test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Universe Class - a realistic ask?

Ok so not so much asking for one but asking if it's realistic to want one. We have a few 26th century ships (which are beauts) and there's an in game model of the Enterprise-J. Assuming to go with the Universe class name. Personally I think it's a handsome design and I would definitely purchase one if it were an option but it's model isn't actually engaged in any combat so is it likely we'll see one playable, it is a big ship after all so maybe the scaling makes it a bit too wonky to fit in.
enterprisej3.jpg
<3

Comments

• sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    The Universe class isn't going to be playable, as far as anyone knows.

Also, the Ent-J actually does fire weapons at targets in the Battle of Procyon V scenario, it's not just a static object.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Don't worry, it'll be playable at some point. Too good of a money maker for Cryptic to pass up.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Was taking a few size comparisons with my Heavy Destroyer in Ragnarok and it was as big as the middle circle in the disc. If Cryptic makes a playable version, then they would need to seriously reduce the size.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    The Universe class isn't going to be playable, as far as anyone knows.

Also, the Ent-J actually does fire weapons at targets in the Battle of Procyon V scenario, it's not just a static object.

Oh right I missed that in the chaos and only saw it firing in cutscenes.
    hypl wrote: »
    Don't worry, it'll be playable at some point. Too good of a money maker for Cryptic to pass up.

Well I'm already sold so there's a few quid guaranteed :P
    starkaos wrote: »
    Was taking a few size comparisons with my Heavy Destroyer in Ragnarok and it was as big as the middle circle in the disc. If Cryptic makes a playable version, then they would need to seriously reduce the size.

Yeah my command battlecruiser was like half the size of the saucy saucer.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    It'll be playable with a turn rate of 0. After all, in Ragnarok, it can't move as long as the ISS Enterprise-F is in front of it and it doesn't even assist you in taking down the Annorax.

So no, it won't be playable as it'd be a major annoyance in HUBs, especially DS9.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    As big as the Vengeance is, I think we're moving toward a day when the J is playable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As big as the Vengeance is, I think we're moving toward a day when the J is playable.

Isn't the Ent-J still bigger than the Vengeance?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    enterprise_comparison.png

Found this, it obviously dwarfs a galaxy, which is considered to be a large starship. Not sure how big it is compared to a vengeance since people seem to still debate how big the vengeance really is. However I do think it's a bit big to put in game as a playable ship.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    kyle223cat wrote: »
    Not sure how big it is compared to a vengeance since people seem to still debate how big the vengeance really is.

The only 'debate' is about the line Sulu spit out in ID. If Khan's jump would really have been 30 meters from the bridge to the rest of the saucer, the Vengeance would be a lot smaller than the Enterprise. Which was not the case. So the 30 meters-line was just not accurately thought out by the writers.

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Well sizes have never stopped them from adding ships and rescaling them. Compare, for example, the Defiant with some shuttles.

It could be rescaled if it were added. Anyway, besides size, why actually are there horizontal windows on that ship?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Just put my Dreadnought class next to it, Ent-J isn't much bigger at all. Can't wait to drop 3k zen on it!
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Compare, for example, the Defiant with some shuttles.

The Defiant varied in size a lot throughout DS9... but that was mostly because the production-staff was mixing things up with CGI and actual models. The latter ones were used for specific episodes lateron as well, and lead to inaccuracies. AFAIK even in CGI the Defiant was not consistently the same size.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Just put my Dreadnought class next to it, Ent-J isn't much bigger at all. Can't wait to drop 3k zen on it!

Hehe 3000 zen. This ship will probably be the first T7 or T8 ship ;)

Expect to pay at least 4000 zen for it. If it doesn't end up in a special Doff promo box :p
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    It wasn't discussed on screen, but the purpose of the J (per memory alpha) was to travel between Galaxies. Hence "universe" class. Since travel to the far parts of this galaxy is still limited/slow, I don't expect so see the J until they start to add maps from Andromeda or if they add the milky way's satellite galaxies (Saggitarius, Canis Major, Draco, etc).
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Sure, what's one more shark jump on top of the ones we already have jumped?
    I need a beer.

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Isn't the Ent-J still bigger than the Vengeance?

Yeah it's bigger. But what I'm saying is, the Vengeance is massive and is in game now. We're getting used to it. As the game evolves, we'll see other really big ships too. And we'll be able to move toward a time when the J won't seem as large as you all think it will. The model is in game. And big ships are getting bigger. We're "moving toward a day when the J is playable."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It wasn't discussed on screen, but the purpose of the J (per memory alpha) was to travel between Galaxies. Hence "universe" class.

Class names aren't much to go on, I mean, the Galaxy class can't circumnavigate the whole galaxy by itself.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Noooooooo no no no no no no. No. No. NO.

No, we should get everything in scale or not get it at all.​​
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Universal class... the new Starship Discovery from the 2017 series... you can see similar elementals!

I just noticed that.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Talking with Doug about this ship he said it was on the order of 2 miles long. So yeah if anything it is way small in the mission. When I told him it is in the game he was pleasently surprised given the throw away nature of it in the series.
    What, their both ugly?​​

I'm just going to casually assume you don't know a handsome face when you see it :P
    Regarding the J that is, Discovery aint pretty
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Universal class... the new Starship Discovery from the 2017 series... you can see similar elementals!

I just noticed that.

Have you ever seen the design work done for Phase 2 by Ralph McQuarrie? The new NCC-1031 really ties into that and given the new series accordding to waht I have read is between TOS and TNG fits in well. It looks like an intermediate design between the Saucer/neckpylon/Secondary hull/pylon/warp nacelle design of the TOS Connie and ships and the blended body Galaxy/Intrepid/Defiant designs of TNG.
    jonja.net/Phase%2011/phaseiiprot.jpg
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    What, their both ugly?

I'm just going to casually assume you don't know a handsome face when you see it :P
    Regarding the J that is, Discovery aint pretty

Lighten up. I was joking. dino2-9.gif​​

So was I does ":P" no longer signify that for the crazy kids online.
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

Hehe 3000 zen. This ship will probably be the first T7 or T8 ship ;)

Expect to pay at least 4000 zen for it. If it doesn't end up in a special Doff promo box :p

The Tier system has been an absolute travesty and train wreck since the T5/6 debacle. They just need to remove Ship Tiers completely and stop trying to step up the pricing because greed. Setting an arbitrary "value" based on the latest boff seating available in a game with newly introduced gameplay mechanics was (and still is) a recipe for disaster. If there was some sort of way to "balance" previously released ships to utilize current mechanics, this would not be such an issue. (like the T5U token tried to address vs T6, for example)

Hell, I can't wait for them to go ahead with their pricing schedule for T7/8/9 etc., if they want to see this game tank (and quickly) I say let them. A few "whales" aren't going to keep the lights on- people just aren't going to keep paying the price of a full AAA game for a single in-game pixel spaceship that has no value outside of the game. They might be able to keep randomly selling in 3+ packs, but that's about it.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.