test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Every time there's a patch...

... it takes 30-60min for the game to load from the secondary load screen to the character selection screen. After that initial load, it loads perfectly fine every other time until their next patch. It's annoying and never happened until I had to move from OS X to... ugh.. Windows.

What the hell?

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    Nope, I haven't seen this.
  • Options
    necreliosis#4763 necreliosis Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    That's weird, I've never had this happen either. I wonder what's causing it.
  • Options
    darkwyredarkwyre Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Happens to me after every patch as well but not nearly for that length of time. It's related to DirectX 11 and rebuilding shaders as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    saltbeef#4736 saltbeef Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    happening right now after cryptic loading for ever..................
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    It happens to me after every patch. Then when it actually does connect to bring up the Character Select Screen it says that the connection to the login server was lost and you have to provide the password again.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    It's something to do with the machine, I believe - it's not universal. I have exactly this with my laptop but not with my desktop PC, I assume because of the better specs on the latter.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    This happened to me when I got Windows 10.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Never seen it on either my laptop or my desktop--both of which are very solid machines in the performance sense, though. what sort of graphics card is in that computer of yours?
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    Never seen it on either my laptop or my desktop--both of which are very solid machines in the performance sense, though. what sort of graphics card is in that computer of yours?

And - does he have two graphic cards in the machine? (Like the intel integrated and a seperate dedicated graphics card).

If it has something to do with shader rebuilding, it might be that the game thinks the card has changed/switched. (Or it actually does change, and is picking a different card to run on for every new patch?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Intel integrated GPU, also getting this. Can confirm that it's definitely a post-patch thing.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    ... it takes 30-60min for the game to load from the secondary load screen to the character selection screen. After that initial load, it loads perfectly fine every other time until their next patch. It's annoying and never happened until I had to move from OS X to... ugh.. Windows.

What the hell?

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with Windows.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Yup, after every patch I will log in and it will sit and do nothing for at least an hour before coming up with the login screen.

Side note - anyone else noticed that you can't use the account bank when using the freighter you can call in?
    The character and Fleet banks you can use, but the Account bank will just have a blank window with 'this service is locked' in it.
  • Options
    Yes to the Account Bank problem. Been like that for about a month or so.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yes to the Account Bank problem. Been like that for about a month or so.

Ah, well that is good to know.
    Kinda funny about the Account bank slots being 'News' though, is that because it got reported and someone doesn't understand the problem I wonder?
  • Options
    There was discussion about it on the Boards but I am not sure if there was a formal Bug Report.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    crivakcrivak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    This happened to me when I got Windows 10.
    Mine's loading now. It takes a while but not that long. I was advised not to get Windows 10 on my older machine because it might go slower.
  • Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    The game has always done this to me. Win7, Win 10. Seems like it's rebuilding some kind of graphics cache, thought everyone experienced this.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    It happens to me after every patch. Then when it actually does connect to bring up the Character Select Screen it says that the connection to the login server was lost and you have to provide the password again.

Exactly what happens to me.
    I'm playing on a laptop.

I just go make a coffee, and play some phone game for a little bit and its usually ready to go within 30-45 mins.
    Last night I was too tired to wait around for it, I just went to bed.
    Woke up to the "Lost connection to the login server" screen, and a very hot laptop.
    Probably not something I should do often.
    :P
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    Side note - anyone else noticed that you can't use the account bank when using the freighter you can call in?
    The character and Fleet banks you can use, but the Account bank will just have a blank window with 'this service is locked' in it.

I have noticed that, and it's infuriating, makes me go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvt5L__8qY
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    A few times the game did take a very long time to load, but those few time didn't happen immediately after a patch update for me. Thus far, it has not happened after upgrading to Windows 10 back in June.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I don't think I've ever had a patch take that long. For that matter, I'm not sure a fresh install of the whole game takes me that long. This leads me to suspect an individual's machine takes extra time to chew on a patch.
  • Options
    neaaveronneaaveron Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    this happens to me too:

ONLY ON DX11, dx9 does not have the extended second loading time where for a fraction of a second you can read in the bottom left corner something about shaders beeing rebuilt.

its not a "after the new patch" thing either, this is going on for a long time already, on BOTH my laptop and our desktop.

edit:
    same thing happens in neverwinter too btw, looks like engine related?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    DX11 generally loads noticeably slower, but in my case the biggest one is unquestionably post-patch.

(Didn't notice any such delays while testing the new lighting system, though - and that demanded DX11.,,)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    purplesplatpurplesplat Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »

It's a crappy Intel Iris 1536 MB graphics card. The hardware's all the same as before, I just installed Windows with Boot Camp on the MacBook Pro. 2.8GHz i7 Dual Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB RAM. The Boot Camp partition isn't large, but there's about 10GB of free space on it.
  • Options

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with Windows.

Pretty sure, eh? Considering the hardware is exactly the same, it wouldn't be a hardware issue, so it would be an OS issue.
  • Options
    neaaveron wrote: »
    this happens to me too:

ONLY ON DX11, dx9 does not have the extended second loading time where for a fraction of a second you can read in the bottom left corner something about shaders beeing rebuilt.

its not a "after the new patch" thing either, this is going on for a long time already, on BOTH my laptop and our desktop.

edit:
    same thing happens in neverwinter too btw, looks like engine related?

I have seen that message, but I've only experienced the delay after the Thursday "super patch". I dread Thursdays b/c of it. lol.