test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Xbox - New control change needs to be changed back

loutheloulouthelou Member Posts: 63 Arc User
How it used to work: if you were turning, then you held down a button to access a radial menu, your ship would continue to turn until you stopped holding down the button.

How it works now: if you are turning, then you hold down a button to access a radial menu, your ship automatically turns to a heading of its own choosing. What that heading is is still being determined through play-testing, since this wasn't in the patch notes and there hasn't been a dev response (sometimes it will seem to face your target, sometimes it faces an arbitrary "standard" direction; hard to tell what will happen). Whatever the heading, your ship chooses, not you.

This... either needs to be reverted, or you need to give us an option where we can set it either way. This new control functionality is horrible. How do you know what way I want to face my ship? What if they just took my front shields down and I'm trying to face away while also using some abilities (since said abilities have to accessed through a radial menu, which takes time, rather than simply being a key press away as it is on PC)? Can't do that now.

Seriously. This change needs to be reverted. It was fine the way it was. Now it's difficult to predict, at best, because now, the ship decides where it's going to face. Unacceptable.

... the more I think about it, the more I think it has to be a bug. Please say it's a bug.
Post edited by louthelou on

Comments

• razenove#1922 razenove Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Seems to me it just turns back to where you were facing when you held down the button. It definitely needs to be changed back, the only thing to do at the moment is quickly stop turning, activate abilities, then turn again.
  • loutheloulouthelou Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Seems to me it just turns back to where you were facing when you held down the button. It definitely needs to be changed back, the only thing to do at the moment is quickly stop turning, activate abilities, then turn again.
    I thought that, too. But do it in the middle of a fight, with a target selected. Your ship will turn to face it - which is suicide if you're trying to get away.

Though... I just tried it, and it didn't work like I that. I don't know. Like I said, it's hard to predict, at best. It really needs to be changed back. Not being able to use abilities while turning (since it simply stops/reverses your turn) is a huge control nerf - as if we console players needed our ship control to be any more difficult.

... this is so annoying. I keep going to use the old functionality, only to have my ship negate my turn. This is especially detrimental on ships with low turn rates, like the Jupiter, since it takes that much longer to maneuver if you're also trying to use abilities.

Can't use abilities while I'm turning because the ship chooses its own heading if I do. So stupid.
    Post edited by louthelou on
  • xsupremex#3811 xsupremex Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    i really hope they change it back this really sucks now and makes me not want to play, it makes large ships turn even slower than before because you start turning back..... its really really annoying......
  • razenove#1922 razenove Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I just tested against the Crystalline Entity, seems like it has some sort of predetermined heading that the ship turns back to, no matter where I was facing when I started turning. However it's working it's not correct, and needs to be set back - it's making my life as a torpedo boat extremely irritating.
    how has this only got a few replies???? the difference is very noticeable and impacts how the game plays (at least for me)
    how has this only got a few replies???? the difference is very noticeable and impacts how the game plays (at least for me)

I feel the same way. But it's only been a couple hours since I posted it, and many people are still at work or school. Give it a little time. I'm confident the undesirability of this change will be recognized by many. Even if only a few of those people make it to the forums, hopefully that will be enough to communicate to Cryptic the fact that they need to reverse this change.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    Wow, that is quite irritating. Even though I don't play the consoles, I would be quite pissed off if that happened.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
    edited October 2016
    lighte007 wrote: »
    Wow, that is quite irritating. Even though I don't play the consoles, I would be quite pissed off if that happened.

Oh, it is, and I am. I don't know that I'd go so far as to call myself "pissed off", but I am definitely highly annoyed. Cryptic is apparently not a fan of the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unless, of course, this change was unintended, but I doubt that.
    GRRRRR.... I'm sorry for the double-post (I would normally just edit my last post), but this is going to make my head explode.

Fighting in my front-favored Scimitar... target gets behind me... I turn to face him... he's almost in my frontal arc, so I bring up my ability menu and blow all my relevant tacticals in order to give him a face-full... OH YEAH, my ship doesn't freaking listen to me anymore, and as soon as I brought up my tactical menu, my ship started turning the other way, so now I have to turn back around, and I just wasted several seconds of my abilities. GREAT.

#(*&%$╤b▒J₧²╒Φ¥!!!!!
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    louthelou wrote: »
    ... the more I think about it, the more I think it has to be a bug. Please say it's a bug.

It's a bug. We're looking into this and other issues.
    It's a bug.

Thank you, sir, very much.
    thank you sooooo much
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Obligatory;

" In Soviet Russia ship direction chooses you"

Does the console also have the wonderful random warp out glitch?

I thought of that when wasted abilities was mentioned.