test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need quick response please

mrbestermrbester Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I started a Romulan toon this morning and was wondering if it made a difference ship wise which faction i pick? I thought I would be able to continue into Romulan ships but when I got to the pick faction part, I thought I had better pause and make a post here and ask. Thanks

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    It does make quite the difference. Depending on the picked faction you may also use all their ships up to T4. T5 and T6 is still locked though.
    Frankly speaking siding with KDF is pretty much the best choice since it potentially gives you access to the T3 Vandal destroyer and the plasmonic leech. Though now that the leech is more affordable on the exchange siding with fed isn't such an issue anymore.
    Also with KDF you get marauding which is also the best/most rewarding doffing branch.
  • mrbestermrbester Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Ok thanks.. I wasnt sure how active this thread was so i picked feds lol. Maybe I can make another and go KDF with that.. Thanks again though
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    Fed allies have more access to science ships, which the KDF is lacking in. Most of the Romulan ships in Admiralty are Tactical. KDF have a mix of Tac and Engie, but still can be tac heavy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    The Romulans have the best of it, actually, since they can use Romulan-exclusive ships as well as some of their allied factions ships. My Romulan admirals have more admiralty ships than either faction, and that is without going to the trouble of buying ships from the Z-store... :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    The best advantage of playing as a Romulan is that some Romulan Boff can have the Romulan Operative trait which increases your critical hit chance and critical severity when they are slotted to a Boff station. There are 3 different levels; the least powerful is Basic, while the most powerful (and desirable) is Superior. When you see someone mention SRO they are referring to a Superior Romulan Operative Boff.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Romulan_Operative/boff

Arguably the worst thing about playing as a Romulan is the fact that Romulan ships uses a Singluarity Core rather than a Warp Core. The Singularity Core gives your ship Singularity Abilities, but it comes with a -40 power penalty which means you have 40 points less to allocate to your subsystems compared to a standard warp core used by the Fed and KDF.

However, there are ways offset the power penalty such as by using a Plasmonic Leech, or by using a ship that uses a standard warp core; such as an Event Ship (Anniversary, Summer, Winter) and / or perhaps one of the 31st Century cross faction temporal starships that can be purchased from the C-Store (Eternal, Chronos, Ouroboros).

One perk is that whatever faction your Romulan decides to align with, you can purchase any of that factions T1 through T4 ship from the C-Store (Zen) / shipyard (dilithium).