test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic: Please remove Need or Greed, Round Robin and Free For All from Lootsystem in Events etc.

Situation: Doing 10 Mirror events (10 characters) a day, and I came to a truly annoying and frustrating conclusion: The most used Need or Greed system is a farce.
When i say, that usually, I do most of the work in a field, I am surely not kidding.
However, i keep ending up with the least of the loot, and that loot is usually either consumables or white stuff, albeit that green and better stuff drops quite a bit.
I know everyone selects Need continuously, and i could not care, if the system was FAIR.
Which it isn't.
Just this event that I ran gave an upgrade token.
A fella that was inactive the ENTIRE mission, got it.
And this is not the first time such thing happens.
Excuse me?
What have I missed here?
How come this inactive guy, that did absolutely NOTHING, gets the reward?

I am requesting a fix, Cryptic, for this is seriously unfair...
Make it so that those that EARN it, GET it, instead of some AFK punk.

Thank you very much.
Klingons don't get drunk.
They just get less sober.

Comments

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,726 Community Moderator
    While I agree someone who is inactive should not be getting loot, the other people in there who are active have just as much right to that loot as you do, regardless of their perceived contributions or lack of. If you go into a mission and everyone is dealing at least 10k+ with the 5th guy only dealing 3k and a Beam Tech upgrade drops as a hypothetical, the guy dealing 3k has just as much right to it as you would or anyone else because he also helped to generate the loot. While I agree that the need before greed system could use some updating, you're not entitled to anything in this game or any other game until it loots it to you.

To be perfectly blunt since we're both adults here, or of reasonable age at least, this post just screams entitlement mentality to me. You're mad because you didn't get something you thought you should get and now you're complaining about it while wanting the loot systems changed because of it. Like I said, I agree someone who is afk shouldn't be getting loot and the systems could use an update, but the rest of the post comes off in a juvenile tone. As for the loot system being "unfair", sometimes you win nearly every single loot roll in a match, and sometimes it kicks you in the nads and throws you to the borg. You win some you lose some. Until something is looted to you, you don't own that item and are not entitled to it.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    "Need or Greed" doesn't work in STO. It would work in a class restricted game where it originates from.

For STO it should be replaced with "pass" and "roll" but everyone have equal chances to get the loot. This is the fairest system, aside from having each team member get individual loot (that is "invisible" for the others).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    While I agree someone who is inactive should not be getting loot, the other people in there who are active have just as much right to that loot as you do, regardless of their perceived contributions or lack of. If you go into a mission and everyone is dealing at least 10k+ with the 5th guy only dealing 3k and a Beam Tech upgrade drops as a hypothetical, the guy dealing 3k has just as much right to it as you would or anyone else because he also helped to generate the loot. While I agree that the need before greed system could use some updating, you're not entitled to anything in this game or any other game until it loots it to you.

To be perfectly blunt since we're both adults here, or of reasonable age at least, this post just screams entitlement mentality to me. You're mad because you didn't get something you thought you should get and now you're complaining about it while wanting the loot systems changed because of it. Like I said, I agree someone who is afk shouldn't be getting loot and the systems could use an update, but the rest of the post comes off in a juvenile tone. As for the loot system being "unfair", sometimes you win nearly every single loot roll in a match, and sometimes it kicks you in the nads and throws you to the borg. You win some you lose some. Until something is looted to you, you don't own that item and are not entitled to it.
    Did you miss the point of this post on purpose?
    That playing/active people get loot, PERFECT.
    That this AFK punk got loot?
    THAT I disagree with.
    Seems you do as well.

As for being blunt, entitlement and the lot, see my few lines above.
    People not participating should NOT! be rewarded, on the contrary.
    So the latter part of your post is something that should not be there, don't you agree?
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    There is a key combination, crtl + q. I always chose that while fighting, I don't have time to select it every time a loot drop menu pops up so I just choose it automatically.

Whatever they call the options, I imagine most people would not bother to select it every time something pops up so they'll just choose one combination and keep using that. The names of those combinations are irrelevant IMO.
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    but everyone have equal chances to get the loot. This is the fairest system, aside from having each team member get individual loot
    So, you agree with AFK people being rewarded?
    Or did I miss something?
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    Auto pickup would be terrific
    download.jpg
  • Options
    Now THAT would be a nice thing... If you killed something, and it drops, you get it.
    +1
  • Options
    As for loot drops: if you really are in need of those, I suggest playing some queues like Azure Nebula or Borg Disconnected. Undine Assault gives a nice amount of drops too.

Or try the Battlezones, space ones especially.
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I pass on a lot of loot that I don't need or want so it doesn't clutter up my inventory. Personally I think it is silly to select need all of the time.
  • Options
    kiksken wrote: »
    Now THAT would be a nice thing... If you killed something, and it drops, you get it.
    +1

Nope. Auto pickup as in, items that would go to you anyway like when you play the Defera invasion zone or anything, or common quality items, yes those should be picked up automatically. And discarded automatically too preferably.

The rest indeed reeks of entitlement. And this is coming from someone who misses out a lot on items. There are missions, especially ground ones, where I kill more than half the enemies in less time usually. Doesn't mean I should get way more items, the other players may be in greater need of them if they are less well geared so it's also logical that I receive 1/5 instead of 1/2. Besides, I wouldn't be able to play the queue if they didn't join it, so they deserve to get as many items as you do as they make it possible that the mission is played in the first place.

It's an MMO after all.
  • Options
    I pass on a lot of loot that I don't need or want so it doesn't clutter up my inventory. Personally I think it is silly to select need all of the time.

An option to automatically discard items of a certain quality or mark would be nice and could solve this.

Or at least an option to delete multiple items at once. I always hate it when I need to stop playing the mission because my inventory needs to be emptied, especially when there's only stuff in it that I only picked up so that it could be deleted. Might as well do it immediately and automatically, there's no need for those items to remain there.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    but I love using "Greed". I don't know why it's an option but when everyone uses need, I like to be the random greed person.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    It does seem silly in mirror invasion, because almost everyone picks "Need" even though no one actually needs it (since it's all green stuff).

Out of habit from other games, I pick "Greed" because that's how etiquette works in most other games (if you don't actually need, you simply don't pick need unless you are a jerk"

So I never get anything either. Except one bizarre run where everyone but me picked "Pass", so since i picked Greed, I got everything.
  • Options
    Not so sure about that... greeding everything usually seems more jerky to me than needing something.

I don't know many people that really don't need EC by the way. The majority my not need the item itself, but that's also not why they choose 'need'.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Or did I miss something?

No, you don't miss anything. I'm fine with that pig-26.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    FYI: The loot dialog can be closed with a macro selection auto programmed to the (Need, Greed, Pass) of your choosing.
    Tie this macro to a key of your choosing to close the dialog quickly. Some STO players include this macro in their spacebar macro when they play and the dialog is auto-closed without any thought.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    but everyone have equal chances to get the loot. This is the fairest system, aside from having each team member get individual loot
    Or did I miss something?

What you are missing is that it is the fairest possible setup. I know it annoys you, but if everyone rolls need then everyone has a chance at the item. That's fair.

What you're missing is you are adding in the extra variable of "how much work that person did in the mission" to "deserve that item." Which is subjective and isn't fair.

You want fair? You had a fair shot at the item you didn't win. That's fair.

Everything else is just sour grapes. You play the queues enough you'll get more chances to win the upgrade tokens. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Pointless subject to raise. All you'll get are people rationalizing their lack of conscience.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Nobody needs any drops in the game, maybe aside from upgrade kits that drop once every century. But everybody needs energy credits, so that's why I always choose "Need". When playing with people I actually know, I choose according to previously agreed upon rules.

I do remember the epic rage that sometimes occured back when I was playing other games that had raids and someone accidently chose "Need" on something they couldn't even use. Ah, good times. Now, if I want mindless rage, I come here. :D
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    At end game it really doesn't bother me as that loot is worth bugger all to my character. I normally pass on everything.

However on a leveling toon it could be annoying to see an afk player getting all the goodies that you could be using to fund you character's progress. AFK players are the worst in my view, they are the spongers who get away with being rewarded for no effort and who put the mission at risk of failure. I'm actually astounded that the devs still cannot work out a system to sort it out.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I am reminded of back when the STFs dropped prototype tech in order to get the MACO/Honor Guard/Omega gear.

Way back when I was doing the ground STFs, a typical Infected end run would be: 3 people jump to activate a console, 1 person would land in the instant-death goo. Every. Single. Time. So, fate chose my friend and he landed in the death pit. We proceeded to activate the Boss fight, killed her, and my friend (who spent the last 8 minutes or so doing nothing but eating pizza) was rewarded the prototype tech.

Good times.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Situation: Doing 10 Mirror events (10 characters) a day, and I came to a truly annoying and frustrating conclusion: The most used Need or Greed system is a farce.
    When i say, that usually, I do most of the work in a field, I am surely not kidding.
    However, i keep ending up with the least of the loot, and that loot is usually either consumables or white stuff, albeit that green and better stuff drops quite a bit.
    I know everyone selects Need continuously, and i could not care, if the system was FAIR.
    Which it isn't.
    Just this event that I ran gave an upgrade token.
    A fella that was inactive the ENTIRE mission, got it.
    And this is not the first time such thing happens.
    Excuse me?
    What have I missed here?

I am requesting a fix, Cryptic, for this is seriously unfair...
    Make it so that those that EARN it, GET it, instead of some AFK punk.

Thank you very much.

I'd first like to see a loot revamp so that there's a chance at actual meaningful loot instead of just vendor trash.

However, your post reeks of entitlement and elitism. While I agree AFKers don't deserve loot, the entirety of your post reminds me of recent arguments I've had on the WoW forums with people who are mad about the semi-removal of that game's master looter option, and these player's subsequent inability to make sure loot only goes to those "worthy" of it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,544 Arc User
    I like the auto pick up idea with one refinement. I'd like certain items and quality to be automatically discarded for EC. if I pick up a white or green item, I'd prefer to get the EC. Blue items might require some thought, but I would keep the purples.
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    In the years I've been playing this game, "Need" has been the default for most players. Personally, I just put the window down at the bottom right of my screen and ignore it. That junk just clutters up my inventory and it's not worth the slim chance I might get something "good".

There is no real effective way to deal with AFKers as even if we said they had to do some damage, they would just fly around once, do that and then go AFK. It can't be based on who did the kill as players that spam AOE dmg like B:FAW would be blamed for kill stealing.

Fact of the matter is that the good stuff comes from Rep and Mission rewards. Getting all worked up over loot in an STF and what is fair or not is a waste of energy, time and brain cells. Heck, even QQing about AFKers is lame. The mission is on a timer and you'll get to the end regardless and even one player in Standard can kill the Dread solo and anyone in Advanced should be able to do the same.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    kjfett wrote: »
    There is no real effective way to deal with AFKers as even if we said they had to do some damage, they would just fly around once, do that and then go AFK. It can't be based on who did the kill as players that spam AOE dmg like B:FAW would be blamed for kill stealing.

I just thought of a possible answer to this piece of it. In StarCraft there's a skill measurement referred to as Actions Per Minute (APM), something like this could be adapted and used to measure attacks and non-self heals per minute, with loot eligibility dependent on hitting a certain threshold. This stops the AFKers, while also not penalizing people for performance/build issues.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png