test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Raise the Daily Refinement cap?

spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
Perhaps one other way to help the little guys rather than the heavy farmers/grinders would be to raise the Refinement cap to say 16k per day but make it across the whole account.

This would allow double Refinement for one character. Or normal for 2. THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE. It could be raised to another amount.

The cap has been in place for the games existence and the use of dilithium has increased.

So the poll is - raise the Daily cap and make it account limited or not.

Edit - can't add another option. But if you want keep it as is and account limited to 8k. Just post that.

Raise the Daily Refinement cap? 144 votes

Yes- raise it and make it account limited
24%
moonradiossbn655kesselrunner#0768monkeybone13cidjackazniadeetscarlingdragnridrcrashdragonkhayuungaleaicdominious12sparhawkgrtiggyborn2bwild1lordgyorspacebaronlinetalienjtoon74rck01 35 votes
no - keep it as is.
75%
comrademocoikonn#1068reiklingraiderkamuii2rosetyler51antonine3258bernatkhorizons2052garaks31alexraptorrmattjohnsonvar5e4w3q2allyoftheforcevalenn1jarvisandalfredjonathanlonehawkmustrumridcully0psyman87kjwashingtonmeimeitoo 109 votes
Post edited by spacebaronline on

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    I tried to vote for option three "remove the cap entirely and go full on laissez faire" but hit the wrong button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    No option for "keep it as is" AND "make it account limited."
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options

That would be other option. I don't know if I can change it.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    That would be other option. I don't know if I can change it.

One more reason to support checkbox polling.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    no - keep it as is.
    As one of those that spoke against raising the CD for a certain commodity to dilithium assignment, I'm going to be vocal again and say no to this idea. The current refinement cap is fine the way it is, at 8-9k per day per character. If your average player can't hit the 8k limit a day, how can they be expected to hit double that? And if it's account limited then it has the possibility of reducing any incentive to people to roll alts. Considering how dilithium hungry the upgrade and crafting system is. Not to mention those fleets with lower numbers of members would likely feel the pinch as well.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    Keep it as is. 8k per character, per day. If you raise it to 16k across the whole account then it would hamper those who have more than two characters.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Well pretty overwhelming no so far. What would be funny is if Captain Geko made a rare appearance on the topic and posted "yes" :*:o
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    An account refinement cap would probably be the single best solution to this problem, but there's a lot of considerations with that.

What should the account limit be? How do you determine that? Should it be based on average number of characters players have? Should it be based on average amount of dilithium refined by the playerbase?

It's not something you can slap an arbitrary number that "sounds good" on. The ramifications of such a move would be far-reaching. It could totally change the system - suddenly what constitutes reasonable prices and sinks comes into question.

A refinement cap increase in and of itself given no other changes, however, is a stupid idea put forth by stupid people, so I voted no.
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    ELIMINATE IT, it serves no purpose...all unrefined dilth gets processed regardless so the
    delay is really pointless
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    Isn't this an F.C.T.?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Isn't this an F.C.T.?!

Not as far as I can see. It's more of a poll and general player feedback. It's not demanding a change. But I think it's relevant given dilithium hit almost 500 to 1 last week and with the contraband turn in Nerf. Obviously the Dev's are paying attention to the issue.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Not enough options, I vote yes increase it, don't put an account cap on it, and please increase the max exchange rate
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    No, lower it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Isn't this an F.C.T.?!

Not as far as I can see. It's more of a poll and general player feedback. It's not demanding a change. But I think it's relevant given dilithium hit almost 500 to 1 last week and with the contraband turn in Nerf. Obviously the Dev's are paying attention to the issue.

Almost 500 now?! Wasn't it 'only' 386 or so a few days ago?!

Anyway, I doubt they'll do it, but would be pkeasantly surprised if they did. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    actually its 380/1 now - but I think that is because of the upgrade weekend. it may go back up after Thursday. Still too much dilithium floating around out there.

• Options
    No, lower it.

That would certainly set the forums on fire, a very very big fire.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    Account limited? pfft nope

it would mess up progression amongst the characters and to think i was on board with the idea till OP mentioned account limited.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    OP, create a new poll

Option 1: Remove cap on dilithium refining and remove the dil exchange cap.
    Option 2: Status quo.

Now that's a real poll. And if option one was enacted the Dilex would be 5000:1 instantly. That would make some people happy, and I think people who pay should get some benefit. Removing the refining cap is pointless, will only cause the exchange to remain 500:1 permanently, and will negatively impact F2Pers first then hurt the whales.

Why else do you think they're trying to correct the market? Players like me have stopped logging in over the past year. I am necessary content for whales. Cycle of life. Tide goes in, tide goes out.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Cryptic's given us the key to this whole flap, they just haven't advertised it... So I will...

Back when they were "adjusting" the Dil payouts from STFs, one of our upper esteemed Dev team (thinking Borticus but maybe Geko) posted that they "intend" for players to need 3.5 to 4 hours of play to "reach" the dilithium cap on their character - "in normal circumstances"...

As such, let's base a hypothetical account cap on this number. But, for sake of argument - and to give the "hardcore intelligent Dil grinders" a benefit to their grinding, let's base the account cap off of needing 3 hours to reach a character's cap.

8 "3 hour character sessions" in a 24 hour day. 8*8k=64k.

Account dilithium refining limit (normal circumstances, daily) = 64k. Maybe doubled for Dil weekends, as dil earnings are "doubled" for a lot of stuff on dil weekend...

There you go. Simple, clean, and quite in line with what they did with the Admiralty Cap... Gives a clear "upper limit", is within the "reasonable" players earning rates, gives the "hardcore" something to strive for, but locks out the "exploiters" who are just farming dil with as little effort as possible...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    dareau wrote: »
    Cryptic's given us the key to this whole flap, they just haven't advertised it... So I will...

Back when they were "adjusting" the Dil payouts from STFs, one of our upper esteemed Dev team (thinking Borticus but maybe Geko) posted that they "intend" for players to need 3.5 to 4 hours of play to "reach" the dilithium cap on their character - "in normal circumstances"...

As such, let's base a hypothetical account cap on this number. But, for sake of argument - and to give the "hardcore intelligent Dil grinders" a benefit to their grinding, let's base the account cap off of needing 3 hours to reach a character's cap.

8 "3 hour character sessions" in a 24 hour day. 8*8k=64k.

Account dilithium refining limit (normal circumstances, daily) = 64k. Maybe doubled for Dil weekends, as dil earnings are "doubled" for a lot of stuff on dil weekend...

There you go. Simple, clean, and quite in line with what they did with the Admiralty Cap... Gives a clear "upper limit", is within the "reasonable" players earning rates, gives the "hardcore" something to strive for, but locks out the "exploiters" who are just farming dil with as little effort as possible...

Well 64k seems high still. I am sure the 3 hours of play to equal cap is long before all dilithium was adjusted. Does it still take 3 hours to reach 8k?
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    This debate has gone on for years, and never ends well.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    This debate has gone on for years, and never ends well.

Though you must admit, there have been very funny reasons for people arguing for the change to the CAP. You cant say we haven't been entertained :)

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I don't know. I can understand the need for a refinement cap, but at the same time my temporal recruit is racking up more dil than I can refine. I'm still working on the recruit rewards. I'd get behind in that, especially the doff system, if I were to stop playing so I could get all that dil refined. (Some recruit rewards award dilithium, which is part of the reason why it's accumulating)

too%20much%20dil_zpsatdkqtrk.jpg~original
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    No.

In fact due to severe dil inflation, the refinement cap should be lowered. Ideally to 4000 or so, but practically speaking 6000 is a better target.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    It'll just flood the market and push the exchange up again, something we don't need.
    A couple of years ago maybe I'd have agreed with it but now if not the right time to meddle with the cap.
    If there was to be an account cap though it would need to be limited to something 8000x the number of free accounts. That way the majority of casual players are not limited and additional refining limits could be sold as an add-on from the C-store or something.
    Basically you want a system to limit the farming of dilithium but not completly ruin it for the casual players. I think lowering the cap would do massive damage to the casual player base, making it too large doesn't solve any problems.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    no - keep it as is.
    The refinement cap is the long lived hard line rule which keeps paying customers and free to player in balance in STO. It may be hard for some but it is fair for all. If you need more Dil/day and have the free time on ur hands pull another char and you can refine 16k/day. It will take some effort at the start but will pay off later on.

I refine 80k/Day and with 9 toons out of 10 at a finished state and have a pretty relaxed time in game to progress number 10 currently. Speed generating 100k fleet credits for some stuff may be a big deal for some but for my Agent of Yesterday it is just Tuesday.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Dilithium is very similair to Cruel oil in real life

If OPEC limit oil production

dilithium/Cruel oil price will be driven up

you may sell your dilithium/Cruel oil for better price

but everything else will become more expensive ( like a loaf of bread or piece of machinery )

do you know what happen to tiny dilithium/oil farmers when everything else become more expense?

I dont know I am not OPEC and I didn live in the '70 :o)

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    no - keep it as is.
    Account limited would probably not hurt gold farmers, but it would hurt anyone with alts. So I think it's not a good idea overall, even though I appreciate the intention.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.