test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge crew

14362442_10154519053328899_2439731300409057875_o.jpg

Why can we not get the correct officers at the correct stations?

I mean, this has been the case forever. For years, my helm station has been manned by my engineer. They FINALLY change it, and put the science officer there.

The image above shows what officers are at what stations. The red arrows indicate where they SHOULD be stationed.

Why is this so hard to fix?
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.

Comments

• thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Ya, the comm station would logically be manned by the operations officer, which would be engineering. To the left of that is science, then navigation and tactical subsystem stations, which would be tactical stations. To the right of the lift is engineering (Scotty's station), then environmental control, which I deemed a science station, but could be engineering, and then an engineering monitor station.

Right click the image and select "View Image" for a larger size, you can see the stations.

Of course, IDEALLY, we would be free to choose exactly what officer sits (or stands) at which station, even elsewhere in the ship. That way my Doctor could be in sickbay, my Engineer in engineering, and so on. One of the crew on one of my characters is the wife of that character. It would be appropriate to put her in the Captain's quarters... and so on.
    But, I don't know if the technology for that could be made. I'm not a programmer, I won't venture a guess at whether or not it might be easy to do.

It was on the cards a long, long time ago and you can see it on the wiki listed as such in the development log....
    Department Heads, and Off-Duty revamps are on hold as of October 2012[35]

First Officer system is not on schedule as of December 2012, but may be revisited with increase to Full Admiral[36]
    Convert First Officer to playable Captain and vice versa [17]
    This would allow for Breen (FE Reward), Borg (STF Reward), and Jem'Hadar (FE Reward) playable captain species [37]
    Converting veteran reward-Android bridge officer will not be possible (vetoed by CBS) [34]
    Bridge officers who are put in as First Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer, etc. gain some new abilities/perks [38][39][40][41][42][43]
    Department Heads and First Officer will leverage Expertise and can be individually augmented by Duty Officers of their respective departments [44]
    First Officers will grant additional lower-level Captain powers depending on their respective specialization [45][46]
    First Officers will occupy a special, additional bridge station. This may be closer to increasing the skill cap to Admiral.[35]

Sourced from Upcoming Content "Older Ideas"

...but it has been so long without a mention it has likely been quietly (and most heinously) dropped. I suspect the "Department Head" selection tool was supposed to be in part a lead to this... because then you could have a code that says "if x= Doctor then spawn in sickbay"... and this might have allowed other non positioned bridge crew to appear in general bridge seating.

I currently fly a Hestia on my main and originally (when it was a T5 Prometheus, I used the "Blaze" bridge. I found it a bit excruciating because nobody sat n the helm position... they always stood between the two chairs in between the seating position.

In the end I got the Voyager bridge with the pathfinder (because I have several liberated Borg and am a lib borg captain and wanted the alcoves), so I'm flying a Hestia with an Intrepid bridge which messes with my OCD a little.

I do wish it would be possible to allow obtained interiors to be unrestricted with bridges. I could understand why they wouldn't want you sticking a Fed interior on a non faction bridge (but actually I'd rather have a fed interior than no interior in that case), but don't see why it should be an issue to TRIBBLE specific fed interior on any fed ship. I mean I once had the TOS bridge on a Defiant... sohow is that different?
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    It would be nice, but they can't even get them to sit in their chairs properly...(though hopefully this will be fixed in the patch)

Also because it's a 3rd person computer game, if they don't make places huge, then the camera would be clipping though the ceiling. Though to be fair, one of the staples of Sci-Fi on screen is to have high ceilings on bridges with a lot of girders and other objects that will fall down dramatically in battle, often on a person.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I don't worry about it. the idea of dedicated consoles is rather silly. only tradition would require it. even in the real navy today you can step into CIC and pull up any station you might need, TAO, ATACO, Surface Radar, Air Radar, AIC, ect, ditto in Sonar I could switch from the towed array to active system at the press of a button, and that was ona ship commissioned 20 years ago
    Spock.jpg

• bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    It was only the 23c ships that had fixed stations.

All ships since then have completely interchangeable stations, where its literally a matter of pulling the wanted station up on the touchscreen.

They showed many examples of this in TNG, VOY, and DS9. Since the 24c, all stations were merely numbered 1 through 8-12(depending on class of ship - the defiant had only 6 universal stations)

Stations 1 and 2 would be the ones in front of the captain, then it goes around the wall of the bridge in a clockwise fashion.

It was down to the captain to decide who gets to sit where on the bridge and where they wanted their officers
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    Ya, the comm station would logically be manned by the operations officer, which would be engineering. To the left of that is science, then navigation and tactical subsystem stations, which would be tactical stations. To the right of the lift is engineering (Scotty's station), then environmental control, which I deemed a science station, but could be engineering, and then an engineering monitor station.

Right click the image and select "View Image" for a larger size, you can see the stations.

Of course, IDEALLY, we would be free to choose exactly what officer sits (or stands) at which station, even elsewhere in the ship. That way my Doctor could be in sickbay, my Engineer in engineering, and so on. One of the crew on one of my characters is the wife of that character. It would be appropriate to put her in the Captain's quarters... and so on.
    But, I don't know if the technology for that could be made. I'm not a programmer, I won't venture a guess at whether or not it might be easy to do.

It was on the cards a long, long time ago and you can see it on the wiki listed as such in the development log.... but it has been so long without a mention it has likely been quietly (and most heinously) dropped. I suspect the "Department Head" selection tool was supposed to be in part a lead to this... because then you could have a code that says "if x= Doctor then spawn in sickbay"... and this might have allowed other non positioned bridge crew to appear in general bridge seating.

I currently fly a Hestia on my main and originally (when it was a T5 Prometheus, I used the "Blaze" bridge. I found it a bit excruciating because nobody sat n the helm position... they always stood between the two chairs in between the seating position.

In the end I got the Voyager bridge with the pathfinder (because I have several liberated Borg and am a lib borg captain and wanted the alcoves), so I'm flying a Hestia with an Intrepid bridge which messes with my OCD a little.

I do wish it would be possible to allow obtained interiors to be unrestricted with bridges. I could understand why they wouldn't want you sticking a Fed interior on a non faction bridge (but actually I'd rather have a fed interior than no interior in that case), but don't see why it should be an issue to **** specific fed interior on any fed ship. I mean I once had the TOS bridge on a Defiant... sohow is that different?
    bonzodog01 wrote: »

All ships since then have completely interchangeable stations, where its literally a matter of pulling the wanted station up on the touchscreen.

They showed many examples of this in TNG, VOY, and DS9. Since the 24c, all stations were merely numbered 1 through 8-12(depending on class of ship - the defiant had only 6 universal stations)

Stations 1 and 2 would be the ones in front of the captain, then it goes around the wall of the bridge in a clockwise fashion.

It was down to the captain to decide who gets to sit where on the bridge and where they wanted their officers

but the conn is pretty much universally the conn - whether it be one or two seats.

I don't mind where they go on the bridge as long as there's a scientist, a tactical, ops and first officer available there... and a helmsman in an appropriate helm position.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

that was demonstrated in the TNG episode where Jellico took command of the Enterprise
    Spock.jpg

• drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I don't worry about it. the idea of dedicated consoles is rather silly. only tradition would require it. even in the real navy today you can step into CIC and pull up any station you might need, TAO, ATACO, Surface Radar, Air Radar, AIC, ect, ditto in Sonar I could switch from the towed array to active system at the press of a button, and that was ona ship commissioned 20 years ago

Did they actually move people around to different stations performing different functions (either on the same or different ships). Or was Sonar assigned a workstation that they stuck to even if Air Radar could pull up Sonar displays?

If they did play musical chairs, all I have to say is that it's been a long time since the Navy's actually had to fight. Looks like they'll have to relearn the benefits of standardization if the future holds any real threats.
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User

Did they actually move people around to different stations performing different functions (either on the same or different ships). Or was Sonar assigned a workstation that they stuck to even if Air Radar could pull up Sonar displays?

If they did play musical chairs, all I have to say is that it's been a long time since the Navy's actually had to fight. Looks like they'll have to relearn the benefits of standardization if the future holds any real threats.

Silos in training are not efficient. All officers should be equally trained and capable of handling all stations to insure peak efficiency, even if some are killed by random flying debris. I routinely assign my nurse to take the helm and make the bartender my 1st officer. B)
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    It's like that because the devs consider the bridge and ship interiors to not be worth any time or effort. If they were we'd be able to control the placing of not just what type of BOff should appear were but also exactly which BOff is where. Devs don't care about the little things that don't make them any money.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I'm anal retentive too about other stuff.
  • whisperorwhisperor Member Posts: 71 Arc User

As far as I know, stations are universal

Stations are definitely universal/interchangeble. That way, there was some flexibility involved, a big plus for reliability and damage tolerance.
    However, going by tradition would be preferable so as to simplify things and keep up with familiarity. So I guess it would be best determined by the Senior crew to decide who goes where.

Oh one more thing.....
    14362442_10154519053328899_2439731300409057875_o.jpg

Why can we not get the correct officers at the correct stations?

I mean, this has been the case forever. For years, my helm station has been manned by my engineer. They FINALLY change it, and put the science officer there.

The image above shows what officers are at what stations. The red arrows indicate where they SHOULD be stationed.

Why is this so hard to fix?
    d09.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's like that because the devs consider the bridge and ship interiors to not be worth any time or effort. If they were we'd be able to control the placing of not just what type of BOff should appear were but also exactly which BOff is where. Devs don't care about the little things that don't make them any money.
    That may be, and if so shows great lack of foresight. There is still a LOT of potential in this game, and the possibility of "bottle shows" will only be realized if ship interiors are given a bit of attention. I know this is (partly) the realm of Tacofangs, and he seems to have his head on the right way around. Hopefully, more of his excellent work (witness the Voyager interiors) can be brought to the game.

However, I'm not even suggesting anything NEW for ship interiors (that list would be long), I'm just suggesting fixing the bits that are broken.
    Oh come on... they already fixed the bug that was duplicating our boffs on the bridge... now you want them to fuse the department head system with boff seating?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Actually, bridges seem to be setup differently based on the bridge, but IIRC most of them use the boffs you have on duty. But... they don't really have much way to know what that will be. Yeah the example in the OP is weird even by that standard, but....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Correct stations? I'd be fine if they just let me fill all the boffs seats on the bridge with my boffs without forcing random nameless crewmen into half of them most of the time.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    To my experience, boff selection in ship interiors is based on where they are assigned to on the ship's actual boff stations, with additional boffs chosen in order of commissioning if the interior has more boffs than the ship can slot. Thus "always an engineer at the helm" is likely explained by that position being numbered such that it matches an engineer slot on the ship.

On ships with different boff layouts, there are different number of classes in there. Nut since the slots are always ordered uni-tac-eng-sci, there would be certain similarities in their order even between different types of ship.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    After I realized I had zero control over what uniform my crew wore and seeing how poorly my BOffs seated at their stations look, I stopped visiting my Bridge. This is part of the game where a shabby job was done in a hurry by poorly trained and unsupervised personnel and it screams, "We don't care about immersion!".

It is the little things in a game which sometimes make a difference. Badly designed and poorly executed graphics and situations as just one issue can be overlooked. A whole series of them which continue for far too long with no acknowledgement by the game designers/developers creates friction and disatisfaction which spills over into a disenchantment with the game. After all, if they do not care enough to get the small things right, then they are probably half-assing the big things as well.

It would be a nice QoL issue to be addressed and I'd like for it to be repaired/replaced. However, I am enough of a realist to think unless the Dev team comes up with a way to monetize it, the bean counters will not allow work on this. As with so much in this game, until Cryptic takes a Critical Hit in their revenue stream, they do not even acknowledge there is a problem.

With the Console players representing new cash flow, the odds against this admittedly minor problem continuing to be overlooked are very very good. As a side note, however, when the Console players realize just how badly PvP in STO is broken, they will flood away from the game in a tsunami of disgust. And this will happen far faster than anyone at Cryptic realizes.

Until this occurs, the few Devs which post here and over on Reddit will continue to speak the Party Platitudes about how much they love Star Trek and how much this game means to them and how much they like and admire they players of this game.

Deeds, not words, people. Anyone can talk a good game. Just look at No Man's Sky. Takes a real Dev to make one and then make it right.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    haha.... "when the Console players realize just how badly PvP in STO is broken"? They already noticed.... Not much of a reaction so far.

Getting bridges to work right has apparently been a bigger issue for console from what I've seen.

Also it's called "No Man's Lie" for a reason....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing