What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No more crew? Cryptic, you sly dogs!

2»

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    A choice of weapon for those so inclined...

golden-shovel.jpg

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    fanboy3k wrote: »
    I don't mind the mechanic being removed. While it was a nice idea it never seemed to really work. That said, I wish they would have retained a crew entry on the ship status screen to atleast indicate the ships intended crew compliment. Any curious captains must do a search on the internet to find this information if it's even available.

Indeed, it removes a lot of "fluff" from the game. The crew gave a sense of scale - mind you, shortly before they removed the mechanic all new ships had 1000+ crew anyway since we went the way of supercruisers only. But still, I miss it and still wish they would have done soemthing with it instead of just removing it.​​

For roleplay or even in-universe trivia, having the crew number would be nice to have again. For example, the Baltim is said to only have 25 crewmembers while the smaller Kazon raider has 80, so I liked to imagine my 250 crewmembers switching shifts via Iconian gateways to do their assignments on the ship.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I would have preferred they do something with the crew mechanic, even if it was just to post crew statistics for rp fluff purposes.

If I recall correctly, the crew mechanic was originally intended to be tied the death penalty for space, and if you blew up you'd lose a permanent amount of crew and would eventually have to use a consumable for new crew shuttles to warp in and replace the dead crew, or to go to a starbase and replenish them manually (for no cost). Abandon Ship was intended to save your crew to prevent the death penalty at the cost of killing yourself irreversably.

The more you blew up, the more your hull repair rate suffered. Holographic crew was intended as a stopgap measure, but not a permanent one.

But I think they forgot all about that when they went with starship/personal injuries for the death penalty system instead.

Maybe we'll see a new iteration of the crew mechanic, but I have a feeling it's just going to be filed under, "The crew mechanic was no longer up to the standards of quality for Star Trek Online and was removed to make the game better." and never spoken of again.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    5 months later...

/closed
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.