polarize the hull... (Because that way, even if they're only in an ensign slot, that ability will always be available... Another option, is 'Brace for Impact', which does the same thing of hardening the hull for a while, if hull polarization is on cool down... If they throw a heavy plasma torpedo at you (or the Rommies, they like to do that) then target it with a beam weapon while it's coming towards you, and shoot it before it hits you...

Rather than panicking about your shields going down learn how to maintain your hull while they are down (even if it's only on low percentages, keep working the hull) while you do other things, and rebuild the shields when you then can... I prefer Reverse Polarity rather than any of the 'shield heal' abilities, because, while it may have a long cool down, shield heals, when taking fire, are merely a respite in the inevitable, and that reclaimed percentage, will be gone again in seconds, where Reverse Polarity, means that your shields jump right back up to full strength... So hit reverse polarity, and rotate the ship so each of the facing shields take a hit (because you don't want full shields on one aspect, and none on another, because you're not (or at least you shouldn't be) remaining static to the target) and then you're good to go again...

Use the time while the shields are still reversing (after rebuilding them all) to point the nose at the target and unleash some pain without fear of shield loss/hull damage... I love using cannons, but that narrow targetting arc does mean directly facing the target, rather than the 'in the general direction is good enough' which a beam array provides... I've taken to installing the beam array as the aft weapon, because that way, any time the ship is at any angle other than 'directly pointing toward' the target, the beam array can lock on, and the fore-angle which the beam array can't acquire, that's where the cannons come into play... B) Fight and build smart, and as the saying goes; Let the tool do the work... B)
    Post edited by marcusdkane on
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The problem isn't the drains themselves, it's the overpowering of NPC abilities. Drains will completely wipe out shields instantly. Gravity Wells are unavoidable, unescapable death sentences. Heck, even TRACTOR BEAMS are vastly destructive death rays capable of destroying a ship in 3 seconds (even though they don't do ANY damage on the shows).

When WE use the same skills and abilities, they're incredibly weak by comparison. THAT is the real problem. I have no problem with the enemy getting a bit of a buff to compensate for the weak AI, but what they got is frequently ridiculous.

I'm sorry...but WHAT? We do like 20x what npc abilities do on the high end and weapons are in the 2000 times range at the peak of DPS AND 100 time for normal high end...Right? If the npc do more than you...you suck at this game and the issue ain't the npc...it's YOU. We really don't need them dumbed down to your level when they already pose no threat what so ever to anyone with even a semblence of skill.
    This is the truth. I mean, I can kill advanced cubes in about 5-10 seconds and there are players that one shot advanced cubes but the OP says that the Borg should be weakened? LOL!
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The first idea when encountering a problem in a game should be "How can I master it? What am I doing wrong/badly, so that it affects me?". It shouldn't be "Change the game so I can beat it".

Sure, there are overpowered abilities in games. Sure, there are hard levels in games out there. And if finding out that that is the case, it is a valid issue to address. But the first thing is: find out how people who actually can do it do it. Ask. Find out if you can do it as well (sometimes it IS an capability issue, so the mere fact that some people can do it doesn't make it fair for a general player). Only then can you really find out how much OP something is.

Your point may or may not be valid, but if you're starting a discussion with "they should change this", you're doing it wrong.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries