test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You have some nerve putting these High Tier TOS ships in a promo box!

124»

Comments

• Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Cryptic/PWE/CBS/Paramount or whoever you have some real nerve putting these T6 TOS ships in a promo box especially the TOS Constitution around the time of the Trek 50th anniversary and after having told us you would never be allowed or able or wanting to make something like that available in game. So now what you did is have a big a cash grab or something with very low odds of winning the ships and even if we want one other players that have won them will sell them for expensive prices like oh say 900 million energy credits. What the heck did you do that for? You have any idea how angry that makes me? I'm actually one of the ones who wanted something like that and I'm also one of the players who got a gold plated D'Kora. You were always shutting down threads talking about this issue and others like it and always told us it would never happen and then you add the Kelvin Lockbox which has the Tier 6 Kelvin Constitution which I myself own and then you announce and launch this promo that and you also did the hugely expensive Wrath of Khan and MACO costumes as per character unlocks on the dilithium store. Seriously what are you people doing? You need to raise the odds for the promo box to give out the T6 ships boxes because seriously I've opened quite a few and it's driving me insane that I haven't gotten one yet. I mean could you raise the damn odds already? What the hell were you thinking?

I would of liked to have a free ship come in my email but it didn't and you don't see me complaining about it.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Boy, these Threads remind me of 'Groundhogs Day'.

OP makes a post about not getting stuff from Lockbox/Promotion Pack.

Posters say that the OP is an idiot and that OP should have just sold the Lockboxes/Promotion Packs and had 100% certainty of getting the ship.

Other posters say the OP is not a special snowflake and is not entitled to squat. 'Get over yourself'.

Other posters will state 'can I haz your stuff'.

Some of the above will add 'In before the lock' or suitable acronym for said statement. Some will have a gif showing Geordie LaForge dropping and rolling under a closing door.

Some will call for the Moderators to close the Thread.

The Thread may sometimes get scientific posts going over probability theory and it will be '...proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic...'

Did I miss anything? If we could only create a Template Thread that we could use with the original premise/complaint and all the canned replies it would save so many people so much time and angst. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Did I miss anything?

A few gorn jokes, a bit about being slapped in the face, and the phrase "naked cash grab."

Otherwise, a solid recap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Naked Cash Grab is the name of my band.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    necreliosis#4763 necreliosis Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    People love to gamble. You can't blame Cryptic for giving them what they want. If enough people boycotted these gamble boxes, they might reconsider; but... some folks are addicted to gambling. Not only that but heavily RNG infested games seem to attract the types with addictive personalities which tends to go hand in hand with giving them gambling boxes. Once hooked, they can justify spending any amount to feed their addiction.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I get that you're mad and I also get that you may take my comment the wrong way, but do you realise you were "fine" with it until a point where you noticed you wouldn't get the ship?
    We - all of us - who don't agree with this method of doing things can not go for it even if it's just a box.
    If they sell, they are validated.

oh and believe me .IT WILL SELL

3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    CBS = Central Brodcasting Systems, a TV network and media conglomerate that owns the rights to Star Trek television stuff.

It's actually just CBS now, but it was originally an abbreviation for Columbia Broadcasting System.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    I just want some gold spinning nacelles on my Defiant.

Then I'm treking like a pimp. :)
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I just want some gold spinning nacelles on my Defiant.

Then I'm treking like a pimp. :)

ZbBTSX8.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Gambling means spending money to, most of the time, get nothing at all. Since you always get something from these boxes it doesn't qualify.

I believe they call this "denial" :p
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Gambling means spending money to, most of the time, get nothing at all. Since you always get something from these boxes it doesn't qualify.

I believe they call this "denial" :p

No, it's called legalese. There is an actual legal defination of gambling in most areas...and this distinction is one that is made in the US.

Well that's interesting. But to me, if any outcome is luck based; it's gambling. That's Necreliosisese.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think it's fair to call lockboxes and these promotions as gambling - in the common use of the word. In the legal sense, probably not (depends on your legal system, doesn't it).

I think there is a reason why this type of gambling remains unregulated and that's also okay - you can't win money from it.
    Gambling with the chance for winning money is dangerous, because the gambler can tell himself: "I just need to win once, and then I can pay off all those gambling debts and all my bills!".
    No mattter how many Connies you win in STO, it won't pay your bills, you will not make your money back. The mony is gone, and you know it.

This type of gambling might still encourage you to spend more than you would have otherwise, but at no point can you be under the illusion that if you keep doing it, you'll solve the financial problems gambling caused you.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    The emotional response the brain receives is about the same any time you win something you really want. The problem with this type of gambling is that the subconscious can't tell the difference between perceived value of a virtual item or something solid like a pile of cash. Either way, real gambling or fake gambling, it's all the same to the subconscious which drives these kinds of addictions.
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    I am going to stick my nose in this only because it is a much larger issues. Try to bare with me....
    Real world analogy incoming Epipen, rumor has it, that it is actually cheap to make. Yet these companies sell it at 600 bucks for brand name, and 300 bucks for generic. Do you really think gaming companies are below such methods? Why bring this up? As as I start someone will say well money pays for the game. Fact is I would wager they are earning far more then is required to keep this game running and moving forward. Now that thats out of the way, I can begin.

To the op you should have seen this coming when they put the new boff abilities, some of which are overclocked, in lock boxes. When a gaming company does that type of action, It has reached the point of anything goes. It does not make it right or justified though. Yes op you are correct I remember the many threads, where the devs said this would not happen. Yet they did it anyways. What is funny wait a year, and if those kelvin lockboxes dont pop up again in that time frame, they will be worth millions. Now the drop rate is set for cash, but If I was the devs I would be concerned about the message you send. The divide between poor and rich is only getting wider every day. I do wonder if a French Revolution will happen again in my lifetime. To be honest I never thought gaming companies would go out of their way and say our games are for wealthy customers only. To me this is the message that swtor has sent, and this is the message the devs here are sending by putting boff abilities and something like a t6 constitution class ship in a lock box. Me I am not wealthy but frankly I stopped caring about what they put in lockboxes a long time ago, that was until they started putting abilities in it. To me that was just bs. From a point of view of a new player who loves star trek, but is not well off. The message is clear get lost. The constitution class starship in any form is the most iconic beloved ship of star trek. This is why its such a dangerous move by the devs. Lets get to the real screwed up part of this.

The message star trek has mostly tried to send is peace, equality, and tolerance. Yet the message sto sends with these two actions is money, money, money, and the wealthy get what they want. The rest of you can take a hike. Polar opposite if you ask me.

Not to say this game does not have strong points for all, because it does. It has enough rep/zones now to keep everyone busy well off or not. This is not even counting the rest of the content. To be honest their model is not the worse, but this tier 6 constitution class gig, and putting abilities in lock boxes. Those were two steps too far, and way over the line.

In the end a opinion of one player me.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I know PWE/Cryptic feel the need to maximize profits and everything, but with the iconic nature of this specific ship, the promo certainly feels like a low blow to fandom imo.

That said, it was a long awaited Ace card the company finally had at their disposal, and to not use it as such would have been foolish.
    And as much as I disagree on this "particular ship" being sold this way. I can see why they did it.

Here's the rub though... Had they put it in the CStore, people would've complained it wasn't a 50th Anniversary giveaway ship :neutral:
    AND EVEN IF they had given it away for the 50th Anni... they would've lost out on all that much needed profit. Profit needed so we can play STO for free.

A lose / lose situation for all parties involved.

But at the end of the day, at least they finally got it in game. Many people begged for it.. since launch.

You gotta admit though, it does come off as one of the best trolls ever (in terms of STO), even if it was totally inadvertent, and unintended. :mrgreen:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg