test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control Settings Keep Resetting!

alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
edited October 2016 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
The latest update appears to have messed with a lot of the settings in STO. More specifically the settings found under the "controls" tab in the settings menu. Basically, whenever I adjust the settings in controls, i.e. toggling them on and off, things work fine in the map, but once I zone to a different map/area the settings reset themselves.

This is most apparent when it comes to targeting and autofiring settings. I want my autofire settings to be at "Toggle, never cancels", but every time I change maps/zones it resets back to the apparent default, "Toggle, target change cancels". This is extremely annoying as it prevents the autofire feature from functioning the way I and, I would assume, most others like it. A few of the different targeting settings also change, though the only one I've really used is "tab target offscreen targets". Ground control settings are also being reset upon zoning, such as autofiring switching back to "disabled" constantly, "tab target offscreen targets" also keeps turning itself off, as well as "aim mode as a toggle".

As one would expect, this issue is very aggravating and frustrating to deal with. I and I'm sure many others would be very much appreciative if this issue was resolved as soon as possible! Thank you! :)

EDIT: According to reports on Reddit, this issue is caused by opening the settings menu after changes to the default settings are made. This issue could be caused by both zoning and opening the menu or just one of them, unsure at this time.

Comments

• Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Camera shaking won't turn off, either. This one is by far the most annoying setting.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Yup, got the same problem here, settings get reset upon loading the game options window.

Moreover, I can't change both space and ground because switching between them causes the other to reset to defaults.
  • Options
    th3bu1ittth3bu1itt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    This patch has broken more things than the last 5 season updates.
  • Options
    flappsi2flappsi2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Just in case you wonder, a complete reinstall including folder deletion, manual registry fixing and throwing a black cat over my right shoulder didn't do it either.

TY BB. Next game please.
  • Options
    th3bu1ittth3bu1itt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    flappsi2 wrote: »
    Just in case you wonder, a complete reinstall including folder deletion, manual registry fixing and throwing a black cat over my right shoulder didn't do it either.

TY BB. Next game please.

Clearly you need to completely wipe your hard drive, write 0's then reinstall windows 10 only, no older versions will be compatible.
  • Options
    nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    Also, there's a neat inconsistency with the control settings, particularly for ground. Ground's default is for autoattack to be disabled (gj breaking autoattack again Cryptic, brings back memories lol), but if you already have it enabled on your weapons in your power bar, it still works.
  • Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    Confirmed, thanks.
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I can also confirm this... and you don 't have to change maps either. It is easily tested with toggleable "aim" for ground.
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Camera in space also seems to default to free camera setting.
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    Confirmed, thanks.

Resetting Every 15 Seconds.... Please can this be fixed quickly.
  • Options
    bulabajonesbulabajones Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Confirmed and I'm glad a Cryptic Dev here in this thread has noticed this problem.

For everyone else: DO NOT access the controls tab of your options setting on any character for right now. On all of my toons where I did NOT touch the controls page, all of my settings are normal. I am able to use autofire on ground, my camera works the way I originally set it before AOY:Artifacts, and the "aim" damage bonus mode works just fine. But if you open the controls page on any toon, it's like a Pandora's box and that toon will be screwed pretty bad.

So don't touch "controls" on any toon you have until it's fixed, and those toons are at least playable.
    Patching 11 files, 0 KB/s
    SERVER NOT RESPONDING (362.32s)
    Patching 87 files, 160.08 KB/s

victorginsocv2_zpsjqzbzllh.png

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    I'm not entirely sure if this is related, but I noticed during my testing on Tribble that the iVersion of "Scheme Space Stospacegameplay" was changed from 4 to 5 in saved UI files. This would probably reset the control settings on existing characters to defaults, but I'm not sure if it would keep resetting them again and again.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    flappsi2flappsi2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    So don't touch "controls" on any toon you have until it's fixed, and those toons are at least playable.

Big Thanks for the advice! I already suspected this so only two of my toons are screwed.

Also, settings seem to change at random intervals even without player action. On one occasion, i've seen an option revert to default right before my eyes, e.g. while the Options window was open.

And another piece of information:
    I'm one of the guys affected by the "no text at all in-game" bug. So i fooled around a little and found out that i cannot change from DX11 to DX9. No matter what i select, it's back to DX11 at game start.
    These issues might be connected in some way.

EDIT: All my Toons which did not touch Options since the Patch have Camera Shake activated.

Post edited by flappsi2 on
  • Options
    zen00008zen00008 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I have the same problem
  • Options
    sslorrsslorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I am having same issue. I use a 4k setup and need to keep my mouse at a high DPI setting so the pointer doesn't creep across the screen. But have to turn the look speed way down so I don't just spin in place when trying to move around. Makes the game nearly unplayable for me. And the thing that sucks is I have already borked all my tunes with this bug. Please fix quickly devs
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,016 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Me too .... Camera, Camera shake, and Auto Fire all reset to default for me on both ground and space.
  • Options

All my toons settings got screwed up and I didn't even touch'em.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,016 Arc User

All my toons settings got screwed up and I didn't even touch'em.

Didn't touch mine either

• Options
    calintane753calintane753 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    alphahydri wrote: »
    The latest update appears to have messed with a lot of the settings in STO. More specifically the settings found under the "controls" tab in the settings menu. Basically, whenever I adjust the settings in controls, i.e. toggling them on and off, things work fine in the map, but once I zone to a different map/area the settings reset themselves.

This is most apparent when it comes to targeting and autofiring settings. I want my autofire settings to be at "Toggle, never cancels", but every time I change maps/zones it resets back to the apparent default, "Toggle, target change cancels". This is extremely annoying as it prevents the autofire feature from functioning the way I and, I would assume, most others like it. A few of the different targeting settings also change, though the only one I've really used is "tab target offscreen targets". Ground control settings are also being reset upon zoning, such as autofiring switching back to "disabled" constantly, "tab target offscreen targets" also keeps turning itself off, as well as "aim mode as a toggle".

As one would expect, this issue is very aggravating and frustrating to deal with. I and I'm sure many others would be very much appreciative if this issue was resolved as soon as possible! Thank you! :)

EDIT: According to reports on Reddit, this issue is caused by opening the settings menu after changes to the default settings are made. This issue could be caused by both zoning and opening the menu or just one of them, unsure at this time.

Same problem here.
  • Options
    sacredtbagsacredtbag Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Mouse sensitivity is what keeps resetting on me. Default is more than double what I'm comfortable with and it keeps resetting every few seconds (sometimes before I even hit Apply). Super annoying.
  • Options
    bluejacket2bluejacket2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    My setting keep reverting to that and the game keeps crashing now during normal game actions.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    Even though it has been confirmed already, I would like to stress the urgency on this issue. It affects sector travel as well, especially if you're close to a zone border.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    I think this might be a case by case issue, now, cuz all my settings staying put since the patch and I haven't had any reset on me.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    Update: Seems Ground Control settings are once again not staying put.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Do we have to set the "Ground" separately from "Space" on each and every character?
    Or is it frickin' changing every time I sign off the computer?

I keep running into characters with "Camera Shaking" enabled or "Move through contact dialog" or "Auto Loot" disabled. I thought I fixed it all.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Do we have to set the "Ground" separately from "Space" on each and every character?
    Or is it frickin' changing every time I sign off the computer?

I keep running into characters with "Camera Shaking" enabled or "Move through contact dialog" or "Auto Loot" disabled. I thought I fixed it all.

The settings in the "Controls" tab are different for each character. And each of the following gameplay modes have different control settings:

space
    ground RPG mode
    ground shooter mode

The settings for system space and sector space are the same (per character).

The setting "Enable Auto-Loot" should be the same no matter which account or character you log on to. However, your Holodeck, Tribble, and Redshirt settings might differ.

You will have to change your settings for space, ground RPG mode, and ground shooter mode separately on each character. But if they keep resetting as people have been reporting, you might want to wait for another patch.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png