test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Deferi

"Hi, it's us, the Deferi again! We absolutely love balance. With that in mind, would you please do us a favor and kill every Breen until they are extinct? IT'S FOR BALANCE, YOU KNOW! STOP ASKING SO MANY QUESTIONS AND MURDER THE BREEN!!!!"
One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    The Deferi have contradicted their 'Balance' so many times it isn't funny.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    It IS for restoring the balance. You're attacking them because they have abducted Deferi citizens.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Guys guys guys...

You misunderstand the Deferi...

"Balance" means getting everyone else to do your dirty work, while staying a pacifist... Basically, they are in PERFECT balance.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    I just find it hilarious that they tell you "If keeping the Balance means being assimilated, so be it." And then the next time you see them they're whining about the Breen enslaving them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I was playing one of the Iconian Foundry missions, The Betrayed. I think there's a Deferi in there whose attitude might be considered... refreshing for you then ;)

Edit: spelling
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    cH2Kjk2.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    For a people that talk about Balance all the time they sure have a lot of garbage floating around their planet. Looks like a space dump in orbit around them.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Deferi and the Bajorans

If i had to destroy one of them i know which ones i would send back to the void.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Deferi are like most of NATO. "Someone do the heavy lifting for us."
  • Options
    Tell me about it. I thought this myself.

Why is there so much garbage around this planet? Don't they ever sweep up here?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Perhaps that 'garbage' is what is left of ships, moons, etc. after the Borg blew up that stuff. You do remember that there is a fairly large contingent of Borg down there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I'm through helping a species that refuses to even defend itself but instead expects everyone else to do the fighting and dying on their behalf
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
      Well the preserver archive is now fried. So balance is restored for the Deferi gaining the archive on the first place.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
    • Options
      sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
      I almost want to compare this with a species from the X series of games, the Boron. The backstory goes that these guys are so peaceful to a fault, that when an alien force attacked them they didn't know what to do. As in the very idea of fighting back was incomprehensible. It took a friendly neighboring power to intervene and teach them the ways of war to keep them from being conquered. They still aim for peace and balance but will defend themselves if they must (funny in that sometimes they're apologetic for shooting back at you).

The Deferi need to either a.) get over themselves and at least build defensive weaponry or b.) apply for Federation membership so that they are under Starfleet's protection. I'm sure there's some way they can consider themselves still in balance while being under the umbrella of a larger power. Such as, "They defend us, and in return we teach them the ways of The Force Balance."
      They want you to end the threat, not end the Breen.

I don't follow :p
    • Options
      angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      The Deferi are a very interesting original alien culture and I would have loved to see Cryptic expanding on then instead of abandoning it all. They are however also badly written.

Living "balance" like it's suggested is like playing a absolutely neutral RPG character. If you think it means to be passive and not doing anything you're doing it wrong, preserving "balance" is actually a lot of work and requires some things like openly turning against your allies for the sole reason of considering the alliance's current course of action tipping that balance. The notion that the Deferi would be absolutely helpless while being attacked makes no sense whatsoever. I absolutely buy the unpreparedness for war, as they were so uninteresting no power was interested in them before. But with the help of the alliance they'd up their game and needed to field defensive forces. Their philosophy would forbid them from ever entering an opposing force's territory to vanquish them, but they would certainly fight to defend their own and save their people.

What's even more interesting is if the Deferi would have become for STO what the Romulans ultimatly became. A subfaction joining both sides and even joining both parties to fight each other in a war. The Deferi would enter what's essentially civil war simply because they'd need to keep the balance. There would be no ill will between Deferi, but their ships facing each other in battle would simply exchange formal greeting and regret that in order to keep the balance they now have to fight each other. It would have been a interesting plot in my opinion.

Having the galactic union of STO however makes things a lot easier of course. In my headcanon the Deferi with help of the alliance, started to built their own defensive service to relieve allies from their patrol duties and join efforts to preserve the balance by preventing invasions, assimilation and the like. I even started to write together some fluff but due to other things going on I put it on ice for the time being http://imgur.com/a/XoHPN​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      The Deferi have a defense force, I think - when you do the Deferi Patrols, you occassionally see their ships. It's just competely inadequate to deal with the Breen, and hence they ask for support.

Their concept of balance... Meh. I don't expect it to stand up under scrutiny.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
      fRhmZXV.gif
      To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
    • Options
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Living "balance" like it's suggested is like playing a absolutely neutral RPG character. If you think it means to be passive and not doing anything you're doing it wrong, preserving "balance" is actually a lot of work ​​

Indeed. I've found that the amount of self-control - on both the personal and the civilisation level - and the amount of self-reflection and self restraint rivals that of some of the cultures that are best known for these things, possibly even up to the level of the Vulcans.

They could easily be considered one of the most responsible cultures we know of.