Install Arc
Options

What're Your References?

13»

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    If I was going for Russian references connected to Armie Hammer I would have likely used Iilya Kuryakin, Armie's character in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (role originated by the actor who plays Ducky on N.C.I.S.). Nothing wrong with yours of course, I just wouldn't be able to resist.
    Using Kuryakin as the surname felt too obvious, so I just kept Illya as the first name, then went with the Karamazov reference for his surname B)

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Just to be contrary (which admittedly is pretty easy for me, lol) I think I am going to rename my AoY character and his BOffs after characters and ships from a pair of really obscure British TV shows from the early to mid Seventies. Namely a couple of gems called UFO and Space:1999. Why yes, I really am this old. The local TV station ran both of these as filler until signing off. I was completely immersed in them. Even now, I can clearly remember the intro soundtrack to UFO, which had more hooks than a tackle box, lol. But was hip and cool in a way which very few TV shows were ever able to emulate.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Just to be contrary (which admittedly is pretty easy for me, lol) I think I am going to rename my AoY character and his BOffs after characters and ships from a pair of really obscure British TV shows from the early to mid Seventies. Namely a couple of gems called UFO and Space:1999. Why yes, I really am this old. The local TV station ran both of these as filler until signing off. I was completely immersed in them. Even now, I can clearly remember the intro soundtrack to UFO, which had more hooks than a tackle box, lol. But was hip and cool in a way which very few TV shows were ever able to emulate.
    Nice B) I'm going to be commissioning a purple-haired Lt Gabrielle Ellis once Illya makes the time-jump (BOFF blank is already waiting to be used B)

PS My liberated Borg BOFF, Sarina Paula Foster, is a reference to, well, I'm sure you can guess... ;)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Okay, I'll give you UFO, but since when is Space: 1999 obscure? Heck, its title even gave rise to the Victorian-era-set steampunk space opera RPG, Space: 1889!​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Let's see, I'll start with Gregs Son'aire. His Miranda-Class was named after my first MMO character ever, Blazerion from the now shut down Lego Universe, though with a 'proper' name the Blazing Ion. His last ship after upgrading from the USS Oregon, a Star Cruiser-variant of the Odyssey-class, was the Mirror Guardian-Class ISS Praetoria. Now he switches between the Ry'leh, which in my headcannon was a Paradox won from humiliating Mirror!Braxton, and the Topaz, an Chronos-Class. I even dedicated a costume slot solely to a Mirror!Wells Uniform, utilizing the right arm as an dark orange, with dark brown-black for the rest of the uniform.

Nathaniel 'Drake' Storm, is the only other character I've put references on so far, as he was my main from CoH originally named 'Drastorm'. He has references such as his Mirror Guardian being named the ISS Clockwork, while his new Eternal is named the Pilgrim, a reference to Ouroborus and the Menders. I might name his Ouroboros 'Tesseract' or Silos....

My AoY toon will get a new Boff, who will be named after the infamous 'Mary Sue' of Star Trek legend. Actually got the idea from a webcomic 'Mary Sue Must Die!', and in my Fanfiction universe, she actually cameos as a foil for Drake with her 'sueisms'. Read ULC 27 for backstory on how it happens. ;)

My main kick with references comes with the new 0718 Boff. Currently I have: Nicholas Valentino, Mr. Zero, and Wheatley, but others hopefully will follow.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I watched a lot of 1999 back when I was, honestly, too young to understand most of it. Loved the design of the Eagles, though - practical and timeless. I got this one Christmas, and played with it long after the stickers came off.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Drat. Now I am all jealous of your childhood. You just had to show us those pics din'cha?
    :::grumble grumble grumble grumble:::
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    aten66 wrote: »
    Let's see, I'll start with Gregs Son'aire. His Miranda-Class was named after my first MMO character ever, Blazerion from the now shut down Lego Universe, though with a 'proper' name the Blazing Ion. His last ship after upgrading from the USS Oregon, a Star Cruiser-variant of the Odyssey-class, was the Mirror Guardian-Class ISS Praetoria. Now he switches between the Ry'leh, which in my headcannon was a Paradox won from humiliating Mirror!Braxton, and the Topaz, an Chronos-Class. I even dedicated a costume slot solely to a Mirror!Wells Uniform, utilizing the right arm as an dark orange, with dark brown-black for the rest of the uniform.

Nathaniel 'Drake' Storm, is the only other character I've put references on so far, as he was my main from CoH originally named 'Drastorm'. He has references such as his Mirror Guardian being named the ISS Clockwork, while his new Eternal is named the Pilgrim, a reference to Ouroborus and the Menders. I might name his Ouroboros 'Tesseract' or Silos....

My AoY toon will get a new Boff, who will be named after the infamous 'Mary Sue' of Star Trek legend. Actually got the idea from a webcomic 'Mary Sue Must Die!', and in my Fanfiction universe, she actually cameos as a foil for Drake with her 'sueisms'. Read ULC 27 for backstory on how it happens. ;)

My main kick with references comes with the new 0718 Boff. Currently I have: Nicholas Valentino, Mr. Zero, and Wheatley, but others hopefully will follow.
    Will be fun to see Mary Sue brought to life B)
  • Options
    hfmudd wrote: »
    I watched a lot of 1999 back when I was, honestly, too young to understand most of it. Loved the design of the Eagles, though - practical and timeless. I got this one Christmas, and played with it long after the stickers came off.
    I think my father in law has one of thosesomewhere, he's a huge Anderson fan (more UFO than Spade:1999)
  • Options
    Nice B)I'm going to be commissioning a purple-haired Lt Gabrielle Ellis once Illya makes the time-jump (BOFF blank is already waiting to be used B)

PS My liberated Borg BOFF, Sarina Paula Foster, is a reference to, well, I'm sure you can guess... ;)
    Okay, so Tarsi got transfered prior to the Caleb IV mission and Lt Ellis reported for duty instead... (as close as the options would allow)

IMG_0368_zps7riq3fnq.jpg