What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are there any plans of fixing the STFs?

13»

Comments

• Options
    patientnr0patientnr0 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    And wasn't that exactly how it should be?

"Easy" without NPC abilities (now called advanced) for casual play, "Normal" (NPC capable to use abilities, players need to work as a team) for "real" play? That way casual AND "hardcore" players could play as they like and even Fleets and Armadas would make sense again

For real casual playing you could even put the STFs in the admirality card game.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    And that's how it was too for a while.
    But the casual crowd came down with a serious case of "entitlement" and begrudged the hardcore crowd their cosmetic rewards for playing Elite content, so we got the Reputation systems instead where even a monkey farming ISA can get it.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    You know STO as it is "now" but way back in the day STF's were pretty much hardcore content that required roles and coordination to complete.
    That is, before they dumbed down the STF's for the casual masses and then indirectly dumbed down further via power creep.

Taking on Armek without a tank and healer used to be suicide.

That used to be one of my favorite queues. Haven't seen that queue pop in ages. Would love to see this one transformed into an event similar to the mirror invasion or voth, but for ground combat.

Funny enough, does anyone else think that the "sabotage" kit module uses the same principle as armek? Building turrets or spawning support drones used to be a shocking experience (heavy electrical discharge).

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    it shouldn't be called advanced, period...it is in fact the easy mode, and normal is mostly empty queues anyway.

It is by far not that simple.
    People are breezing through advanced content because they know the game and the game mechanics. Total newbies however do not, and throw a bunch of fresh newbies into an advanced queue and there's no way they are going to complete it in a reasonable time frame, if at all depending on queue.

The power gap between experienced players and newbies is enormous.
    It is exactly that simple. Total newbies should not be able to complete Advanced queues at all. That's why we have Normal.

Yes, the power gap between experienced and new players is enormous. As it should be. Unfortunately, instead of using the three difficulty settings to provide an appropriate challenge for players of different level of ability, Cryptic has decided that everyone should be able to play all of them.

Newbies should play Normal, midrange players on Advanced and high-power players on Elite. If the difficulty levels were properly balanced.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    patientnr0 wrote: »
    I didn't "play" any STF since AoY. It's impossible with pugs because, you know, the public queues are completely dead. It's nearly impossible with Fleet/Armada peeps because nobody wants to "play" a "harder" map when you get everything in a shorter time elsewhere.

Well...there is your problem right there. You are in a terrible fleet with terrible players. Find a better one. Mine actually runs all the different queues.

It isn't the players' fault the reward structure is skewed toward the fast and easy.
  • Options
    Exactly. New players shouldn't be able to breeze through advanced/elite ever! And much less if they just need to smash spacebar (i'm not talking about DPS race here) and keep in range of the red dots.
    Back in the old days we took 3 or 4 newbies and teached them the basics. It was fun even if we failed. All gone ...
    Well...there is your problem right there. You are in a terrible fleet with terrible players. Find a better one. Mine actually runs all the different queues.
    Jepp, right. Maybe read the first entry again?
    The fleet is actually one of the few reasons why i'm still around ... even without cheating though "end game" content.
    If they don't want to play what you want to and keep running ISA and CCA, your option is to find a new community.
    And how would this solve any problem with the actual state of the game/stfs?
    Even if my or any other fleet is queing for STFs regulary i won't participate. I simply don't want to mass murder helpless victims anymore for nothing in return.

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    patientnr0 wrote: »

Even if my or any other fleet is queing for STFs regulary i won't participate.

Especially not if it’s ground right? :/

I apologize in advance if I offend but it is my honest opinion that the very thing that would help the game most would be if players with your attitude would just leave. Instead of taking matters into your own hands, make the best out of it and bring some live to some of the harder pve maps of the queue list you do nothing but to complain and sort out reasons, justifications why you are not doing it.

The past four years I played every map of that list in every difficulty setting. I have run with each and everybody from the most hopeless pug to the top of the DPS leaderboard. I’m quite certain if I would run elite maps with a team of players like you I would have one thing… a challenging PVE.

I don’t think you are under-challenged with pve, I think you are just lazy. Your stomach is full of rewards and now you have too much of a weight to move.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    you should have quoted the second sentence, too ... aah forget it.
    i'm out, have fun