test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server is down again....nuff said.

Was in, got D/C'd now can't get to login server.

Comments

• khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    Reroute emergency power to hamsters. GIVE ME EVERYTHING!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • warpnugget#0537 warpnugget Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    sarcasm on

notice posted on launcher at 11.30 am TOMORROW morning...." we regret any inconvinence but due to financial losses during last 8 quarters we regret that star trek online has closed its doors and wish everyone who has purchased lifetime and monthly subscriptions thank you for your patronage,and to all of our free-to-play customers thank you also for playing........nah not really......happy 50th star trek, don't let the door hit you on the a.ss on the way out...........suckahs !

/ sarcasm off

wish that were true thou,game closed means someone else would pick the IP and maybe then we can finally get a proper star trek mmo instead of this pew pew travesty of the star trek ip...
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    someone else would pick the IP and maybe then we can finally get a proper star trek mmo instead of this pew pew travesty of the star trek ip...
    *Sigh*
    The dumbest assumption ever, though it comes up from time to time here on the forums - but it doesn't speak favourably about the intellectual capacity of forum community on average.

someone else would pick the IP and maybe then we can finally get a proper star trek mmo instead of this pew pew travesty of the star trek ip...
    *Sigh*
    The dumbest assumption ever, though it comes up from time to time here on the forums - but it doesn't speak favourably about the intellectual capacity of forum community on average.

its happened before,star wars ip ring any bell?
    not saying the next star trek mmo would be better but there is a chance.
    so before insulting other posters make sure you actually have some valid reason to make yourself look like a douche...
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    sarcasm on

notice posted on launcher at 11.30 am TOMORROW morning...." we regret any inconvinence but due to financial losses during last 8 quarters we regret that star trek online has closed its doors and wish everyone who has purchased lifetime and monthly subscriptions thank you for your patronage,and to all of our free-to-play customers thank you also for playing........nah not really......happy 50th star trek, don't let the door hit you on the a.ss on the way out...........suckahs !

/ sarcasm off

wish that were true thou,game closed means someone else would pick the IP and maybe then we can finally get a proper star trek mmo instead of this pew pew travesty of the star trek ip...

This one never gets old.

No, someone else would not necessarily pick up the IP. The market is brutal, creating MMOs is a time-intensive and money-intensive process and CBS Studios is not going to just give the license out to another developer after the success (and theoretical failure) of STO.

If somebody picked up the license to Star Trek, it's important to keep in mind they would be expected to exceed the revenue generated by STO. I guess it's easy to say, "Well, they would just make the game better than STO therefore they'd get 1000000x more money", but without a specific business plan with details instead of vague ideas of what "better" looks like, it's not going to work -- and nobody's going to throw money into a bottomless pit for vague ideas.

This isn't the late 90's anymore. People have, for the most part, moved on from Star Trek. It's no longer in its heyday. Chances are if STO closed its doors, that's it. No more Star Trek MMO ever.

I'm personally not on board with the idea of killing off a provenly successful MMO strategy with STO just for the chance a better MMO might come along later, when the deck is so heavily stacked against those odds from occuring.

It's not a gamble anybody but the completely delusional should be making.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    It could be an actual single player console game. I always felt sto should have never been made a multiplayer game. It just restricts so much that you can do with it.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
    so before insulting other posters make sure you actually have some valid reason to make yourself look like a douche...

a) SW fanbase is considerably larger that Trek's. SW is more popular with the media. Thus the IP is much more lucrative to potential developers
    b) SW IP holders (at least, at pre-Disney times) are much less restrictive in of creative freedom than CBS&Paramount conglomerate.
    c) The old SW MMO was actually killed in favour of the new one, when the new already started its long way to the market. Not the old game died and then after the new one took its place, like you'are implying should happen with STO
    d) The main thing - we somehow don't see a line of gaming studio, waiting for PWE to close STO or have its license revoked. You don't need the old game to die to start developing a new. In fact, there is some pretty crappy Chinese browser Trek game out there right now.
    But somehow they will miraculously appear after STO closes. Yeah, right sure. If anything, the possible failure of STO will discourage any developer from ever dealling with Trek IP.

So yeah there no valid arguments for this gaming closing and my point about this assumption being really dumb stands.

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    a) SW fanbase is considerably larger that Trek's. SW is more popular with the media. Thus the IP is much more lucrative to potential developers

Yeah, Disney was willing to purchase the SW IP for $4.05 billion. Not sure what Star Trek's movie and TV IPs are worth, but it's safe to say that it is not worth nearly as much as SW's IP.

EA was willing to sign a multi-year deal with Disney for exclusive rights to produce SW games. No to mention revenues from the Force Awakens movie and blu-ray sales is bringing in money to offset the initial cost of the acquisition.

Too bad Star Wars 1313 got cancelled, it looked pretty interesting. My brother was disappoint when Disney cancelled the Clone Wars because that series appealled to an older population demographic than what Disney normally targets, thus Rebels was introduced.
    edited August 2016

b) SW IP holders (at least, at pre-Disney times) are much less restrictive in of creative freedom than CBS&Paramount conglomerate.
    c) The old SW MMO was actually killed in favour of the new one, when the new already started its long way to the market. Not the old game died and then after the new one took its place, like you'are implying should happen with STO
    d) The main thing - we somehow don't see a line of gaming studio, waiting for PWE to close STO or have its license revoked. You don't need the old game to die to start developing a new. In fact, there is some pretty crappy Chinese browser Trek game out there right now.
    But somehow they will miraculously appear after STO closes. Yeah, right sure. If anything, the possible failure of STO will discourage any developer from ever dealling with Trek IP.

So yeah there no valid arguments for this gaming closing and my point about this assumption being really dumb stands.

editing...

editing...

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    sarcasm on

/ sarcasm off

This one never gets old.

No, someone else would not necessarily pick up the IP. The market is brutal, creating MMOs is a time-intensive and money-intensive process and CBS Studios is not going to just give the license out to another developer after the success (and theoretical failure) of STO.

If somebody picked up the license to Star Trek, it's important to keep in mind they would be expected to exceed the revenue generated by STO. I guess it's easy to say, "Well, they would just make the game better than STO therefore they'd get 1000000x more money", but without a specific business plan with details instead of vague ideas of what "better" looks like, it's not going to work -- and nobody's going to throw money into a bottomless pit for vague ideas.

This isn't the late 90's anymore. People have, for the most part, moved on from Star Trek. It's no longer in its heyday. Chances are if STO closed its doors, that's it. No more Star Trek MMO ever.

I'm personally not on board with the idea of killing off a provenly successful MMO strategy with STO just for the chance a better MMO might come along later, when the deck is so heavily stacked against those odds from occuring.

It's not a gamble anybody but the completely delusional should be making.​​

I am sure if you open enough lockboxes, the answers you seek shall reveal themselves. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

a) and yet swtor has gone the same route as sto,subs plus mictrotransaction for content that should be available with only the sub,so your point is moot...

b) unless you on the board you know jack,if a good solid project for a star trek mmo is presented there is no way for you to know if cbs and paramount would take the chance or not...

c)yep,exactly what im implying,this is just a cash grab that plucks the heartstrings of star trek fans to make a quick buck, basically we got a shooter in space with poorly done ground combat with a star trek skin slapped onto it so they can make more money.
    everyday this mmo is online its just another day that they are but t fking gene rondenberry by making a travesty of his vision.

d) weird,you got any insider trading information or do you work for a gaming studio? if the answer is no to both of those questions well again you know jack,but lets say for arguements sake that you actually worked at a gaming studio instead of your current burguer flipping job,that would give you info on the intentions of ONE gaming studio but what about the others?
    or maybe gaming studios are in the habit of sending emails to nobodies like you with their plans on what ips they are interested in,yeah good try TRIBBLE but you came in short.

good try kid,now take your ''higher intellect'' wrap it in some toilet paper,run it under some warm water and shove it up your a$$,defending this game,really? youy should be ashamed of yourself
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    if they did a new star trek mmo it would be console and it would be jj. and it would be much much much more pew pew than sto ever imagined. ride this horsie. it's all we will ever have.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited August 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Man warp you have some really sxrewed up ideas about things, not even sure where to start.

dont bother then,spare me the pain of having to read your post,thank you.
    if they did a new star trek mmo it would be console and it would be jj. and it would be much much much more pew pew than sto ever imagined. ride this horsie. it's all we will ever have.

nope not riding it nor im paying to ride it,still young so ill probably be alive when this pos goes down and a new one pops out...
    edited August 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Then leave already, punk.

tough words,safe much behind the computer screen?
    maybe i was raised differently but i speak up when i see something i dont like,apart from that not many star trek mmos out there to choose from...so instead following your tactic of dropping trou,grabbing my ankles and thinking happy thoughts i speak up,dont like it? fine then dont read it.
    edited August 2016
    a) and yet swtor has gone the same route as sto,subs plus mictrotransaction for content that should be available with only the sub,so your point is moot...
    LOL. If anything, what you've written actually supports my point - no yours.
    Even a more popular franchise developed by a studio with much more resources than Cryptic under PWE had to go F2P to stay afloat.
    So what does say us about chances of IP-setting with dubious perspective getting picked by another studio ?
    I tell you what - they will look to how SWTOR, STO fared and than tell: "F*** that. It's too risky"
    b) unless you on the board you know jack,if a good solid project for a star trek mmo is presented there is no way for you to know if cbs and paramount would take the chance or not...
    You should really work on your reading comprehension skills.
    I wasn't about project selection process - hell, they have licensed the aforementioned Chinese BS.
    I'm saying that it is a pain in the backside developing a game, when you have an IP-holder behind your back, which can come out of the blue and tell "You can't do this" or "You can't do that" about your plot decisions, monetization etc. etc.
    It's much easier, for instance, to develop in your own universe like Roberts had done with "Scam Citizen", than having someone pulling your strings from time to time.
    c)yep,exactly what im implying,this is just a cash grab that plucks the heartstrings of star trek fans to make a quick buck, basically we got a shooter in space with poorly done ground combat with a star trek skin slapped onto it so they can make more money.
    And what does this rant has to do with what I have written about the new game already in development before the old one dies (not after) ? As it is known there are no decent MMO Star-Trek based projects currently in development. So if this game dies, there'll be nothing to replace it unlike the discussed example of SW MMO.
    d) weird,you got any insider trading information or do you work for a gaming studio?
    Hint - you don't need to be working in the gaming industry to know it. Nowadays there are such things - they are called "news sites". They inform about all latest developments in gaming, movie & television industries, report rumours about the new possible gaming projects etc. etc. So when did you last heard about someone expressing desire to develop Star Trek MMO ? Maybe, like ... never ?

Post edited by thelordofshades on
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    No one is developing a new Trek MMO. I haven't heard lately about any new MMOs in development - the current trend is MOBAs, aimed straight at the cell-phone market. So if this game closes down, you'd best be happy playing "Timelines", because that's what there will be.

And if you really don't like this game, and want it to go away, the exit is right over that way. I won't even ask for your stuffz on your way out.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    No one is developing a new Trek MMO. I haven't heard lately about any new MMOs in development - the current trend is MOBAs, aimed straight at the cell-phone market. So if this game closes down, you'd best be happy playing "Timelines", because that's what there will be.

And if you really don't like this game, and want it to go away, the exit is right over that way. I won't even ask for your stuffz on your way out.​​

one would think that an old TRIBBLE like you would know better...

unless you got some inside information there is no way to know if the contract is exclusive or not but im willing to bet it is hence no star trek mmos can be made until cbs or paramount cancel or dont renew their contract...

and as me leaving im already out of the game but that doesnt mean i cant voice my opinion,you do remember those days back in the civil way where you couldnt voice your opinions,well guess what you fossil those times are long gone,dont like my posts? fine,go watch the price is right and have some medicine for your arthritis and dont read my post.
    i want something better,we deserve something better,and since i dont like the current state of the game...well im lying,didnt like it at launch either,im free to talk about it.

if we had 10 star trek mmos to choose from i wouldnt be here but guess what mr potato head this is the only one in the market at the moment.

still here?

just checking,old farts like you fall asleep pretty easily,night pu-to sleep well.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    Cryptic have had to renew the license since the game started, given that in the license renewal phase CBS pretty much calls the shots unless Cryptic is giving them money hand over fist, then they could have removed any non-compete clauses in the renewal if there had been significant interest in another company developing a Star Trek MMO. Not to mention that most clauses like that only prevent them from giving the license to competition for a set amount of time anyway.

Cryptic is making a comfortable amount of profit (you don't make updates on the scale Cryptic's been doing when your game is failing) but more than likely not enough to leverage a firm no-compete clause in their license agreement with CBS unless they have godlike lawyers.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    I'm an old enough TRIBBLE to know that if STO went under, the conclusion CBS would draw is that the MMO "fad" is over, and they wouldn't make another one. Major corporations aren't generally known for taking risks with shareholders' money.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    bluedarky wrote: »
    (you don't make updates on the scale Cryptic's been doing when your game is failing)

what updates? you mean a glorified tutorial aka aoy and episodes which can be done under an hour?

lol...

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    *Sigh*

Um - after a few years of SWToR - many were (and are still) begging for the return of SWG. Just saying. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited August 2016
    there is no way to know if the contract is exclusive or not but im willing to bet it is hence no star trek mmos can be made until cbs or paramount cancel or dont renew their contract...

Never bet or you'll lose a lot of money. Your ability for failure though is impressive - managing to be so wrong every time you post something on the topic is an art of its own.
    the-fail-is-strong-with-this-one.jpg

You know about Star Trek: Alien Domain, don't you ? *Sigh* Well, judging on your post, actually you don't. (Yeah, it's a piece of junk, but it doesn't matter in the context of STO's fictional exclusivity).

*Sigh*

Um - after a few years of SWToR - many were (and are still) begging for the return of SWG. Just saying. ;)

yeah me too,hard to believe that a mmorpg that is close to 14 years had more depth,better crafting system and more features than swtor and sto put together...but players are to lazy these days to play sandbox games,they are use to be being the donkey following the dangling carrot,level up,gear for dungeons,run dungeons,gear up for raids and then run raids,to hard to think outside the box,sandbox mmos require to much thinking ;)